The Many Saints of ‘Newark’ | The Sopranos Prequel

I wonder if there'll turn out to be any surreal, vaguely discomforting dream sequences in this thing.

I think he knows it’s going to go to streaming eventually but before that he hoped it would be a theatrical experience and that be how people experienced it first.

You're not wrong about No Time to Die; that's a studio product loaded in the chamber and ready to fire. You're a little off base about Newark though. Unless your Clint Eastwood or Kevin Smith, a June wrap doesn't ensure a Fall release; editing is where the movie's really made. Joseph Gordon Levitt something like writing is making the blueprints, shooting is manufacturing the parts, and editing is where it's really crafted together. Creators like Simon won't assemble something like this together like you would a piece of Ikea furniture. It's going to go through many rounds of editing, possibly some audience testing, then those aforementioned reshoots that were delayed due to Covid. Timeline adds up. Just a silly attitude to have given he's making a movie for WB and it will 100% go to HBO.

You're not wrong about No Time to Die; that's a studio product loaded in the chamber and ready to fire. You're a little off base about Newark though. Unless your Clint Eastwood or Kevin Smith, a June wrap doesn't ensure a Fall release; editing is where the movie's really made. Joseph Gordon Levitt something like writing is making the blueprints, shooting is manufacturing the parts, and editing is where it's really crafted together. Creators like Simon won't assemble something like this together like you would a piece of Ikea furniture. It's going to go through many rounds of editing, possibly some audience testing, then those aforementioned reshoots that were delayed due to Covid. Timeline adds up. Just a silly attitude to have given he's making a movie for WB and it will 100% go to HBO.
I'm all for taking more time to ensure a better finished product, I was just acknowledging that it could have been out sooner because I'm getting tired of filmmakers complaining about the day and date streaming releases on HBO Max. Yeah, we know it sucks and no one really WANTS this, but they're still getting paid regardless. I can understand why Villeneuve is more up in arms about Dune because that is an epic scale film with franchise potential but Many Saints is the type of film that I'd enjoy at home just as much because I love The Sopranos.

Your arguments, however much I am in support of day-and-date release models, are wildly all over the place.

- No, it could not have been out sooner for reasons both you and I pointed out: COVID caused this delay in the editing/reshoot process.
- You pointed out they're getting paid, when it's more likely they're getting paid on Box-office receipts solely, not streaming receipts through D+PA or HBO Max subscriber reciepts. That's a valid concern that HBO/WB should have neatly squared away prior to shifting everything to day-and-date. That filmmakers are pushing theaters during a pandemic is what I find particularly disgusting, because it's apparent their cut comes before everyone else's safety. Villeneuve can shove his "church-like experience" nonsense up his ass, because if filmmakers like him would ever see something outside the LA bubble where the audiences are knuckledraggers and the auditoriums are in disrepair, he'd be ****ing miserable.
- You're actually proving Simon's point here: He wants Newark to not be considered a TV Movie because it was based on a TV show.

Your arguments, however much I am in support of day-and-date release models, are wildly all over the place.

- No, it could not have been out sooner for reasons both you and I pointed out: COVID caused this delay in the editing/reshoot process.
- You pointed out they're getting paid, when it's more likely they're getting paid on Box-office receipts solely, not streaming receipts through D+PA or HBO Max subscriber reciepts. That's a valid concern that HBO/WB should have neatly squared away prior to shifting everything to day-and-date. That filmmakers are pushing theaters during a pandemic is what I find particularly disgusting, because it's apparent their cut comes before everyone else's safety. Villeneuve can shove his "church-like experience" nonsense up his ass, because if filmmakers like him would ever see something outside the LA bubble where the audiences are knuckledraggers and the auditoriums are in disrepair, he'd be ****ing miserable.
- You're actually proving Simon's point here: He wants Newark to not be considered a TV Movie because it was based on a TV show.
- But were they always going to do reshoots before COVID or did they just seize the opportunity considering they had more time to complete it?
- I don't know the inner workings of the contracts for directors and writers' salaries when it comes to box office receipts but I have to imagine that it varies from film to film. I'd expect that box office receipts wouldn't factor into salaries for a film like this nearly as much as something like Black Widow, even though The Sopranos is a recognizable brand on its own.
- It's all a matter of perspective. He's thinking that it'll have that stigma just because of the source material and because of the HBO Max release date, which is understandable since he's old school like that. But the way I see it, The Sopranos as a show is far more intricate than most films. The storytelling being so cinematic with the benefit of having 10-13 hours per season to get its point across was what propelled it to the gold quality standard that made people first start taking certain television shows as seriously as Oscar caliber films just like The Wire, Breaking Bad, etc. I don't seem to recall anyone dismissing El Camino as a TV movie even with being released straight to Netflix, and that was before the pandemic.

It seems like Dickies conversations with his father in prison are some kinda therapy sessions.

The biggest question I don’t think anybody is asking…. will Tippy show up?

A ton of reviews coming in through Rottentomatoes. Pretty mixed response so far. Either way, I cannot wait to watch this thing.

Getting the overall sense that the film is decent/solid/serviceable, but was ultimately an unnecessary and seemingly pointless addition to the Sopranos mythos. Kind of what I had predicted.

They probably could have used the same overall premise to create an original (non-prequel) film with no ties to the Sopranos.

Apparently a certain moment that was referenced in
Soprano Home Movies
Is in the movie and I can’t wait to finally see it.

This is not a masterpiece, but I would say it’s more than serviceable. Not sure if it’s connection to The Sopranos helps or hurts it. Either way, I enjoyed it.

Man I can’t believe this finally comes out next week. So exciting.

I saw it today and as a major fan of The Sopranos, I'm content. In the main however it feels like a wasted chance as the story would of fit much better as a TV series.

There's just too much going on but the pieces are all there for a fantastic series. It's a shame.

Umm wasn't Tony only like 10 years older than Christopher????

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"