World the ideal Superman suit

the title of this thread seems very subjectiv to me ; so subjectively I would say my ideal Superman suit would be something like the A.Ross Superman's uniform (without being an absolut fan of Ross), BUT with a shorter cape (but longer than C.Reeve), a smaller shield without being as small as the Singer's one.
Well for the colors, I'd go with something a little darker than the uniform of C.Reeve.In fact the colors are no so important to me ; what I'm not into is a LIGHT blue with a DARK red (Singer's) or DARK blue with LIGHT red. Just equal colors (~Alex ross).

Here is my suit redesign...

And my emblem redesign too..

This would be MY "ideal Superman suit":

Superman_Prequel_comic.jpg

im with Kane on the suit thing, the Superman returns suit is far more modern and slick looking. although i still like some of the other suits just not as much

rohitiyer said:

I like this. Why can't more artists draw Superman without showing every little nook and cranny between his overexaggerated muscles?

rohitiyer said:

I agree, this is always the best way to go IMHO. Very symbolic and such. Very nice. :D:up:

Lead Cenobite said:
I like this. Why can't more artists draw Superman without showing every little nook and cranny between his overexaggerated muscles?

Because Hughes knows that sometimes 'less is more' and has a massive amount of talent. He doesnt need to over-compensate his stuff with millions of over-elaborate scratchings. Just uses retaint and lovely, flowing lines.

:up: :up: :up:

javi1024 said:
this is the alex ross drawing of tom welling as superman (who i wanted for the movie). i used colors i wanted singer's superman to look like- only a smaller S. not as bright as Reeves's costume, but bright enough for him to stand out and look like a hero.
welling-superman.jpg

Me likes. :up:

since I've moved, I've had a long time to think about this...

I will always support the classic suit, but If I were to wear a suit, it wouldn't be the classic... something sleek. all these designs are based on my original design about a year ago.

all these were done with the help of other artists. I still cant draw for crap.

welling-superman.jpg

>ugn< - I cant stand the way Ross insists on giving Supes an 'S' emblem that looks more like a kite!

Talent wise, Ross is awesome. Stylistically, he makes some weird choices. Barrel chests, massive underpants.

It's like the guys from the 1950's or something.

Personally, I think Adam Hughes got all the design aspects (and the measurements) of the costume spot-on. :up:

that's one of the personal drawbacks that I have with the suit interpretation by Ross. The symbol is so big, it takes away from the person, and literally makes the symbol look like a merchandise icon

edit:
Adam Hughes... could you post an example by any chance?

Sure - this is by Adam Hughes - argueably one of the finest comic book artists...........ever. imo

oh that's Adam Hughes?... oh cool.

It looks great and all, but my only dislike about it is the body... it just looks... so... flat.

kakarot069 said:
oh that's Adam Hughes?... oh cool.

It looks great and all, but my only dislike about it is the body... it just looks... so... flat.

Hughes is known for his realism (if there is such a thing in a comicbook? :) )

I like the fact that he hasnt illustrated Supes with huge muscles, stirations and veins all over his body.

As weve seen with live-action Superman films, material tends to make the body (how ever buff) look just like how Hughes has drawn it.

Check out his Wonder Woman stuff.

Hubba Hubba!!!

:up:

rohitiyer said:

Yep, that sure is a nice one. Nice colours too. I think if any colour is going to be dominant it should be the red, like this - Returns gets it completely backwards.

I love the colour scheme of the TAS suit too, and the Fleischer suit, especially the "Fleischer blue" (and the red is handled better than the SR suit too - despite what people say the Returns colour scheme is quite, quite different from the Fleischer scheme). The Kingdom Come colour scheme is almost the same as the Fleischer one, except there's no dark red).

Proportions wise, this Hughes design is great, though the boots are a *tad* too short - the boot-line should circle the thickest part of the calves, IMO. On the other hand, Christopher Reeve's boots were far too high.

Stuart Immonen's Secret Identity version is pretty much proportionally perfect - it has a close neckline like many comic versions do, so that could have worked for a movie suit if they didn't want the low neckline (I agree - too wide a neckline looks crappy - the Hughes design is about the limit).

Seriously - take this, give it STAS colours or Kingdom Come colours, make it out of the same materials as the Returns suit except the cape (ditch the latex and replace with nice cloth), lengthen the cape a bit and that's the perfect suit. It's a pity there aren't any good pics of it online that don't obscure the chest.

1.jpg
supersi3.jpg

I also like Frank Quitely's version in All Star Supes, thoughthe boots are a bit off and the cape's too short. But I love what he does with the cape/collar.

SUPERBENITEZ said:
welling-superman.jpg

>ugn< - I cant stand the way Ross insists on giving Supes an 'S' emblem that looks more like a kite!

Not only is the S too big, but the red border is proportionally way too thin. I've never seen anyone else point that out but it really bothers me.

ReeveManip.jpg

A manip I did a while ago as my most ideal Superman suit (and build)

you know... for a really long time, I really liked that design.

Any body got a scan of Superman's costume OYL and the influences that SR had on it's design? It's in issue #652.

lujho said:
Not only is the S too big, but the red border is proportionally way too thin. I've never seen anyone else point that out but it really bothers me.

The border of the emblem does not really bother me. If anything would be annoying if it were too thick.

Mik El said:
Here is my suit redesign...

And my emblem redesign too..

Damn, he looks kinda cool with gloves. I'm not sure why he'd need them though... Hell of a redesign though.

This would be my ideal / perfect Superman Sui. This was made by Bunk2 on deviantART.
Superman_Reboot_Suit_by_Bunk2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"