Drizzle

Harkissin'
Reaction score
[YT]h24CFZqSEAA[/YT]

Rule 1: Don't get them wet.

Rule 2: Keep them out of bright light.

Rule 3: Never feed them after midnight.

Gremlins.png

I grew up with this movie. I loved a lot of the Spielberg-produced movies of the '80s, like this one and "The Goonies". I think it's one of the lesser-appreciated '80s movies, but it's still a classic. You've got Gizmo, Phoebe Cates, an old lady getting thrown through a window and the Gremlins, of course. What's not to like about this movie? But Stripe's death scene did freak me out as a kid.

gremlins.jpg

gremlins2.gif

gremlinsbig.jpg

I also liked "Gremlins 2" as a kid, but now, I don't really appreciate it much. It was way too campy of a sequel. The first was most definitely the best.

I saw this in the movie theater for my 10th birthday. God, I'm old. :oldrazz:

(but I saw it on HBO last weekend and I still love the part where they're all watching Snow White)

This is one movie I keep forgetting to pick up on DVD. Does anyone know if it's worth getting that box set with both 1 and 2?

Just not sure if I'll like 2 as much as I did when I was younger.

Yeah, I just stuck with the first one. Seven bucks at Wal-Mart.

Yeah, I just stuck with the first one. Seven bucks at Wal-Mart.

Part 2 captured none of the wonderful magic of the first one. It just comes off as a studio influenced sequel just made to make a quick buck.

Gremlins 2, while not as good as the first is still awesome.

I like the way they made it way campy.

Gremlins 3 should just happen, but no CGI.

Gremlins 2, while not as good as the first is still awesome.

I like the way they made it way campy.

Gremlins 3 should just happen, but no CGI.

Yeah, I like Gremlins 2 because it did go over the top campy. However, the first is easily the better movie, Gizmo, caca!

I like part 2 although I haven't seen it in a long time. Its great popcorn fun.

Part 1 is a classic. Gizmo is so cute but the part2 gizmo i think is an improvement on the first version

part 1 gizmo
30630.jpg

part2 gizmo
gizmo.jpg

and i love the creativeness they added with the gremlin spiderspike and gizmo finaly recreating his favorite hero
rambo_by_astrozerk04.jpg

I loved Gremlins as a kid. They could be creepy and goofy at the same time. Anyone remember the video game? Ahhh, old school video game cartriges. :D
gremlins2cart.jpg

Gremlins2Daffy.jpg

the_critters_from_gremlin_by_delun.jpg

Part 2 captured none of the wonderful magic of the first one. It just comes off as a studio influenced sequel just made to make a quick buck.
You mean by the opening with Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck, and the scene where the bat Gremlin flies out the window making the Batman logo?

I haven't seen either one in a long time, but I did like the intelligent Gremlin in the second me. Plus, I love the theme song.

did it occur to anyone that the second is meant to be campy and daft, its a spoof of the first film

Gremlins #3 ? I know I'm ready for it.

The intelligent Gremlin in 2 rules.
So does the Bat turned Gargoyle Gremlin, and the Spider Gremlin.

did it occur to anyone that the second is meant to be campy and daft, its a spoof of the first film

It was not meant to be a spoof of the first film. You don't make a spoof of a beloved film with the same director and cast. Mel Brooks and the Zucker's make spoofs to make fun of a film or genre. It's simply a sequel that tried to up the ante of the first and failed. Yes, it could be called camp, I prefer to call it crap.

It's convienient to call a bad film a spoof or camp 20 years after the fact. Show me where Dante said he was spoofing his first and beloved film. He simply made a sequel that failed both financially (just $41 million worldwide), failed critically, and for the most part failed the public. It's a film that failed to capture the spirit of the original film.

I love both of them.

I've always wonder what would happen if GIZMO himself ate after mid-night...would he be a good Gremlin? Or does the Gremlin metamorphosis automatically bring out a mogwi's evil nature...?

I love both of them.

The second one is not exactly a "spoof" film, but it's obviously just making fun of the whole concept of Gremlins. It's not meant to be taken seriously. I think it's really funny. I've always liked the part when the gremlins were ruining the film and Hulk Hogan tells them off. If that scene doesn't tell people it's meant to be a piss-take, than there's really no hope for them. :grin:

I've always wonder what would happen if GIZMO himself ate after mid-night...would he be a good Gremlin? Or does the Gremlin metamorphosis automatically bring out a mogwi's evil nature...?
I think he'd be a "good" Gremlin. In the first one, Stripe was mean even as a Mogwai, and in the second one, the first batch of mogwais that came from Gizmo all acted exactly the same after they turned into Gremlins. So, yeah, I don't think their personalities change after they transform. just a guess.

I'll also say this about "Gremlins 2": All of the mogwai and gremlin special effects were greatly improved upon from the first one.

I've always wondered the same thing. I think it's safe to say he would be the good version of the Gremlins though. You have to remember that whenever he got wet he would multiply worse Gremlins obviously. The ones that always came from him seemed to have an evil side to them from the beginning.

Now that you mention it, it would be a nice concept to explore if they ever made a Gremlins 3. Only problem is how would they go about it? Gizmo would obviously have to eat after midnight for it to happen and it would seem random to do it, so they probably wouldn't do it should they make a Gremlins 3 in the future.

It was not meant to be a spoof of the first film. You don't make a spoof of a beloved film with the same director and cast. Mel Brooks and the Zucker's make spoofs to make fun of a film or genre. It's simply a sequel that tried to up the ante of the first and failed. Yes, it could be called camp, I prefer to call it crap.

It's convienient to call a bad film a spoof or camp 20 years after the fact. Show me where Dante said he was spoofing his first and beloved film. He simply made a sequel that failed both financially (just $41 million worldwide), failed critically, and for the most part failed the public. It's a film that failed to capture the spirit of the original film.

He has said it in the DVD commentaries and numerous interviews. Besides, the movie speaks for itself. Hulk Hogan yelling at Gremlins messing with the projection booth, Richard Maltin reviewing the movie in the movie. It is clearly a much different tone from the first one and obviously meant to be satirical and more light hearted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"