BvS The Dark Knight Returns references/homages in the film

marvelboy10

Civilian
Reaction score
This thread is to talk about the references/homages for Frank Miller's the dark knight returns in the movie. There are a lot. :)

tdkr.jpg

You legend :up:

The one I proper geeked out about in the cinema

superman-scenes-in-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-trailer-is-this-incident-what-will-364287.jpg

Also when Superman lited the rocket, the angle wasn't quite this but it was very reminiscent

Superman_DKR_01.jpg

Of course there was the Batman shot in lightning

27.png

Last edited:
the whole opening scene of the Wayne murders was taken shot by shot from the book

Although it was a grenade in the film

Batman-V-Superman-Dark-Knight-Returns-Arrow-Kryptonite.jpg

Of course there is the armour Batman wears and the actual fight

Batman-V-Superman-Dark-Knight-Returns-Armor.jpg

The talking heads (although in the film they were about Supermam as opposed to Batman)

batmantdkr1-0421-132155.jpg

Can't seem to post the image, but the boot to the head/neck.

There's a couple more really good ones that I'm thinking of if the fight, but can't recall exactly, nore find the image.

The armoured batsuit and the standard batsuit.
Reflecting on Robin's death.
Saying they have always been criminals.

"I'm hoping that the next generation of the Wayne family shan't face an empty wine cellar."

Or something of the like, said by Alfred.

Alfred: ...not for lack of trying.

Also, Batman has that rifle that he shoots the truck to plant the tracker.

It felt a bit like

dark-knight-returns-grappling-gun.jpg

Last edited:
The whole "dying for no reason at all" speech during the Superman fight.

"We've always been criminals" :)

We talk about movies having flaws but so do books and The Dark Knight Returns is not without its fair share of flaws. But despite the obvious flaws of this book it's universally loved and right so. The references that they used in BvS is just so exciting to me especially as many of them feel right off the page.

The reporter asking President Reagan "what's your position on the Batman controversy?" a very similar question that Clark Kent asks Bruce Wayne "What's your position on the Bat-vigilante in Gotham?"

The obvious one, and a great twist, is the ending - [BLACKOUT] in the book it's Bruce who "dies" and in the movie it's Clark. Love the subtle heartbeat and dirt moving on the coffin.[/BLACKOUT]

The obvious one, and a great twist, is the ending - [BLACKOUT] in the book it's Bruce who "dies" and in the movie it's Clark. Love the subtle heartbeat and dirt moving on the coffin.[/BLACKOUT]

:up:

You know I need to [BLACKOUT]listen out on my third watch for the heartbeat, two times I've seen it I haven't listen out for it[/BLACKOUT]

We talk about movies having flaws but so do books and The Dark Knight Returns is not without its fair share of flaws. But despite the obvious flaws of this book it's universally loved and right so. The references that they used in BvS is just so exciting to me especially as many of them feel right off the page.

But I think that's a problem with the film, in that they took the lines but without much of the context in the original comic....most notably the actual length of history between the two characters. Lines like 'my parents taught me that....' from the book didn't carry the same weight in the movie because the context was different.

A few more I noticed

- When Superman is hit by the missiles Batman sets up he smiles after, same as Batman did in the film but I think it was sonic waves he hit Superman with in the film.
- The fight between Batman and Superman is on a timer. In the film it's Lex's egg timer in the book it's Bruce counting down to his "heart attack".
- In the Batman Superman fight in the book Clark tries to reason with Bruce but Bruce doesn't listen

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"