Batman '89 The Danny Elfman Appreciation Thread

Came across this YT video of a pianist dressed as Catwoman playing pieces ("The Batman Theme", "Waltz To The Death", and "Descent Into Mystery") from Elfman's B89 score. Very impressive!!! Especially for someone performing in costume with those cat claws.

[YT]C8L4xnhlocM[/YT]

My favourite scores from Batman 89.

That was just perrrrfect!

epic.jpg

Well the soundtrack details for Elfman's score to Epic has finally been released. I started to believe this score wasn't going to get an album release as long as the news took. Sony Classics will release the album May 28. And is of course already available for pre-order at Amazon. It has 21 tracks. And looks like it's just Elfman's score without any unnecessary songs added by various artists, which is a good thing, imo.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/05/03/epic-soundtrack-details/

Finally, an announcement. I really don't think I'm ever going to see Epic, but I at least want to hear Elfman's score for it.

Cool! It's good to know that Morris is actually interested in building a professional relationship with Elfman. B/c usually Elfman gets to work with these type of directors once. Anyways I enjoyed his SOP score and can't wait to hear what Elfman will come up for The Unknown Known: The Life and Times of Donald Rumsfeld.

I read a bit back that anytime the Simpsons is played on television in syndication, in any country, Danny Elfman is paid $3 for each episode.

Wow... and the show can be played up to 8 times a day here in the UK/Ireland. Sometimes more.

Elfman said once that he always got royalties for Tales From The Crypt, BTAS etc but not a penny for The Simpsons. I don't know if things have changed since then.

Informative interview with Marc Mann (who does the MIDI Programming for Elfman's scores) who talks about the process of MIDI programming and mock ups in Elfman's scores. As well as using Digital Performer to accomplish the mock ups of the score before scoring with an orchestra.

[YT]GCu4yxbNXAg[/YT]

I saw Epic this morning. Thought it was very entertaining for a family movie. Though the story & plot isn't anything special and very cliched, but it works for me, I still enjoyed it. The animation was top notch, imo. I don't mind the voice actors except maybe one or two (Pitbull and Aziz Ansari) that was used. I was surprised I enjoyed the movie b/c I wasn't expecting much from it. Definitely something for the family to enjoy.
I thought Elfman's sweeping score was excellent in the movie and really intensified the animation on screen. He gives the leafmen in the movie a "celtic" tone. I also noticed two themes that's recited throughout the movie. The score does give sort of a John Powell vibe during some moments in the film. I'm sure Chris Wedge (director of Ice Age and Robots) probably wanted Elfman to take that approach. It's the tone of music Wedge and Blue Sky probably want in their animated pictures. Which make sense b/c Powell scored their Ice Age sequels, Robots, Rio, and Horton Hears A Who. It doesn't bother me b/c it shows Elfman getting out of his comfort zone. It also helps prove to the naysayers that Elfman does have range and willing to pursue new concepts for his scores. Btw, Elfman's music isn't a John Powell patische job. Elfman makes that Powell sound his own. It's still very much Elfman but following his approach of the scores to the Blue Sky animated films. It's fresh and adds a variable side in Elfman's pallete of scores. I enjoyed what I heard with the picture and look foward to picking it up. Hopefully in the future Elfman will get plenty opportunities to score pictures like these.

I love the score. One of the themes, I'm not sure what or who it's for, but it tends to play the more 'wonderment' portions of the score, is one of Elfman's best ever themes. It's chilling in The Selection, Tara's Gift, Antlers and Escape.

Having seen the film do you know what this theme is for Elevator Man?

I'm not sure. It might be Tara's (Beyonce's character who's the Queen of the leafmen/people and is sort of a forest goddess, who's looking for an heir) theme. But it also could be a theme for the "forest", which is basically the world of the leafmen. And it also could be a theme for the "pod", which plays an integral part to the plot. Through the pod is how Tara will choose her heir. Throughout the movie the protagonists are trying to protect the pod from the villains, who are called Boggans and they basically want to destroy the entire forest b/c they pretty much destroy anything they come across like a disease. That's why they want the pod to prevent it from preserving the forest forever. I have yet to hear the score outside the movie, but going off those tracks you mentioned it might be Tara's theme. But I wouldn't be surprised if the themes represented Tara, the Forest/Leafmen's home, and the pod.

I know I posted a few pages back that I wouldn't purchase this b/c it's a digital release only, but after seeing the movie not too long ago.The Elfman fan in me couldn't resist. So I bought it and it's my first (and hopefully only) digital album download.

I thought the movie was pretty good as well. I wasn't expecting to like it, b/c I'm not into these kind of movies. Plus I personally think the director David O. Russell is a jerk. I thought Jennifer Lawrence gave a really good performance and nearly stole the movie.

IMO Elfman's score in the film was good. It's not a lot of score in it, but what's there is mostly underscore. I'm sure the film didn't require a lot of score b/c it would feel unnecssary. I felt the score stood out in the movie with that bittersweet piano theme for the main character Bradley Cooper played. I remember that theme staying with me after the movie was over as well. I will say the score is definitely the heart of the movie. And it heighten certain moments in the film. To quote something Tobey Maguire said about Elfman's Spider-man score (though I might be paraphrasing what he said)"even when I'm not paying attention to it I'm feeling something emotionally from it". That pretty much sums up how I feel about the score in the movie.

And I just got done listening to the album this morning. It was barely 20 minutes long, but it was a very pleasant listen. The score is mostly piano, acoustic/electric guitars, and vocals (which are all done by Elfman, I believe)The main/emotional theme/motif played on the piano is kind of repetitive, but I can hear it in my head as I type this. There was another motif that he used that gives off this 60s rock vibe. It's a counterpoint to the main/emotional theme/motif. This score blends seamlessly with the overall tone of the film. As well as with the soundtrack. It almost sounds like something from some 60s rock band. And that's a compliment b/c I wasn't expecting a score to a film like SLP from Elfman.

This score won't be everyone's cup of tea, but for those who liked Elfman's Taking Woodstock and the dramatic guitar bits from The Kingdom. I'm sure you'll enjoy this. It's very pleasant, graceful, and at times uplifting. It really emotes the main character's goals to better himself for the approval of his estranged wife.

This is another score that shows Elfman's range as a composer. I bet those who've seen the movie didn't know Elfman scored it. The score isn't typical of him. No dark, gothic, whimsical, cartoon-ey, heroic music/themes present. This is a very mature Elfman score that has little bit of quirk, but a lot of heart. It's Elfman playing around and having a good time.

"GoofTrack" is a hilarious track with the funny vocals by Elfman. I definitely recommend this to Elfman fans that have yet to pick this up. It's not one of his best scores, but it's pleasant score to listen to. I'm glad I went along and purchased it.

Okay I got a few things to mention dealing with Elfman today. First off I want to give a Happy Belated 60th Birthday to Mr. Danny Elfman, who's birthday was two Tuesdays ago. I wasn't able to post up here on that day b/c one of the administrators, who seriously needs to resign from that gig b/c this is the third time he banned me for an inane reason, temporarily banned me for a little over a week for an absurd reason, imo . This guy obviously has some sort of beef with me. Anyways it's amazing that Elfman's 60 he doesn't act his age. That's not an insult either.

Second, these past couple of days I've been listening to Elfman's SLP. That score is very addictive, imo. It might have to do with it being 20 minutes long, but for some reason I've been having the urge to listen to this score every morning. I don't know why. I guess the score motivates me to take on the rest of the day no matter how rough it gets. And though I haven't done it myself. The score can also be good jogging music especially during the morning like Cooper's character does in the film.

I also wanted to share this...
[YT]p-3jFfvCSdE[/YT]
Man do I envy those who get to go to this concert in London this November I believe. Hopefully it gets released on a pressed CD. I would love to hear Elfman's new arrangements of his scores to Burton's films. It definitely will be intriguing to hear a matured Elfman take on his older scores, where he was still learning as a film composer at that time.

The next two videos are courtesy of pauldael's YT channel. I appreciate him for finding and sharing these rare never before seen videos of Elfman at these events.

Here's a video of Elfman and his daughter at the Scream 2 premiere back in '97' obviously. You can't hear anything b/c it's muted for some reason. He wrote a piece in the film called "Cassandra Aria". The music took place during the scene where Sidney was on stage rehearsing a scene with her theater class and she either sees or is hallucinating Ghostface terrorizing her. Always wondered how Elfman got involved in Scream 2. It's never brought up of why or how he was brought in or offered to score that one sequence.

[YT]uOl0TzRajlg[/YT]

The next video Elfman was at the 67th Venice Film Festival back in 2010. And towards the end you hear Elfman speak French or Italian in the video, which was cool. Didn't know Elfman knew that language. The man's full of surprises.

[YT]1xWIlBzgt24[/YT]

Last edited:
I wish we had gotten one more Batman score out of Elfman.

Out of all of the television themes he composed, Tales From the Crypt is my favorite. Out of his film work, Sleepy Hollow remains my favorite, with Batman Returns running at close second.

Selina's theme alone in Returns makes the score a fantastic listen. That theme is so tragic and full of angst and emotion and a bit of desperation - really tugs at the heart strings.

I still think Edward Scissorhands and Batman Returns are his masterpieces.

Yes, some cues from Batman are more iconic, but Returns is the more cohesive piece.

I always wonder what it had been like if elfman had done the score for batman forever cause even to this day i still wonder.:hmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"