Action-Adventure The Matrix Resurrections

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by S.A.A.D., Jan 23, 2011.

1. DarkKnight88 Registered

And to be honest, the idea that we're all just in some fantasy world while our bodies are being fed by robots is a horrifying idea. R-Rating doesn't always mean violence/swearing. It can also mean subject matter as well. That very idea would shatter a lot of under 18 minds.

#1226 DarkKnight88, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Drizzle and BatLobster like this.
  2. henzINNIT Registered

Being in the Matrix used to scare me as a child but honestly I'd be cool with it now. Things would make more sense.

BatLobster and Shinobi Shaw like this.
  3. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Lol, I'm pretty sure I didn't *fully* understand the premise when I was 13. But sneaking into that showing after seeing Phantom Menace is definitely one of the more memorable moviegoing experiences of my life.

You're right though, the themes and subject matter definitely factor in.

#1228 BatLobster, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  4. Shinobi Shaw The Upstart Black King

I’d be totally cool with it also. Hell any time something goes sideways in my life I still say “Operator i need an exit.” Lol.

OutOfBoose and henzINNIT like this.
  5. DarkKnight88 Registered

I don't know. Orgies and gruel all the time. Gets kinda old.

6. Drizzle The Man Without Shame

I think I was 11 when I saw The Matrix for the first time (not in theaters). I was impressed by the action and visual effects but I don't think I fully grasped the subject matter until I rewatched it 2-3 years later before Reloaded came out.

7. fake Registered

I was lucky enough to watch Matrix 4 this week. It's good, not as good as the first movie obviously, but better than both the sequels. Goes in a lot of unexpected directions.

8. MOVIELORD101 Utter Smeghead

You saw it?! Was there a test screening or something? Also, is there an official title? Need proof that you're telling the truth.

9. samsnee Ok

Is the plot different enough from the first ones, or is it basically Neo figuring out who he is again?

10. fake Registered

Test screening.
    Title during the screening was "The Matrix: Resurrections"

The plot is literally nothing you would expect. If given a chance to guess what the plot would be, no way I would even get close.
    The first hour is very very meta. The basic plot at a high level can be said to be about Neo and Trinity figuring out who they are but not in the way you think.

#1235 fake, Jul 2, 2021
    Last edited by moderator DKDetective: Jul 2, 2021
  11. Pennywise Registered

How was the film’s cinematography since John Toll replaced Bill Pope from the original trilogy, and is there a difference in visual style, the same, or a bit of both?

12. MOVIELORD101 Utter Smeghead

So basically it's this series' version of New Nightmare? Can you say who the new actors are playing? I SWEAR Neil Patrick Harris HAS to be playing an Agent!

13. samsnee Ok

Ok thanks. Would love to get a more detailed explanation if you can pm me and promise I won’t share it. The way you described it does sound like the first but will trust you are right.

14. fake Registered

A bit of both, the color corrections are not done yet so it's hard to say if it visual aesthetic will be the same as the previous movies once done

New Nightmare would be a really good comparison for sure. A lot of callbacks to the first movie, pretty much only the first movie gets callbacks, only a couple of things from the sequels
    Yahya Abdul Mateen - Morpheus 2.0 (a computer program coded by Neo which gains sentience
    Jessica Henwick - Bugs (the movie is from her point of view for the most part)
    Neil Patrick Harris - The Analyst (he's like The Architect from the original trilogy). He's the main villain of the movie. Has created a pocket universe to keep Neo and Trinity alive for the purposes of creating energy for the machines
    Jonathan Groff - Agent Smith recoded
    Jada Pinkett Smith - Niobe, 60 years older. She is the leader of the human race in a city named Io which was built after Zion fell
    Priyanka Chopra - Sati grown up

15. fake Registered

It follows a very similar structure to the first movie. You can almost map each of them to the big moments. Actually it's very easy to map the big moments because the movie does it for you. There's a lot of scenes from the first movie which play during this movie. They serve a purpose in the plot though while also serving as nostalgia. One of the characters even comments on that.

#1240 fake, Jul 2, 2021
  16. samsnee Ok

Thanks.
    I hate these legacy sequels like Force Awakens that rely too much on nostalgia without giving us anything new. Guess I’ll pass on this one.

#1241 samsnee, Jul 2, 2021
  17. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Folks, watch the spoilers. Please tag anything relating to the alleged test screening. Comparisons of plot points with past films can say a lot about the movie and spoil it for others.

18. Shinobi Shaw The Upstart Black King

Now you guys are making me want to watch New Nightmare again.

19. Revolverr Registered

So, are some leaks reports real?

I remember reading something like:
    Keanu works for Warner Bros. (some game company) and Christina Ricci is his boss or something like that, I can't quite remember because I thought it was fake lol

20. fake Registered

This is true.

Christina Ricci is not his boss, she is in maybe 2 scenes total. She feels like she is a marketing exec, but its never made clear, she just tells everyone what the Matrix sequel should be like. The game company is named Deus Machina and is owned by Warner Bros. At one point, Groff invites Keanu into his office and says something to the effect of "Our parent company, Warner Bros, wants to make sequels to the Matrix games, and they will proceed with or without us. They want to exercise our contract options and get us on board. I was thinking what is the harm in returning to the Matrix world again or a few more times"

Revolverr likes this.
  21. Revolverr Registered

Oh well lol. Thank you very much!
    This could be fun at the very least.

22. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

If this is true... this is going to polarize people and disappoint financially. This is not what people want out of the first Matrix movie in 20 years. Then WB will probably just take it over and do safer and watered down content to please the fans and
    be the thing that what sounds like this movie is railing against.

Usually I'm getting tired of these meta narratives, but those are meta in celebration of what they already are, whereas this actually seems to be deconstructing the studio system with these franchises in general. If Lana Wachowski tells a meta story about how these studios are resurrecting these old franchises and won't let them die until they're run into the ground then I can get behind that. It wasn't what I was expecting but I hope it's well executed.

23. Filmfan93 The Man in Black

The title of the of the film ("The Matrix Resurrections") is not really new - was revealed by a production crew member back in January.

A few weeks ago several people on social media and Reddit also saw the film at exclusive screenings and confirmed that's the title.

24. Hunter Rider Ronin

What's the action like?

Eggyman likes this.
  25. Marvolo Registered

This just sounds awful. Oh well, its going to be on HBOMax so at least I dont have to pay for it.