The Dark Knight Rises Zack Snyder wants to make a "The Dark Knight Returns" Movie!

Sarg92

Ouch!
Reaction score
Snyder eyes 'Dark Knight Returns' Movie
Friday, December 26 2008, 05:12 GMT

160x120_zack_snyder.jpg

Zack Snyder has revealed that he wants to adapt Frank Miller's comic book The Dark Knight Returns into a feature film.

Snyder, who helmed a film version of Miller's 300 and upcoming comic movie Watchmen, told iFMagazine that he has asked studio Warner Bros about creating a big screen adaptation of the story, which focuses on an ageing Bruce Wayne as he comes out of retirement to defend Gotham City for a final time.

"I said I'm interested in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns," he commented. "That's really my favourite comic book."

The director admitted that his chances of making the movie are slim as it is likely to conflict with Warner Bros's Christian Bale-led Batman series.

"The studio has this massive franchise and I don't think they'll let me make a Batman movie where he's 50 years old and Ronald Reagan is President," he said.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a139234/snyder-eyes-dark-knight-returns-movie.html

I believe WB explored this route after Batman was put in development hell following B&R.

I love this idea! Maybe we'll finally get to see Tim Curry as the Joker.

Now's not the right time, but a few years down the line....hell yes. :up:

Yep, after Batman 3.

I could definately get into Snyder doing it. They should start doing more adaptions of GN's.

Why in God's name would you skip the entire mythos and go straight to the future of it after a third Batman film?

Let Snyder be patient, mature as a director...and then make THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS in 20 years.

It'll be worth the wait.

Maybe Bale can come back and play the role again or something. :)

I agree with everyone in saying that I think he should wait until Batman 3.

Let's not forget this movie has to have Superman in it as well so perhaps waiting on this isn't a bad idea. I would much rather see the Superman start over and Batman 3 and possibly 4 before this.

To play devil's advocate it may be possible to make this movie in that seperate feel from Nolan's at the present time and it still be good. Though, if I had my choice, I would not risk putting two different versions of one universe together.

YES! Hurray! Miller might have his fiar share of weirdness when it comes to Batman, but I love TDKR. They should definetly wait till after BB3. But not too long, I want Eastwood as Batman dammit!

i disagree, even after Batman 3. Zach Snyder is an awful filmmaker.

He makes films seemingly only for trailers and title sequences.
He cares very little for character, to him they are simply there to showcase cool effects/bad-ass moments.
He glorifies violence like a thirteen year old playing a video game.
He is completely unoriginal. He takes the most glossy, sparkly, glittery elements from old films (Dawn) and graphic novels and builds a house around those sinks (film out of "cool" scenes). If we get a film from him, we will not be given anything new, just refurbished elements from the best Graphic Novels. You might think this is cool, but i don't. Nolan took risks, he became the storyteller Batman deserved, he elevated the character to new cinematic heights. Snyder would never, ever take risks.

Before you flame me, i've seen 40 minutes of Watchmen and it pretty much confirms Snyder's lot. Flashy, completely out of sync with the narrative structure of its source material, and bland character development.

If Snyder makes a Batman film, you'll be guaranteed it get "I'm the god-damn Batman" characterization.

He cares very little for character, to him they are simply there to showcase cool effects/bad-ass moments.
He is completely unoriginal. He takes the most glossy, sparkly, glittery elements from old films (Dawn) and graphic novels and build a house around a sink (film out of "cool" scenes). If we get a film from him, we will not be given anything new, just refurbished elements from the best Graphic Novels. You might think this is cool, but i don't. Nolan took risks, he became the storyteller Batman deserved, he elevated the character to new cinematic heights. Snyder would never, ever take risks.

Before you flame me, i've seen 40 minutes of Watchmen and it pretty much confirms Snyder's lot. Flashy, completely out of sync with the narrative structure of its source material, and bland character development.

If Snyder makes a Batman film, you'll be guaranteed it get "I'm the god-damn Batman" characterization.
So... in other words, he's the perfect guy to direct TDKR....

He'd be directing Millers Batman, which basically consists of cool, kick ass scenes and ''Im the god-damn Batman'' line.

So... in other words, he's the perfect guy to direct TDKR....

He'd be directing Millers Batman, which basically consists of cool, kick ass scenes and ''Im the god-damn Batman'' line.

Yeah, that's what I want. Isn't that the point of making a graphic novel a movie. I want it to look exactly like it. I want a story brought to life that I loved. He'd do that.

...But not too long, I want Eastwood as Batman dammit!
Even for DKR, Eastwood is too old. Clint still looks like a tough sonofa***** but it's going to be a stretch for anyone to imagine him pulling off most of the stuff Batman does at 80.

Snyder eyes 'Dark Knight Returns' Movie
Friday, December 26 2008, 05:12 GMT

160x120_zack_snyder.jpg

Zack Snyder has revealed that he wants to adapt Frank Miller's comic book The Dark Knight Returns into a feature film.

Snyder, who helmed a film version of Miller's 300 and upcoming comic movie Watchmen, told iFMagazine that he has asked studio Warner Bros about creating a big screen adaptation of the story, which focuses on an ageing Bruce Wayne as he comes out of retirement to defend Gotham City for a final time.

"I said I'm interested in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns," he commented. "That's really my favourite comic book."

The director admitted that his chances of making the movie are slim as it is likely to conflict with Warner Bros's Christian Bale-led Batman series.

"The studio has this massive franchise and I don't think they'll let me make a Batman movie where he's 50 years old and Ronald Reagan is President," he said.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a139234/snyder-eyes-dark-knight-returns-movie.html

I would be down for this....but not anytime soon.

An adaptation of the Dark Knight Returns I think will be made someday though IMO.

What I can see happening, is that after Nolan is done with his Bat films there will be a break for Batman films for at least 5-10 years most likely.

I can certainly see Nolan coming back or Snyder getting an older more mature Bale to do an adaptation of TDKR. Can you imagine a 40-45 year old in shape Bale coming back to do a interpretation of that great graphic novel?

Of course it would have to be updated and written for this time period instead of the Reagan years.

Doing an adaptation of that film eventually in the future is a no brainer IMO.

He is completely unoriginal. He takes the most glossy, sparkly, glittery elements from old films (Dawn) and graphic novels and builds a house around those sinks (film out of "cool" scenes). If we get a film from him, we will not be given anything new, just refurbished elements from the best Graphic Novels. You might think this is cool, but i don't. Nolan took risks, he became the storyteller Batman deserved, he elevated the character to new cinematic heights. Snyder would never, ever take risks.

Watchmen is the first film that actually deals with depth and character development. You can't complain that he turned an adaptation about 300 into...300. He wasn't working with Shakespear there.

And even if I assume you have seen 40 minutes of Watchmen (and for the sake of argument I will), you most likely saw 40 minutes of footage meant to SELL the movie - so it WAS a glorified trailer. You don't show character depth in a montage of action scenes meant to get asses in seats, you show it in the near two hours of footage that surrounds it.

Wait for Watchmen before writing Snyder as simply a flash in the pan guy.

Also if Snyder were to make a TDKR film, wouldn't he have to have the "Goddamn Batman" characterization?

Even for DKR, Eastwood is too old. Clint still looks like a tough sonofa***** but it's going to be a stretch for anyone to imagine him pulling off most of the stuff Batman does at 80.
I guess, but I he's just so damn badass :(. Im not sure who would make a good older Batman.

Bruce Willis could age into the role.

If I had to pick right now, I would look at Tom Selleck.

Willis would be good.Selleck would rock as well.

Would anyone be up for Keaton as Batman again?

Haven't seen Watchmen but I agree with this after seeing "300." It was a visual formula repeated once and again foir 2 hours.

If anybody has to be in charge of a bad-ass Batman movie filled with kickass moments, that'd be - as you say - Nolan.

Nolan doing TDKR? HA!

I dont think you guys realize. TDKR isnt the same kind of Batman as Nolans. TDKR is meant for alot of action pack scenes and corny ''im the goddamn Batman'' kind of lines. And obviously Snyder wouldnt put alot of character like Nolan, bevause he would be doing an exact adaptation of a graphic novel which doesnt have much characterization because they assume people reading/watching it wont need to be filled in on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"