The most influential Marvel storyline ever?

Hmm, I don't think you could limit it to just a single story, but rather a least one story per character - all of which have already been mentioned. The Death of Gwen Stacy, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Secret Wars, Frank Miller's Daredevil run, and probably a few others I'm forgetting all play an extremely large part in making Marvel...well, Marvel.

Infinity9999x said:
What? Are you crazy? What's wrong with people now a days....free thinkers and all...pshhh:)

I actually didn't hate the storyline with as much passion as others, it just didn't suit my version of Spidey really. I thought the whole spider-god thing worked better as one of those questions that are never answered, like the indentity of V. Once you go and take the mystery out of it and try to make it true, I thought it ruined the best part of that concept. The first appearance of Morlun, and the way Spidey beat him was pretty awesome in my opinion, but I thought it should have ended there.

Heh, I respect your view on the subject even if I don't agree completely. My choices were based on those that took those fundamentals and changed them in a way that can never be forgotten or overlooked years from now.

I want to say WEapon X since wolverine is everywhere:o:)

I want to say WEapon X since wolverine is everywhere:o:)

GoldenAgeHero said:
am i the only one that did'nt like the dark phoenix saga?

I think it's overrated and doesn't represent what the X-Men are about.

A real X-story?Fatal Attractions.

torkibe said:
House of M probably ranks up there...

To influence is to change.

From what I know the HoM didn't change anything, 'cept for the whole "no more Mutants" thing, and I don't think that'll last long.

I'd say, for the entire MU the Secret Wars is the most influential. It was the first of it's kind, and it affected many characters in a long term sense.

I think the Death of Gwen Stacy is often regarded as the death of innocence in comics. After that, people that were close to the main charecters were no longer safe. It had offically become a slightly darker place in the MU.

SuperFerret said:

From what I know the HoM didn't change anything, 'cept for the whole "no more Mutants" thing, and I don't think that'll last long.

I'd say, for the entire MU the Secret Wars is the most influential. It was the first of it's kind, and it affected many characters in a long term sense.

to say house of m changed nothing is incorrect.
you've got:

"no more mutants"
ms. marvel being reintroduced
hawkeye being reintroduced
wolverine remembering everything
quicksilver's fall from grace
the list goes on...

now, what remains to be seen is if these changes stick...

SuperFerret said:

Not neccessarily. As it just happened, we don't know what long term effect it may have. I'm sure the collective's actions will have a major influence on the happenings in Civil War. It has already been a factor on the registration act being passed.

^yeesh. Thank you Gilpesh. SOMEONE finally said it.

it seems that civil war will make a change ...
but till I read all of it
I will go with house of m ... I mean 90% of the mutant population gone is BIG
right?

November Rain said:
you don't think the death of uncle ben is more influential???

That just influenced Spidey but as Zaptoitnow said:

Zaptoitnow said:
I think the Death of Gwen Stacy is often regarded as the death of innocence in comics. After that, people that were close to the main charecters were no longer safe. It had offically become a slightly darker place in the MU.

giant sized x-men 1
first showing of wolverine.
uncle ben's death
i suppose if it ever occured it would really be the death of charles xavier leading to an AoA timeline.

influence wise, i'm trying to think of events that occured that are still being felt today or at least a considerable amount of time...

Gilpesh said:
That just influenced Spidey but as Zaptoitnow said:
but stacey wouldn't have died if uncle ben never did. All of peter's actions have been diverted solely due to one man's affect on him.

I guess one can interpret influential as being on the course of the marvel universe or rather on the course of the way stories are created and interpreted by us in the real world.

I've used the former while the latter is being used by Zaptoitnow

November Rain said:
but stacey wouldn't have died if uncle ben never did. All of peter's actions have been diverted solely due to one man's affect on him.

I guess one can interpret influential as being on the course of the marvel universe or rather on the course of the way stories are created and interpreted by us in the real world.

I've used the former while the latter is being used by Zaptoitnow
If you go that way then I would have to say that It would be The Spider biting Peter, since without that The Burglar might have not been in the same place, after robbing the Spider-man fight earlier to even kill Ben. But really, I don't think Spider-man has a realy big story that affected the way events worked out in the Marvel U. His actions rarely affected others in the Universe, and I'm going to say that the Avengers forming is the event that probably influences actions in the Marvel U the most. Thats where a lot of charecters went ot introduce themselves, it's where you come accross a lot of the Universe wide threats, and it's the basis for superteams that weren't family or genetically linked.

In summary, most influential towards creative style and content: Death of Gwen Stacy

Most influential as in changing the course of the Marvel U: Avengers Forming

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"