The flight in the xfilms

Angamb

Avenger
Reaction score

I think most of us have always loved the powers of one or other x-men, and between them, the power of the flight. The flight is something that the human has dreamed in the whole history, and seeing it on screen is something really beautiful and the audience love it. So many films has used one or more characters which fly, with more or less skill. In the later years the technology has improved a lot, and prove of it are big poductions like Spiderman, Harry Potter, Superman... we can see those good flying sequences, epic scenes, in big cities, large places, etc.​

But when we goes to the x-men films, something fails. The x-men universe has various characters than can fly, in one or other form, and the most known are definetly Storm, Phoenix, Angel, and Rogue, mainly because the different adaptations of the comics, like the two animated series and the movies.​

But what do we think about the flight in these films?​

Are we satisfied?​

Has Fox done justice to the characters's powers?

Has been epic enough?

Too much wire work looking?

Could the flight effects have been done better, comparing with the others movies?

Whose/what is the problem?​

I think this issue needed its own thread, so post your thoughts about it.​

Examples from other big movies:

Spiderman:

Superman:

nice thorough post. I think that flight has been used reasonably but it was never outstanding. Only magneto could pull it off majestically. I felt jean flew/levitated for the sake of flying and to appease her fans before she bit the dust. As for storm it just seemed a fact- it was set up she could make others 'fly' in X1 so why not herself- nothing epic about it.

As for the other movies- spiderman doesn't fly in the traditional sense its more like an extreme sport for him. I think his biggest strength is keeping the comic poses.

Superman- well no one flies quite like superman (except supergirl of course) i feel if Rogue ever flew that should be her model.

in the X films, magneto's flight was the best, as it was commanding and gave him more presence. The flight of storm was quite suitable in X1 and 2, but in X3 we got some crazy spinning and stuff, eugh!

Phoenix was bad, the wirework was terrible, she looked uncomfortable and her feet were as if she was standing, nasty stuff!

in the X films, magneto's flight was the best, as it was commanding and gave him more presence. The flight of storm was quite suitable in X1 and 2, but in X3 we got some crazy spinning and stuff, eugh!

Phoenix was bad, the wirework was terrible, she looked uncomfortable and her feet were as if she was standing, nasty stuff!

storm didn't fly in x2 did she- only in the lift in X1 and in X3. The spinning seemed apt. Like a tornado.

Ya, Storm didn't fly in X2 - 'flying' the X-Jet doesn't count! lol :oldrazz:
Storm's so called flying was horrible in X3 as was Jean's lift into the air. The Danger room sequence with Storm looked sorta wired, but nothing compared to how awkward and fake Jean looked during her final attack.
I haven't seen Superman yet - don't kill me! - but the 3rd shot there looks pretty cool as does F4:2 previews.
Magneto's flights were better in the X-Films, though I wish there would've been more of all of them flying, I mean - if the movie The Covenant can do it - these kinds of films can definitely afford it! :woot:

Didnt' storm fly into weapon X when they opened it? Only briefly, but it was there I thought?

Anyhow, SR is impressive, however I do think that there arte a few speed issues, he can move faster than speeding bullets, yet later, when he's pushing himself, he isn't going as fast.

Obviously it's not as bad as the flash in JLA, but still it bugged me!

Magneto still owns!

I strongly disliked the flying demonstrated in the X-Men films. It was just far too obviously wire work. They pulled off flying better in the Supergirl movie for Pete's sake!

Phoenixs' flying was like that was her first time ever!...oh wait :p But seriously, it looked shakey and out of control, X on my list. I always enjoyed Ororo, and Angel was a plus as well.

The Phoenix flight was a little rigid, she looked like she had a broom-handle up her butt! Other than that, it was mostly fine.

broom-handle up her butt...hmmmmmm..that kind of makes me...ummmmmmm...never mind.:D

Danger room Storm looked very bad and so did Phoenix. I think Angel had the best flight.

Storms flight was appalling, and phoenix....well, what can I say really, it was so obvious they were on wires!

They've got it so right in the other superhero movies but X3 flight sucked.

I don't have any problems with the flight in the X-Men movies really. As said though there was no epic nature or use of flight. Flying was pretty basic in general and mainly used to go up or down/for short distances. While I don't think it was distractingly noticeable that the flying was wirework it would have been nice to see more dynamics with the flight, Storm's tornado attack in X3 and Angel's flight were heading in this direction. I actually quite like Dark Phoenix's flight too, her posture is rigid and menacing before she takes off (arms back, legs spread) and she simply holds that posture as she destroys the soldiers and I think her flight across Alcatraz is graceful and effortless. People say that it's obviously wirework but it's also obviously the characters actually flying, you can see and believe it as opposed to fake looking CG models in SR or Matrix so imo that's a good thing and fits with the grounded in reality feel of the X-Men movies. I'd hardly say the flight in Supergirl was better as well, come on!

If they are going to make another X-Men movie I think they need to vary how they make their characters fly though, they should go the Superman route and shoot against green screen and they could also go the (good) CG route like in the Fantastic Four movies - which I personally think has the best and most realistic flight in any Superhero movie.

yep! the human torch flying is spot on perfect specially in FF2.

Storm in X1 and in Danger Room in X3 sucks. Completly fake, terrible to watch, I hate how she puts her body to the front in X3, on that scene. Magneto on the train in X1 sucks, hard. Phoenix flying is cringe-worthy, she looked like she had...wires attached to her whole body.

Storm's spin on Jean's house was done perfectly imo. I really like how the flight seems real there. Especially when she starts to lift herself.
I absolutely LOVE Magneto flying on Cerebro in X2. It's royal. And I love him flying to the Statue of Liberty in X1. Also royal. I don't mind his little flight in X3 too.

Overall, I think the flight could be a lot better. Everyone just hovers, they don't even fly for real, except for Storm in X1 and X3.

I wanted to see some flight that was comparable to Neo in the Matrix...maybe some arial battle, like the Matrix.

arial battle? in which sequel? I only saw the first movie, and don't remember...

Storm in X1 was alright and Magnetos was really good for what it was, In X3 Storm was a mixed bag the Danger Room was not done well after that her flying was done pretty good except her take off in the end when she went to go help troops escape Phoenix, Angel was pretty good, Jeans could have been better and if they had added the Phoenix fire bird effect it wouldn't have been as noticable. The thing with these movies is the flight scenes were never extraordinary the makers never tried to go above and beyond they did as little as they could and tried to keep it as safe as they could which is a shame. They could have and should have had better more visually appealing flight sequences but since they didn't they should have had at least some better wire work people and a better choreographer and that goes for X1 and X3 because if their only going to do a little it should atleast look good as it can. I have yet to see the type of flying I expected to see in an X-Men movie.

See I disagree flavio, I actually really like Storm's flight in the DR (I think we discussed this before) She's leaning forward because she's in a hurry imo, she's flying pretty fast there too - it's kind of like how you lean forward skiing if you want to go faster, the same thing probably applied with Storm flying in this scene. I think that flight scene is another good example of more dynamic flight, instead of hovering, which as you say, is what most flying in the X-Men trilogy really was.

I agree with you xmenfilesfan, I would have liked to have seen flying like in the Matrix, minus the obviously fake looking CG models. The scene in Revolutions with Neo vs. Smith fighting in the Storm over the city could have easily been replicated with Storm and Phoenix imo. I would have loved to have seen some aerial fights or aerial displays of power eg. Magneto could have easily levitated in Alcatraz and thrown cars at the others, instead of standing there.

arial battle? in which sequel? I only saw the first movie, and don't remember...

It's in Matrix Revolutions...I found a video on youtube with it. The quality isn't so good, it doesn't do the scene justice, but here it is anyway. There is a shot at 6:40, that would have been so cool had Storm been given a shot like that.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qcp4Y5v2eGU&mode=related&search=

But the superstrength battle that they do would have been cool had Rogue absorbed some flying and fought someone.

Didnt' storm fly into weapon X when they opened it? Only briefly, but it was there I thought?

No, she did not. I don't know where you got this from. It's rather worrying when people invent scenes - it makes me distrust other things you have to say! Storm did not do ANY flying in X2, except piloting the X-jet.

OMG! I love how Eva Green flies in this trailer! It's near perfect! Oh, I can totally see Storm doing that!

I saw the trailer and thought the same exact thing. I am really wishing that the X-men franchise would get a new studio, director, and writers that can handle this property the way it should be handled and have faith in the property to take chances with it financially and creatively because although in my opinion the X-men movies were good none of them felt to me that they were as great as they could have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"