Batman '89 The Danny Elfman Appreciation Thread

Entertaining Elfman interview back in 2002. Eventhough I think it's actually during 2001 b/c he talks a lot about his POTA'01' score. Heck the video opens with the interviewer talking about the marketing for POTA'01'. Elfman even talks about a near death experience he had during one of his Boingo concerts (@18:22). The interview as a whole is about 35 minutes long.

[YT]MQ-cJPrlu98[/YT]

[YT]hFfVX3J3n-U[/YT]

Another Elfman interview (nearly 29 minutes long) taking place at his home studio while he's working on MIIB, He doesn't really talk about MIIB , but mostly how he works as a composer and even talks about Spider-Man (@12:18). Very interesting that he was mostly scoring to the pre-vis with some real images in between, but not the finished picture b/c the effects weren't completed yet. He finally got to see the finished product at the movie's red carpet premiere.

[YT]IvQVqhBjLfU[/YT]

The second video is Elfman playing back a snippet of his mock-up of the MIIB main titles, which sounds almost exactly like it does in the film but with via synthesisers. This video is basically an extension from the interview above. It's about 4 minutes long.

[YT]fg_L6Ui7xjs[/YT]

Frankenweenie won Best Music and Best Animated Film at the Saturn Awards. Here's a pic of Danny with his sixth Saturn Award, http://twitpic.com/czdugk

He previously won for Nightmare Before Christmas, Mars Attacks!, Men In Black, Sleepy Hollow and Spider-Man.

Last edited:
Nice photo of Elfman. I just found out about him winning another Saturn award myself, which I didn't know he won 5 from previous awards . I didn't see that coming at all. I'm happy for Elfman. It's amazing the Frankenweenie score won with the competition it was up against. It beat out Mychael Danna's "oscar winning" score for Life Of Pi, Dario Marianelli's Anna Karenina, Thomas Newman's Skyfall, Howard Shore's The Hobbit:An Unexpected Journey, and Zimmer's TDKR, which shouldn't have been nominated in the first place, imo. Congrats to Mr. Elfman. I did enjoy his Frankenweenie score.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/06/26/danny-elfman-wins-saturn-award-for-frankenweenie/

Eventhough the film and score have been released a month and a half ago. Scoring Sessions.com just posted photos of the scoring sessions for Elfman's "Epic".

Contains 8 photos from the scoring sessions.
http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/256/

Here's all 35 images of the scoring sessions.
http://www.scoringsessions.com/sessions/7756

Would've been nice if they had the sessions in video. Gives a better feel to see and hear the orchestra perform. Oh well.

epic.jpg

When it comes to Elfman I know I normally give my first impressions of a score album after listening to it. I decided for Epic I’ll listen to it a few times (four in this case) before I give my final thoughts about. Usually when I give my first impressions on a score I miss a few things that I notice later after repeat listens. I thought for this score it would be easier to explain what I got from it after a couple more listens this time.

Each listen of “Epic” I enjoyed more and more. It’s a very fun, exciting and adventurous score, imho. It didn’t feel very typical of Elfman, but it felt very much like an Elfman score. If that makes sense. Elfman’s score is very much in the vein of the scores to the Blue Sky Studio animated films. It has the spirit of John Powell’s scores in those films, which I‘m sure Blue Sky Studios wanted. Although, Elfman was respectful and open to that approach he was still able to put his own spin on it, imo.

I’ve already gave my thoughts of the film back in May, which I enjoyed. I found Elfman’s score (in the film) blended with the animation seamlessly. It brought the story, animation, and movie to life, imo. And helped the already stunning animation feel more exhilarating. I thought it carried a lot of weight in the movie and not just emotionally.

The score has a few themes and motifs. The Leafmen, which are the heroes/protagonists of the movie, have a very celtic theme, which is very catchy, festive, celebratory, and even playful. With the Spanish and acoustic guitars, I believe. There’s very good use of the theme in “Leafmen”. “Moonhaven Parade” “Small” and “Epic Finale”. You can hear the theme sprinkled throughout the score as well. I like how many different ways emotionally the theme is played it’s at times heroic, tragic, romantic, whimsical, and intense in certain tracks. Really supporting the many situations the protagonists face throughout the movie. The Leafmen theme never outstayed it’s welcome or felt repetitive either, imo.

There’s an emotional theme which I consider the heart of the score. It’s the Tara theme/Pod theme/Survival theme. In the movie Tara is a goddess who’s looking for an heir to take her place. The Pod, which is suppose to ensure the survival of the leafman, their inhabitants, and forest/home. Once again Elfman makes very good use of that theme throughout the score. You can hear it in the first half of “Tara’s Chambers”, in “The Selection”, ”Ambush”, “Tara’s Gift”, “Rings Of Knowledge”, “Antlers”, in the conclusion of “Escape”, in the middle of “False Start”, in the conclusion of “Epic Final Confrontation”, in ”Return”, “and a snippet of it halfway through “Epic Finale”. The theme is at times is very whimsical (which emphasizes the magic, beauty, and power of Tara/the Pod), touching, tender, and sentimental, imho. I feel that this theme also explores the goal of the leafmen to protect the pod from the antagonists to ensure the forest’s survival, imo. This theme is easily up there with Elfman’s more moving themes, imho.

There’s also a quirky motif for the father, who’s daughter magically shrinks to the size of the leafmen (thanks to Tara) and ends up helping them protect the pod from the Boggans (antagonists that want to rule and destroy the forest) throughout the movie. In the movie the father is an absent minded scientist that’s searching for the Leafmen b/c he’s found proof of their existence but has yet to find and capture one to study. So he sets up cameras and alarms throughout the forest in order to do so. The motif for the father is very jolly, quirky, and comical underlining the eccentricity of the character perfectly with his inventions and devotion of discovering the Leafmen. You can hear the motif in “Meet Dad”, “Alarms“, ”Many Leaves“. And is played more mysterious and elusive at the beginning of “Rings of Knowledge”. It compliments the dad’s excitement of discovering the unknown, imo.

There’s another sentimental theme in the score that‘s mostly played on piano. This one represents the recovering relationship between the father and daughter in the movie. The daughter visits her dad’s place (by the forest ) to spend more time with him. As both of her parents are recovering from a marriage that’s going on the rocks b/c of her father’s devotion to his peculiar profession instead of his family‘s needs. It’s a tender and bittersweet theme that enacts the father/daughter relationship in the story divinely. You can hear the theme opening the track “The Selection”, also in “In the House”, “Epic Final Confrontation”, and at the end of “Return“. The theme is in the vein of Elfman’s emotional father/son theme in Real Steel.

The Boggans also have sort of a motif, which I’m still having a hard time identifying. It’s more dense than his usual villain themes/motifs. I think you can hear it in the middle of “Tara’s Chamber”, in some of “Ambush”, “Girl Meets Boy”, “Kidnapped”, and “False Start”. Though the motif is grim and. threatening as the Boggans themselves are to the protagonists and the forest. This motif is the least interesting of the score, imo. It’s a little too dense and nothing special really, imo, but the choral moments in it are great. It adds a sense doom and dread to the adventure. Also of note it’s the only somber motif in the whole score. Which detractors might find unusual for Elfman b/c overall this score isvery lighthearted as is the movie.

The highlights of the score for me are “Leafmen”, “Pursuit”, “The Selection”, “Ambush”, “Tara’s Gift”, “Small”, “Rings Of Knowledge”, “Antlers”, “Escape”, “False Start“, “Epic Final Confrontation”, “Return”, and “Epic Finale”.

I enjoyed this score very much. It brings a neat counterbalance to Elfman’s other fantasy score this year “Oz The Great and Powerful”, which I also enjoyed . With the exception of the sinister villain music it has pretty much everything an adventure score needs, imo. One of the better scores that I’ve heard this summer also. I was surprised by how dynamic, robust, and affectionate the score was, at times b/c even I didn’t know what to expect from Elfman with this one. Though I figured it would be a fun and exciting score when I saw a preview of the movie. The score deserves more attention than it’s barely getting, imho.

Dates and other locations dealing with the Elfman/Burton concert which was posted on a FilmScoreMonthly forum.

elfmanburton said:
2341.jpg

DANNY ELFMAN’S MUSIC FROM THE FILMS OF TIM BURTON concert has added more performances in additional cities. The schedule includes:

LONDON (World Premier)- October 7, 2013- Danny Elfman performing with the BBC Concert Orchestra- Royal Albert Hall
www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/danny-elfman/default.aspx

LEEDS- October 8, 2013- Danny Elfman performing with the BBC Concert Orchestra- First Direct Arena
www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Danny-Elfmans-Music-From-the-Films-tickets/artist/1897589?tm_link=edp_Artist_Name

GLASGOW- October 9, 2013- Danny Elfman performing with the BBC Concert Orchestra- The Hydro
www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Danny-Elfmans-Music-From-the-Films-tickets/artist/1897589?tm_link=edp_Artist_Name

BIRMINGHAM- October 10, 2013- Danny Elfman performing with the BBC Concert Orchestra- NIA Birmingham

DETROIT (American Premiere)- October 30, 2013- Detroit Symphony Orchestra- Orchestra Hall at the Max M. Fischer Music Center
www.dso.org/ShowEventsView.aspx?id=1368&prod=1367

VANCOUVER- (Canadian Premier) November 23, 2013- Vancouver Symphony Orchestra- The Orpheum Theater
www.vancouversymphony.ca/

SEATTLE- June 27 and June 28, 2014- Seattle Symphony- S. Mark Taper Auditorium, Benaroya Hall
www.seattlesymphony.org/symphony/buy/single/production.aspx?id=14604&src=t

More dates to be announced.
www.cami.com/?webid=2341

Also good news for those living in LA . This was also posted by the same user on the FilmScoreMonthly forums.

elfmanburton said:
transparent.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]DANNY ELFMAN'S MUSIC FROM THE FILMS OF TIM BURTON will have a special Halloween Concert on Oct. 31 in Los Angeles at the Nokia Theatre.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The concert will feature conductor John Mauceri leading the 87-piece Hollywood Symphony Orchestra and the 45-member Page L.A. Choir. Elfman himself will appear at the concert to perform songs from "The Nightmare Before Christmas." It will be Elfman's first live performance in the US in 18 years since his Oingo Boingo final concert on Halloween night in 1995 in L.A..[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The concert is produced by Columbia Artists Music, LLC and Kraft-Engel Management.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]"Danny Elfman's Music from the Films of Tim Burton" is scheduled for 8:15 p.m. on Oct. 31 at the Nokia Theatre at L.A. Live. Tickets go on sale Sept. 13 at 10 a.m. through AXS.com, and by phone at (888) 929-7849.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Updates on other cities performing the concert can be found at http://www.cami.com/?webid=2341. More dates to be announced soon.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Here is an Los Angeles Times article about the concert:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-danny-elfman-tim-burton-concert-20130829,0,2774981.story[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
dannyelfmanIHP-AM8-19-13v6.jpg
[/FONT]
transparent.gif

20121106-002026.jpg

These past few days I’ve been listening to Elfman’s Hitchcock score, which for the most the part I enjoyed. As well as the film. Even though it didn’t really go as in depth into the making of "Psycho" as I thought it would. The plot mostly balances the production with Hitchcock & Alma’s personal/professional relationship. Both Hopkins and Mirren do a nice job of exploring Hitchcock’s more flawed and emotional side. As well as their marriage on film.

Elfman’s score is mostly underscore in the film. Though still very effective none the less. The album is nearly forty minutes long. Hitchcock does remind me of some of his more dramatic 90s scores in a good way. It has grim, somber, jolly, and touching moments throughout the score. And though Elfman has mentioned that he wasn’t channeling Herrmann on this one. At least consciously anyway. And for the most part he’s correct, but some tracks share the spirit of Herrmann's music. I can’t really describe it.

There’s two themes/motifs as far as I know. There might’ve been third motif. If so it was vaguely used. The main theme “Theme from Hitchcock” is very dispirited, but bittersweet. To me it represents Hitchcock’s more intimate and emotional side. A side mostly hidden from Hollywood. When I hear the theme/motif play I can sympathize with the character, which was probably Elfman’s intention. Elfman sprinkles it throughout the album turning it inside out. Emulating a variety of emotions from it. This theme (to me) also depicts Hitchcock’s and Alma’s marriage. As well as how important she is in Hitchcock’s life. He needs her as much as he needs movies to make.

The secondary theme/motif is a lot more playful and humorous. The vibe I get from this particular motif represents the fun, pleasant, witty, and glamorous side of Hitchcock and his method of filmmaking, imho. I feel it touches upon Hitchcock’s professional relationship with his mate, Alma. This motif also echos the film's oddball humor. I love his jazzy rendition of it in “Selling Psycho”. As Elfman did with the main theme, he explores and tries different colors with the secondary motif. Proving it can do a range of things emotionally. This particular motif even opens the album in the track “Logos”.

Elfman also arranged the iconic “Funeral March For A Marionette” from “Alfred Hitchcock Presents” to conclude the album, which was a nice way to wrap up the score, imo. Especially for fans of Hitchcock.

The highlights on the album for me were, "Logos", “Theme from Hitchcock”, “The Premiere”, “Paramount/Out the Gate”, “Walk With Hitch”, “Celery”, “Telephone”, “Suspicion”, “Explosion”, “Selling Psycho”, “Fantasy Smashed”, “Finally”, “Home At Last”, “End Credit #1”, “End Credit #2”, and “Funeral March For A Marionette”.

Even though I enjoyed this score. I doubt it’ll be hailed as a classic years from now. The album is too short and most of the tracks are less than a minute to about a little over a minute long. So the score as a whole won’t stay in your memory long. Even though the main theme haunted me way after my first listen. Plus some of the cues feel like tension music and that might not sit well with teh average listener's enjoyment of the score. It might even take a few listens from some to appreciate the score as a whole. I’ve heard some believe that the themes/motifs aren’t developed enough. I disagree with that, but like I said I think it could take a few more listens for those to really comprehend.

So overall I thought this was a pretty good solid effort from Elfman.

I live in PA but there's a strong chance I may be flying to LA just for that concert. Elfman's first live US performance in 18 years? I'd be a fool to miss it.

To be honest I like his Spider-Man stuff more than his Batman stuff.

Posted on FSM forums about the Elfman/Burton concert in LA.

elfmanburton said:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]By popular demand, a second show has been added on Oct. 29 for DANNY ELFMAN'S MUSIC FROM THE FILMS OF TIM BURTON concert in L.A. at the Nokia Theatre.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]General Tickets for 1st show went on sale at 10am this morning and the show sold out in 12 minutes. [/FONT]

elfmanburton said:
Here is an LA Times article about the Halloween concert selling out in 12 minutes:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-danny-elfman-tim-burton-20130913,0,7583557.story
transparent.gif

Wow! Some more Elfman news. Looks like October is shaping up to be a big Elfman month. This was posted on La La Land Records' Facebook page an hour ago. I just quoted the Elfman part.

La La Land Records said:
... By sheer coincidence, the month of October not only celebrates an incredible 3 night concert event for the Film Music of Danny Elfman (1 performance in the UK and 2 in LA), but it also ushers in not one, but TWO new Elfman scores on our label. We could not be more proud.

Then, on OCT 8, the DEAD will have their DAY along with our first Elfman release for the month

OCT 22 will see the debut of GRIMM along with our other Elfman score...

Looking forward to both Elfman releases. Wonder what both titles are?

The only Elfman releases I definitely know are in the works are Good Will Hunting, Midnight Run and Black Beauty. Good Will Hunting is from Music Box Records so I'm guessing it's the other two.

I recall you mentioning a while back that LLLR was working on a Black Beauty expanded album. That'll be cool. I don't own Midnight Run or Black Beauty. Both been OOP for many years now. Just own the selections from both scores used in the MFADT albums. Great news about Good Will Hunting also, which never had a score release. Wonder how long till that one's released? By the end of the year or the beginning of next year? A lot of Elfman scores to look forward to including his score to the upcoming "The Unknown Known".

Good Will Hunting will probably take a while because there are a lot of right issues with the Elliot Smith songs which the label definitely want to include.

Hopefully The Unknown Known gets a release soon. Morris said at a festival that Elfman's score should be the first documentary score to earn an Oscar nomination.

In case anyone living in L.A., who were unable to get a ticket to the Elfman/Burton concert, this was posted on the FSM forums about the concert.
elfmanburton said:
Due to popular demand, a 3rd show has been added on Oct. 30 at the Nokia Theatre in L.A.

Hm. I like the fact that they're giving the fans more chances to see the show, but it makes the Halloween performance seem a little less special. Oh well. I've never seen one of Boingo's legendary Halloween shows in person, and this is as close as I'll ever get. So I'll take it.

Well LLLR just announced the Elfman title coming out next Tuesday on their facebook page. And fellow Elfman fan ddddeeee was correct. "Black Beauty" will be getting the Warner Brothers Expanded Archival treatment.

Only quoted info dealing with Elfman's score.
La La Land Records said:
Coming October 8, 2013 at 12 pm pst

BLACK BEAUTY EXPANDED LIMITED EDITION
MUSIC BY DANNY ELFMAN
LIMITED EDITION OF 3000 UNITS
LLLCD 1273
RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

REISSUE PRODUCED BY DAN GOLDWASSER
REISSUE MASTERED BY JAMES NELSON
LINER NOTES BY JEFF BOND
ART DIRECTOR: DAN GOLDWASSER

La-La Land Records, Warner Bros and WEA are proud to announce the expanded edition to one of Danny Elfman's greatest scores BLACK BEAUTY, written and directed by Caroline Thompson. Lush, gorgeous, melodic and inspirational -- this magnificent score gets the deluxe treatment "La-La Land style" with an expanded program clocking in at nearly 79 minutes, tracks remastered by James Nelson, and a 24 page booklet with in depth liner notes by Jeff Bond, including comments by composer Danny Elfman and writer/director Caroline Thompson. This is our favorite non-Burton score of Elfman's! He taps into the soul of the characters that made his scores to Edward Scissorhands and Dolores Claiborne so memorable. A must for any Elfman or film music fan alike!

Nearly 79 minutes!!! Looking forward to that since I don't own the original 1994 soundtrack album. But I'll purchase this with the other Elfman release (possibly Midnight Run) coming out later this month at LLLR. Can't wait.

watched BATMAN last night again, in preparation for Monday!

Black Beauty is one of Elfman's all time best, 'Memories' is a knockout cue. Can't wait to order this on Tuesday and, of course, to see the man himself perform the same day.

Also worth noting that Elfman's agency website confirms he's scoring Burton's Big Eyes and Dreamworks' Mr Peabody and Sherman.

Didn't see that coming with Elfman scoring Burton's upcoming "Big Eyes".:o It seems like a change of pace for Burton, which is a good thing. I have no doubt Elfman will come up with an itriguing score for it. I looked up the plot synopsis for "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" on IMDb. It seems like it's another animated time travel movie for Elfman. My brother told me it was an adaptation of a segment from "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show" from back in the day. Although I'm looking forward to what Elfman comes up with for the score. I can't say I'm at all excited about the movie itself. I wish Elfman was offered more interesting projects.

Btw, please don't be afraid to share your thoughts and experience (or even photos) about the Elfman/Burton concert up here whenever you get the chance. I hope this will be a rewarding and extraordinary experience for you. So enjoy yourself. And that goes for anybody else going to the concert as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"