The 'First Time Watch' Review Thread

Mandon Knight

We did it......
Reaction score
Hi all,

Am creating this as a kind of new year, new beginnings 'thing'.

This is for films you are reviewing that you've watched ONLY for the first time, so NO repeat viewings reviewed here please.

So, it can be any film from any time period, just your reaction to a first time watch, did it meet personal expectation, perceived expectation, did your view differ from the general view ?

Have fun with it and share your experiences and your recommendations as a result.

Happy viewing all.

Okay, first film to kick this thread off for me...

Black Panther (2018)

I missed watching this at the cinema back at the start of last year amidst the hails for this landmark feature as part of the MCU (18th Release) of the set of films in it's entirety to date.

As is known, my lack of love for the MCU is present and in my view well earned but I absolutely get why the films are popular by the majority and again, I can see why this would prove popular amongst many.

Once again, amongst the MCU, for me, I'm afraid not.

It's a 5 or 6 out of 10 at best.

I just think I'm not built for the MCU, my tastes don't fit these format of films, I didn't get the feel or depth or tangible nature of any of it, I'm sorry to report.

I liked BP in Civil War and where the formation of the character was emerging from in that film and his overall part in the Civil War structure and having seen IW before this, maybe, I saw things in the wrong order but it didn't grab me in the way, it would fans of Marvel I expect did 'get it'.

I like Marvel characters, not that many, but a few, I just can't stand the MCU and this film didn't change all the reasons I don't like, at all.

So, onwards and upwards to Avengers : End Game and we'll see how that one fits.

So, onwards and upwards to Avengers : End Game and we'll see how that one fits.
You're better off skipping that movie. Not caring for MCU will probably make it a waste of time you'd rather avoid.

You're better off skipping that movie. Not caring for MCU will probably make it a waste of time you'd rather avoid.

I'd love to avoid it, but I'll get dragged to it by someone I expect, of course, I'll make that the reason for the 'snappening'.

Okay, on tonight's 'first time watch' menu are a choice of....

The Post
The Bookshop
Goodbye Christopher Robin

There of course maybe a 'double feature' of two of the three, not sure yet, depends on how early I start watching the first film.

Black Panther (2018)
It's a 5 or 6 out of 10 at best.

I give it about the same score. Now, I saw BP rather late - after being exposed to all the hype (box office juggernaut, rave reviews, Oscar buzz). And quite possibly this influenced my experience: decidedly underwhelmed. Not to say that the movie was bad by any means; but it did strike me as rather conventional - with a paint-by-numbers story and execution. Nothing particularly innovative.

Granted, I’ve only seen BP the one time. Perhaps a second viewing will reveal the brilliance that everyone else seems to recognize. :word:

Okay, tonight it was Deadpool 2 on Blu-ray, the extended cut, and as with the first, loved it. For a character historically I've despised in the comic version, I'm surprised of how much RR works for me as DP. Thought Domino stole the show, she was awesome and the action scenes/sequences were top notch and dammit if MB/RR aren't the best screen couple in a super-hero film, ever, you feel how connected they are and their loss feels earned, you feel their loss. Loved it with a capital L.

9/10

Last night it was 'You Were Never Really Here'.

Purely by the background story, I knew it would be a tough watch, but it went far deeper than I would have anticipated in the relationship building of all the characters, but particularly the depiction of Joe's childhood and adult care of his mother.

The central themes of his past being the propellent of the journey he takes to 'satisfy' his own needs just so happens to be those of the purpose placed before him.

For a relatively short running time, 89 minutes, it packs a huge amount in without much way of dialogue or 'show the audience', it leaves us to wrap around the detail and form the structure of the whole, which I liked and admired.

Strong conclusion & one that made perfect sense to both characters, Nina & Joe. A difficult watch but one I found absolutely invested in and would give it a 7/10.

Spider-Verse.

It’s really good! A tad too long in parts, and I was confused about certain things that happened or existed within the context of the central universe the film occupied, but I overall thought it was a really good movie that, for me at least, did a great job of expressing to its audience why Spider-Man is such a popular and enduring character.

8.5/10

Reactions: CJ
Upgrade

Had wanted to see this in the cinema but just wasn't showing at a convenient time so got the DVD on blind and so glad I did.

My review would simply be - Venom if directed by David Cronenberg, plus you get the best Dane DeHaan impression without actually being him along with the ever reliable LMG doing Tom Hardy.

Loved it. 8/10

Notes on a Scandal

Was on late night last night on BBC and stayed up and glad I did. Brilliant performances across the board but in particular Judi Dench. She was magnificent in this very dark, centrally focused role, quite different from what she usually gets to play. The tension was well built, even though, to a degree you knew how it was going to 'play out' as such. Been out a while I know, but just never got round to watching it and can tick it off now. Highly recommend it for those who haven't seen it yet either.

9/10

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Now, before I got into review 'mode', I feel I should say, I avoided this film upon release like the plague and haven't thought or wished to watch it since. Two things came over to me at the time of release that point blank annoyed the hell out of me (both points ironically tackled in the film funny enough). In addition I haven't read the source material then or since so effectively bar the trailers I knew/know very little.

Visually I enjoyed it for all the usual edit charm and brilliance you got from a Wright film, except the nagging issues I had 9 years ago upon release, still stood/stand, namely none of the characters at all are likeable in any way. Most importantly to it all, Scott himself. Whiney, self obsessed *****ebag with no character traits anyone would like, never mind a string of ex's and especially two competing current possible girlfriends and no chance with Romana, I'm sorry this whole thing lives in cloud cuckoo land (I get that is part of the whole story, he learns), but he's still a p**ck whichever you look at it.

There's literally no one in this film with any moral compass of any decency, everyone is in it for themselves, be it, a band competition, a boyfriend desire, a girlfriend obsession, the evil ex's, f*cking everyone is an a-hole.

So I'm glad I didn't see it upon release and I'm glad I can say I put myself out of misery of curiosity all these years later for a second hand purchase on Blu-ray and I'm even happier that my instincts where correct all along.

F*cking hated it.

Put it down to being too 'old' for it, my 20's were a long time ago and I didn't behave like that then, least of all, now.

3/10 (at that's being generous).

Last edited:
Split

Appreciate many will have seen this before me, just never got round to watching (not through lack of interest believe me) but watched it last night and a very mixed-watch feeling. Having heard the core breakdown of the story, man has 23 separate voices/personalities in one body, kidnaps young girls....go ! I sat and actually enjoyed the mystery unfold of McAvoy's therapist and her own discovery far more than what was going on as we see McAvoy unravel and release the one 'true' personality. Not having seen Glass yet, I wanted to get a handle on this before I did and I must say the 'link' provided towards the end, I can't help feel was simply 'bolted on' at the last minute, that's how it feels to me, obviously M Night had all this in mind, as he's commented on it during interviews that he had a triangular story in his mind to relay but the execution of the reveal at the end is, for me, badly executed.

I enjoyed it and plaudits need to go to Taylor-Joy and McAvoy and I am glad I saw it but it doesn't feel like a link to Unbreakable nor from the trailers I've seen for Glass thus far, Glass clearly could prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

7/10

Marjorie Prime

A recent purchase via a 'blind buy' on DVD, based on a play, and you can tell in the way the film is written, formatted and executed, it's very 'wordy', dialogue heavy, (in fairness, it has to be) given the subject material. Difficult to write about without giving much away but the central theme of acceptance of loss and bereavement run through the story and how the 'modern world' interacts with the personal view of acceptance when someone has gone and what they leave us with and how those that are left to remain with that pain and loss played out through a 'Black Mirror'-esque story.

What blew me away beyond the story & structure were the performances, rarely does a film have 'everyone' on top form, this did, in particular (for me) was Tim Robbins, its only when a film relies so much on dialogue, expression and pain do you often get to see how good an actor really is, and here and amongst all (Geena Davis, who I've always thought exceptionally gifted performer) give outstanding performances, everyone is on top form, and Jon Hamm gives a nuanced take, beyond his usual alpha-male schtick.

I cannot recommend it enough, the ending confused me as I watched it and I had to think it through when I'd turned the television off and the ending I suspect will pull the rug from beneath you (appreciate some will have seen it coming all along) but I'm glad I took the gamble based on hearing how good the play was.

9/10

DCAU - Justice League Dark

Held back on this whilst I caught up with a few more of my DCAU collection and went into it with the question 'Why is Batman even needed in this ?', whilst the film failed to answer that question truly (he and the JL are not required at all, Batman's there to effectively 'cast aspersions' (joke intended, ha ha !) over what unfolds in front of him, John Constantine is the real 'leader' here and the film gives good back story to the team (on who some may not have an expansive knowledge of) and it holds together well, with a 'twist' that you can see a mile off, and it's only then, you go 'oh that's why Batman's here'. Solid story, great animation, good action and some decent 'knowing' jokes. Not the best in the DCAU universe but nowhere near the worst.

6/10

THE NOTEBOOK

Finally
got round to watching The Notebook last night with my partner, (I know it’s been out a while) and been meaning to watch it for years having heard so much said & written about it, amongst the romantic drama genre.

Well, all I’d heard & read was true, a film that puts you through the mill to get to the ‘reward’ at the end. I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed or felt ‘real love’ demonstrated quite as well on screen, the non-Hollywood type I mean, the nuts & bolts, every day, till I die ‘real’ love, that gets you through the hard times and the good-type.

Performances were (across the board), fantastic, particularly the leads and Gosling in particular and the elder actors I felt.

I felt every sinew and tear, every laugh and word-play. Absolutely loved it. Safe to say I was in bits by the end.

9/10

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Now, before I got into review 'mode', I feel I should say, I avoided this film upon release like the plague and haven't thought or wished to watch it since. Two things came over to me at the time of release that point blank annoyed the hell out of me (both points ironically tackled in the film funny enough). In addition I haven't read the source material then or since so effectively bar the trailers I knew/know very little.

Visually I enjoyed it for all the usual edit charm and brilliance you got from a Wright film, except the nagging issues I had 9 years ago upon release, still stood/stand, namely none of the characters at all are likeable in any way. Most importantly to it all, Scott himself. Whiney, self obsessed *****ebag with no character traits anyone would like, never mind a string of ex's and especially two competing current possible girlfriends and no chance with Romana, I'm sorry this whole thing lives in cloud cuckoo land (I get that is part of the whole story, he learns), but he's still a p**ck whichever you look at it.

There's literally no one in this film with any moral compass of any decency, everyone is in it for themselves, be it, a band competition, a boyfriend desire, a girlfriend obsession, the evil ex's, f*cking everyone is an a-hole.

So I'm glad I didn't see it upon release and I'm glad I can say I put myself out of misery of curiosity all these years later for a second hand purchase on Blu-ray and I'm even happier that my instincts where correct all along.

F*cking hated it.

Put it down to being too 'old' for it, my 20's were a long time ago and I didn't behave like that then, least of all, now.

3/10 (at that's being generous).
Most overrated movie by fanboys ever imo.
I didn't like it either

Thunderbirds (2004)

Film version of the puppet based 60’s tv series. Kitsch, Spy-Kids version of International Rescue which is a softer take on the recent re-booted ITV series (which is actually really good). Acted and presented by its very notion of fun and escapist, keeps to its roots and Ben Kingsley has a ball at portraying The Hood. Wee bit predictable but it’s definitely a children’s film for a concept designed in an age when space travel, exploration etc. was in its infancy and everyone is having fun with it all. Enjoyable nostalgic nonsense. 6/10

IT – Chapter 2

Having read the book, (massive SK fan) and the 90’s tele-movie, and indeed Part 1 of these two films, was very much looking forward to seeing how this was put together and executed in it’s balance, given how well Part 1 was conceived and had heard varied reviews and points on the quality of the second part.

On the whole, was excellent, a very good follow-up to the first, telling the more ‘difficult’ story (in my view, how do you get the story balance off as they do in the book, which of the fantasy elements do you keep, how do you solve a problem like a spider etc.) and it was well done, they lost some elements found in the book, made more of those which had less time in the book, as I say, a balance.

Adult role acting on the whole was very good, as is well known here in the forums, I would have gone for Adams rather than Chastein for Bev and I stick by my guns on that one, but thought McAvoy was a stand-out.

The build up on each child/adult story was gripping but the over-reliance upon CGI to bring the ‘scare-value' out takes the points away from being a 9 or 10 film, each time, it resorted to being a fright-fest of over egging the pudding, just as a more nuanced scare would do, something King excels in, in his writing.

Overall, I enjoyed it, (bar the opening scene, which didn’t need the ‘exposure’ of the violence to make its point, it could have made its point without the brutality, which I get why it was there, just wasn’t required).

a 7/10 for me.

Last Christmas

Had been talked out of going to see this by my partner during the festive season (she’s a fan of George Michael, I thought it would be nice to see it between us), SO very glad she managed to do so. She was saying it ‘looks average at best’. How right she was.

Any romance or comedy or indeed, any rom-com, requires, principally, a leading character who you root for, who, by the end of the film, you want too see they have overcome whatever obstacles are placed in their way by the story, overcome, beat them, enjoy the benefits of the outcome, love, happiness, what ever it may be. Here is LC’s first problem, Kate (Emilia Clarke) is just the worst possible central character to have you lead your story, (yes, I get she must ‘go on a journey’ of self -discovery, but when you are sitting there saying to yourself, ‘she deserves all she gets’, that’s not a good start).

Impossibly selfish, incredulously unpleasant and just frankly horrible human being (reasons for this are explained, yet still feel why would a person displaying such mannerisms, be given a ‘second’ chance), the film has little heart (ironically) to its core, poor humour, and no real connectivity (which given the twist, it kind of relies on it).

Performances are mixed, the writing’s not great and the reveal telegraphed from a mile away, as a Christmas film it’s not great, stick with It’s a Wonderful Life, as a film viewing in March with Christmas a mere few months back? Even worse….

5/10 (a generous score)

Me Before You

On the recommendation of my partner whilst in lock-down, (we don’t live together yet), watched this last night.

Off the bat, not read the pre-existing novel nor it’s sequels and had heard great things about the film, and its story (without knowing the ending, pre-watch), although the title hints strongly to the outcome.

I was truly overcome by this, I’m a sucker for this kind of film, I do love a rom-com or a rom-dram, in this case.

The chemistry between the leads is off the charts and the film gently sign-posts where its headed and where it wants you to feel but in Will & Lou’s journey you understand their beginnings and why the end has to be the way it is. I must admit I was expecting a different ending to it all and the ‘straight-forward’ end is the way gone but for that, loses none of its impact.

The supporting cast are exemplary, particularly, as ever, dependable Charles Dance as Will’s father, dignified and refined in the face of his son’s situation.

Emilia Clark is excellent in this, having recently seen her in ‘White Christmas’ where really she played an awful person then re-deemed, this shows her talent for comedy & drama in one complete role which she states is closest to her own self more than anything she’s played before, it’s a long way away from Game of Thrones, that’s for sure.

I absolutely loved this and Sam Clafin was equally brilliant in a ‘real’ acting role, where he’s asked to restrict his body movement and speech, at some point, if he and Henry Cavill are not on-screen brothers, a casting director is missing a trick.

I simply cannot recommend this enough.

9/10

Fantastic Voyage (1966)

A pre-cursor for my generations’ watch of ‘Inner Space’ (actually quoted in this no less, hence where I/S got its title from).

Okay, from off the bat, I found this cold and felt distant too it. Greatly appreciate it’s sci-fi of an era where the ‘spectacle’ of the un-explored was ‘brand-new’ to it’s audience at the time but the mechanics of the dialogue and to a degree, the story were very ‘boggy’ in their delivery, you felt you were watching a ‘how too’ manual, rather than an adventure film.

Undoubtedly, for it’s time, the SFX are first class, but the Blu-ray transfer, highlights them on what would have been first initial attempts at blue-screen projection.

The cast are ‘perfunctory’, they are all cast to type and that plays out, to its detriment, to a degree, when you see Pleasance on screen, you know there’s a strong chance, he’s the bad guy and so you have a 80% chance of seeing the twist right from the start.

I enjoyed it but didn’t engage with it, but it’s one of those films that if you are a sci-fi ‘buff’ you need to say you’ve seen.

6/10

The House of the Devil

A horror produced and directed and edited as old school late 70’s / 80’s fare but made quite recently. With tropes of devil worship and incantations, complete with obligatory ‘why did she do that?’ being screamed at the TV before all hell (literally) is let loose.

Purchased cheaply on a whim and having heard decent reviews, I quite liked it, reasonably short running time and some solid appearances from genre stalwarts.

Not a huge amount happens over the cause of it’s running time and it’s a slow build rather than a hack n slash film, decent SFX and narrative and decent performances from all.

Worth a try.

6/10

What Dreams May Come

Watched last weekend with my GF, Robin Williams bawl-fest which I'd missed seeing, knowing how upset it would make me. Absolutely amazing film, visually and the story got me hooked and yes, it emotionally killed me but glad I watched it. Excellent performances from virtually everyone, dealing with some of life's toughest choices, issues and outcomes.

Loved it.

8/10

Last edited:
The Invisible Man (2020)

Been long delaying watching this under the mis-apprehension, they'd just re-made Hollow Man, effectively.

Watched it last night and an absolute tour-de-force by Elizabeth Moss. Outstanding central performance in a film where she is in virtually every frame.

Good modern 'take' on the original themes and story, with added 'unhinged scientist' modern motif.

Very strongly directed and acted, would recommend this to anyone not yet seen it .

9/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"