The Horror Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The icons will be back in full force just as soon as they prove as profitable as the stuff that is out now.

The budget for the iconic characters from big studios is far greater than your average ghost movie. The studio could make The Purge and TEN sequels for LESS money than it took to make just the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot film.

And when you look at the all time domestic box office...the slasher icons don't even show up in the top 20. It is a higher cost, smaller fanbase.

The icons will be back in full force just as soon as they prove as profitable as the stuff that is out now.

The budget for the iconic characters from big studios is far greater than your average ghost movie. The studio could make The Purge and TEN sequels for LESS money than it took to make just the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot film.

And when you look at the all time domestic box office...the slasher icons don't even show up in the top 20. It is a higher cost, smaller fanbase.

The budget thing is BS tbh cause the studios over spend nowawdays to get stuff to look prettier. Friday the 13th movies and Halloween movies don't need a colossal budget of 20 million or so at all.

Also Friday the 13th made 90+ mil from a 20 mil budget so I'd say that's very profitable. Horror movies don't tend to make blockbuster money, they just make a few times their budget.

Its amazing we didn't get a F13th or NOES sequel when both we're box office hits.

If both were box office hits, we'd have sequels by now. Instead, the studios have been ignoring them in favor of rushing out sequels to The Conjuring, Paranormal Activity, Insidious etc.

Though, from what I hear, the next Friday the 13th movie will be found footage...so maybe they are taking a massive chunk out of the budget in order to increase potential profitability.

They were box office hits have you even bothered to check the numbers?

Its WBs who has held those projects back cause as usual WBs have so many films on their slate and only release so many a year. Why do u think the F13th rights have reverted back to Paramount?!

Seriously do some research and bother to read what I said about Friday's numbers.

If both were box office hits, we'd have sequels by now. Instead, the studios have been ignoring them in favor of rushing out sequels to The Conjuring, Paranormal Activity, Insidious etc.

Though, from what I hear, the next Friday the 13th movie will be found footage...so maybe they are taking a massive chunk out of the budget in order to increase potential profitability.

Lord I hope it isn't found footage. Sounds like a worse version of Halloween Resurrection.

I'm not totally against the found footage myself simply because the movie series probably needs to try something else in the modern day that doesn't involve Jason going to Manhattan or Outer Space. However, as some have said how the hell would it even work? You can't really have a dozen cameras or one person filming the whole thing. I think if they do want to do found footage maybe just have a part of the movie filmed that way like when they did the Game Mode scene in Doom or something.

If they're insistent on it then they'll find a way to do it but I'd rather they just did another entry that will most likely be in 3D.

Whatever they choose to do just please get Derek Mears back.

No. More. Found. Footage. !

Sick of that lazy, half-assed, low-budget ****. It's one thing if that's literally all you have the budget for because you're independent or a small studio. When you're something large and well-funded, it's inexcusable.

I don't even think it suits the F13th formula at all. Its fine for stuff where u can't see whose killing but people want to see Jason kill in creative ways. Tbh I know they kind of did it in HR but it is something that would be mor suitable to Michael Myers and even then I don't think its a dead on thing. Film it like a Terence Malik film by all accounts but found footage is not the way to go.

The only way I'm OK with that found footage garbage is if its a movie ABOUT found footage. Most found footage movies are absolute crap with the only quality being the last 10 mins of the movie.

So we would have Jason hunters doing research and having some found footage before going out to take on the myth as a regular movie.

IMO the strongest part of Blairwitch, I am a fan of that movie, is the first 20 mins or so when they go into the town and talk about the myth. If the next F13 movie can do something like that we wouldn't have to sit through a rehash of Jasons orgin and mayby get something new. I've always liked when the kids from part 2 and the Jason hunter in part 4 would read the news articles about CCL and Jason.

I actually think found footage would be a great way to market the next F13 movie. Maybe even do a scy/fy show about it.

That camp fire scene in Part 2 is brilliant, a great way to establish Jason. Infact my favourite opening to any Friday film is the one in Part IV where it shows Paul talking about Jason and then we see clips from the 3 previous films.

Friday the 13th deserves a little more respect than to be given a found footage movie.

Jason deserves to come back full machete swing ahead not with a found footage crapfest, that's one of the worst ideas in horror history, IMO found footage is not stimulating horror.

Didn't Romero do found footage for one of his Zombie movies?

I know someone did with the Living Dead title but I can't remember if Romero was involved or not. In any case it was low budget to begin with and not up to Romero's old stuff.

Ya Diary of the Dead and it's one of Romero's worst films he's ever made

I actually liked Land of the Dead but didn't bother to watch that one. Wasn't there another one after that?

I got a bad feeling the found footage thing either happens or we don't get a new Friday the 13th, which would suck.

There are also two imitation Zombie Diary movies to further confuse things.

They were box office hits have you even bothered to check the numbers?

Its WBs who has held those projects back cause as usual WBs have so many films on their slate and only release so many a year. Why do u think the F13th rights have reverted back to Paramount?!

Seriously do some research and bother to read what I said about Friday's numbers.

I've seen the numbers. I can accept that they both made money...so from the standard of them being PROFITABLE...okay...yeah. But these studios think in terms of money. We are seeing them rush out sequels to Horror films on a yearly basis with no regard to the overcrowded market...and SOMETHING kept them from wanting to make more slasher films. It will always come down to money for them. If they thought the money would come, we'd have more movement on these projects.

I'll add that...yeah, Friday had rights issues that were just recently cleared up, which likely stalled that.

Can we never mention Diary of the Dead again? Horrible movie. Refuse to even watch Survival of the Dead because of it. As far as I'm concerned, the story ended with Land.

Can we never mention Diary of the Dead again? Horrible movie. Refuse to even watch Survival of the Dead because of it. As far as I'm concerned, the story ended with Land.

Same here.

I found Land to be enjoyable but not up to par with his first three zombie films.

I just watched Carpenter's Prince of Darkness last night(haven't seen it since I was real young)and really liked it. When I was younger I found the movie to be boring for some reason, but now that I'm older I found the pacing to be pretty good. I love how a lot of Carpenter's films are finally coming out on Blu-ray. Body Bags and In the Mouth of Madness are going to be out in the next few months.

I actually liked Land of the Dead but didn't bother to watch that one. Wasn't there another one after that?

I got a bad feeling the found footage thing either happens or we don't get a new Friday the 13th, which would suck.

Diary is bad found footage, and I was initially really disappointed, but I've found its good to watch with a group.

And yeah there was Survival of the Dead. Which is bad very bad. Romero made it because he's bad at reading fine print. The company that flipped the bill on Diary had a clause that they could release movies under his name like "Romero Presents" or whatever regardless of his involvement so he cranked out Survival.

I actually have really high hopes for the project "The Zombie Autopsies." That's based on a book, written with the author's involvement. I've heard good things about the book and they recently reported that the script was finished.

Also, the story ends with Land regardless, Diary was a reboot of sorts.

Off topic, but my favorite Jason look was from Part 7. I loved that they actually accounted for all of the damage that had been done to him. Then, in Part 8, he looked beyond lame again.

Kane Hodder's look as Jason in TNB is above and beyond the best look Jason's ever had IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"