The Joker Reviews The Batman, Episode By Episode

Joker

Avenger
Reaction score
So something occured to me the other day. I've never actually seen this show. Sure, I've seen the character models, read plot synopsis and reviews, but I've never actually seen even part of an episode. And I thought, "eveyrone on the The Batman forums is right, I shouldn't be talking s**t about this show without having ever seen it." So I had an extra $10, so I bought the first season on DVD. I will try to go into these with an open mind, and will then post my reviews of each episode in this thread. That way even if I still feel it's a bad show, at least I have based my opinions on something...Well, let's begin...

Episode 1- The Bat In The Belfrey

This episode started out much better than I was expecting. The entire teaser before the opening credits of Batman taking out Thorne was great, although I am upset they changed Rupert Thorne into an average, greasy itallian mafia stereotype. But the atmosphere was good, and although I still don't like the character models at all, the animation itself was smooth and looked good. The opening titles actually surprised me too, being very well done.

Then we get to the actual episode. Alfred is done very well, although I think throwing a party for Bruce being Batman for 3 years was sort of a stupid idea. And Bruce is an idiot too, having done this for 3 years and still apparently not getting the whole "I have to be Bruce Wayne so people dont expect anything" th ing down yet. Also, the 2 detectives are huge cliches. "I like The Batman" and "I don't like The Batman" and the angry chief. It's the same mismatched cop duo from every tv show and movie EVER.

Now, lets move onto the villain of the piece, The Joker. I'm only going to mention once here how stupid his outfit and haircut are. He doesnt have any shoes, and he looks like a ******ed monkey with dredlocks. Just awful. Moving on, his voice is also terrible. I always imagined the Joker with a higher pitched, fast talking voice. Not some guy trying to be scary. The entire breaking into Arkham thing was stupid too. I know it's meant to show that Joker is crazy, but it comes off making him seem just not very bright. The poisoning the city part was done all right though. I think it's pretty hillarious that Batman risked poisoning the entire city water supply though, he had no idea if that gas was only airborne or not, and he just released it right into the river. World's Greatest Detective right there.

In summary, the plot was weak, the character models were all awful, the villain was non-threatening, the characters were mostly cardboard cut outs of characters we've seen a million times before, and the voice acting was sub-par. The animation was good though. I give this episode 1 out of 4 stars.

Episode 2- Traction

Ah, the debut of Bane. First off let me say, I really like his design when he's not venomed up. Very creepy. Although when he turns into the Hulk, but red and wearing bondage gear, he looks awful. They seem to have gotten his personality pretty much right, wanting to break Batman and take over Gotham. But, it's way too early in Batmans career for this to be going on. He hasnt really established himself as THE guy in Gotham yet, so I doubt Bane would believe he was. Oh, and Banes voice was pretty good too.

The entire Bat-Bot thing was stupid. If you have a giant robot that's nearly indestructable except to the Hulk, why would you not always use it? I also didn't like the design of it. I say instead of using a giant robot, they should have made it just be an armored suit, remmeniscent of Azraels Batman costume, seeing as this would appear to be The Batman's version of Knightfall, and the Az-Bats design was always great. I would also like to know how Bruce Wayne even thought of making a giant robot. Was he sitting around one day reading Iron Man and going, "Man, I wish I was Tony Stark...I guess I'll steal a bunch of tech from my company and do it, cause Iron Man is soooo dreamy."

The Yin/Bennet stuff was awful. Still cliche characters. My favorite part was when Bennet say Bat-Bot fighting Bane and cancled back up, even though at that point of the fight Bat-Bot only had one arm and was being cut to ribbons by Bane....Bennet is a god damn idiot. Oh, and Yin is a b**ch.

Overall, not as bad as The Bat In The Belfry, but still not very damn good. 1 and a half out of 2 stars.

Episode 3- Call Of The Cobblepot

Before I get into the actual episode here, I'd like to talk a moment about the titles. I really hate these smart ass titles that are trying to be clever but are just really stupid. It seems to me like they're taking too much time coming up with some trying to be clever title and then just writing the episode in the 10 minutes they have left before they have to go into production. Seinfeld and Smallville have it right, just simple one word titles, so you can worry about the quality of the actual episode, and not what it's called. Anyway...

The Penguin debuted here, and he was worse than Joker and Bane. Seriously, I didn't think a villain could get worse than Joker in this, but I was wrong. The Ozzmeister for gods sake? Ozzy? And the entire sub-plot with Alfreds grandfather working for them was pretty bad too. The trained birds thing is a old hat trick of Penguins, so there's nothing really wrong with it. Oh, and of course, the character design for him is awful. His top hat is bigger than his torso...

We have another "why doesnt he always use that?" moment in this episode with the bat glider. If he has a device that allows him to fly, why would Batman not always strap it on and fly around. He could get away much quicker when the police are coming, and it's alot less inconspicuos than his giant black car.

Speaking of the police, we get more of Yin hating Batman for no reason, and more of Bennet liking Batman for no reason. Although my favorite part was when Bennet and Bruce were playing basketball and to show that Bennet is indeed black they had him trash talking Bruce and reffering to him as "dawg."

All in all, worse than "The Bat In The Belfry" (another smart ass trying to be clever title). 1/2 out of 4 stars.

Already been done by better reviewers than you. Not to mention the fact that you've already posted your uninformed opinions on the show several times - so why should we care now that you've purchased a DVD and watched a few shows?

Fact is, we don't.

Because, you people who liked the show have actually influenced me to buy it and give me a shot. As you said, my opinions were uninformed, and I'm trying to correct that. And regardless of my feelings on the show, I have now contributed to it, so you can always be happy of that. It's actually much better than I ever thought it would be. All it needs is some better writers and character models...and voice actors....Well, the animation is good I guess, and so are the backgrounds. And the theme song and score...If this was an audio show, it might not suck...

I'm glad you actually took the time to buy the DvDs and give the show a shot. Fact is, you're probably not going to like most of the episodes you watch, but that's the same thing with people that like the show. I look forward to seeing more of your reviews. I hope by the end you realize the show isn't all that bad. If not, then at least U gave it a shot. =0)

I'm getting a kick out of your reviews, keep em coming.

I just finished The Batman vs Dracula, but I don't feel like writing a whole review, so I'll just say a few things. First off, they ripped of Dracula calling himself Alucard from the anime Hellsing, and it wasn't even clever then. Also, why DR. Alucard? What the hell is Dracula a Dr. of, and why would he claim to be one? Maybe he's like, a gynocologist, cause he was getting all over Viki Vales kool aid :o...I have to say, I did like Penguin as Renfield, but it would have been pretty cool to see him like, eating bugs and such. And The Joker redesign is MUCH better, although I could still live with the dreads being lost, and some god damn shoes being added. Maybe have his hair the same length but slicked back into a nice pony tale like he had in the comics during Knightquest. Also, the scenes with him as a vampire and Batman holding him and doing tests on him was pretty cool. Other than that though I have the same complaints about this as I do most episodes of the show. Bad character models, sub-par voice acting, and dumb, kiddy plots. This one was slightly more mature, but still suffered alot. The old Batman: TAS proved you could have stories that kids liked, and adults could still get into as well because they were well written, this show hasnt seemed to get that yet. Hopefully with Bruce Timm doing the Harley Quinn episode this coming season they'll realize that.

Nice reviews.
Very enjoyable.

The Joker said:
I just finished The Batman vs Dracula, but I don't feel like writing a whole review, so I'll just say a few things. First off, they ripped of Dracula calling himself Alucard from the anime Hellsing, and it wasn't even clever then. Also, why DR. Alucard? What the hell is Dracula a Dr. of, and why would he claim to be one? Maybe he's like, a gynocologist, cause he was getting all over Viki Vales kool aid :o...I have to say, I did like Penguin as Renfield, but it would have been pretty cool to see him like, eating bugs and such. And The Joker redesign is MUCH better, although I could still live with the dreads being lost, and some god damn shoes being added. Maybe have his hair the same length but slicked back into a nice pony tale like he had in the comics during Knightquest. Also, the scenes with him as a vampire and Batman holding him and doing tests on him was pretty cool. Other than that though I have the same complaints about this as I do most episodes of the show. Bad character models, sub-par voice acting, and dumb, kiddy plots. This one was slightly more mature, but still suffered alot. The old Batman: TAS proved you could have stories that kids liked, and adults could still get into as well because they were well written, this show hasnt seemed to get that yet. Hopefully with Bruce Timm doing the Harley Quinn episode this coming season they'll realize that.

First of all, Paul Dini is doing the Harley Quinn episode. Second, the Batman vs. Dracula kicked ass, unlike the show.

good reviews man...but in fact i like the show..thank you very much...

hippie_hunter said:
First of all, Paul Dini is doing the Harley Quinn episode. Second, the Batman vs. Dracula kicked ass, unlike the show.

Dini, Timm...same thing :o

I want more plot summieries by you Joker. Even though I do not agree a 100% I still enjoy reading others views of the show.

The Joker said:
Dini, Timm...same thing :o
Not really. Dini pretty much lost all his skills years ago and Timm still kicks all kinds of ass.

I've just gotten to the Scarface episode...at least they havent made scarface much more horrible than he already is...although having him be essetially Al Pacino was stupid, and the whole Wesker wanting to be a farmer thing was just weird...

The Joker said:
I've just gotten to the Scarface episode...at least they havent made scarface much more horrible than he already is...although having him be essetially Al Pacino was stupid, and the whole Wesker wanting to be a farmer thing was just weird...

He wanted to be a cowboy in Montana dammit, get it right. In Montana :mad:

haha a cowboy in Montana, wtf

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"