• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Matrix Resurrections

It's not the acting, it's the editing, but I guess it's cut that way to be a short clip.

Just watched the Matrix for the first time in what must be at least 7 or 8 years. It still holds up in a lot of ways but I must say, I'm apprehensive about this new film. I don't want to let myself expect anything good, to avoid disappointment... But then again you'd also hope it was gonna be good since it exists at all, right? I mean this was a film that simply didn't need to exist.

But I loved Sense8 and read an interview about how personal this film was to Lana Wachowski, so I'm going to try and stay cautiously optimistic :p

I'm also apprehensive about the new film, but I mean the sequels sort of fumbled the ball on this franchise multiple times. I just don't get what's so important about this film that we needed to wait 18 years for this story to be told?

If you wanted a better a return for Neo and Trinity why not make it 15 years ago? Why even kill off Neo and Trinity at all?

But yeah, while I hesitate to call the original a masterpiece, I think it's a clever movie that still holds up.

This isn't so much a knock on the original, but I also remember thinking at the time, finding a lot of elements about the film "derivative" but it's like they took elements or ideas from other things and sort of combined them all to make them into something cool, unique and fun. Like it used derivative ideas in an interesting way if that makes sense.

jessica-henwick-gq-uk-november-2021-348b6d7df4c1b61a4.jpg

jessica-henwick-gq-uk-november-2021-04268ff0cde8a4be2.jpg

jessica-henwick-gq-uk-november-2021-228278aa4afcfc2c2.jpg

jessica-henwick-gq-uk-november-2021-10e94303cd7647acb.jpg

I just don't get what's so important about this film that we needed to wait 18 years for this story to be told?

If you wanted a better a return for Neo and Trinity why not make it 15 years ago? Why even kill off Neo and Trinity at all?

Because the original trilogy was a complete story, and Lana got inspired for this idea and the return of two characters near and dear to her heart while mourning the real-life death of her parents. You know...artists experience life and that influences their art. That's kind of how it should work. Also, the idea of a love that transcends death is inherently interesting and inspiring IMO. There is also a great opportunity to continue the commentary on humanity's evolving relationship with technology now that we have another 20 years of development to look at. Sometimes time is needed for these things to happen and the inspiration to be there. I admire the Wachowskis integrity for resisting WB's efforts to lure them back over the years when they weren't creatively interested. Lana's feelings finally changed, and here we are. It's that simple.

This isn't so much a knock on the original, but I also remember thinking at the time, finding a lot of elements about the film "derivative" but it's like they took elements or ideas from other things and sort of combined them all to make them into something cool, unique and fun. Like it used derivative ideas in an interesting way if that makes sense.

You could say the same exact thing about Star Wars. I'm not equating The Matrix to Star Wars but I do think it was sort of the closest we got at the turn of the century to something as revolutionary that presented a classic hero's journey mythology in a way that felt fresh and exciting. When a movie makes its way into the lexicon to the degree that The Matrix has you know it's hit on something. And as a film, it's incredibly precisely made, packed with resonant ideas that are still relevant today (more than ever frankly) and fantastic action that still holds up.

Last edited:
Because the original trilogy was a complete story, and Lana got inspired for this idea and the return of two characters near and dear to her heart while mourning the real-life death of her parents. You know...artists experience life and that influences their art. That's kind of how it should work. Also, the idea of a love that transcends death is inherently interesting and inspiring IMO. There is also a great opportunity to continue the commentary on humanity's evolving relationship with technology now that we have another 20 years of development to look at. Sometimes time is needed for these things to happen and the inspiration to be there. I admire the Wachowskis integrity for resisting WB's efforts to lure them back over the years when they weren't creatively interested. Lana's feelings finally changed, and here we are. It's that simple.

I mean that kind of already happened in the first and second movie ;) Love transcending death and all that.

You could say the same exact thing about Star Wars. I'm not equating The Matrix to Star Wars but I do think it was sort of the closest we got at the turn of the century to something as revolutionary that presented a classic hero's journey mythology in a way that felt fresh and exciting. When a movie makes its way into the lexicon to the degree that The Matrix has you know it's hit on something. And as a film, it's incredibly precisely made, packed with resonant ideas that are still relevant today (more than ever frankly) and fantastic action that still holds up.

I think you can make the argument. It's just the sequels weren't so murky for Star Wars ;)

I mean that kind of already happened in the first and second movie ;) Love transcending death and all that.

Right, so it's an established theme in the franchise that can now be taken further, given that the characters had actually for real died at the end of the third movie. The idea of consciousness being something separate from the body is also an idea at the core of The Matrix.

As for why does this film need to exist...put it this way-- IMO an artist revisiting and recontextualizing their own work is interesting and has a bit more weight behind it than when a corporation driving it and bringing in hired guns to continue it. I don't think this movie needs to justify its existence any more than every other blockbuster being made from IPs today. And, given that the sequels were already divisive I think there's less pressure anyway. As a fan of the trilogy I'm looking forward to seeing Lana and co. continue the ideas of the originals in a new film with the benefit of 20 years of perspective. I think it should be a fun and wild ride and I'm also hoping it'll leave me with some new ideas to think about after I leave the theater.

The Matrix should have been more than 3 films. WB and other media creators letting this franchise, with so much world building potential, gather dust for 18 years was insane. Lana be damned they should have expanded the Matrix after Revolutions.

The Matrix should have been more than 3 films. WB and other media creators letting this franchise, with so much world building potential, gather dust for 18 years was insane. Lana be damned they should have expanded the Matrix after Revolutions.

4 years ago, this was actually going to be like a reboot with Zak Penn writing and neither of the Wachowskis on board. Though I think Penn claimed it wouldn't be a reboot. Then that got scrapped and Lana Wackowski came on board to write and direct.

‘The Matrix’ Reboot in the Works at Warner Bros. (Exclusive) – The Hollywood Reporter
'Matrix 4': Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss & Lana Wachowski to Return - Variety

So I guess bullet dodged the Penn version never came to fruition? At least one of the original creators is back on board, plus some of the lead actors.

Right, so it's an established theme in the franchise that can now be taken further, given that the characters had actually for real died at the end of the third movie. The idea of consciousness being something separate from the body is also an idea at the core of The Matrix.

As for why does this film need to exist...put it this way-- IMO an artist revisiting and recontextualizing their own work is interesting and has a bit more weight behind it than when a corporation driving it and bringing in hired guns to continue it. I don't think this movie needs to justify its existence any more than every other blockbuster being made from IPs today. And, given that the sequels were already divisive I think there's less pressure anyway. As a fan of the trilogy I'm looking forward to seeing Lana and co. continue the ideas of the originals in a new film with the benefit of 20 years of perspective. I think it should be a fun and wild ride and I'm also hoping it'll leave me with some new ideas to think about after I leave the theater.

Ignore him, he’s just being pedantic. He did the same thing thing in the Evangelion thread in regards to the new Rebuild of Evangelion series of films and was annoyed why Hideaki Anno decided to revisit the franchise if it was already complete, and the answer was basically the same thing. Anno wanted to do it because he had something to say and was drawing from his own life experiences. That’s how art should work.

I don't think it's really pedantic though. It's a valid observation when you look at the many, many other classic franchises we've seen revised over the years. Sometimes you get a Bladerunner 2049 and sometimes you get a Prometheus or a Phantom Menace. It's always a coin flip and we won't know which way this one's gone until it's out.

But I think the point that, the story was mostly and largely told is a valid one. Do I think there are many, many other stories that could be told within the Matrix universe? Absolutely. But it's placing Neo and Trinity at the centre of the narrative again that's the curious choice. In a way, bringing them back has the potential to totally undo any of the dramatic stakes of them dying to begin with... So for a writer/creator to make that choice, they've got to have a very solid reason behind it. It's essentially going to be a harder sell than I think Lana would have had with a new, original story with different leads.

I'm very curious to see how it's all going to be explained.

I'm also apprehensive about the new film, but I mean the sequels sort of fumbled the ball on this franchise multiple times. I just don't get what's so important about this film that we needed to wait 18 years for this story to be told?

Surely the time away is more of a good sign than a bad one though. It could be that the wait was because the film-makers have integrity and it took this long for a compelling story to emerge. The more cynical and creatively bankrupt approach would have given us a Matrix film every 2 years until the profits stopped. We'll have to wait and see on whether this film justifies its own existence, but compared to most other franchises these days I'd say this is more likely to say or do something of value.

Lana had a story that came to her through the death of her parents. She mentioned that the whole story started flowing in the middle of the night and she started writing.some of the best ideas happened that way and it took something deeply personal for her to return after so long. I trust her and I trust her reasoning. I definitely think this franchise sat for a long time and I think it needs to continue to be expanded with more films, shows and games. I hope that ends up happening.

Extraordinarily Well Said.

Lana had a story that came to her through the death of her parents. She mentioned that the whole story started flowing in the middle of the night and she started writing.some of the best ideas happened that way and it took something deeply personal for her to return after so long. I trust her and I trust her reasoning. I definitely think this franchise sat for a long time and I think it needs to continue to be expanded with more films, shows and games. I hope that ends up happening.

Yep, that's my hope too. But as a writer myself, I know that kind of creative channeling can also be a bit of a double edged sword. Sometimes a story that comes very naturally and feels very personal to you doesn't necessarily resonate with an audience. And Lana has certainly had a hit and miss record with translating the story in her head into something that strikes a chord with the audience.

So while I absolutely love the emotion and purpose behind Lana's script, still feel like it could go either way. Honestly, the saving grace I think for this movie is that, the last two films were already pretty spotty... So the worst that happens here is we get another average Matrix movie.

But there is that hail Mary chance it redeems them a little. Only way to go is up... or, uh, sideways? Hahaha

Ignore him, he’s just being pedantic. He did the same thing thing in the Evangelion thread in regards to the new Rebuild of Evangelion series of films and was annoyed why Hideaki Anno decided to revisit the franchise if it was already complete, and the answer was basically the same thing. Anno wanted to do it because he had something to say and was drawing from his own life experiences. That’s how art should work.

*Shrugs*

That doesn't make the art good.

That they dropped it so completely, does suck.
You could have done a lot with it after the third movie, not necessary in Movie manner...but mainly outside.
The whole idea had so much potential to expand on for a long time.
But i do think now is a good time too to revive Matrix...maybe even more now than it would have been back in the day if they just kept going.

The world has changed quite a lot with technology etc, its a good time to explore the Matrix world once again and reflect on how far we have come.

I "played" the UE5 Matrix tech demo, and it was really something else...mainly because it gave me this familiar Matrix feeling you know.
But also because it was the perfect showcase as gamer, where technology goes, what we can expect...and that really got me hyped for new Matrix content in general.

But I think the point that, the story was mostly and largely told is a valid one. Do I think there are many, many other stories that could be told within the Matrix universe? Absolutely. But it's placing Neo and Trinity at the centre of the narrative again that's the curious choice. In a way, bringing them back has the potential to totally undo any of the dramatic stakes of them dying to begin with... So for a writer/creator to make that choice, they've got to have a very solid reason behind it. It's essentially going to be a harder sell than I think Lana would have had with a new, original story with different leads.

I guess it remains to be seen if Neo did die to begin with. We saw his body carried away and we all assumed the worst, but it was never confirmed he was dead.

Trinity appeared to be very much dead, but we don't know yet if it's the real Trinity we're seeing in the new film or just a digital version within the Matrix - a residual image of her.

I agree though on the face of it, there is the potential for undoing the stakes by bringing back the older characters. However I think equally that when these's such a long gap since the original trilogy, the audiences (old and new) need those old characters back in order for them to build interest in any new story. The Matrix has been hugely popular for a long time and much of it was down to the iconic characterisations of Neo, Trinity, Morpheus, etc. Bringing them back in some shape or form - even if only to act as a bridge to a new potential franchise - is a necessary evil.

Yep, that's my hope too. But as a writer myself, I know that kind of creative channeling can also be a bit of a double edged sword. Sometimes a story that comes very naturally and feels very personal to you doesn't necessarily resonate with an audience. And Lana has certainly had a hit and miss record with translating the story in her head into something that strikes a chord with the audience.

So while I absolutely love the emotion and purpose behind Lana's script, still feel like it could go either way. Honestly, the saving grace I think for this movie is that, the last two films were already pretty spotty... So the worst that happens here is we get another average Matrix movie.

But there is that hail Mary chance it redeems them a little. Only way to go is up... or, uh, sideways? Hahaha
I'm definitely a fan of the sequels, but I hear you. Honestly, if it's at least as good as Reloaded, I'll be very happy. And either way, I admire the ambition of Lana Wachowski. The movie, if nothing else, look like it's gonna have some great cinematography and action set pieces. i mean they're flying real helicopters down a city block!

It can always go either way, but these days I'm honestly just happy whenever I get to see a filmmaker swing for the fences with one of these types of movies. That in itself is its own victory to me, even if not everything works. Because you know that decisions are being made from an artistic point of view-- what another human being finds inspiring or interesting. Not what a corporate board room thinks has the best chance of selling. Every so often those two things align and you get lightning in a bottle like the original Matrix, but as a sci-fi franchise like this moves into the future, it becomes more and more important to bring interesting and ambitious ideas to the table. Otherwise what's the point?

When it comes to The Matrix, I would much rather a flawed and interesting ambitious swing of a film than a boring, paint by numbers 'competent' film that doesn't bring enough fresh ideas to the table. Then again, I'm a big fan of the sequels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"