The Gate remake

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
Cook Helming "The Gate" Remake
By Garth Franklin
Thursday December 6th 2007 1:21am
JoBlo reports that a 3D remake of the suburban horror thriller "The Gate" is in the works.

Randall William Cook, the original helmer who turned FX supervisor on the likes of "King Kong" & "Lord of the Rings", will direct the update.

The 1987 original starred a young Stephen Dorff who discovers a portal to hell has manifested in his backyard. The rift soon unleashes all manner of chaos in the form of stop-motion demon minions.

No mention yet on a writer or studio.

i heard rumblings about this.

i loved The Gate. cant wait to see how this goes.

Confirmed: Winter Tackling The Gate Remake in 3-D
Source:ShockTillYouDrop.com May 17, 2009

Update: At a midnight screening of Freaked at the New Beverly in Los Angeles, Winter confirmed he is currently attached to The Gate 3D redo and is now in pre-production!

There's a new director on board the remake of The Gate and it's a perfect fit. According to Production Weekly, Alex Winter (Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, and, Bogus Journey) is tackling the redo of the hellish 1987 creature feature. Furthermore, he's doing it in 3-D.

Winter's been juggling an acting, writing and directing career for years since his "Bill" days. In '93 he helmed the FX-heavy comedy Freaked (a fave of mine) and Fever in '99. Recently he's been directing episodes of Ben 10 for the Cartoon Network. Winter's sensibilities seem ideal for The Gate's tale of three kids who open a portal to hell in their backyard.

Stephen Dorff starred in the original film directed by Tibor Takács.

Randall Cook was once attached to the redo, but as he told us in September, he was not pleased with the script and backed off the project.

"The Gate" Remake Gets Underway
By Garth Franklin Tuesday July 7th 2009 06:36AM
H20 Motion Pictures is proceeding with a low-budget 3D remake of 1987 horror cult classic "The Gate" after financing finally got locked into place reports Bloody Disgusting.

The original, which starred Stephen Dorff, followed three young children who accidentally release a horde of nasty, pint-sized demons from a hole in a suburban backyard.

"Bill and Ted" actor turned director Alex Winter will helm the project which will shoot at MMC Studios in Cologne later this Summer. MMC & H20 previously collaborated on Stephen Frears' "Cheri" currently in theaters.

Pixomondo ("2012," "Ninja Assassin") will handle the film's effects.

Now this is a remake I don't mind. I group up watching this film along with Ghoulies and Critters and as much as I liked it when I was a kid it hasn't aged well to say the least.

See, this is a movie that, while I have a definitely soft spot for, I'd love to see it remade. The original always played out like an extended ep of an old school horror anthology series (like Tales from the Darkside or Monsters). If they get a decent budget, the remake could be pretty cool. And Alex Winter directing! Nice to see his name pop up again.

I loved this movie when I was kid. But now its like...I see it on cable and im like "oh wow, The Gate. I haven't seen this in forever!l" and I turn it on but I usually end up losing interest and turning it off.

So I don't mind if it gets remade but I also don't think there was a demand for it.

Nice to see Alex Winter doing more in the Genre. Freaked was a funny ass movie!

I used to watch the Gate a lot when I was little. Was always a fraky and fun little movie to watch. Hope the remake can tap into what made the gate good.

I've never seen it or heard of it. Is it usually at most Blockbusters stores or is it something you kind of have to look around for...(well hell my Blockbuster doesn't have Bram Stoker's Dracula or a few David Lynch or Stanley Kubrick movies so...)

Sounds like a movie that could mix some great horror with comedy...I wonder if it will be lightened up for PG-13?

I've never seen it or heard of it. Is it usually at most Blockbusters stores or is it something you kind of have to look around for...(well hell my Blockbuster doesn't have Bram Stoker's Dracula or a few David Lynch or Stanley Kubrick movies so...)

Sounds like a movie that could mix some great horror with comedy...I wonder if it will be lightened up for PG-13?

The remake could go the route of horror/comedy but I think the material would be better if handled in a more serious manner.

The remake could go the route of horror/comedy but I think the material would be better if handled in a more serious manner.

Cool, it just sounds like if Edgar Wright did it I would like the comedy/horror route. This sounds alot like Gremlins in its tone. I'm very interested in seeing this because that mix of genre is practically dead.

I've never seen it or heard of it.

Sounds like you need to see it before you comment any more about it. It's Canadian made and from the 80's, so good luck finding it on DVD.

It was notorious for it's satanic imagery and pre-Black Metal heavy metal storyline.

And the little Imp creatures used to look pretty freaky back in the day, especially the part when one of their arms gets caught in the door, falls off, and becomes a bunch of maggot-worm things that scurry under the door.

Sounds like you need to see it before you comment any more about it. It's Canadian made and from the 80's, so good luck finding it on DVD.

It was notorious for it's satanic imagery and pre-Black Metal heavy metal storyline.

And the little Imp creatures used to look pretty freaky back in the day, especially the part when one of their arms gets caught in the door, falls off, and becomes a bunch of maggot-worm things that scurry under the door.

Yeah, I think it had a small release on DVD but I wouldn't be surprised if it's already out of print. I used to have a copy of this on VHS back in High School. There was this old video rental store that was in my home town for as long as I can remember that was going out of business because Blockbuster and Hollywood Video opened. The owner was selling all VHS tapes for incredibly cheap prices. I went straight to their horror section and snagged The Gate, Ghoulies, Critters and numerous volumes/episodes of Tales From the Darkside. That was a few years before I got into DVD's, so before DVD mixed with the type of videos I got...that was the motherlode. :)

I think it's on cable once in a blue moon, but good luck finding it on DVD. I looked for it a couple years ago, then DVR'd it when I seen it on Cinemax or Showtime one night, and that was in my DVR till the cable box fried.

Last edited:
has anyone seen the gate 2? I only saw it once when I was little and I don't remember much about it.

has anyone seen the gate 2? I only saw it once when I was little and I don't remember much about it.

Yeah but it's been a long time.

I remember it was pretty lame. Only thing I can really remember is some guy/s get a wish or something and wants money but after awhile all that he wished for turns to literal ****. He goes to throw down some of the money as a tip at some restaurant and poo splatters on the table.

I hope this turns out good. I loved this movie when I was a kid.

Now this is a remake I don't mind. I group up watching this film along with Ghoulies and Critters and as much as I liked it when I was a kid it hasn't aged well to say the least.

I just watched Ghoulies 2 last night. :oldrazz:

I seen it a couple times on cable, it was more like a Wishmaster movie from what I remember, because the Djinn demons granted wishes of the Headbanger kid or something along those lines.

Sounds like you need to see it before you comment any more about it.
Okay? *annoyed* Some of my friends have told me about it and said it's cool. I'm looking around for it.

Have you tried Torrents or one of those flash sites?

I found it in a cheap bin at Walmart I think it was not too long ago.
Though this was in Canada.

I really like this movie but am interested in the remake. It's one of those movies that actually could benefit from a remake. Winter being attached just adds more to my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"