The Golden Ticket-Looking Back On Our Favorite Movies

You guys reminded me Gremlins2: the new Batch, they are just silly as all hell in that one

Bump, with the help of Hunter.

So we can talk more about older movies.:hrt:

So how many of you remember "We're Back", the animated movie about Dinosaurs?

I remember hearing about it. But I don't think I ever watched it.

Does anyone recall a movie called "Fortress"?

NOT the Christopher Lambert movie. Actually this is about a school getting overrun by kidnappers. They all wear masks. The leader wears a Santa mask. At one point in the movie, they make it to a cave and have to swim under water.

It's been years and years since I've seen it. I was curious if anyone else remembered it. I wouldn't mind watching it online, if I thought it may be there.:hrt:

Hey BizarroAids, I'm in KCMO too! Represent!

VHS tapes I wore out in my youth (the '80's):

The Lost Boys
Ghostbusters
Gremlins
Star Wars trilogy
Indiana Jones trilogy
The Princess Bride
Creepshow 2
Back To The Future

I gotta say, Disney's gold era in the early 90's is probably the fondest memories of cinema I have. Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty, Lion King, Pocahontas, they're all still works of art for me to this day. That said so many films I grew up with, TMNT for starters, it's quite possible I've seen that film more times than anything else I've ever watched. Gremlins, who could forget that? Back to the Future series, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure to my prepubescent eyes was the most awesome film ever, Nightmare on Elm Street - terrifying when you're 8, hilarious when you're 16, Ghostbusters of course, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Dark Crystal, Never Ending Story, Princess Bride, the list goes on. Aaah, to be young again.

Some Jim Carrey classics are my favorite movies. Both Ace's, Dumb and Dumber (my favorite film on all time btw), The Mask, The Cable Guy, Liar Liar, and Truman Show. I hardly hear many people talking about these nowadays :( Its a shame

Favorite movie as a kid...The NeverEnding Story. Imagine being able to walk into an out of the way bookstore no one knows about and escaping with a book that can take you anywhere, anywhere at all you want to go? That's pretty much what reading (and film-going) is. And on top of that, you get to be a hero to a beautiful empress and fly around with a Luck Dragon. What kid wouldn't want to do that?

the matrix is a favorite of mine (forget the sequels)

the moment when you find out what the matrix actually 'IS', that ****ing blow my mind.

Jurassic Park just brings out the kid in me. I don't think I'll ever stop loving that movie. Every time I watch it i just brings me back to the early 90's.

Jaws, Terminator 2, Raider's of the Lost Ark, are all some of my all time favorite movies.

I remember being about 3 or 4 and watching A new hope and asking my older brother where the snow planet was at, as even as wee little lad I was in love with the Hoth battle scenes. It was only then when my brother informed me that I then knew that there was more than one starwars movie. My parents never rent anything they've already seen so the only time I had ever seen any of the original trilogy was the off chance that they were on tv, often times never all the way through beginning to end. That realization that there was more than one movie was kind of mindblowing and awesome.

Jurassic Park is probably my earliest memory of watching a movie in a theater, I would of been.. two. I was yelling around the whole time, not crying wise just general yelling and got my family kicked out. We ended up seeing it a week later at the drive in. Like so many others my age, I've spent the rest of my life completely obsessed with dinosaurs basically permanently and seriously considered becoming a paleontologist up until my sophmore year of high school when I decided I didn't want to go to college to make basically McDonalds wages.

When I was 10 my father decided I was old enough to watch The Road Warrior. I've never been the same. That movie has so much of the awesome (crazy car chases, general dystopianess) and the rediculous (Gay Biker Raiders) crammed into it.

Hellboy may not be the greatest comic book movie but that doesnt stop it from being my favorite. I saw it on opening night for the 04 season for my local drive in. Its mix of WWII and Lovecraftian imagry, just clicked with my 12 year old mind the first time I saw it. Also the whole government secret/MIB aspect of it, I absolutly dig. Theres also a lot of good humor and some kick ass practicle effects. Also thematically I like it a lot. This movie was also my first introduction to Hellboy in general, the comics of which, along with its various spinoffs are now amongst my favorite comics. It was also the first of Guillermo del Toro's work that I saw. Which over the past 6 years I've come to admire not just because of his (mostly aweome) work but also because of how much pride he takes in everything he does.

I first saw this when I rented it for my Birthday in 1998 and it's been a favourite ever since.

I love the concept of a murder set in the White House and it's a decent whodunit thriller with it's suspects all located in the corridors of power as opposed to shady underworld.

There's a bit of action for Snipes to show his skills off but it's a murder mystery first and foremost with a quality supporting cast including Diane Lane as a Secret Service Agent and Daniel Benzalli as a the Chief of the Secret Service, as well as Dennis Miller playing virtually himself as Snipes detective partner.

I don't think the film was a huge hit and it wasn't well received critically, plus the director has the resume of a hack, but I still love it. :D

big trouble in little china, the last dragon. my parents made a bootleg vhs of them from the video store when they first came out on video.
i've seen those movies so many times

Forrest Gump is one of my all time favorites, and Jurassic Park is great (I remember being 5 and my dad sleeping in the theater during it) As for newer films I would have to go with O Brother Where Art Thou?

I had to bump Bizzy's great thread as I haven't seen Loaded Weapon in maybe a decade, and I'd forgotten how funny it was, but I watched it last night and there are some brilliantly silly gags in it. Not quite up to Naked Gun but still great, I miss this kind of parody. :woot:

loadedweapon1poster.jpg

Ahh Ghostbusters. Those movies are GEMS if you ask me. I grew up on those movies, cartoons and toys. There was something so awesome about Slimer when i was a kid.

Newest Movie

Deep Impact- "Oceans Rise, Cities Fall, Hope Survives.
Release Date-5/9/98
Cast: Morgan Freeman, Elijah Wood, LeLee Sobieski, Tea Leoni, Jon Faverau.

Anyone else enjoy this movie? Did you like it more than Armegeddon? Was it more of a tear jerker for you?:huh:

I am not fan of the genre but I think Deep Impact is the better film. Armaggedon is as cliché as cliché can be and to foreign eyes it is even worst, it's an American cliché with the US saving the world, the whole thing with B Willis daughther and her lover, Bruce sacrifice at the end, it is too much ( no offence intended, I have nothing against Amercan people ).
In Deep Impact at least, the disaster isn't avoided by a bunch of off shore oil workers. The one thing that Armaggedon has over Deep Impact is Liv Taylor :hrt:

AFAIC, the movies I watch regulary are Tron ( and now Tron legacy ), Excalibur, Alien/Aliens, LotR ( since I have the new BR set ).

Recently watched The Rock. Now this was a great film back in the day, and still holds up in my eyes. It's one of those rare Michael Bay films that I enjoy. It introduced Nic Cage into the action genre, and showed that Sean Connery still has it in him.

Another older film (older than The Rock) is Quick Change. It's a great comedy with Bill Murrary, Reandy Quaid and Geena Davis. Murray robs a bank dressed as a clown, Davis and Quaid are hostages (in disguise) who later turn out to be his accomplices. The rest of the movie is about them trying to get out of the city....and that's where the hilarity ensues. It's one of those hidden gems that not a lot of people know about, but I think it's one of Murray's best films.

Just watched The Matrix and it still holds up very well, and still kicks some ass. Only complaint I really have that I never really cared about before but kind of sticks with me now is the whole love thing between Neo and Trinity...talk about forced. Other than that, this movie still entertains the hell out of me and I love the message in this film.

I'm going to name two movies, and you guys can go crazy or not.

"The Killer" "Hard Boiled"

Two of John Woo's masterpieces. When it comes to cinema action, he's like a train wreck of ideas and different camera angles. But he cuts it together so perfect. If you haven't seen these movies, you are truly missing out on great action.

Recently watched The Rock. Now this was a great film back in the day, and still holds up in my eyes. It's one of those rare Michael Bay films that I enjoy. It introduced Nic Cage into the action genre, and showed that Sean Connery still has it in him.

I love this movie, of all the films to use the Die Hard format I think The Rock is the best. The setting, the actors and the action set pieces all mesh perfectly for probably my favourite action film of the 90's.

Another older film (older than The Rock) is Quick Change. It's a great comedy with Bill Murrary, Reandy Quaid and Geena Davis. Murray robs a bank dressed as a clown, Davis and Quaid are hostages (in disguise) who later turn out to be his accomplices. The rest of the movie is about them trying to get out of the city....and that's where the hilarity ensues. It's one of those hidden gems that not a lot of people know about, but I think it's one of Murray's best films.

I agree, it seems to be forgotten from Murray's catalogue but it's a really fun, bittersweet little comedy caper.

I'm going to name two movies, and you guys can go crazy or not.

"The Killer" "Hard Boiled"

Two of John Woo's masterpieces. When it comes to cinema action, he's like a train wreck of ideas and different camera angles. But he cuts it together so perfect. If you haven't seen these movies, you are truly missing out on great action.

The Killer is probably Woo's best film IMO, the whole two hander dynamic of slick cop and moral hitman is perfect, it's melodramatic noir with balletic gun battles.

Hard Boiled is a fantastic action thriller that carried a lot of influence, Chow Yun Fat and Tony Leung are both superb in the lead roles and the action sequences are Woo at his peak.

I remember hearing about it. But I don't think I ever watched it.

Does anyone recall a movie called "Fortress"?

NOT the Christopher Lambert movie. Actually this is about a school getting overrun by kidnappers. They all wear masks. The leader wears a Santa mask. At one point in the movie, they make it to a cave and have to swim under water.

It's been years and years since I've seen it. I was curious if anyone else remembered it. I wouldn't mind watching it online, if I thought it may be there.:hrt:

That's the Australian one right? I'm pretty sure I've seen that a few times, they used to play it on TV all the time.

That's the Australian one right? I'm pretty sure I've seen that a few times, they used to play it on TV all the time.

I think you are right. There's another Australian film from back in the 80's called "The Quest" but I heard it was named something different down under.

Whenever I think of a VHS I used to rent a lot when I was a kid, I think of this.
194391.1020.A.jpg

The title pretty much sums up the whole movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"