The Gifted The Gifted 1x04 - "eXit strategy" Discussion Thread

Ozbridge

Sidekick
Reaction score
THE MUTANTS DEVISE A PLAN TO TAKE DOWN SENTINEL SERVICES ON AN ALL-NEW "THE GIFTED" MONDAY, OCTOBER 23, ON FOX

When the mutants devise a plan to take down Sentinel Services, Eclipse seeks out an old friend from his dark past in order to obtain some useful information. Meanwhile, Lauren and Andy attempt to combine their powers in order to help the group in the all-new "eXit strategy" episode of THE GIFTED airing Monday, Oct. 23 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GIF-104) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Stephen Moyer as Reed Strucker; Amy Acker as Caitlin Strucker; Sean Teale as Eclipse/Marcos Diaz; Jamie Chung as Blink/Clarice Fong aka Clarice Ferguson; Coby Bell as Jace Turner; Emma Dumont as Polaris/Lorna Dane; Blair Redford as Thunderbird/John Proudstar; Natalie Alyn Lind as Lauren Strucker; Percy Hynes White as Andy Strucker.

Guest Cast: Elena Satine as Dreamer; Zach Roerig as Pulse; Michelle Veintimilla as Carmen; Joe Nemmers as Agent Weeks; Hayley Lovitt as Sage; Jermaine Rivers as Shatter; Tony Vo as Young Mutant; Derek James Jones as Trader; Josue Gutierrez as Francisco; Aaron Nelson as SS Winkler; Matt Doman as SS Mcauley; Tom McIlwain as SS Guard #2; Jesse O'Neill as SS Guard #3; Gino Vento as Juan; Jason Ripoll as Gangbanger; Stephen Jones as Driver

THE MUTANTS DEVISE A PLAN TO TAKE DOWN SENTINEL SERVICES ON AN ALL-NEW "THE GIFTED" MONDAY, OCTOBER 23, ON FOX

When the mutants devise a plan to take down Sentinel Services, Eclipse seeks out an old friend from his dark past in order to obtain some useful information. Meanwhile, Lauren and Andy attempt to combine their powers in order to help the group in the all-new "eXit strategy" episode of THE GIFTED airing Monday, Oct. 23 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GIF-104) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Stephen Moyer as Reed Strucker; Amy Acker as Caitlin Strucker; Sean Teale as Eclipse/Marcos Diaz; Jamie Chung as Blink/Clarice Fong aka Clarice Ferguson; Coby Bell as Jace Turner; Emma Dumont as Polaris/Lorna Dane; Blair Redford as Thunderbird/John Proudstar; Natalie Alyn Lind as Lauren Strucker; Percy Hynes White as Andy Strucker.

Guest Cast: Elena Satine as Dreamer; Zach Roerig as Pulse; Michelle Veintimilla as Carmen; Joe Nemmers as Agent Weeks; Hayley Lovitt as Sage; Jermaine Rivers as Shatter; Tony Vo as Young Mutant; Derek James Jones as Trader; Josue Gutierrez as Francisco; Aaron Nelson as SS Winkler; Matt Doman as SS Mcauley; Tom McIlwain as SS Guard #2; Jesse O'Neill as SS Guard #3; Gino Vento as Juan; Jason Ripoll as Gangbanger; Stephen Jones as Driver

The siblings combining powers who does that remind you of:cwink:

Really excited about this one. Seems like it'll be a turning point for the season. ;)

Michelle Veintimilla, huh? That's the first Firefly on Gotham. So that's three folks, as of now, from that show that have made the jump to The Gifted between her, Jamie Chung, and Natalie Alyn Lind. And that makes me wonder if this could be the scheduling conflict that meant Gotham had to recast Firefly.

Oh, this is going to be a nasty call back to X2...

And love the Hound tattoo.

Pulse here reminds me of that kid from X-3 who could neutralize any mutant's powers, like he did with Kitty.

Good episode. Made even better with the flickering on and off powers because of Pulse, making it more personal for Marcos and especially John due to their past association. Wish Polaris got more to do towards the end, but hey, the episode was winding down, so she couldn't have a total Magneto moment. But I shudder at the thought of what it feels like to have a screw forcibly pulled out of your knee.

Really glad we don't have to deal with the "rescue Reed and Polaris from prison" for the rest of the season.

Reed's and Polaris's meeting was perfect. No forgiveness, and not much likely to be found in the underground. Really curious to see what else Jace does, as he seems to be using. And glad to hear more about the incident next episode.

I thought this was a really solid episode! The last 10 minutes was intense!

Entertaining episode, but someone needs to polish up some of the dialogue. The X-Men are soap-y, yeah. But the cringe-y dialogue needs some work.

Otherwise, a great episode. Things are moving at an incredibly brisk pace, and it's very interesting that Nix just has a lot more up his sleeve if he can wrap up this plot rather quickly. Jace is gonna be pushed to bring in The Hounds.

I really, really liked this episode. Now I'm 100% sure I want this series to stay around for a long time. A lot of great stuff here.

- Reed's apology
- Pulse's power used to build tension
- Polaris and Eclipse on the offense, with Polaris' powers used in reference to Magneto in X1, X2 and First Class
- More backstory for John and Marcos
- Sage gets some screentime
- Strucker's combining their powers
- Hound tattoo
- Caitlin stayed relevant throughout the episode
- Thunderbird and Blink was handled better than expected as well

Last edited:
Pulse went full Morph from X-Men the Animated series.

I wonder how much, if at all, Carmen may still call up Marcos to use his powers for interrogation again. I wager him doing that will become known to the others eventually.

Great episode!
Polaris was way too nice to only disarm those guys. Thought she would have shed some blood but I guess tat-for-tat is not the message of the show.

So I guess I was the only one bored. :( I think between reading tons of comics and Heroes I just don't get wowed by this. I feel like I've seen it already. Glad you guys are all liking it, though.

I think between reading tons of comics and Heroes I just don't get wowed by this. I feel like I've seen it already.
I don't think this is the kinda show I watch for big surprises and plot twist, because yes, it is fairly straightforward so far. The reason I love it is because it exists in this larger space where I'm like, oh that reminds me of this thing in the movies, or when they did this in that particular issue. I think the show is very much made with that in mind. I keep referring to it as a love letter of the franchise as a whole because I do think that's what it is.

I think some of it also may be that none of my favorites are in it, and I like quite a few of lower tier people. This show needs more Gambit. :p

I wonder how much, if at all, Carmen may still call up Marcos to use his powers for interrogation again. I wager him doing that will become known to the others eventually.

There's a neat angle that the comics haven't dealt as much with.

One group is smuggling people (mutants and their families) across the border to Mexico. The other group is smuggling people, weapons and 'product' (drugs) across the border *from* Mexico. It makes sense that they would meet up at times, and, despite their very different agendas, even end up either in conflict (one side ratting out the other to distract the law-enforcement agents in their own way) or temporary alliance (we're being shot at by the same guys anyway, might as well work together to stay alive!).

And what happens when the 'temporary' alliance becomes not-so-temporary? A cartel smuggling group with it's own mutant beneficiary could greatly increase their potential, particularly if they can sometimes call upon a teleporter, or a woman who can mess with memories.

"But if you have magic-smoke-chica just mess with their minds, so that they don't remember seeing my face, or where the tunnel is, I *don't have to kill them.* Do you want their deaths on your conscience Marcos? Pick up the phone and call this 'Dreamer' of yours..."

"Think of all those kids risking their lives smuggling this stuff across the border in bottles and baggies in their stomachs, when this 'Blink' can just open a portal from Mexico side to a hilltop visible on Texas side and we can toss a duffel-bag full of coke through it. Nobody gets hurt this way, it's better for everyone..."

I think some of it also may be that none of my favorites are in it, and I like quite a few of lower tier people. This show needs more Gambit. :p
Well, maybe any of the other characters they'll introduce might change your mind. Still won't be top tier like Gambit though.

"But if you have magic-smoke-chica just mess with their minds, so that they don't remember seeing my face, or where the tunnel is, I *don't have to kill them.* Do you want their deaths on your conscience Marcos? Pick up the phone and call this 'Dreamer' of yours..."
I'm sold. That's actually a really cool angle.

Just caught it on HULU, fun episode. :up:

I love how the writers keep up bringing up John's time in the Marines. Blair said they're gonna get a few military flashbacks, which will be great since it'll be more than Thunderbird ever really got in the books. Hope we get some more insight into his time on the Reservation too.

Also, that shot of Marcos using his powers from the front after Pulse is incapacitated by John is absolute money. I just wish they shot Lorna's scenes more dynamically as they did Marcos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"