The Hood's play shows up the fallacies and limitations of SHRA!

MODOK seems to be doing well in MODOK 11, villains are as threatening as the writers make them. If the Initiative outclasses 95% of the villains in MU, that's boring and limits story telling. Will comic battles just last 2 panels and then the Mighty avengers go out for coffee for the rest of issue? If Ultron can hack Iron Man's armor, I don't see why Thinker can't hack SHIELD.

Take a look at who the Initiative has: Iron Man, the Sentry, Ares (the Roman GOD of War), Ms. Marvel, Trauma, Squirrel Girl, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, etc.

It's safe to say that the Initiative outclasses 95% of the villains in the MU, considering that most are people like Hydro Man, Dr. Octopus, HYDRA, etc.

I'd be more afraid of the Dr. Dooms, Red Skulls, etc.

Take a look at who the Initiative has: Iron Man, the Sentry, Ares (the Roman GOD of War), Ms. Marvel, Trauma, Squirrel Girl, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, etc.

It's safe to say that the Initiative outclasses 95% of the villains in the MU, considering that most are people like Hydro Man, Dr. Octopus, HYDRA, etc.

I'd be more afraid of the Dr. Dooms, Red Skulls, etc.

Red Skull is just a Nazi with some good connections, how is supposed to pose a threat to this group? Killing Cap and killing ares are two different tasks.

This group so powerful that boring, if 95% of the villains don't pose a threat, then how do tell exciting stories with them? If they outfight and out think almost every villain, then why won't stories last two panels?

This why I hate the Initiative, the very concept limits story telling possibilities.

Red Skull is just a Nazi with some good connections, how is supposed to pose a threat to this group? Killing Cap and killing ares are two different tasks.
The guy killed Cap. That's like killing Superman. He killed a symbol. Killing a symbol can do a lot more than say killing Typeface. :o

This group so powerful that boring, if 95% of the villains don't pose a threat, then how do tell exciting stories with them? If they outfight and out think almost every villain, then why won't stories last two panels?

This why I hate the Initiative, the very concept limits story telling possibilities.
Take a look at the Hood and his group. The Initiative should be able to cream each and every one of them. But the Hood is playing it smart and is making an actual threat. That's entertaining to me.

The guy killed Cap. That's like killing Superman. He killed a symbol. Killing a symbol can do a lot more than say killing Typeface. :o

Kill all symbols you want, it still won't stop Ares from kicking your butt.

Take a look at the Hood and his group. The Initiative should be able to cream each and every one of them. But the Hood is playing it smart and is making an actual threat. That's entertaining to me.

That just makes Tony look like idiot though, Mr. futurist can't see that the villains might try to bully some of the members and threatening their families. I could have seen that. Seriously the only way for villains to pose a threat to the Initiative, is for the Initiative to be written as idiots. That's just bad writing.

20070620ironman.png

Exactly, and that's why you see Venom getting shocked when he tries to kill and Bullseye is currently incapacitated.

But the end product is still some perp who is crippled or loses a limb or whatnot. How often did the Avengers do that to the Masters of Evil? Hell, I'm sure Maria Hill'd preferred that (she once stated that morally, she blamed most of Green Goblin's murders on Spider-Man because he never killed Norman, and not on the lackluster justice system that can't contain him. And here he is, leading the Thunderbolts).

Unfortunately true, but it's rather undeniable that the heroes in the Initative are treated a lot better.

As much as I like the comic itself, that is debateable. MVP died on the first day because of sheer instructor incompetance with a training simulation, and Armory was stripped of her powers as a result. They were expected to kill HYDRA agents during an attack on Bush's Texas Ranch, despite the fact that most superheroes, even Capt. America, see killing as a last resort. The Initiative isn't training superheroes, they are training super-soldiers, and that is a dilemma. There are some cooler heads, though, and hopefully they prevail. The SHRA itself may not be the issue, but the enforcement.

So basically, he did a job for S.H.I.E.L.D. which pretty much controls the Initiative. That really just tells me that Taskmaster still has his nanobots. Was there anything in the comic that would make it seem like he wasn't under Initiative control?

Because I am confident before long Taskmaster will be used in a manner where it would make little sense for him to be under nanobot control. After all, Deadpool did free him, didn't he?

As you can see, the Marvel pubic is stupid considering that they still hate mutants and are accepting of the Thunderbolts despite the fact that it has Venom on the team.

Yes. In real life, some people STILL think O.J. is being railroaded, or that Jacko got a bum rap (and in large numbers). In Marvel's public, you can save the world ten times over on national TV, but one imposter ruins your image forever. And, yeah, they are occasionally accepting of giant mutant death robots, when in real life no hate crime is tolerated outright and universally. It seems attempts to make the MU "more realistic" sometimes miss some actual realism.

Except there are a few "unrealistic" things such as the public being very trusting of the Thunderbolts or how Norman Osborne being in charge of the damn group. In real life the public would be very wary of them and a person like Osborn wouldn't be in charge of it, someone like Gyrich would.

Ellis' theme on Thunderbolts is "if the Americans were stupid enough to re-elect Bush, they will believe anything", and that is what leads into NEW THUNDERBOLTS. But, yeah, I agree with you here.

I know that Civil War was a commentary on current situations in the United States, but I think you might be looking too much into it.

I'm not. The very media that felt a Republican president with a Republican majority in Congress was the worst thing ever will fawn like dopers if Hillary or Obama wins the Presidency with a Democratic majority. The media is that predictable, polarized, and laughable.

Had Kerry won, America would have no longer been seen as a vile place and CW would not have happened. But, that's a moot point now.

Actually the Secret Avengers did have some flaws. They worked with criminals such as the Kingpin and were willing to work with others before the Punisher killed them.

But they weren't as exaggerated as much as the Pro-SHRA's sins. We were expected to root for the Secret Avengers against the overreaching stomp of civil liberties over security, but the thugs won.

But Tigra had a public identity before the Initiative. Using her as an example is rather poor. If Tigra had a secret identity, it would be a different story.

True. But she came up in NA with The Hood, so I had to run with her. You'd think that in all cities, and all characters, Tigra wouldn't have to explain herself to beat cops. If even after registering and being a police officer with a badge beforehand, cops are STILL shooting at you, the SHRA is useless.

I agree, Civil War may have ended rather poorly, but the Initiative has been great.

So far.

That IRON MAN comic is amusing but naturally there are flaws in the arguements:

- Marvel has yet to collectively decide whether Hulk kills people in rampages. For every writer who insists he does, another says he doesn't. Bendis proclaims that Hulk is a mass murderer. Greg Pak invents "Hulk Math" to explain why no one ever dies. The jury is near a mistrial on this one. Still, I'm not morally against the idea to exile the Hulk, especially since it has been done before. The method, on the other hand, was shoddy.

- The bit about "the rights of people whose property is smashed" is valid, the only problem is that Tony Stark debunked this arguement, himself, in the PRELUDE TO CIVIL WAR run in ASM. He tallied that the cost of property damage during superhero battles was far, far, FAR less than the cost to the nation had all those various threats from supervillains/criminals succeeded or gone unavenged. He even claimed "the U.S. was getting a bargain". Still, I would imagine in the MU there should be something called "Superbattle Insurance", especially in New York or California, the former centers of Marvel action. :p

Many of these issues come from choosing as writer as polarizing as Millar and seeming to act like all these characters battling were never friends before. Anyway, post CW with the SHRA law, all I see are the same villains popping up over and over like before, and many heroes running from the cape-killers.

Its boring for me, Venom vs. Spider-man is better than Stilt-Man vs. Thor, because Spidey may win, but he is the underdog and it is exciting to see how he will win, with a fight that favors the hero, you are just wondering why the hero hasn't won in a few panels. Its boring when a villain who has no chance of winning have to last a whole issue. Initiative vs. most villains have been akin to "Thor vs. Stilt-man", Hood's team stands no chance against the Mighty Avengers and even strange could solo them on his own. The only way villains can be a threat if the is heroes get sloppy, like Ultron hacking into Iron Man's armor (and getting a sex change), so either the villains are irrelevant if the initiative is not as tough as we are lead to believe.

I wasn't talking about straight one on one fights. I was talking about a group of villains with no funds, no resources, and crappy powers taking on an organization like SHEILD of The Initiative and giving them hell simply because they're smarter.

I wasn't talking about straight one on one fights. I was talking about a group of villains with no funds, no resources, and crappy powers taking on an organization like SHEILD of The Initiative and giving them hell simply because they're smarter.

You haven't not been paying attention, the Initiative has Tony Stark, Reed Richards and serveral other super geniuses on their team. Besides Doom, who is supposed to pose an intellectual threat to this team?

The only way most villains can pose an intellectual threat to the Initiative is way writing most of the Initiative as morons and that's just bad writing.

You haven't not been paying attention, the Initiative has Tony Stark, Reed Richards and serveral other super geniuses on their team. Besides Doom, who is supposed to pose an intellectual threat to this team?

The only way most villains can pose an intellectual threat to the Initiative is way writing most of the Initiative as morons and that's just bad writing.

There are plenty of villains who can pose an intellectual threat to Reed and Tony. They may not posess their scientific skills, but what I'm talking about requires keen tactical minds, not scientific wizardry. And even the most brilliant tacticians can be outsmarted by some previously thought to be pathetic schmuck, either because they under-estimated the person, or there were variables that they could not have taken into account. You don't have to write the Initiative as idiots to have villains pose a threat. You just have to have villains be clever about their villainy.

There are plenty of villains who can pose an intellectual threat to Reed and Tony. They may not posess their scientific skills, but what I'm talking about requires keen tactical minds, not scientific wizardry. And even the most brilliant tacticians can be outsmarted by some previously thought to be pathetic schmuck, either because they under-estimated the person, or there were variables that they could not have taken into account. You don't have to write the Initiative as idiots to have villains pose a threat. You just have to have villains be clever about their villainy.

Can you think of examples, because hippie hunnter has said MODOK, Leader and Thinker aren't in the Initiative's league.

Can you think of examples, because hippie hunnter has said MODOK, Leader and Thinker aren't in the Initiative's league.

I don't see why. I mean, I doubt any of them on their own could pose a signifigant threat to the entirety of The Initiative, although they're all proven quite capable of commiting crimes to garner a top spot on any law enforcement agency's most wanted list (The Leader did set off a nuke in a small mid western town just to see what would happen to the survivors). As a part of some small network, on the other hand, any of them could hurt the organization in some way.

I don't see why. I mean, I doubt any of them on their own could pose a signifigant threat to the entirety of The Initiative, although they're all proven quite capable of commiting crimes to garner a top spot on any law enforcement agency's most wanted list (The Leader did set off a nuke in a small mid western town just to see what would happen to the survivors). As a part of some small network, on the other hand, any of them could hurt the organization in some way.

Ask hippie hunter. It seems to have do with MODOK's and Leader's most recent appearances in Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk

Anyway can you think of examples I haven't covered or discussed already? I mean if Stark and Reed are supposed to futurists wouldn't they have predicted that before that stuff happens.

Um...Ares isn't the Roman god of anything. He's the Greek god of war. Mars is the Roman god of war and agriculture.

Anyway can you think of examples I haven't covered or discussed already? I mean if Stark and Reed are supposed to futurists wouldn't they have predicted that before that stuff happens.

Futurists can't actually see the future. They just make predictions based on recuring themes in history, current trends, and a bit of common sense. There can still be variables, like some random criminal suddenly deciding to make a name for himself, that can jump out and surprise them.

Futurists can't actually see the future. They just make predictions based on recuring themes in history, current trends, and a bit of common sense. There can still be variables, like some random criminal suddenly deciding to make a name for himself, that can jump out and surprise them.

Can you answer my question already, who can pose an intellectual threat to this group and how could they attack it?

Also you would think common sense would dictate Stark would deduce that some villains would threaten members of his team, so the Hood's plan shouldn't have worked anyway.

:confused: What, he should've had SHIELD guards standing beside Tigra and every other Initiative member for the rest of their lives?

Can you answer my question already, who can pose an intellectual threat to this group and how could they attack it?

I don't know. Anyone with a keen enough tactical mind and enough support. I suppose I'll use the example of Count Nefaria. In fact, I think a sort of feud between The Maggia and The Initiative, mirroring the FBI cracking down on the Mafia in the 30s, would make for a good storyline.

Also you would think common sense would dictate Stark would deduce that some villains would threaten members of his team, so the Hood's plan shouldn't have worked anyway.

You can't plan for every possible danger. Of course some villains would threaten members of The Initiative. They are, in many of their functions, a law enforcement agency. You crack down on crime, crime's going to fight back.

:confused: What, he should've had SHIELD guards standing beside Tigra and every other Initiative member for the rest of their lives?

If they have public IDs he should protect close family members.

Besides you think Stark would have given his team briefings that if one of them is threatened by a villain, they should tell him right away. The Hood will be in real trouble if tigra tells Tony about his threats and sentry can save her Mom beofre the hood can act against her.

I agree, he will be in trouble. As in, in the future, since Tigra hasn't had time to do anything except bleed and scream so far. We know the Hood has lofty plans, but we don't know how effective he'll turn out to be. If he recruits some real powerhouses, he could definitely get far. Preparation and numbers can only do so much against superior firepower. But if his top guys are always going to be the Wrecking Crew, he's ****ed.

I don't know. Anyone with a keen enough tactical mind and enough support. I suppose I'll use the example of Count Nefaria. In fact, I think a sort of feud between The Maggia and The Initiative, mirroring the FBI cracking down on the Mafia in the 30s, would make for a good storyline..

Isn't that exactly like the Hood storyline we are seeing now? Come on, use your imagination, don't recyle current storylines.

You can't plan for every possible danger. Of course some villains would threaten members of The Initiative. They are, in many of their functions, a law enforcement agency. You crack down on crime, crime's going to fight back.

To quote myself:

"If they have public IDs he should protect close family members.

Besides you think Stark would have given his team briefings that if one of them is threatened by a villain, they should tell him right away. The Hood will be in real trouble if Tigra tells Tony about his threats and sentry can save her Mom beofre the hood can act against her."

I agree, he will be in trouble. As in, in the future, since Tigra hasn't had time to do anything except bleed and scream so far. We know the Hood has lofty plans, but we don't know how effective he'll turn out to be. If he recruits some real powerhouses, he could definitely get far. Preparation and numbers can only do so much against superior firepower. But if his top guys are always going to be the Wrecking Crew, he's ****ed.

Assuming Tigra isn't a total coward and has common sense and tells Tony about this, the Hood is screwed right now. Very few villains can compete with Sentry.

Very few villains can get the Sentry up off his ass to fight them, it seems. ;)

Isn't that exactly like the Hood storyline we are seeing now? Come on, use your imagination, don't recyle current storylines.

I haven't read The Hood storyline. Anyway, I suppose some terrorist group could infiltrait The Initiative with sleeper agents and bring them down. I know they'd do a background check, but I'm sure any geurilla orgnanization worth it's salt could keep a certain agent's connection to them a secret if they made a real effort.

To quote myself:

"If they have public IDs he should protect close family members.

Besides you think Stark would have given his team briefings that if one of them is threatened by a villain, they should tell him right away. The Hood will be in real trouble if Tigra tells Tony about his threats and sentry can save her Mom beofre the hood can act against her."

Well, I think the feeling with The Initiative is that if you kill a member of The Initiative or a family member of a member of The Initiative, you'd have the full force of the Initiative coming down on your head. Certain rules might even be ignored since you ****ed with one of their own.

I haven't read The Hood storyline. Anyway, I suppose some terrorist group could infiltrait The Initiative with sleeper agents and bring them down. I know they'd do a background check, but I'm sure any geurilla orgnanization worth it's salt could keep a certain agent's connection to them a secret if they made a real effort..

Regardless the super villain mafia thing is being done right now.

The Initiative from what I have seen is mostly made up of established heroes who have a long track record of do gooding or peeple who were created to be heroes and given powers by Stark and his crew. Stark will come off as idiot if he gave powers to someone who is terrorist.

Also I never heard of Al-Qaeda being able to put a man in the CIA.

Well, I think the feeling with The Initiative is that if you kill a member of The Initiative or a family member of a member of The Initiative, you'd have the full force of the Initiative coming down on your head. Certain rules might even be ignored since you ****ed with one of their own.

Exactly that's why the Hood's current scheme seems flawed, he is threatening Tigra's family and if Tigra tells Tony, the Hood is screwed.

Regardless the super villain mafia thing is being done right now.

Okay.

The Initiative from what I have seen is mostly made up of established heroes who have a long track record of do gooding or peeple who were created to be heroes and given powers by Stark and his crew. Stark will come off as idiot if he gave powers to someone who is terrorist.

The thing is, he wouldn't know they were a terrorist. That's kind of the whole point of being a spy. You're enemies don't know you're helping to get them killed.

Also I never heard of Al-Qaeda being able to put a man in the CIA.

Well, if they had done so succesfully, we wouldn't know about it, would we?

The thing is, he wouldn't know they were a terrorist. That's kind of the whole point of being a spy. You're enemies don't know you're helping to get them killed.?

Tony has access to telepaths, the best tech in the world (they investigate everything) and Tony has pledged to heroes more accountable and to clean up the government.

If the Initiative is giving sleeper terrorists powers and then letting them be members, Tony is a moron.

Well, if they had done so succesfully, we wouldn't know about it, would we?

Why would anyone in the CIA be in Al-Qaeda?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"