The Horror Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not catch the first Silent Hill film, but immensely enjoyed the second one. My only complaint was that they could have added a half hour to the film to expand on some of the plots or add the necessary shading to them; the film felt rushed at times.

I'm a HUGE Silent Hill fan. It's what got me into Jacob's Ladder.

But those films, particularly Revelation. ...were just....I can't even describe my disdain for them!

The first one was good.

And if you'd actually seen it, you would understand my complete and utter smack so hard facepalm at the sequel.

Now if the games themselves were movies, we would surely have a dedicated thread for them here. Because nearly all those games contain some of the best horror stories, set pieces,, music scores, symbolic structuring, creature design, and just general mind****s of all time :)

I've never played the games, but I liked both Silent Hill films about equally.

The sequel butchered the first. Bassett, the director, stated it would be a sequel to the original first, and an adaptation of the 3rd game second. He did the opposite, and it butchered things.

It was also contrived, confusing, and pretty much pointless.

Last edited:
I still haven't seen the sequel. I liked the first however.

I'm a HUGE Silent Hill fan. It's what got me into Jacob's Ladder.

Jacob's Ladder influenced many films, but was itself influenced I believe by An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.

And it really, really freaked me out as a kid.

It was also inspired by Carnival of Souls. I watched that the other week on YouTube, and that was pretty freaky!

Not so much horror as psychological but I've always thought Stir of Echoes is underrated. It has the misfortune of coming out so soon after The Sixth Sense.

Without yes.

I'm going to bin this phone I swear lol

tumblr_m397o1fMgJ1qg39ewo1_500.gif

My heart just leapt out my mouth there :D

That's what inspired the straight jacket monsters in Silent Hill. How they rapidly twitch.

The sequel butchered the first. Bassett, the director, stated it would be a sequel to the original first, and an adaptation of the 3rd game second. He did the opposite, and it butchered things.

It was also contrived, confusing, and pretty much pointless.

The only even semi interesting scenes in the second silent hill movie are reused scenes from the first film.

:funny: so true!

I just honestly detest it.

And IF a sequel gets made, I hope it's based on Silent Hill 4. Not the greatest game in the series of course, but it was probably imo, the scariest.

So, a successful year for horror films last year, so far 3 films, MaMa, Evil Dead and The Purge have all had bigger openings than last years biggest horror opener, Paranormal Activity 4. Mama and Evil Dead both grossed pretty well and The Purge has already made more than 10 times its budget.

We can discuss the relative quality of those films, but I think they were all at least okay. Mama and Evil Dead both have their moments to be sure, The Purge does as well but I think its kind of a mess of a film ultimately.

I have very high hopes for both of James Wan's horror films this year, The Conjuring (whose first trailer almost works as an effective horror short just on its own) and Insidious Chapter 2.

I will certainly give Carrie a chance. I didn't really see a point in remaking it but what I've seen so far has looked okay and I am excited for the main cast and the director. Its also good to see the film attempting to take on the full extent of the ending of the book. The original film is almost perfect in adapting everything leading up to the prom but cuts out most of the ending. We'll see how well the new film expands and updates the material.

Insidious 2 will make a fortune, I think You're Next will make quite a bit too.

Paranormal Activity can expect a continued drop off, it's the SAW of ghost movies...a huge phenomenon that started to lose steam popularity-wise after the third installment.

Ah! I forgot about You're Next. Thank you for reminding me.

Is there even a new Paranormal Activity this year?

Also, with the Purge making bank this year, along with likely Insidious 2 combined with the past success of the first Insidious, Sinister and the entire Paranormal Activity franchise BlumHouse studios are tearing it up in the horror film arena.

I think a more faithful reboot of Resident Evil could be marketed as Biohazard since the tone of the early games contrasts pretty heavily with Anderson's movies. Just do Birkin instead of Nemesis for the sequel.

VHS 2 is coming out this year. I wasn't much for the first VHS, most of the shorts were only okay and the wrap around frame story footage was abysmal.

The new film is apparently a big step up in over all quality though, and there are some exciting people involved in the anthology, so I'll give it a shot.

Ah! I forgot about You're Next. Thank you for reminding me.

Is there even a new Paranormal Activity this year?

Yup, Oct. 25th.

I expect either this or next year be the year they have to take time off and recoup before some sort of a soft reboot like what SAW did (is still doing).

The Conjuring is going to be crazy scary. It's one of my most anticipated movies of the summer and I want to see it with a packed house!

Glad to see all the Silent Hill love in here. :hrt:
That movie is very underrated, and one of the few video game adaptations that got it right. Possibly the only one.
Entirely agreed. I know it deviated from the games a bit, but I felt it honestly kept the atmosphere and the experience the games did.
Which reminds me... Has anyone read the original 1998 script for Resident Evil... written by George A. Romero?
http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html

It's almost flawless in my opinion, and I remember Romero was set to direct too. There was some disagreement with the studio (I also recall Jennifer Love-Hewitt being cast as Jill Valentine, then replaced by Samantha Mathis, and Jason Patric was Chris Redfield). Instead, we got the Paul W.S. Anderson sci-fi/action movie, when we could've gotten a horror film by the man who did Night of the Living Dead. :csad:
His script is/was ****. It's a service we didn't get it in my honest opinion. Besides, going by Romero's resume since the time he was supposed to direct RE, we majorly lucked out.
I still can't believe the man who pretty much filled the mainstream film with the walking dead has come so low down. :csad:
It was also inspired by Carnival of Souls. I watched that the other week on YouTube, and that was pretty freaky!
It was alright, I personally wasn't a huge fan. I'm curious to the remake though I haven't heard anything good.
VHS 2 is coming out this year. I wasn't much for the first VHS, most of the shorts were only okay and the wrap around frame story footage was abysmal.

The new film is apparently a big step up in over all quality though, and there are some exciting people involved in the anthology, so I'll give it a shot.
VHS2 was soooooo much better. :up:

At this point I feel like I've seen every worthwhile horror movie ever made. It's been so long since I've been able to find another good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"