• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Hype TV Club

So we're doing Supergirl right?
Supergirl? If that’s serious I’d be up for it. Not sure where I got up to before I lost access - assuming I have access now.

Is that another one I need to add to my list? (As if i have the time)

Can’t see it on Netflix but looks like in the U.K. it’s on Sky now and I can see all the seasons. Cool. So this is for next month?
Yeah I looked it up for UK and it's Sky.

@Lily Adler was just trying to be funny y’all. We’re doing Superman and Lois.
Ah yeah, I remember we were supposed to be doing a catch up month with S&L and due to Lily’s cunning nature, :D that’s why I put “if serious” lol. I wouldn’t mind an excuse to catch up on CW shows that I never finished. Didn’t finish any of the CW verse but must have seen about 50% of it all.

Ah yeah, I remember we were supposed to be doing a catch up month with S&L and due to Lily’s cunning nature, :D that’s why I put “if serious” lol. I wouldn’t mind an excuse to catch up on CW shows that I never finished. Didn’t finish any of the CW verse but must have seen about 50% of it all.
I’m not vehemently opposed to rewatching SG one day, but the first season of that is extra ROUGH, and the only “good” season (by CW standards) it had was S4 (S3 was solid too til the end tho) which makes it hard to recommend any of it to people as they’re unlikely to make it that far lol. All the other CW DC shows peaked with their first or 2nd seasons, which makes SG kind of an outlier, peaking in the middle of its run like it did. Took a loooong time to “find itself,” that show lol.

But I still think you should at least watch those first two S2 episodes with Tyler’s Superman debut when you’re done with S&L, squeeks!!

I’m not vehemently opposed to rewatching SG one day, but the first season of that is extra ROUGH, and the only “good” season (by CW standards) it had was S4 (S3 was solid too til the end tho) which makes it hard to recommend any of it to people as they’re unlikely to make it that far lol.

But I still think you should at least watch those first two S2 episodes with Tyler’s Superman debut when you’re done with S&L, squeeks!!
Oh for some reason I thought you were a big fan of the show. Thanks for the info. It sounds like a big time commitment if it’s only going to be so-so overall.

I’m not vehemently opposed to rewatching SG one day, but the first season of that is extra ROUGH, and the only “good” season (by CW standards) it had was S4 (S3 was solid too til the end tho) which makes it hard to recommend any of it to people as they’re unlikely to make it that far lol. All the other CW DC shows peaked with their first or 2nd seasons, which makes SG kind of an outlier, peaking in the middle of its run like it did. Took a loooong time to “find itself,” that show lol.

I'll try to squeeze it in somehow. It might be hard if the first two seasons are weak like you said.

Oh for some reason I thought you were a big fan of the show. Thanks for the info. It sounds like a big time commitment if it’s only going to be so-so overall.
I’m a big fan of the characters. Both in the comics AND their screen incarnations, for the most part. I think Melissa was one of the best CW leads easily. I think it had one of the better cast of characters of all the CW shows, which carried me through to the end. The show was similar to The Flash for me in that it was one of the more enjoyable CW shows for not taking itself too seriously and embracing the whimsy. They just peaked at different points in their runs. The Flash had a good first season and gradually fell off; SG started really rough and steadily improved til S5. So in that sense, I prefer the latter. It was nice seeing one of these shows NOT just get worse with each passing day lol. But at the end of the day, it was still a CW Arrowverse show, which meant it was 80% cheese and iffy writing, with some inspired/wonderfully geek-friendly moments sprinkled in.

The only DC show on that network I genuinely consider good enough to recommend to people is S&L. But if they have a high tolerance for cheese and the usual CW trappings, sure, I’d say give SG a whirl. The characters are very likable imo.

Wow, 5 seasons is hard for me. I'm still wading through season 3 of Better call Saul (it's been dragging) and season 3 of Longmire (good, but with each episode solving its own crime I'm easily pulled away). I've been trying to avoid jumping into something crazy long.

@Lily Adler was just trying to be funny y’all. We’re doing Superman and Lois.
why-not-both-animated-gif-7.gif

Supergirl-Melissa-Benoist-Superman-Tyler-Hoechlin-The-CW.jpg

I still watch other things even as I try to make through the monthly pick. If anything it gives me a headstart if it's something long, lol.

I’m a big fan of the characters. Both in the comics AND their screen incarnations, for the most part. I think Melissa was one of the best CW leads easily. I think it had one of the better cast of characters of all the CW shows, which carried me through to the end. The show was similar to The Flash for me in that it was one of the more enjoyable CW shows for not taking itself too seriously and embracing the whimsy. They just peaked at different points in their runs. The Flash had a good first season and gradually fell off; SG started really rough and steadily improved til S5. So in that sense, I prefer the latter. It was nice seeing one of these shows NOT just get worse with each passing day lol. But at the end of the day, it was still a CW Arrowverse show, which meant it was 80% cheese and iffy writing, with some inspired/wonderfully geek-friendly moments sprinkled in.

The only DC show on that network I genuinely consider good enough to recommend to people is S&L. But if they have a high tolerance for cheese and the usual CW trappings, sure, I’d say give SG a whirl. The characters are very likable imo.
That makes sense then. I love the comics character so it’s something I would love to get through. There are quite a few finished shows like that which I would love to catch up on but it’s quite difficult as I didn’t watch any TV for quite a few years - had officially given up on it until shows suddenly started getting much better. So I’m massively behind and never finished any of the CW or The Walking Dead and those kinds of shows that were building up during my drought and I started too late when I did start. And then streaming was invented and even when I binged like crazy I would still fall further behind overall. :D

If the TV Club ever does a revisit of one of those shows I’d be up for it though as it might give me the drive to power though.

That makes sense then. I love the comics character so it’s something I would love to get through. There are quite a few finished shows like that which I would love to catch up on but it’s quite difficult as I didn’t watch any TV for quite a few years - had officially given up on it until shows suddenly started getting much better. So I’m massively behind and never finished any of the CW or The Walking Dead and those kinds of shows that were building up during my drought and I started too late when I did start. And then streaming was invented and even when I binged like crazy I would still fall further behind overall. :D

If the TV Club ever does a revisit of one of those shows I’d be up for it though as it might give me the drive to power though.
I didn't finish The Walking Dead, I quit before the last two seasons because the level of human on human cruelty was just getting out of control. :( The first 5 or so seasons were pretty good, though.

I grew to absolutely HATE The Walking Dead, so that’s one I’d definitely be skipping if we ever did that for the club lol.

I grew to absolutely HATE The Walking Dead, so that’s one I’d definitely be skipping if we ever did that for the club lol.
I don't know if I have the heart to watch it through right now. It's so long and I've got a long list of other things I'd like to get to.

They ran that show to the ground after season 3. Who knew AMC would be so cheap when they started cutting their budgets as it was getting incredibly popular. Also even in the comics it got incredibly dumb.

They ran that show to the ground after season 3. Who knew AMC would be so cheap when they started cutting their budgets as it was getting incredibly popular. Also even in the comics it got incredibly dumb.
I never got past the prison in the comics, that was enough for me. The show was actually better...at least for a while.

I say this as a big zombie fan... I lasted until the first half of season 8 and then tapped out. With the comics, I only read up to the first Alexandria arch and didn't care to read further.

It was a good fandom to be in while it lasted but man, they clearly didn't know the endgame of their story. It was like Lost all over again only way worse.

Sometime when TWD was already losing its lustre for me, I read an article that mentioned what Kirkman’s original pitch was - “I want to make a zombie apocalypse movie that never ends.” I was like damn, if I’d heard that before, I wouldn’t have even bothered. :funny: I’ve got no use for stories with no planned endings anymore.

It's funny, the first Last of Us game came out right around the same time when The Walking Dead show started to fall apart and become repetitive.

I love the Last of Us show for what it achieved but the game is kinda on another level, even more so with the 2nd game. I'm more curious what they'll choose to adapt or expand on in the show for season 2 and 3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"