The End-All, Be-All to Movie Tournaments

QueerMike

Sidekick
Reaction score
I, for one, want closure to movie tournaments and polls. This is the first step:

Declaring the Best Movie of the 21st Century
I have taken the most awarded, most grossing, and some fan favorites of the past 7 years and placed them head-to-head in Phase 1 of the tournament. There are 128 movies, 64 match-ups. I'm sure everyone will find their favorite somewhere in the tournament but....

IS YOUR PERSONAL FAVORITE THE BEST MOVIE OF THE 21st CENTURY?

There's only one way to find out.

Here we go...

The Lord of the Rings:
The Return of the King

Released: Dec. 17, 2003
Director: Peter Jackson
Starring: Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen
Total Gross: $1,119,263,306
Awards: 34

vs.

Bubba Ho-Tep

[SIZE=+0]Released: Sept. 19, 2003 [/SIZE]
Director: Don Coscarelli
Starring: Bruce Campbell
Total Gross: $1,239,183
Awards: 3

I have to go with The King...

The Return of the King....

The Lord of the Rings Return of the King

return of the king was the worst of the 'ring' movies... and that's saying a lot, because all of those movies sucked.

return of the king was the worst of the 'ring' movies... and that's saying a lot, because all of those movies sucked.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a pinnacle of the entertainment business. It is a must have for any collection.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a pinnacle of the entertainment business. It is a must have for any collection.

It's also a trilogy that caters to a very well-defined cult crowd, even among those who consider themselves geeks.

I am a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings, but I've long ago accepted that not everyone will enjoy them as much as they deserve to be.

It's also a trilogy that caters to a very well-defined cult crowd, even among those who consider themselves geeks.

I am a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings, but I've long ago accepted that not everyone will enjoy them as much as they deserve to be.

So I take it your vote is for LOTR:ROTK?

The only thing I didn't like about ROTK is the way too gay ending.

Gay as in homosexual? Because that can be explained with the old-fashionedness of the film and the relationship between the hobbits were those of very close friends portrayed in the way such friendships were in the middle ages (which may seem very homoerotic from a modern viewpoint).

-OR-

Gay as in bad? That's a matter of opinion, and I for one liked the endings.

Gay as in homosexual? Because that can be explained with the old-fashionedness of the film and the relationship between the hobbits were those of very close friends portrayed in the way such friendships were in the middle ages (which may seem very homoerotic from a modern viewpoint).

-OR-

Gay as in bad? That's a matter of opinion, and I for one liked the endings.

Not queer gay. Ha-ha gay.

No surprise, ROTK is up 4-1. Although I thought the fan boy God, Bruce Campbell, might pull out an upset.

Not with Bubba, try one of the Evil Deads and then you'll see magic.

Not with Bubba, try one of the Evil Deads and then you'll see magic.

Well, were doing 21st century movies right now but I'm sure the Evil Dead's will be in the 80's branch of the tourny.

I was too hyped for Bubba Ho-tep and it didn't deliver. Still liked it though. Gotta go with RotK.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King WINS 8-1

X-Men
Released: July 14, 2000
Director: Brian Singer
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Patrik Stewart, Ian McKellen, Halle Berry, Famke Janssen, Rebecca Romjin
Total Gross: $296,250,053
Awards: 0

vs.

The Departed
Released: Oct. 6, 2006
Director: Martin Scorsese
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg
Total Gross: $289,847,354
Awards: 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts