The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019)

I feel like Haddish was funnier in this only due to Lord and Miller's writing. The Not Evil song works partly due to her inflections when singing it.

That’s not a great opening considering there isn’t much competition out there for family entertainment.

This sounds weird but I wonder if knowing that this series takes place in the “real world” makes it now seem less fun.

That's my theory as well. Knowing that what you're watching is just a kid playing with his toys does ruin the immersion to some extent.

Or maybe it's just that people don't like Legos that much, I don't know.

I imagined the Lego characters as being in an 'alternate universe' that's (mostly) manipulated by the human characters, but are capable of doing things in their own existence like making "Everything Is Awesome"; and that they can even be aware of and self-controlling in the human universe, like when Emmet, Lucy and Rex were able to move around without being controlled by the humans.

That's my theory as well. Knowing that what you're watching is just a kid playing with his toys does ruin the immersion to some extent.

Or maybe it's just that people don't like Legos that much, I don't know.

I think it was a bunch of contributing factors. I still don't get why they did both Ninjago and LEGO Batman before this one. Made no sense to me. When they pushed this one all the way back to 2019, that sounded insane.

The message in this film feels really forced and preachy. I do think the human stuff is just too much and sort of takes you out of the immersion and imagination of the world.

Also, is the note the movie ends on really a good one? Something feels oddly wrong about it.

It reminds me of the Synthesis ending of Mass Effect 3.

Honestly the film coud have been trimmed 15-25 minutes less and still got the point across. The human stuff really brought the film to a halt and kept taking me out of the movie.

Not too mention a 5 year wait and 2 somewhat mixed spinoffs i think hurt this

I think it was a bunch of contributing factors. I still don't get why they did both Ninjago and LEGO Batman before this one. Made no sense to me. When they pushed this one all the way back to 2019, that sounded insane.

Lego Movie 2 was in development at the same time as the spin-offs but they had issues so they had to delay it whereas Lego Batman and Ninjago had easier development so greenlit before.

I think the series will go on hiatus, there's only one other Lego film in development which is Billion Brick Race and I suspect it'll be quietly dropped, Warner Animation Group's main focus for the next few years seems to be films based on WB IP or adaptations with Scooby, Space Jam 2, Tom and Jerry and Super Pets.

Saw this this afternoon, and I’m kind of mixed. I didn’t think it was a bad film, but I found it well below the original. The first is like an 8 or 9, this was probably a 6. The jokes that hit with me were great, but several didn’t do it for me much. I also have no problems with musicals, but since the first wasn’t, it felt a bit jarring having several musical numbers.
also the twist felt kind of nonsensical. Like it had its moments, but since we were mostly supposed to believe that the girl had her Lego and the boy had his, I had trouble wrapping my head around this subplot when it seemed as if it was occurring outside of both kids imaginations.

Is everything still awesome in
The Lego Movie 2 :The Second Part?

PRAISE: Enthusiastic and great voice work from the entire cast.The rapid fire pace of jokes,visuals,nods to Hollywood and specific film franchises were fun.
The work by the animators is still amazing.

PROBLEMS:Extremely predictable paths in the film add up to make the movie feel like it's going in circles at times.You would have to be a newborn not to see whats coming especially when the characters put emphasis on certain phrases and words.
This time around things felt really drawn out and i even started to nod off in the middle.
There was an almost grating feel as the film wraps up.

There is enough here to be entertaining for the most part but the freshness of the idea has worn off.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

Loved every second of this song.

Was in to see it last night great fun will admit not quite as good as the first but still great.

7.5/10

I only recently saw the 1st movie, and I saw the second one last night. Have not seen Lego Batman or Ninjango. But, I thought this was a solid sequel. 1st movie was better, but I liked this quite a bit as well. I liked the plot swerves (even if obvious) and the movie is just fun.

Oof the box office for this is horrible. It will barely make its production budget back. Looks like they waited too long for the sequel.

I only recently saw the 1st movie, and I saw the second one last night. Have not seen Lego Batman or Ninjango. But, I thought this was a solid sequel. 1st movie was better, but I liked this quite a bit as well. I liked the plot swerves (even if obvious) and the movie is just fun.

Make it a priority lol I really enjoyed Lego movie 1 & 2 but personally think the Lego Batman movie is the best of the three. Haven't seen Ninjago.

Oof the box office for this is horrible. It will barely make its production budget back. Looks like they waited too long for the sequel.
I'm not sure that would've changed anything. The spin-off centered around the most popular character of the first movie (and who also happened to be Batman) only made half of what its predecessor did. Maybe people just aren't interested in a LEGO cinematic universe.

Very much appears to be the case. I have not followed this closely, but looking at BOM, this has yet to make hald of what Lego Batman did WW, let alone the first Lego Movie. I liked this movie, so I will surely buy it. But yeah, they waited too long.

I don’t think waiting too long had anything to do with it (as we’ve seen with Pixar sequels made a decade later). More to do with the it looked more of the same. It needed a new hook to get people in.

Watched this last night (actually dozed off 15 mins before the end so I had to finish it today). This was a big downgrade from the first one. At-least it's still somewhat funny unlike Ralph Breaks the Internet. But this wasn't a slam dunk sequel.

Smallfoot (feel like I'm pimping this way too much these days but I seriously loved this movie so much) was a much, much better animated musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"