The Hood's play shows up the fallacies and limitations of SHRA!

No, that guy. You know, the one with the hat that says I :heart: BJ's.

Yeah, that guy's crackers. Writing comic book characters correctly? Pfft. Please. :whatever:

That hasn't been done since the 80's. Get with the times.

Leader can hack into the database and e-mail the list to every villain around before the hulkbusters can get him.

MODOK also has superhuman intelligence and could, in theory, hack into the database.
Again, threats that can be easily taken down, most likely before they happen.

Plus given how corrupt and incompetent the MU US government has proven itself, I wouldn't trust them with a shopping list, let alone a list of Super hero IDs.
Hence why Iron Man made sure that he took control of S.H.I.E.L.D. He knew that there are people in the government who can't be trusted

Anyway, the SHRA has always been a boon to villains. The Marvel Universe U.S. Government has always been horribly corrupt and willing to grant any sort of amnesty or trust to the worst of super-criminals before they'd ever be willing to trust the most noble of heroes. That has been true long before Joe Q was EIC, or even drawing for Marvel (or perhaps drawing period). It has been done for drama. CW took that and magnified that by having superheroes who SHOULD KNOW BETTER gladly gathering some of their worst enemies to sic on their former best friends just for some extra bodies. But then again, the biggest problem that CW had all along was "the comittee" that wrote it cared more about misleading and inciting their audience than delivering a coherant story. Had they not invested so much into making the Pro-SHRA unredeemingly wicked, as well as logically built to their anti-climax (rather than engaging in distractions like Spidey Unmasking or Clone Thor), it would have worked better.

Under the SHRA, any super-criminal could easily "profess alligance to the SHRA" and become an agent of The Initiative. This was true before SHRA (as Venom, The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, Taskmaster, Puppet Master, etc. had all worked for the feds before at some point), but became easier afterwards. In addition, a villain could now gain credit if they apprehended their nemesis hero if said hero didn't register. Think about it; any one of Spider-Man's enemies could beat him into a coma, toss him into a precinct and probably get awarded a badge for their effort. The media furthermore chooses to provide intense scrutiny upon heroes for their every error or mistake, while collectively shrugging their shoulders upon villain tragedies because "they don't know any better" or whatever self-defeating logic there is (and I know, in real life, the media does this, too, and it is ever more self-defeating for society).
Actually villain life has gotten tougher in my opinion. The Kingpin's criminal empire is destroyed now. So has Hammerhead's before it got off the ground.

And most villains are forced to join the Initiative and get nanomachines injected into them or sent to the Negative Zone prison.

The Hood is just simply taking advantage of this situation along with the unrest of the hero community.

Actually villain life has gotten tougher in my opinion. The Kingpin's criminal empire is destroyed now. So has Hammerhead's before it got off the ground.

And most villains are forced to join the Initiative and get nanomachines injected into them or sent to the Negative Zone prison.

The Hood is just simply taking advantage of this situation along with the unrest of the hero community.

The Kingpin's criminal empire has been destroyed before and was destroyed before the SHRA.

Hammerhead, yeah, I'll give you that, but Kingpin exploited the CW to take him out as a rival to his empire. Most of the crooks at Hammerhead's gathering were lower bottom feeders than The Hood seemed to gather; aside for Electro, I didn't recall too many decent listers.

I don't think every criminal is given nanobots and if they are, then they don't do a good job. The Thunderbolts have crippled and butchered low level rogue heroes. Venom outright killed Typeface during the final battle with the Secret Avengers and faced no punishment. Moonstone usually makes it very clear that they don't work for Stark and Gyrich is a lot more merciless with his CSA angle.

In real life, if a cop so much as bruises a suspect the wrong way, regardless of how much of a threat they were, they face internal affairs. In post SHRA Marvel, you can deputize a convicted serial killer (or several) and have them pummel, cripple, maim, and even randomly kill any superhero who isn't federalized, regardless of reputation. Besides, I think the nanobots are mostly saved for the "insane" ones. I doubt Armadillo got any when he briefly served in The Rangers. I doubt Taskmaster still has any now. Or Bengal or Constrictor for that matter.

The Kingpin's criminal empire has been destroyed before and was destroyed before the SHRA.
Yeah, Kingpin's empire will return. But a lot of the Hood's abilities to do what he is doing now is because of the void created by the destruction of the Kingpin's empire right now. If Kingpin were around and had his empire, I doubt he'd be able to do what he is doing now. There is just as much chaos in the villain community as there is in the hero community.

I don't think every criminal is given nanobots and if they are, then they don't do a good job. The Thunderbolts have crippled and butchered low level rogue heroes. Venom outright killed Typeface during the final battle with the Secret Avengers and faced no punishment.
That was during the last battle, that really doesn't count. Since then when Venom and Bullseye got too brutal, they've been severely shocked. And Venom did us a favor, Typeface was lame.

Moonstone usually makes it very clear that they don't work for Stark and Gyrich is a lot more merciless with his CSA angle.
Technically, they don't work for Stark. Stark works for an international agency that is guiding the CSA with the Initiative. And Gyrich may be a jackass, a *****e, an asshat, etc. But I don't see it in him betraying heroes identities. He's not a villian, he's just a man who works for the government.

In real life, if a cop so much as bruises a suspect the wrong way, regardless of how much of a threat they were, they face internal affairs. In post SHRA Marvel, you can deputize a convicted serial killer (or several) and have them pummel, cripple, maim, and even randomly kill any superhero who isn't federalized, regardless of reputation. Besides, I think the nanobots are mostly saved for the "insane" ones. I doubt Armadillo got any when he briefly served in The Rangers. I doubt Taskmaster still has any now. Or Bengal or Constrictor for that matter.
I'm willing to bet that they get the nanobots as well considering that Bengal and Constrictor are in the black ops unit of the Initiative. And same with Taskmaster considering that he had the got freed by Deadpool and is going right back to the Initiative. If he didn't have them, wouldn't he just simply run away.

Again, threats that can be easily taken down, most likely before they happen.

So the villains can't pose a threat to Tony's group? That makes for some lame comics. Villains are supposed to more powerful then the hero, the villains being the underdog isn't dramatic.

Hence why Iron Man made sure that he took control of S.H.I.E.L.D. He knew that there are people in the government who can't be trusted

Considering Gyrich is allowed to have a position of power and the CSA is willing to use guys like Bullseye, I would giver Tony an F right now.

Yeah, Kingpin's empire will return. But a lot of the Hood's abilities to do what he is doing now is because of the void created by the destruction of the Kingpin's empire right now. If Kingpin were around and had his empire, I doubt he'd be able to do what he is doing now. There is just as much chaos in the villain community as there is in the hero community.

I'd argue the villain community has been in chaos for quite some time now. They aren't nearly as organized as, say, DC's Secret Society or whatnot. Aside for Kingpin or the organized mobster of the day, the villains usually don't organize beyond random revenge squads or bank robbery sprees.

That was during the last battle, that really doesn't count. Since then when Venom and Bullseye got too brutal, they've been severely shocked. And Venom did us a favor, Typeface was lame.

I know Typeface was lame. But law enforcement agents can't choose who to assassinate and who not to. There were a dozen ways Venom could have stopped or captured Typeface without killing him. During CW, superheroes were being presumed to be monsters for even the slightest of battle errors or misques in a fight. And here Venom outright murders someone, and no one cares. That is called hypocrisy.

Technically, they don't work for Stark. Stark works for an international agency that is guiding the CSA with the Initiative. And Gyrich may be a jackass, a *****e, an asshat, etc. But I don't see it in him betraying heroes identities. He's not a villian, he's just a man who works for the government.

I know they don't work for Stark.

My point was that villains have always been given more trust by Marvel's federal government than heroes. Any super-villain, no matter their crime or sanity level, seemingly can become some sort of government operative if they make even the flimsiest of lip-service vows to want to ammend or work for the fed without question, and as the feds would prefer robots to metahumans who don't have feelings or ethical conflicts, they always accept. SHRA made it easier for this to go on because it turned superheroes into criminals for lack of a signed document and did nothing to punish those who actually were evil.

If Dr. Octopus, who has maimed and killed people, and has attempted to take over the world a dozen times, beat Spider-Man to the brink of death and plopped him in the middle of City Hall and said, "Give me a reward, I want to go straight", he'd be in The Initiative tomorrow.

I'm willing to bet that they get the nanobots as well considering that Bengal and Constrictor are in the black ops unit of the Initiative. And same with Taskmaster considering that he had the got freed by Deadpool and is going right back to the Initiative. If he didn't have them, wouldn't he just simply run away.

Taskmaster, in MCP #2, was tasked to test Maria Hill's HELICARRIER security but then made a threat to her in her bathroom. I doubt he has nanobots, otherwise it would be stupid to allow an operative who threatens your life to run around. Taskmaster's worked for the feds before, and to their credit, he works for money, not because he is insane or evil really.

It simply makes no sense that the same public that has so much scrutiny for genuine superheroes would bend over backwards and worship thugs like the Thunderbolts and whatnot.

The SHRA makes life harder for superheroes, not villains. Thinks like the N-Zone prison don't last because villains need to be reused (apparently they escape during transport or something). Hence the folly of using genre expectations as story flaws.

So the villains can't pose a threat to Tony's group? That makes for some lame comics. Villains are supposed to more powerful then the hero, the villains being the underdog isn't dramatic.

Considering Gyrich is allowed to have a position of power and the CSA is willing to use guys like Bullseye, I would giver Tony an F right now.

I agree.

Frankly, the problem is many villains AREN'T allowed to become more powerful, or improve their angle, or whatnot. Some villains, the Overused A-Listers, are the favorites and used into infinity and become mangled. But that leaves the others, the B, C, and D Listers who just exist to be pummeled, and that negates their threat.

Hammerhead, yeah, I'll give you that, but Kingpin exploited the CW to take him out as a rival to his empire. Most of the crooks at Hammerhead's gathering were lower bottom feeders than The Hood seemed to gather; aside for Electro, I didn't recall too many decent listers.

I don't think every criminal is given nanobots and if they are, then they don't do a good job. The Thunderbolts have crippled and butchered low level rogue heroes. Venom outright killed Typeface during the final battle with the Secret Avengers and faced no punishment. Moonstone usually makes it very clear that they don't work for Stark and Gyrich is a lot more merciless with his CSA angle.

Not if its a brotha

I know Typeface was lame. But law enforcement agents can't choose who to assassinate and who not to. There were a dozen ways Venom could have stopped or captured Typeface without killing him. During CW, superheroes were being presumed to be monsters for even the slightest of battle errors or misques in a fight. And here Venom outright murders someone, and no one cares. That is called hypocrisy.
The reason why it isn't really considered a big deal was because it was during the last battle of the Civil War where over 50 people got killed.

Now that Civil War is over, Venom and Bullseye are treated much more harshly.

I know they don't work for Stark.

My point was that villains have always been given more trust by Marvel's federal government than heroes. Any super-villain, no matter their crime or sanity level, seemingly can become some sort of government operative if they make even the flimsiest of lip-service vows to want to ammend or work for the fed without question, and as the feds would prefer robots to metahumans who don't have feelings or ethical conflicts, they always accept. SHRA made it easier for this to go on because it turned superheroes into criminals for lack of a signed document and did nothing to punish those who actually were evil.

If Dr. Octopus, who has maimed and killed people, and has attempted to take over the world a dozen times, beat Spider-Man to the brink of death and plopped him in the middle of City Hall and said, "Give me a reward, I want to go straight", he'd be in The Initiative tomorrow.
I doubt it would be that simple. Take a look at the Thunderbolts who are given nanobots to keep them under control, because they can't be trusted. Considering that Bengal and Constrictor are not public members of the Initiative, it can be assumed that they're treated the same.

You don't see the government giving nearly fatal nanobots to ACTUAL heroes.

Taskmaster, in MCP #2, was tasked to test Maria Hill's HELICARRIER security but then made a threat to her in her bathroom. I doubt he has nanobots, otherwise it would be stupid to allow an operative who threatens your life to run around. Taskmaster's worked for the feds before, and to their credit, he works for money, not because he is insane or evil really.
1. I don't read MCP and didn't that issue come out this week. Sue me for not knowing about that :csad:

2. Who hired Taskmaster?

It simply makes no sense that the same public that has so much scrutiny for genuine superheroes would bend over backwards and worship thugs like the Thunderbolts and whatnot.
You know, that really doesn't make any sense. Why the hell does the public care more for the freaking Thunderbolts than freaking Spider-Man?!

The SHRA makes life harder for superheroes, not villains. Thinks like the N-Zone prison don't last because villains need to be reused (apparently they escape during transport or something). Hence the folly of using genre expectations as story flaws.
Didn't you read Front Line during Civil War? The point of the Negative Zone prison was to only temporarily used for anti-reg heroes so that Tony Stark could get a super prison for villains.

And Taskmaster did get freed during transport :oldrazz:.

It does make life harder for villains, because if they get caught, they either go to the Negative Zone or they're forced to join the Initiative against their will and given nanobots which could cripple them.

And it can make life easier for superheroes. It builds up confidence in the hero community from the public. They get salaries and benfits. And they can still have secret identities (from the public at least) which is guarded by Stark and Richards. The lives of superheroes that it has made it harder for is those who refuse to register.

Maria Hill

The fact that idiot is still on the government's pay roll and the fact that Norman Osborn was given a position of power in the government, makes think Stark has failed to clean up the government. Also Gyrich is like a comic book version of Michael Brown and he was given a position of power. The fact that the government let Bullseye cripple a hero hasn't filled with confidence either.

Wait, Maria Hill hired Taskmaster?

Yes, because she is an idiot, she been idiot from day one and she still has a high position in SHIELD. Stark is doing a real good job cleaning up the government.

The reason why it isn't really considered a big deal was because it was during the last battle of the Civil War where over 50 people got killed.

Now that Civil War is over, Venom and Bullseye are treated much more harshly.

Venom and Bullseye seem to be more harsh with perps.

I doubt it would be that simple. Take a look at the Thunderbolts who are given nanobots to keep them under control, because they can't be trusted. Considering that Bengal and Constrictor are not public members of the Initiative, it can be assumed that they're treated the same.

You don't see the government giving nearly fatal nanobots to ACTUAL heroes.

You don't see the government cutting heroes a break as often as they have to criminals.

1. I don't read MCP and didn't that issue come out this week. Sue me for not knowing about that :csad:

2. Who hired Taskmaster?

Maria Hill.

You know, that really doesn't make any sense. Why the hell does the public care more for the freaking Thunderbolts than freaking Spider-Man?!

Exactly!

Didn't you read Front Line during Civil War? The point of the Negative Zone prison was to only temporarily used for anti-reg heroes so that Tony Stark could get a super prison for villains.

And Taskmaster did get freed during transport :oldrazz:.

It does make life harder for villains, because if they get caught, they either go to the Negative Zone or they're forced to join the Initiative against their will and given nanobots which could cripple them.

And it can make life easier for superheroes. It builds up confidence in the hero community from the public. They get salaries and benfits. And they can still have secret identities (from the public at least) which is guarded by Stark and Richards. The lives of superheroes that it has made it harder for is those who refuse to register.

But, really, why would anyone in the government think that "making" criminals work for the government would be a good idea? Imagine if captured mobsters, gang members, and terrorists not only were used to "build cases" against other crooks, but were given badges, guns, and sent out into the streets to act as cops. It wouldn't matter what sort of control devices were in place, the public would never stand for it and almost no one in government would want to support it, lest it be political suicide.

Once again, the dilemma of trying to make comics more "realistic" while at the same time HAVING to sacrifice that for story. Pick and choose enough times and it gets awkward.

As for "refusing to register", the biggest problem of CW was that it wanted us to root for the Secret Avengers before "stunning" us with their loss. The entire story was an allegory against surpressing civil rights and autonomy from government and said government being harsh to get it's way, such as creating clones and amassing an army of vicious thugs (you'll notice that Jester and Jack O' Lantern, didn't merely attempt to apprehend Spider-Man, but just about beat him into the hospital and probably could have killed him before any SHIELD op could press a magic button). But in the end, the moral of CW was that the jack-booted fascists won (or that Bush got re-elected and we couldn't blame it on the Supreme Court of Florida this time, your call).
There was little attempt to make the Secret Avengers seem like the antagonists. The only attempt was when Punisher was accepted into the ranks as perhaps the ultimate example of unrestrained vigilantism, but that is unfair because the great majority of superheroes who didn't want to register were hardly killers like Frank Castle. The great majority of superhero rescues and battles are successful, but the SHRA magnified the small percentages when mistakes happen, and was an overreaction. The idea of creating a federal superhero force with training and team placement in every state is a good idea; the bad idea is making it so un-optional that you create criminals out of decent people over it. Prohibition was flawed for much the same way (and, arguably, all but created the mafia in America).

If The Hood can find out Tigra's home address and family members, and she's been a cop for the longest time, then I doubt other superheroes will be as protected. You'll notice that the great majority of the Pro-SHRA heroes were heroes who HAD NO friends or family members who weren't also superheroes or metahumans.

(and, ironically, during the ACTS OF VENGEANCE storyline of the 80's when a bunch of villains offered hits on superheroes and pitted random lower level baddies against new opponents, Congress attempted to pass a law very similar to the SHRA, I believe it was the Super Powers Registration Act, and many of the same heroes who were instantly accepting of the SHRA were strongly against it's near identical earlier incarnation later, such as Wasp and Wonder Man. But, research isn't what Marvel's EIC is all about.)

I was mostly over CW and some of the ills, especially as some good books have come of it (AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE, THE ORDER, NEW WARRIORS, THE LONERS, OMEGA FLIGHT, etc) and it produced interest in a lot of lower level characters, I just got over the Cap Omnibus and that reopened some of the wounds. :p

Venom and Bullseye seem to be more harsh with perps.
Exactly, and that's why you see Venom getting shocked when he tries to kill and Bullseye is currently incapacitated.

You don't see the government cutting heroes a break as often as they have to criminals.
Unfortunately true, but it's rather undeniable that the heroes in the Initative are treated a lot better.

Maria Hill.
So basically, he did a job for S.H.I.E.L.D. which pretty much controls the Initiative. That really just tells me that Taskmaster still has his nanobots. Was there anything in the comic that would make it seem like he wasn't under Initiative control?

But, really, why would anyone in the government think that "making" criminals work for the government would be a good idea? Imagine if captured mobsters, gang members, and terrorists not only were used to "build cases" against other crooks, but were given badges, guns, and sent out into the streets to act as cops. It wouldn't matter what sort of control devices were in place, the public would never stand for it and almost no one in government would want to support it, lest it be political suicide.
As you can see, the Marvel pubic is stupid considering that they still hate mutants and are accepting of the Thunderbolts despite the fact that it has Venom on the team.

Once again, the dilemma of trying to make comics more "realistic" while at the same time HAVING to sacrifice that for story. Pick and choose enough times and it gets awkward.
Except there are a few "unrealistic" things such as the public being very trusting of the Thunderbolts or how Norman Osborne being in charge of the damn group. In real life the public would be very wary of them and a person like Osborn wouldn't be in charge of it, someone like Gyrich would.

As for "refusing to register", the biggest problem of CW was that it wanted us to root for the Secret Avengers before "stunning" us with their loss. The entire story was an allegory against surpressing civil rights and autonomy from government and said government being harsh to get it's way, such as creating clones and amassing an army of vicious thugs (you'll notice that Jester and Jack O' Lantern, didn't merely attempt to apprehend Spider-Man, but just about beat him into the hospital and probably could have killed him before any SHIELD op could press a magic button). But in the end, the moral of CW was that the jack-booted fascists won (or that Bush got re-elected and we couldn't blame it on the Supreme Court of Florida this time, your call).
I know that Civil War was a commentary on current situations in the United States, but I think you might be looking too much into it.

There was little attempt to make the Secret Avengers seem like the antagonists. The only attempt was when Punisher was accepted into the ranks as perhaps the ultimate example of unrestrained vigilantism, but that is unfair because the great majority of superheroes who didn't want to register were hardly killers like Frank Castle. The great majority of superhero rescues and battles are successful, but the SHRA magnified the small percentages when mistakes happen, and was an overreaction. The idea of creating a federal superhero force with training and team placement in every state is a good idea; the bad idea is making it so un-optional that you create criminals out of decent people over it. Prohibition was flawed for much the same way (and, arguably, all but created the mafia in America).
Actually the Secret Avengers did have some flaws. They worked with criminals such as the Kingpin and were willing to work with others before the Punisher killed them.

If The Hood can find out Tigra's home address and family members, and she's been a cop for the longest time, then I doubt other superheroes will be as protected. You'll notice that the great majority of the Pro-SHRA heroes were heroes who HAD NO friends or family members who weren't also superheroes or metahumans.
But Tigra had a public identity before the Initiative. Using her as an example is rather poor. If Tigra had a secret identity, it would be a different story.

I was mostly over CW and some of the ills, especially as some good books have come of it (AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE, THE ORDER, NEW WARRIORS, THE LONERS, OMEGA FLIGHT, etc) and it produced interest in a lot of lower level characters, I just got over the Cap Omnibus and that reopened some of the wounds. :p
I agree, Civil War may have ended rather poorly, but the Initiative has been great.

If you are correct hippie hunter, how are there supposed to be interesting stories in MU if the heroes outclass the villains so completely nowadays. The appeal of Marvel villains is that they were supposed to more powerful then the heroes and the heroes were the underdogs. If the villains are now the underdogs, that seems really boring, so what are villains irrelevant now? Why does Stark just send all the villains to the N-zone and then cure all diseases, so that there are no more problems and the can end the Marvel universe? Because if the villains are irrelevant, how are they supposed to tell stories from now on?

Also if Iron Man's tech is hack proof, how did Ultron hack into Stark's armor?

If you are correct hippie hunter, how are there supposed to be interesting stories in MU if the heroes outclass the villains so completely nowadays. The appeal of Marvel villains is that they were supposed to more powerful then the heroes and the heroes were the underdogs. If the villains are now the underdogs, that seems really boring, so what are villains irrelevant now? Why does Stark just send all the villains to the N-zone and then cure all diseases, so that there are no more problems and the can end the Marvel universe? Because if the villains are irrelevant, how are they supposed to tell stories from now on?
I'm not saying that they shouldn't be threats but based on what I read from Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk, M.O.D.O.K. and the Leader just don't seem to be as threatening as they used to.

Also if Iron Man's tech is hack proof, how did Ultron hack into Stark's armor?
Because she's the goddamn Ultron.

Actually, the villains being the underdogs isn't an inherently boring concept. I mean, having these clever bastards working on a shoe string budget trying to take down a big, monolithic law enforcement agency and succeeding would be pretty cool.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be threats but based on what I read from Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk, M.O.D.O.K. and the Leader just don't seem to be as threatening as they used to.

MODOK seems to be doing well in MODOK 11, villains are as threatening as the writers make them. If the Initiative outclasses 95% of the villains in MU, that's boring and limits story telling. Will comic battles just last 2 panels and then the Mighty avengers go out for coffee for the rest of issue? If Ultron can hack Iron Man's armor, I don't see why Thinker can't hack SHIELD.

Actually, the villains being the underdogs isn't an inherently boring concept. I mean, having these clever bastards working on a shoe string budget trying to take down a big, monolithic law enforcement agency and succeeding would be pretty cool.

Its boring for me, Venom vs. Spider-man is better than Stilt-Man vs. Thor, because Spidey may win, but he is the underdog and it is exciting to see how he will win, with a fight that favors the hero, you are just wondering why the hero hasn't won in a few panels. Its boring when a villain who has no chance of winning have to last a whole issue. Initiative vs. most villains have been akin to "Thor vs. Stilt-man", Hood's team stands no chance against the Mighty Avengers and even strange could solo them on his own. The only way villains can be a threat if the is heroes get sloppy, like Ultron hacking into Iron Man's armor (and getting a sex change), so either the villains are irrelevant if the initiative is not as tough as we are lead to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"