The New Diamond List for December 15th, 2010

Nothing with "Titans" in the title has been worth reading for the past several years to me. DC has f***ed that franchise up pretty spectacularly.

I have no lingering experiences with anything Titans so without that I think the Titans book is a great read.

Does it annoy anyone other than me that Marvel likes to dub their own stuff classic? Shouldn't it stand the test of time and inspire other things throughout the decades to be considered a classic? Calling it a "modern" classic doesn't mean squat. It comes accross pretty offputtish and cocky to me.

Well, I have to say ... for me, this Spidey story has become a classic. It was the best of the year ... maybe the best of the past five year! And one that I still think about today. Many stories are bagged and forgotten; but, this one worked out so well. It really was like "what if Brubaker wrote Amazing Spider-Man"...and, I mean that classic Brubaker we all so fondly remember from the past, when he was writing Daredevil.

JH, this was the story that I thought was the one you should have picked up. (Instead, you had to grab the one that came afterwards, filling in the gaps of Spidey's relationship with MJ.) With this, you missed a classic!

I wouldn't consider Grim Hunt a classic personally. It was a good arc, one of the best in ASM in a while, but not a classic by any means. The only classic in recent memory for me was The Death of Captain America. And not from #25 to Reborn, just up to when Bucky first took over as Cap.

DC COMICS
Batman And Robin #18 $2.99
Birds Of Prey #7 $2.99
Green Lantern #60 $2.99
Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #5 $3.99

MARVEL COMICS
Captain America Man Out Of Time #2 (Of 5) $3.99
Thor First Thunder #4 (Of 5) $3.99

Last edited:
Well, I have to say ... for me, this Spidey story has become a classic. It was the best of the year ... maybe the best of the past five year! And one that I still think about today. Many stories are bagged and forgotten; but, this one worked out so well. It really was like "what if Brubaker wrote Amazing Spider-Man"...and, I mean that classic Brubaker we all so fondly remember from the past, when he was writing Daredevil.

JH, this was the story that I thought was the one you should have picked up. (Instead, you had to grab the one that came afterwards, filling in the gaps of Spidey's relationship with MJ.) With this, you missed a classic!

I didn't pick it up due to the price but I skimmed every issue at the store and yes it did come accross as very good, despite killing off both Clone Saga characters involved. But there was nothing classic about it. It didn't even get me to a point where I actually wanted to buy the issues. It was just good. There's good arcs in every title every year but I wouldn't dub them classics and the company who made them have no business dubbing them classics either. It's too cocky in my opinion. "Here's how great we are, we just wrote a masterpiece!" Let the legacy of it decide what stands the test of time and what doesn't.

I didn't pick it up due to the price but I skimmed every issue at the store and yes it did come accross as very good, despite killing off both Clone Saga characters involved. But there was nothing classic about it. It didn't even get me to a point where I actually wanted to buy the issues. It was just good. There's good arcs in every title every year but I wouldn't dub them classics and the company who made them have no business dubbing them classics either. It's too cocky in my opinion. "Here's how great we are, we just wrote a masterpiece!" Let the legacy of it decide what stands the test of time and what doesn't.

Yeah, but Kaine wasn't killed off. He rose from the dead in the end.

Batman #705
Batman and Robin #18
Brightest Day #16
DMZ #60
Green Lantern #60
Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #5
Superman #706
The Unwritten #20
Invincible #76
The Walking Dead #80
Avengers Academy #7

Yeah, but Kaine wasn't killed off. He rose from the dead in the end.

I heard something about that. Was it explained how this happened?

And correcting something I had said earlier. I said Grim Hunt didn't get me back onto the book. That's not entirely true. I was interested enough to jump back on having skimmed those but the price kept me away. I opted to try OMIT and was burnt by the osurdity of it but I was still somewhat interested in getting back in the game and moving on. It was ultimately Slott's handling of the Peter/MJ moment during his first issue that turned me away from it. So to say Grim Hunt didn't get me back into the book is a bit misleading.

Nonetheless, the point remains though... it's not Marvel's place to call the story classic or historic or iconic or whatever they call it when it's not even a year old. For now it's just a story that happened. Time will tell how classic it becomes.

Batman and Robin #18
DC Comics Presents Batman #3 (hopefully my store gets it)
Black Panther: The Man Without Fear #513
Wolverine #4

Time Masters Vanishing Point #5 (Of 6)
Unwritten #20
Invincible #76
Walking Dead #80
Amazing Spider-Man #650

Pretty solid week. Lots of great reading!

Brightest Day #16 $2.99
Green Lantern #60 $2.99
Green Lantern Emerald Warriors #5 $3.99
Superman #706 $2.99
Titans #30 $2.99

Avengers Academy #7 $2.99
Thunderbolts #151 $2.99
Uncanny X-Force #3 $3.99
X-Factor #212 $2.99

IMAGE COMICS
Invincible #76

MARVEL COMICS