• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Mask Deserves More Respect

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
Whenever someone makes a list of the best comic book adaptations this one is unfairly excluded.

I understand that fans get excited when their favorite characters get a movie but a lot of them sucked. For every Spider-Man 2 and Dark Knight we get three movies that either completely sucked or were simply okay-ish.

The Mask is a great movie. It holds up after 15 years! Sure it's a comedy, but so what? Comedies aren't easy to make, so you have to give it credit for being funny after all these years. And Jim Carrey was fantastic in the movie. The man was a goofball, serious, a fighter (remember the ending), and a song & dance man. Very few actors can pull this off.

It is amazing, truly awesome, is it on blu-ray?

Yeah. The Mask is on my list of top CB movies. So is Road to Perdition. Both are very good CB movies that dont get mentioned much. And you are right, Jim Carrey was the perfect fit. Not many actors could have pulled all those things off as well as he did. Plus, the movie being a critical and finantial success just adds to it being an all around great movie.

Go Mask. Jim Carey is the only guy that could have pulled that part off. Now if they can just get him to be Plastic Man in a movie, we'll be all set.

The Mask is definitely great! And the score is really amazing. I bet if they had made a sequel WITH Jim Carrey it would've being HUGE. Like Men in Black huge at the time.

Yeah, The Son of the Mask was about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Worse than Howard the Duck and Catwoman.

I liked The Mask. Granted, it wasn't as hardcore as the original comic - which was loaded with violence and sick humor - but I prefer the first (and IMO only) movie the way it is.

Yeah, The Son of the Mask was about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Worse than Howard the Duck and Catwoman.

worst then HTD? But it had Lea in her underwear :grin: that made it worth seeing

firs of mask is a f... great movie IMO.
second the movie cost 23 millions to make and made 351 millions worldwide. this is why it was not more violent .

is there a making of from the movie the mask on the internet?

Jim Carrey deserves more respect.

Hear hear, I love The Mask! It's always been a favorite of mine, Jim Carrey gives one of his very best performances in it. It's such a blast, a cartoon to be sure. And Cameron Diaz...well..yeah, wow.

I haven't seen Son of the Mask, and have no intention to do so.

Have you seen Yes Man?

I rest my case.
Lol. Good point. I haven't seen that movie though but from the trailer I can more or less see what you mean. I believe he will come back with a vengeance with "I love you, Philip Morris" with Ewan McGregor. He is a great underrated actor imo.

for the money they spent on the Mask (only 10 million), the movie looked great and it made me love Jim Carrey.

I just caught parts of #23 recently, didn't really care for the film but I was really impressed by Carrey's range. I hope he gets to explore his dark side more in future films, he should be Pennywise in the IT remake imo because he can be really creepy and funny too.

Of course THE MASK gets excluded when people list the best comic book movies. Even many comic book fans don't know it was ever a comic book.

The ticket I paid for that film is all it's ever gonna get from me.

They need to bring back The Mask. There are many unexplored characters they could use (Walter) and it would be cool to see a movie that looks and feels more like the comic. I'm not sure if New Line still has it, but I think it's time for someone else to have a go at it, and really show the effects the Mask has on the wearer. It would be really awesome to go pay for a Mask movie that doesn't disappoint and lives up to the comics and first movie.

Last edited:
I sometimes forget that The Mask is based on a Comic Book, But yeah The First Mask Film was great.

One of my favourite ever films.

I love the bit where he is tip toeing down the hallway and he is like "Shhh" to the camera. Then the alarm clock pops out of his pocket and starts bouncing around. And when he smashes it with that over the top sledge hammer and says "Schnooooze!" to the camera again :hehe: Pure.unadulterated.hilariousness.

Carey in the mask (and other great roles such as count Olaf in a series of unfortunate events) is why i believe he would have been AMAZING as Joker in TDK his comic timing and versatility of body and movement is probably the best in comedy he is up there with the chaplins and danny kaye imo. and can act too under Nolans direction he would have ruled supreme.

"GET READY SUGAR, DADDYS GOT A SWEET TOOTH TONIGHT!!!"

classic stuff carey is amazing with the right material the mask is underrated by many but it was great and a big bonus was Cameron Diaz when she was still burning hot (had a bit more meat on her then) dont get me wrong she is still hot but more smouldering now.

21cv3p0.png

Just watched this again recently. A really underrated film, I think. Too bad they never got to make The Mask 2 with Jim Carrey.

Not really underrated, was entertaining, but it's film you will find more funny if you're a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"