"The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this and laughed. I don't understand why it's necessary.

It's Deadline - the credibility is there at face-value.

Something like this tells you exactly how things are going with The Batman... and where things stand internally for one Oscar-winning Mr. Leto as the Clown Prince of Crime.

A Joker origin film set in 80s Gotham City with a new actor produced by Scorsese... I need to see this just so I can tell my children I was there when it happened.

This will be the first film under a new banner that has yet to be named in which WB can expand the canon of DC properties and create unique storylines with different actors playing the iconic characters.

This is the interesting part. I wonder if that means we'll be getting that Superman: Red Son movie.

Holy s**t.

Would it tie in with Flashpoint?

This is the interesting part. I wonder if that means we'll be getting that Superman: Red Son movie.

I hope it pans out. Cinematic universes are hip right now but I welcome room for any good story that can be told.

Can't say I saw that coming.

Is this their way of getting a new Batman? Sure seems like it.

*COUGH COUGH* Jarred Hess Nicktoons movie that was a fabricated announcement by Hess himself *COUGH COUGH*

A bunch of trustworthy reporters are going along with it, so there's at least something there.

Martin Scorsese will do like Mel Gibson and press the seat ejector button.

Scorsese or otherwise....do we need a Joker film of all things? Isn't part of the guy's mystique that he has no definitive backstory?

Well, at least there's no indication in what universe this would take place.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joker-movie-works-hangover-filmmaker-1031828

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/joker-origin-film-todd-phillips-1202536083/

Borys Kit, Rebecca Ford & Justin Kroll are running the story on THR & Variety. They're legit. This is happening.

More insight from Borys Kit:

More on JOKER: Sounds like the Marty Scorsese part is early and fluid. But the bigger story here is the still-developing DC label.

The new label would allow for the making of all kinds of DC movies of different budgets and potentially time periods unconnected to the main line of DC movies.

The new label would give Warners leeway to make more DC-oriented projects, unconstrained by continuity.

One report stated that filmmaker Martin Scorsese was producing the project but sources tell THR that his involvement is far from assured.

About the new banner, as described to me this new banner allows for Warner to take characters from DC properties to spin-off into features

This presents an interesting conundrum; in the best case scenario of this new Joker being a massive hit with audiences, they've prohibited this new iteration from crossing over into their mainline Batman series. It can only ever exist as its own thing. Barring any massive retcons. Maybe this is where Flashpoint comes into play?

Wow. With Marty Scorsese involved , its hard for me to be against the project, and the idea of Leto not being Joker is an added bonus.

I've suspected for a while now that Reeves's The Batman would likely be a reboot with a new, younger Bruce Wayne, and outside of the DCEU continuity, and news of this film is potentially a bell weather to where WB could be headed with The Batman.

Leo DiCaprio as Joker?...

Wow. With Marty Scorsese involved , its hard for me to be against the project, and the idea of Leto not being Joker is an added bonus.

I've suspected for a while now that Reeves's The Batman would likely be a reboot with a new, younger Bruce Wayne, and outside of the DCEU continuity, and news of this film is potentially a bell weather to where WB could be headed with The Batman.

Leo DiCaprio as Joker?...

Scorsese did say he needs DiCaprio to even get a project off the ground :funny:

I'm... intrigued. That's all I can say for now.

Not really sure if a Joker film would be needed as he works best as a mysterious character.

However, if they are stubborn, it would be interesting if he told multiple stories about his life and we're not sure what's a lie or the truth.

This was pretty much my reaction. Nothing about this seems like a good idea.
Gun to the head, you wouldn't take a rebooted Joker over a continuation of Ayer/Leto's?

Gun to the head, you wouldn't take a rebooted Joker over a continuation of Ayer/Leto's?

He wouldn't have to choose, because Leto is still set to come back a bunch of times. It's a fun situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"