X-MEN 3: Bryan Singer's version.

protocida

Avenger
Reaction score
I read on Wikipedia that Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty e Dan Harris had a complet plot for "X-men 3" before they dropped the project, that included Magneto enlisting Emma Frost's help to control the ressurrected Jean Grey and, therefore, the Phoenix, and that, in the end, Jean would claim to Cyclops to kill her, and, as he does it, her soul would become a cosmic entity, much like the comic book version of Phoenix.

Does anyone have more details about that, if true? It got me really interrested. :applaud

hmm interesting, but i dnt knw if that would fit into the world that Singer and Co established

hmm interesting, but i dnt knw if that would fit into the world that Singer and Co established

Agree. I don't like the idea of Jean's soul becoming a cosmic entity. I dont like that stuff in the comics, and am glad that it wasn't in the film.

I read on Wikipedia that Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty e Dan Harris had a complet plot for "X-men 3" before they dropped the project, that included Magneto enlisting Emma Frost's help to control the ressurrected Jean Grey and, therefore, the Phoenix, and that, in the end, Jean would claim to Cyclops to kill her, and, as he does it, her soul would become a cosmic entity, much like the comic book version of Phoenix.

Does anyone have more details about that, if true? It got me really interrested. :applaud

I posted about it on here. They completed a rough treatment of the story but no more than that. A book called Mutant Cinema adds some more details.

Here's my blog on it...

STORY ideas for Bryan Singer's third X-Men movie - which he abandoned to make Superman Returns - have surfaced in a book which goes behind the scenes of Fox's hit film franchise.

Brett Ratner was eventually hired to take on the X-Men project, with a script by Zak Penn and Simon Kinberg, and the resulting film, X-Men: The Last Stand, came out in May 2006.

Author Thomas McClean's book Mutant Cinema: The X-Men Trilogy From Comics to Screen answers some of the questions raised by fans, who have been desperate to find out what Singer and his own writers Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty had been planning for their unmade version of the third film.

Dougherty had already revealed some time ago that they had wanted to cast Sigourney Weaver as Emma Frost, a comic book psychic who would be reimagined as an empath able to control people's emotions. Some reports have suggested that Frost would have been an old flame of Xavier and would have emotionally manipulated a resurrected, unstable Jean Grey into the evil Dark Phoenix.

McLean's book adds new information:

Dougherty says the resolution of the Phoenix plot would definitely have been a major part of their version: "The main element for me was Jean coming back and learning how much power she could wield - that she just became overcome by it."

Dougherty says that many of the ideas he was considering, such as Magneto trying to use Phoenix as a weapon, ended up in the filmed version. He also says that the idea of Jean using Cyclops' power to kill herself was one they liked, though they would have made it clear that only Phoenix's body was dying. Her spirit would live on, evolving Jean past mutant and into a godlike cosmic state.

Dougherty likens it to the closing lines of Arthur C Clarke's novel 2001: A Space Odyssey in which the Star-Child that was astronaut David Bowman hovers over the Earth: "Then he waited, marshalling his thoughts and brooding over his still untested powers. For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next. But he would think of something."

The author says in the chapter notes at the end of the book that this material came from a telephone interview with Dougherty in September 2006.

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2008/11/x3lit.html

^That sounds great. I really like that.

It sounds an interesting treatment, for sure, though hard to judge in detail as there is not much detail! The star-child concept was already hinted at to some extent, with the cosmic figure seen in the opening credits for X2.

thanks for posting that X-Maniac but yea, it's still not enough.

It sounds an interesting treatment, for sure, though hard to judge in detail as there is not much detail! The star-child concept was already hinted at to some extent, with the cosmic figure seen in the opening credits for X2.

Yeah, that's what grabbed me. But actually exploring that could have been glorious :hehe:

Oh man! That would have been awesome. Freaking FOX. I would've waited for Singer to finish Superman Returns so he could've used this story.

Oh man! That would have been awesome. Freaking FOX. I would've waited for Singer to finish Superman Returns so he could've used this story.

What's the guaranteee that Singer would have come back? What if SR had been a smash hit and a sequel was immediately greenlit? And what if he was offered something else he preferred after the SR sequel?

What about the X-Men cast availability? And how much would the actors have aged by the time the film was made?

Keep dreaming though! :oldrazz:

You.need.to.let.go.

maybe brett ratner should of directed superman returns and singer should of stay with xmen 3 :p

maybe brett ratner should of directed superman returns and singer should of stay with xmen 3 :p

And maybe i should have won the lottery jackpot last weekend. The odds are probably about the same.

You.need.to.let.go.

I think it is you who needs to let go :o I can't go into any thread in this board withouth seeing one of your posts being condescending to people who either a) Didn't like the film or b) Wished for something better. You've been in the Superman boards. You know how it is. I sure do. I certainly don't police the SR boards looking for haters who I can belittle. I engage them ocassionally, but that's it. You need to let these people have some wiggle room.

Rant over :o And don't take it personal, I like you overall, which makes your behavior in these boards really odd to me.

I think it is you who needs to let go :o I can't go into any thread in this board withouth seeing one of your posts being condescending to people who either a) Didn't like the film or b) Wished for something better. You've been in the Superman boards. You know how it is. I sure do. I certainly don't police the SR boards looking for haters who I can belittle. I engage them ocassionally, but that's it. You need to let these people have some wiggle room.

Rant over :o And don't take it personal, I like you overall, which makes your behavior in these boards really odd to me.

Right. I think you are mistaking my dry, sardonic humour and straightforward honesty for being condescending. I'm just telling it like it is, as I see it - if people want to argue back about precisely how/why I'm wrong, I'm willing to listen.

I don't like the fact you immediately think I am somehow in the wrong and that everyone else posting something to which I am responding is in the right. What if the other person is wrong, or is being silly or immature or ignorant? What about THAT behaviour. Kind of odd that you should single out my no-nonsense honesty rather than the immaturity and dishonesty.

Right. I think you are mistaking my dry, sardonic humour and straightforward honesty for being condescending. I'm just telling it like it is, as I see it - if people want to argue back about precisely how/why I'm wrong, I'm willing to listen.

I don't like the fact you immediately think I am somehow in the wrong and that everyone else posting something to which I am responding is in the right. What if the other person is wrong, or is being silly or immature or ignorant? What about THAT behaviour. Kind of odd that you should single out my no-nonsense honesty rather than the immaturity and dishonesty.

I haven't read every argument you have gotten into in here, but I'm talking about the fact that I click on a particular thread and I see that you are being condescending to the other guy, and I don't get that vibe from the other posters. But if you can show me these posts were people were being inmature/hostile to you I'll be happy to review the situation :hehe:

I haven't read every argument you have gotten into in here, but I'm talking about the fact that I click on a particular thread and I see that you are being condescending to the other guy, and I don't get that vibe from the other posters. But if you can show me these posts were people were being inmature/hostile to you I'll be happy to review the situation :hehe:

Honestly...it doesn't matter, I take your point, there'll be no need for your 'reviewing the situation', it's about as important as Magneto moving a paperclip. But I don't think you should perceive every bit of honesty or a dry quip as being condescending.:cwink:

Honestly...it doesn't matter, I take your point, there'll be no need for your 'reviewing the situation', it's about as important as Magneto moving a paperclip. But I don't think you should perceive every bit of honesty or a dry quip as being condescending.:cwink:

Well, I'm not the only one I'm afraid to say... :oldrazz:

Well, I'm not the only one I'm afraid to say... :oldrazz:

Well I'm not 'afraid to say' anything.

And don't think I don't know what's really going on. You're the second person to suddenly materialise in here and accuse me of something. It's pointless trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

You certainly aren't. Or is that not why people love you?

And don't think I don't know what's really going on. You're the second person to suddenly materialise in here and accuse me of something. It's pointless trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

You know nothing. What are you implying? That I came here for you? I originally came after seeing the dreadful Wolverine trailer. I don't visit these boards. But Wolverine brought back memories of X3 and here I am. I was not aware of your reputation until I actually got here and saw for myself. An interesting experience, to say the least.

You certainly aren't. Or is that not why people love you?

So you are saying people love me now? Because that's how it reads.

The only people on here I've fallen out with are largely those who have an opposing view on X3 and somehow feel threatened by my posts. Tough on them.

You know nothing. What are you implying? That I came here for you? I originally came after seeing the dreadful Wolverine trailer. I don't visit these boards. But Wolverine brought back memories of X3 and here I am. I was not aware of your reputation until I actually got here and saw for myself. An interesting experience, to say the least.

Well, good for you. This all still feels like watching Magneto moving a paperclip.:hehe:

Since I've been implied to be part of this convo I'll put in my two cents.

This certainly hasn't been the first time that people have used the word condescending to describe you X-maniac. I've been here long enough, pre X2 days, (this one's a new username, can't remember my old one :p ) to know as much.

And the "detractors" were regulars, and high up in the rungs on the X-boards last time, so the noobs know no better defense is certainly not valid here. IIRC tho, your defense has always been: "you're the first one (or the second person, as the case may be) to call me out on this." Glad to see nothing's changed. :D

Isn't it possible it might be true? For instance, no one's accused someone like say Neto Magnus (sorry Neto! :p ), of being such.

That's all from me on this topic.

Since I've been implied to be part of this convo I'll put in my two cents.

You weren't implied to be part of this at all. I was referring to The Batman, not you.

This certainly hasn't been the first time that people have used the word condescending to describe you X-maniac. I've been here long enough, pre X2 days, (this one's a new username, can't remember my old one :p ) to know as much.

So give us your old username then. Let's have some sincerity. Stop hiding.

Of course some people think I'm condescending. I'm intelligent and articulate and older than quite a few people here, so they naturally sense that. If we're not on the same level (in age, etc), then there will perhaps be a perception that I am condescending. I can't do anything about that. They also find it easier to attack a person like me who demolishes their nitpicks and fragile arguments - that's happened before with people trying to discredit me because I dare to contradict them. Tough.

And the "detractors" were regulars, and high up in the rungs on the X-boards last time, so the noobs know no better defense is certainly not valid here. IIRC tho, your defense has always been: "you're the first one (or the second person, as the case may be) to call me out on this." Glad to see nothing's changed. :D

I don't recall that being my defence. I'm referring to this particular occasion.
What you see on here is me, i cannot alter my entire personality so some people's fragile egos are less bruised by what I say. I've seen a lot worse said by others on this forum than the straightforward and sometimes ironic replies I give.

Isn't it possible it might be true? For instance, no one's accused someone like say Neto Magnus (sorry Neto! :p ), of being such.

And if it is true? What then? Are you going to somehow alter my persnality? How I act on here is how I am. I'm 42 years old and this is me. If people say anything on here, there will be opposing views and sometimes friction; if people say something wrong or stupid, then there will be replies calling them out on it.

There is an assortment of emoticons on here with various reactions including poking out your tongue :oldrazz: or rolling your eyes :whatever: or snickering :hehe: - how are any of those mocking/snarky/snipy responses any different from your perception of my being condescending? The idea of taking a jab at someone on here is well catered for in the emoticons, so it shouldn't be a surprise to read posts that sometimes seem to have a mocking, ironic or sarcastic or condescending tone.

I can't actually believe we are having this discussion. :whatever:

You weren't implied to be part of this at all. I was referring to The Batman, not you.

Then that's three people... :p

So give us your old username then. Let's have some sincerity. Stop hiding.

Who said I was hiding? :huh: Don't you think that if i remembered my own username/password, I would be using that old profile? It was a username that was registered using an email address that I don't have access to...an old ISP.

Of course some people think I'm condescending. I'm intelligent and articulate and older than quite a few people here, so they naturally sense that. If we're not on the same level (in age, etc), then there will perhaps be a perception that I am condescending. I can't do anything about that. They also find it easier to attack a person like me who demolishes their nitpicks and fragile arguments - that's happened before with people trying to discredit me because I dare to contradict them. Tough.

This whole paragraph is the very definition of the word.

I certainly don't pretend to know your personal details. So I don't think age, career, level of education etc. has anything to do with that. I really didn't know you were that much older than me, for instance, reading your posts.

What I'm calling out is what I observe, the belittling of other posters. Clearly with these past few posts on this thread, I'm not the only one who's come to observe that.

Btw this the last from me. I really can't be bothered by this.

Edit: I guess what I'm (we're?) saying is this is a public forum, where one is expected to play along with other kids in the sandbox. Don't you think it sounds more reasonable to "play nice" with the rest of the kids? But you are right, you are free to act however you want.

Last edited:
So you are saying people love me now? Because that's how it reads.

Come on, Maniac.

The only people on here I've fallen out with are largely those who have an opposing view on X3 and somehow feel threatened by my posts. Tough on them.

Well that's funny. Because everytime someone posts something about how X3 "could have, should have" been different in any way, etc, etc, you seem to feel threatened and respond to the post right away telling people to basically stop wasting their time. And it's always you. It's like you can't stand people not tolerating X3 or simply not accepting it. While you might find the action altruistic in nature :-)whatever:) it's also another way of telling people to stop bashing the movie you love. That's the way you come across as.

It's like you're the self appointed mod of the X3 boards, as far as I've seen, you practically police the place.

I guess what I'm (we're?) saying is this is a public forum, where one is expected to play along with other kids in the sandbox. Don't you think it sounds more reasonable to "play nice" with the rest of the kids? But you are right, you are free to act however you want.

I really think you are overreacting. I don't really have a problem with most people on these boards.

This is all because I might sometimes say 'it's been three years since the movie, isn't it time to move on?', which to me sounds a perfectly logical viewpoint to add to a debate.

The movie won't be unmade or remade for you, me or anyone else. There are loads of films I loathe, but i don't find forums just so i can go and on about them.

I don't attack all 'anti-X3' posts or posters, there are many such threads I've left alone. I come on here to chat/discuss/debate and add my views.

If someone doesn't like me telling them to move on, then they should explain why they are not going to move on and why they can't let go of the film. Let's hear some logical, intelligent debate about why you shouldn't let go of hating the movie after three years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"