The Killzone Franchise Thread

Really excited for this game...however, I'm a little worried it’s taking a similar approach as Resistance 2. I hate how everyone is complaining about the color palette. Resistance: Fall of Man was mainly grays and browns but it fit the atmosphere of the game! Everyone said "We want more color in the franchise." Insomniac Games listened and ended up implementing a wider color palette in Resistance 2.

How did that turn out? Not well received. Everyone complained saying that the grittiness of the atmosphere was lacking and that they should have stayed with a grey/brown color palette.

I'm afraid Guerilla will be making the same mistake. I'm happy though to hear that we will be getting jungle levels and snow levels. It will definitely be intriguing to see how they manage to pull those off. I just hope the story is better this time around. They already have the graphics, game play, sound, level design, etc. All they need is a cohesive narration that really immerses players. They also need to work on their character development.

I'm happy to hear that Santa Monica and Naughty Dog have inspired Guerilla to push the PS3 even farther then what they already have achieved. I'm looking forward to Killzone 3 and really hope it’s the best installment for the franchise. They have a few obstacles to over come but I'm pretty sure they will be able to pull it off.

I can't wait to see what the graphics look like in a couple months when they received the final level of polish! I hope it sets a new bench mark.

Killzone 3 Announced and Playable in 3D

Well, the title pretty much says it all, doesn’t it?
Our friends in Europe (“where the history comes from”) recently held an event where journalists went hands-on with Killzone 3… in 3D. SCEE’s James Gallagher was there, and he’s got what you want to know: details.
Earlier this month I made my first trip to Amsterdam and while I didn’t get chance to visit the Van Gogh Museum, I did get a different sensory treat: I got to play Killzone 3 in 3D.
The select group of journalists invited had little idea of what to expect as they climbed the stairs to a private cinema in Amsterdam’s Melkweg, but soon Hermen Hulst, Managing Director of Guerrilla Games, took to the podium and revealed all.

Killzone 3 picks up where its predecessor left off and it’s a much grander experience in terms of scale and ambition. There will be more variety, more enemy types, massive environments and a broader vision of the planet Helghan and its many terrains. The presentation closed with a beautifully violent video montage of the Brutal Melee attacks, which are the new close range attacks.

I caught up with Hermen after his presentation to ask how community feedback has shaped Killzone 3.
“As you may know, we are always in close contact with the Killzone community,” he said. “The response to Killzone 2 has been fantastic but there is a general response that it had too many ‘corridors.’ We have to temper that with the knowledge that many players really enjoy that gameplay style. Our plan is to solve this dilemma with huge variation in gameplay styles.
“We had plenty of variety in Killzone 2 but much of it was introduced in the second half of the game. This time around, right from the start every new level has its own distinct feel.”

The level playable at the show was set in an arctic environment and introduced a number of new gameplay elements. One of the most eye-catching is the new jet packs: first you must fight off three Jetpack Troopers, who are quick and heavily armed. Once you defeat them, you discover a spare jetpack that you can strap yourself into. It works like an exaggerated jump, allowing you to soar high into the air and use the forward thrust twice before having to land, and opens up the possibilities for platforming and aerial combat.

“If you remember, the Jetpack Troopers were in Killzone: Liberation on PSP and we’ve always wanted to bring them back,” explained Hermen. “When you include aerial combat you obviously need plenty of space so the much bigger levels in Killzone 3 have presented us with the opportunity to include this enemy.”
The story is an important part of the Killzone experience so I asked him to set the scene. Warning: there’s a Killzone 2 spoiler in his response.
“We recognise how important the story is in Killzone games,” he replied, “and we’re making great leaps forward with character development and the quality of the dialogue and the writing. We’re going all-out to make Killzone 3 a rounded experience on all fronts.
“So with Visari gone, there’s a power vacuum on Helghan where figures like Stahl, the head of the Helghan weapon producer, are vying for power. Essentially, the surviving ISA soldiers are caught in the middle of a catfight when what they really need is to get the hell off the planet and return to Vekta.
“On the ground, this political situation changes the nature of the conflict. The Helghan are now in the ascendency and they are bringing a great deal of new technology to the fray. The result for the player is that you’ll be encountering new weapons and enemy types with their own distinct behaviour.”
Finally, I was told beforehand that we wouldn’t be mentioning multiplayer at this particular event but I knew you wouldn’t forgive me if I didn’t at least broach it, so I asked how much of the team’s energy is going into this component.
“We always refer to multiplayer as ‘the other half of the game’,” he said, “meaning that it’s just as important to us as single player. It’s an area on which we have key individuals working and I can promise true innovation. Right now we’re looking through all of the feedback we received on Killzone 2, particularly around accessibility.”
I came away with so many thoughts and impressions from the event that I feel like I could write a short novel. Head to over to eu.playstation.com to read an impressions piece that I wrote, which goes into more detail on the incredible stereoscopic 3D. Feel free to ask questions in the comments; I have more info and quotes from Hermen that I can drop in there where relevant.
Thanks, James. As you (and I) salivate over these impressions from Europe, know that we’ll have our own take on things coming very soon.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/05/24/killzone-3-announced-and-playable-in-3d/

I know what you mean about R2, even though I loved it more than the first... I thought it was beautiful.

I know what you mean about R2, even though I loved it more than the first... I thought it was beautiful.

I too preferred R2 over the original, but I also prefer the killzone series over the resistance one (I actually loved the first killzone, technical issues and all) and am very hyped for killzone 3, sounds like it's gonna be a great game, I hope there aren't any multiplayer trophies tho, that's what kept me from getting the platinum with k2, well that and beating the last level on elite difficulty, grrrr

*Sorry for getting off topic*

I'm personally torn between the two. As many know, I'm a HUGE fan of Resistance. So huge that Insomniac has given me the title of their #1 Resistance fan. :O

I loved R2 the first time I played it; I thought it was a huge improvement over the first. Then, over time, I began noticing things. It wasn't Resistance at all...if anything it was a downgrade from the original. The story wasn't all that original anymore, the atmosphere and sense of despair felt in R: FOM was taken away, the color palette didn't work, and the Chimera weren't an enemy I feared. Hero moments were taken out, the weapons this time around were generic/uninspiring, and a lot of other things.

Most of this was brought on by the Resistance community, not Insomniac Games. Many complained that they wanted Resistance to take a similar approach to the FPS genre as Call of Duty 4. :doh: Insomniac Games listened to their fans and implemented an interesting take on CoD's mechanics. However, in the private beta, they were executed brilliantly! It was a game far more superior then that of R:FOM. But, once again, the community had to bark in and say "Change it." and IG had to overhaul their original concept in a matter of months to make the release. This is where R2 went wrong...

I'm hoping Killzone 3 does not make that same fatal mistake. While fans can have an appreciation for a creation more so then the creators themselves, they do not always know what is best for the franchise. It sounds like GG is really working hard to please fans while trying to keep everything how they see fit, which in my opinion, is admirable.

I'm really happy to hear that they are going to focus more on the story/character development. In my opinion, that is all Killzone really needs. A better story and better characters. Everything else is a 10/10 in my book. I'm anxious to see where they take the story. From what Herman stated, as far as story goes, I'm nothing short of floored! This sounds like KZ3 will be the most explosive chapter yet in the mythos of Killzone and I am elated to see what they present at E3.

i think Resistance 2 looked bette then R FOM and i really don't care about the graphics for KZ3 because they still look pretty awesome.

i think Resistance 2 looked bette then R FOM and i really don't care about the graphics for KZ3 because they still look pretty awesome.

I would agree that, from a tech stand point, R2 was the better game. However, it still had faults that couldn't compare to the original. For instance, the human character models looked weird. Warner, Capelli, Blake all had something weird going on with their faces. The color palette was also a problem in my opinion, the only levels I felt the Resistance Noir in was San Francisco and Chicago. Those in my opinion were the two best levels in Resistance.

The water was a huge improvement over the first and the detail in Chimera character models was also a step up. However, the Chimera were smaller in the second installment which was a huge turn off. They need to be hulking creatures that bum rush you even when they are taking bullets. That was scary!

I just hope R3 brings back the originality of the story, makes us feel like we’re in the 1950’s and that the Chimera are actually an enemy we come to fear! I have high expectations for Resistance 3 and truly believe Insomniac will deliver the best experience out of all four with their third installment.

As far as my fears for the Killzone 3 graphics, I too am not that worried anymore. I mean, I still have that sense of “what if”. However, reflecting on GG’s past development with KZ2, I remember being blown away by what was shown at E3 2007. Then when the title got closer to launch, it received even more polish to it that made it look even more incredible!

Hypothetically speaking, if Sony is hoping to use KZ3 to contend with Halo: Reach, what would all of your reactions be if they announced KZ3 shipping later this year at E3?

I would be surprised and happy but i would also be worried because i think that they are just rushing it just to contend with Halo. and the game may have lots of bugs when it releases. They shouldn't rush this game

Good, got it's own thread. It was already said in the Killzone 2 thread that Naughty Dog is helping, snow will build on a gun and melt when shot, and the graphics are supposed to be better. Add "fully" destructible environments on top of all of that.

http://playstationinformer.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/killzone-3-environment-completely-destructible/

Killzone 2 which just had destructible environments, the environments in Killzone 3 ?fully destructible ?are.

Killzone 3 is the fourth part in the Killzone series of Dutch developer Guerrilla Games, which earlier this year confirmed by us , and earlier this week officially confirmed by Sony.

One of the spearheads of Killzone 2, which received much praise for the graphic art piece that the game had been fully destructible environments. Eventually, the destructible environments limited to a few areas in Killzone 2, but in the upcoming Killzone 3 is really Guerilla for total destruction.

Now I doubt they mean everything is destructible. It's probably more along the line of things that make sense (walls, maybe floors/ceilings, random items). I think it's a very nice touch tho. They really are getting very ambitious with this game.

The game is looking amazing and the new gameplay elements like the CQC looks awesome, very nice stuff, it's looking good guys, it's looking good!!!:awesome::up:

I really enjoyed KZ2 for the first few hours of the game, after that you are reminded that its a fairly mediocre game that brings nothing new to the FPS genre. If they can capture that epic battle feeling the last game started out with, then i think this game will be something else. Looking forward to more info.

I can't say I'm looking forward to this. I didn't like the first game. I only played the demo of Killzone 2 and I thought it was just awful. Maybe they'll improve this one though.

I can't say I'm looking forward to this. I didn't like the first game. I only played the demo of Killzone 2 and I thought it was just awful. Maybe they'll improve this one though.
the final game was MUCH better than the demo. The demo had its issues with lag between the controller and input on the screen, which was fixxed in the final game. It was also much smaller in scope and only offered small sliver of what the game had to offer. I loved KZ2. After CoD4, I would say its my favorite FPS of this generation

I hope the third game will be more "moving" than the second one. I got bored incredibly quickly by walking to a place, helghan troopers emerge and I have to hide behind some cover and sit there and shoot for almost eternity. Then when that's done I go to next area and same thing happens again. A little bit more variety would be nice.

Here's IGN's wishlist for the game

1) Environmental Diversity
2) A Longer Single Player Campaign
3) Greater Weapon Variety
4) Four Player Co-op
5) Uncompromising 3D Implementation
6) Interesting Storyline
7) More Vehicular Gameplay
8) Refined Controls
9) Customisable Weapons
10) Less Unnecessary Cursing

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1093756p1.html

Hey guys,

If you want to get in contact with Guerrilla games, here is their official twitter account.

KillzoneDotCom.

I just sent them a message saying how excited I am to hear they're taking the time to craft a brilliant story for this installment. They're bringing in Hollywood talent for the voice acting, as well as, bringing in an outside source to craft the story. They actually took the time to check out what I had to say.

I was pretty surprised. So while I don't advise blowing them up with a ton of requests, maybe say one thing you would really like in the next installment i.e. longer story, less cursing, etc.

They will actually take the time to look over what you have to say.

If they manage to pull off everything in that wish list/what they’re promising, not to jinx it, but I think Killzone 3 might be one of the best FPS’s ever made. And while normally it would be too early to make such a call, going off everything they did so well in Killzone 2, I don’t think its that far fetched of a call.

I hope they add Co-op to this one and i definitely agree about the cursing they need to tone it down

and not make rico such an ******* this time around, u know gettin his squad mates killed and stuff, I did not like him by the end of the game, especially after the ending

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"