The First Omen

This was better than first projected. Very strong performance by Nell Tiger Free. The Sound design and Disturbing Imagery was fantastic. Thats exactly how you create a atmosphere on the big screen and something some directors can't nail for some reason. not really familiar with the Omen lore but by its own merits this is a great horror film overall. I feel it was brought down by a weak 3rd act as CloserFrame mentioned but knowing its a prequel is partly why it takes some of the sheen off in the last third.

There is a scene in this film that nearly made me gag and by the time everyone see's this then you will know what im talking about. Not really familiar with Arkasha Stevenson's work but its good to see she took some risks with this.

7.5/10

Last edited:
I really liked it, but throughout the whole 2 hours a couple were talking and purposefully laughing at anything scary (like middle school kids) yet they were late 30's.

I told them to **** off and other's did too and nothing worked.

Easily tainted my first watch... but I'll say it was a 4/5, for now. Pretty neck-and-neck with Immaculate. While I liked this plot more. And I think Nell out-acted Sydney.

Funny how some shots pushed the rating more than anything in Immaculate. Especially some Tyler Durden style quick inserts.

If Arkasha can pull this off within a big-studio... imagine what she could with A24 or Neon.

Last edited:
I really liked it, but throughout the whole 2 hours a couple were talking and purposefully laughing at anything scary (like middle school kids) yet they were late 30's.

Easily tainted my first watch... but I'll say it was a 4/5, for now. Pretty neck-and-neck with Immaculate. While I liked this plot more. And I think Nell out-acted Sydney.

Funny how some shots pushed the rating more than anything in Immaculate. Especially some Tyler Durden style quick inserts.

If Arkasha can pull this off within a big-studio... imagine what she could with A24 or Neon.
OT but its really disheartening when you see posters talk about there negative experiences in cinemas sometimes. The lack of respect by some people on this damn planet is pathetic, grown ass adults in the there late 30s and acting like teens...Really bruh. Sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully your second watch is void of bad behaviour.

Easily tainted my first watch... but I'll say it was a 4/5, for now. P

I'll say this as someone who just saw this in the theater untainted by morons, this was indeed at least a 4/5.

Who knew this was going to be miles better than the Exorcist sequel we got from Blumhouse? The filmmaking and acting are so f**kin good and unreal.

*typing my review rn*

I'd give it a B overall.

Certainly the best Omen sequel, which isn't a high bar to cross.

Still , I prefer Late Night With The Devil , another 1970s era encounter with Demons. :lol: .

I do find Nell Tiger Free utterly adorable:swoon: , and I'll be interested in seeing what she does next.

Love it whenever a horror filmmaker gets to run wild with a studio budget.

Some of those images
giphy.gif

Love it whenever a horror filmmaker gets to run wild with a studio budget.

Some of those images
giphy.gif
My top 4 were...

1/ The bloody gooey 'water break' shot

2/ The Jackel's creepy hand cupping or going low - lol (forgot which)

3/ Nell's laugh in-between her Possessor homage

4/ The shot just before the self-immolation [King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, ifkyk]

...the last giving killer Saint Maud homage.

My top 4 were...

1/ The bloody gooey 'water break' shot

2/ The Jackel's creepy hand cupping or going low - lol (forgot which)

3/ Nell's laugh in-between her Possessor homage

4/ The shot just before the self-immolation [King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, ifkyk]

...the last giving killer Saint Maud homage.

Oh man, the scene where she goes full-on Isabelle Adjani.
hairraising-goosepimples.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"