The Amazing Spider-Man The Lizard - How does he compare with Spidey's other onscreen adversaries?

I was going to say that the Lizard reminded me of the Goombas from the Super Mario Bros. movie, and thought maybe I was being too hard on the movie because of how much I loved Spidey 1 & 2, but then I found this link, so I'm definitely not alone.

http://nerdreactor.com/2011/11/30/the-lizards-concept-art-surfaces-for-the-amazing-spider-man/

That was back in November, and believe me, that concept art and any promotional art for the Lizard do him 0% justice. You won't be thinking of Goombas when you see him onscreen.

No man, I totally was thinking that the whole movie. I just googled "amazing spider-man lizard goomba" like 5 minutes ago. No joke.

Yeah but we knew for a while that wasn't going to happen.

And he would've looked silly talking with a face like that.

Are we ranking in terms of EVERYTHING or just looks.

Cause in terms of looks, i still think they did a pretty great job on Venom. Sure, maybe the story behind him and the character isn't there, but on a purely aesthetic basis, Venom looked great.
I agree! :up: A lot of people complain about his design, but I think that was the least of his problems.

If we're going to talk about comic book accuracy in terms of looks, Sandman and Lizard would be on top, and both Goblins would be at the bottom.

One thing about The Lizard and the film as a whole that i loved.

The Lizard didn't die. He was "cured" and sent to jail. I LOVE THAT. I hate that in superhero films they find the need to kill off the villain. Besides Magneto in the X-Men films and Scarecrow in Batman, rarely do you see a villain survive to the next film.

Im not saying Lizard needs to be the focus of ASM 2, but just to have him alive and possibly around for whatever reason is great.

Joker lived. But you're probably just referring to villains that can come back in the very next film.

Joker lived. But you're probably just referring to villains that can come back in the very next film.

Anno has a point. But i HOPE that Rhys makes a small return in the next film. Having Connors around to help Peter would be a great addition.

They have made it concrete that Connors and the Parkers are pretty much interlocked in ... whatever happened when Peter was little.

Plus the ending gives off the idea that while he is "cured", he still has the inner demon of the Lizard in his head. So you have the duel identity of Connors the good guy and Connors acting for The Lizard playing off.

Last edited:
So far my movie villain ranking is:

1. Doc Ock
  2. Green Goblin
  3. New Goblin
  4. Sandman
  5. Venom

I predict that The Lizard will fall right in between Green Goblin and New Goblin.

That's pretty much where the lizard stands for me. He's good, but not as good as norman or otto

Well, first off, HE LIVED! That right there is more than the other villains. Also, I really liked how even though he changed back several times, he never completely became Dr. Conners again until the antidote hit him. Hence the change in his personality and him reaching out to save Spidey. It was also good to see that the antidote wasn't a full cure and the hint tht he may become the Lizard again.

That's pretty much where the lizard stands for me. He's good, but not as good as norman or otto
I think TASM2 will be able to focus a bit more on the villain than this movie. I would imagine if they use Green Goblin again, he would fall right under Doc Ock.

1. Doc Ock
2. The Green Goblin (character, not looks)
3. The New Goblin/Green Goblin II
4. The Lizard (looked surprisingly fine, woefully underdeveloped)
5. Venom
6. Sandman

My rankings.

1. Doc Ock
2. The Green Goblin (character, not looks)
3. The New Goblin/Green Goblin II
4. The Lizard (looked surprisingly fine, woefully underdeveloped)
5. Venom
6. Sandman

My rankings.
How come you liked Venom more than Sandman? I think its a shame that there were so many deleted scenes with Flint Marko that would have made his character more developed. There was going to be one where he visits the doctor who says he needs more money to help his daughter, etc.

Doc Ock(Most emotional and iconic villain cinematically so far)
Green Goblin(S1...Dafoe knocked the role out of the park. Forget the suit, it wasn't that bad)
Harry Osborn(As a character who developed through the series, loved Franco)
Lizard
Sandman(Underdeveloped severely and ridiculous)
Venom(Liked Venom but obviously, potential wasted)

He fell in the middle for me because the actor played Connors great, but the script lacked a compelling story for Connors. And Lizard was awesome visually. Underdeveloped sadly though.

I can't believe I am about to say this, but I found The Lizard was the worst villain in any of the films so far, and that includes Sandman.

Venom at least has some menace to him and his design was nice. The Lizard and Sandman don't even have that.

Strictly on entertainment value

The Lizard
Doc Ock
GG
Sandman
NG
Venom

How come you liked Venom more than Sandman? I think its a shame that there were so many deleted scenes with Flint Marko that would have made his character more developed. There was going to be one where he visits the doctor who says he needs more money to help his daughter, etc.

Venom looked cooler and did something really evil (killed Harry) and I liked the doppleganger aspect of it. Sandman and Spidey had two really cool fight scenes in both the armored car scene and the subway/sewer scene. But, Sandman as a character was really boring to me. More development would have helped the movie, but he was boring. The only villain in that movie who was really well written is Harry and he dies a hero.

If we're talking just looks, Doc Ock, Venom, Sandman and Lizard all looked great.

I can't believe I am about to say this, but I found The Lizard was the worst villain in any of the films so far, and that includes Sandman.

Venom at least has some menace to him and his design was nice. The Lizard and Sandman don't even have that.

I'll say the "birth" scenes of Sandman and Venom were better than Lizard's (which happened off-screen?). But he was more menacing than Sandman and not as underdeveloped as Venom. As a Lizard fan, I was sad he was underdeveloped, but he didn't feel wasted like Venom or boring like Sandman.

But to each their own, I suppose.

For those who have seen the movie already and for those who will be very shortly, what did you think of Rhys Ifans as Curt Connors/The Lizard and how did he stack up compared to the other villain's we've seen Spidey go up against on film?

Up till now it's been generally accepted that Doc Ock in SM2 was the best villain we've gotten so far. From the great visuals, the nuances of Alfred Molina's performance, so forth.

Was he better than Doc Ock or your favorite Spidey villain on film? Not as good?

:liz:

The Lizard was very disappointing and he doesn't even come close to matching Alfred Molina's breakout performance as Doctor Octopus in Spider-Man 2. In fact The Lizard seemed more like a copy of Molina & Dafoe version of their respective characters.

I feel that their was to much similarities to Doc Ock and Norman Osborn from Raimi's, In his character with the duel personality of the lizard talking to Conners as the beast take over was to much like Osborn talking to The Goblin in the first movie. furthermore the absence of Martha & Billy Conners should've been addressed and would've made a much more justifiable reason behind Curt's purpose to re-grow his arm rather than just wanting to improve mankind.

Visually I would've preferred if the Lizard to keep on the white trench coat it looked way better than him without it.

villain rating
1. Doctor Octopus
2. Green Goblin
3. Venom - (Which is surprising but he was alot more menacing than Lizzy)
4. Harry Osborn
5. Sandman - (looked much more powerful)
6. The Lizard

Last edited:
The Lizard was very disappointing and he doesn't even come close to matching Alfred Molina's breakout performance as Doctor Octopus . In fact The Lizard seemed more like a copy of Molina & Dafoe version of their respective characters.

I feel that their was to much similarities to Doc Ock and Norman Osborn from Raimi's, In his character with the duel personality of the lizard talking to Conners as the beast take over was to much like Osborn talking to The Goblin in the first movie. furthermore the absence of Martha & Billy Conners should've been addressed and would've made a much more justifiable reason behind Curt's purpose to re-grow his arm rather than just wanting to improve mankind.

Visually I would've preferred if the Lizard to keep on the white trench coat it looked way better than him without it.
Blame Raimi, then, for deciding to change the characterization of Osborn.

I'll say the "birth" scenes of Sandman and Venom were better than Lizard's (which happened off-screen?). But he was more menacing than Sandman and not as underdeveloped as Venom. As a Lizard fan, I was sad he was underdeveloped, but he didn't feel wasted like Venom or boring like Sandman.

But to each their own, I suppose.

It isn't simply about him being underdeveloped. What is there is just bad imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"