The Force Awakens The Look of Star Wars VII-IX

Spider-Who?

ERMERGERD!
Reaction score
We all know that the visual look of Star Wars is vastly different when watching the two trilogies. The Prequels’ design atheistic – everything from clothing to space ships – has a much more regal, smooth, organic, and (in my view) over-stylized look, which did not mesh with the designs I fell in love with in the original trilogy.

Many people have tried to explain the aesthetic differences between the movies as simply Republic indulgence and Empirical pragmatism, and while that is somewhat acceptable to me, I still feel like that’s a weak excuse for young artists wanting to make a name for themselves while designing the prequels, instead of expanding upon the groundwork laid down by the artists and designers of the originals. Even the lightsabers looked weird in the prequels - more like toys than weapons with big red buttons and odd shapes.

With all this in mind – how do you want the new films to look? Do you want to see X-Wings still in use, or new ships? Streamlined, gold plated cruisers or more utilitarian ships? Bright and elegant clothing, or something more subtle? Of all 6 movies, what designs (rooms,/buildings, clothing, ships, tools) are iconic designs and should remain?

Feel free to discuss the overall look of cinematography you'd like as well.

(Note – this isn’t about CGI or practical. I think we ALL want less CGI).

v_ta_DSC00490.jpg

T-65+X-wing+starfighter.jpg

1002130.jpg

millenium-falcon.gif

Last edited:
I'm betting the look won't be like the prequels. This will be a time after the Clone Wars and the fall of the Empire, so not everything will have that "clean" look to it.

A mix of both looks, a lot more of detail. The Old Republic trailers are how i would like the film to look:
[YT]z0RuR3FREFw[/YT]
If every location looked like the one in 0:28 it would be a dream come true.

Right on the money, Lord. That's exactly how these new movies should look.

I hope it looks more like the originals, the look honestly took me so far out of the movies in the prequels. Thats why one of the reasons Revenge of the Sith is one of the better ones as it feels more dirty and everythings not as streamlined especially in the final scenes.

However I'm afraid it will look just like the prequels because CGI is much cheaper, easier, and in our current times much easier to deal with.

I hope it looks more like the originals, the look honestly took me so far out of the movies in the prequels. Thats why one of the reasons Revenge of the Sith is one of the better ones as it feels more dirty and everythings not as streamlined especially in the final scenes.

However I'm afraid it will look just like the prequels because CGI is much cheaper, easier, and in our current times much easier to deal with.

I think the overabundance of CGI is a seperate issue. It's the actual designs of the Prequel universe that felt out of place. For me, it never really felt like a star wars movie until the final scene with Vader and Palpatine in the Star Destroyer.

To tell the truth the prequels had their oun kinds of designs, they were still original and quite unique. With this new trilogy i thing the designs should be a mix of both, the dark times are over but the universe's still not as clean as before.

Yeah, I've been dying to see something like The Old Republic on screen.

Just stupid little robots flying around like in the prequels, Star Tours and OT special editions.

I think the overabundance of CGI is a seperate issue. It's the actual designs of the Prequel universe that felt out of place. For me, it never really felt like a star wars movie until the final scene with Vader and Palpatine in the Star Destroyer.

And that felt weird (besides being a real set) because it looked like a different movie.

I also think that the shaggy '70's/80's hair that the original trilogy had should make a comeback. Hell, since now the bedhead/shaggy look is the norm, why not?

pretty much, but it wasn't so much the scenery or the set design it was more the costume design that threw me. Look at Luke and Han compared to Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

Luke-vs-Han.jpg

41800_95232283175_6612680_n.jpg

The hair is way too weird unknown when before everyone pretty much looked like normal guys in space costumes. Even the space costumes just look too much like nice space costumes rather than something these people where everyday.

There's a certain rawness that the original films had in the costume department.

One can argue that the look of the PT was purposeful. As everything was shiny and new to contrast the guerrilla style warfare of the rebellion and the overall bleakness of a universe controlled by the Empire.

I just found out about this. A whole new trilogy.
Wow.

I'm no new trilogy hater, enjoyed Episodes II and III and Parts of I, so I wonder how I'll like this new trilogy, but I very clearly see the many many many many flaws of the new trilogy.

I can't wait for 2015. It'll likely be released in May 2015, so we've got what? A year and seven months until its release?

So it's gotta be written and casted by now, right?

One can argue that the look of the PT was purposeful. As everything was shiny and new to contrast the guerrilla style warfare of the rebellion and the overall bleakness of a universe controlled by the Empire.

There were always weird design choices too. It was cohesive enough for me, especially that stupid diner in 'Attack of the Clones'. Took me out of the movie.

I just found out about this. A whole new trilogy.
Wow.

I'm no new trilogy hater, enjoyed Episodes II and III and Parts of I, so I wonder how I'll like this new trilogy, but I very clearly see the many many many many flaws of the new trilogy.

I can't wait for 2015. It'll likely be released in May 2015, so we've got what? A year and seven months until its release?

So it's gotta be written and casted by now, right?

Written, maybe. No one has been added to the cast yet, though. And we don't know when it's being released, but I doubt May since Disney already has Avengers 2 releasing then.

There were always weird design choices too. It was cohesive enough for me, especially that stupid diner in 'Attack of the Clones'. Took me out of the movie.

I could buy it since Coruscant is a giant planet sized city. So there would be different areas and all that. Still, I know what you're saying.

I could buy it since Coruscant is a giant planet sized city. So there would be different areas and all that. Still, I know what you're saying.

Seems like 1313 looks more in line with the original trilogy.

starwars_1313_a.jpg

star-wars-1313-disney.jpg

image_star_wars_1313-20018-2515_0002.jpg

Star-Wars-1313-Concept-Art-14.jpg

star-wars-1313-concept-art.jpg

image_star_wars_1313-20016-2515_0002.jpg

Star-Wars-1313-Concept-Art-11.jpg

It was purposeful. It's not as if the costume designer went to the flea market and started buying stuff and Lucas saw them, said "oh, well" and ok'd them.

pretty much, but it wasn't so much the scenery or the set design it was more the costume design that threw me. Look at Luke and Han compared to Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

The hair is way too weird unknown when before everyone pretty much looked like normal guys in space costumes. Even the space costumes just look too much like nice space costumes rather than something these people where everyday.

Yes, and ANH is terribly dated because of those hairstyles alone. That's why they changed them in ESB.

And to compare Jedi robes to civilian clothes is asinine. Post a pic of Obi Wan in ANH and Qui Gon in TPM and then you can have a fair comparison.

Diner scene and the bar/club scene were great with their neon aesthetics, imo. Really made that part of town look organic. Coruscant ain't Mos Eisley.

Yeah if this is post Empire... things should look pretty gritty.

Though even in the original trilogy, it clearly varied from area to area.

But we also have to keep in mind that the original trilogy was a product of the late 70's and 80's.

Modern designs are going to be a bit different. And depending on when the story is set, this could reasonably explained in the movies as well. I imagine an X-Wing would be out of style if the story is set 20 years or more after Return of the Jedi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"