The Namek: Piccolo Discussion Thread

If it's King Piccolo, no human elements. If it's Ma Junior, save those "human elements" for the second film & the other movies beyond that.

They'll be aiming for an epic plot scale, so the former. Piccolo needs to be an ambitious, pre-tyrant, 100% morally deprived demonic force of nature. In DB continuity, he was meant to be a demon. It wasn't until DBZ that they retconned it to make him a member of a peaceful alien race.
King Piccolo is a demon. Ma Jr. is the Namekian.

No, both are Namekians. King Piccolo was only classified as a demon in Dragon Ball because neither he, nor Kami knew what race they truly belonged to.

What I meant was only Ma Jr. is a natural born Namekian. King Piccolo was an incarnation of evil that existed in Kami, which is why his children prior to Ma Jr. were demons.

What I meant was only Ma Jr. is a natural born Namekian. King Piccolo was an incarnation of evil that existed in Kami, which is why his children prior to Ma Jr. were demons.

Not quite true, Kami was born on Namek but sent into space as a young boy.

Doesn't matter, King Piccolo and the contents of his egg are still Namekian by race.

Doesn't matter, King Piccolo and the contents of his egg are still Namekian by race.

Pretty much.

I always felt he was called a demon cause they didn't know he was an alien and because he did evil stuff and wore that "Devil" symbol on his chest. I mean, what else would Earthlings call him? Angel-Mon? LOL

In Dragon Ball, Piccolo Daimao was the demon king and Kami sama was the Earth god. The series could have ended with Goku surpassing both of them in the World Martial Arts Tournament becoming the strongest fighter on the Earth.

To continue the series, more powerful enemies had to come from somewhere...so they came from outer space as aliens. So to explain alien interest in Earth, existing characters were rewritten as aliens themselves. Since they were not originally intended to be aliens continuity errors are evident.

I believe though that Kami/Piccolo Daimao and Dende are "Sorceror" type Namekians and possess magical powers. Where as Ma. Jr and Nail are "Warrior" type Namekians, born as combatants.

Piccolo Daimao's children I believe are physical manifestations of his power and he can decide their physical appearance when he is creating them. He believes he is a demon so they have demonic appearances. This is similiar to how Kami or Dende can create a Dragon god and it's power is limited to that of it's creator.

Piccolo Daimao may have thought of himself as a true demon of Earthling mythology, but that's simply because he didn't know any better or disregarded demonic origin. He came to Earth at a very young age, in the unified body of himself and Kami. The two of them are aware of the fact that they are alien in origin, but that didn't stop Daimao from dubbing himself "The Demon King". Demons are said to be the epitome of evil, and Daimao crowned himself the supreme evil of Earth, the Demon King, essentially.

Piccolo Daimao may have thought of himself as a true demon of Earthling mythology, but that's simply because he didn't know any better or disregarded demonic origin. He came to Earth at a very young age, in the unified body of himself and Kami. The two of them are aware of the fact that they are alien in origin, but that didn't stop Daimao from dubbing himself "The Demon King". Demons are said to be the epitome of evil, and Daimao crowned himself the supreme evil of Earth, the Demon King, essentially.

You think of it like that because you probably saw Dragon Ball Z first and then Dragon Ball. Piccolo doesn't know he is an alien until Napa and Vegeta tell him when they first encounter. After that Kami and Popo state they had always suspected an alien origin, but not before that.

If the series had ended with Ma. Jr's defeat then their alien origin wouldn't have been introduced.

You think of it like that because you probably saw Dragon Ball Z first and then Dragon Ball. Piccolo doesn't know he is an alien until Napa and Vegeta tell him when they first encounter. After that Kami and Popo state they had always suspected an alien origin, but not before that.

If the series had ended with Ma. Jr's defeat then their alien origin wouldn't have been introduced.

That's true, but it's better to look at Toriyama's vision in its entirety. If you take it in slices, then yeah, of course it's going to look like a bunch of retcons. He made changes to the continuity with new stories and ideas to support those changes.

That's true, but it's better to look at Toriyama's vision in its entirety. If you take it in slices, then yeah, of course it's going to look like a bunch of retcons. He made changes to the continuity with new stories and ideas to support those changes.

He didn't plan out the entire Dragon Ball series though. He made it up as he went along. There's several arcs which should have ended the series but it was continued due to popularity.

So we know that Piccolo and Kami are aliens but they were not originally intended to be.

I think the combination of mythology and sci-fi is great, I hope that this shows up in the film because I think it's a very important part of the series.

I don't want it to be like Goku is a teenager that gets picked on in school, but he finds out he has super powers and Piccolo comes to Earth in a space pod and is like "Alright I'm taking over!" Oh, you're an alien too, let's team up. No? Ok, prepare to die!"

As far as this movie is concerned, King Piccolo is a demon. In the greater picture, he is Namekian. When I say demonic, I mean by deed anyway... I wasn't meaning he literally needs to be descended from demons.

A new viewer will behold his inhuman appearance, gauge his behavior (malevolent to the core), take Piccolo's personal account of being an unstoppable demon, and conclude that yes, this guy is a demon.

There's no sense in bogging the character down with science fiction just yet. It needs to be given in small, rather simplistic doses as to not cloud the plot of the movie.

If we go into DBZ territory, then more will be revealed. But I'm talking about the live action stand-alone DB.

He didn't plan out the entire Dragon Ball series though. He made it up as he went along. There's several arcs which should have ended the series but it was continued due to popularity.

So we know that Piccolo and Kami are aliens but they were not originally intended to be.

Right, but that's how just about all stories are told. Very seldom does a writer have a book completely pre-written in his head. There are always new ideas coming in and changes that are made. That's how television shows, books, and original film franchises are constructed.

Rather than thinking of it in the terms that they were never meant to be aliens, I think Toriyama would prefer for fans to be in the dark regarding Piccolo's true origin, just as the character was. The same of all this could be said about Goku. Nobody had a clue that he was from another planet. He was just found in the woods by a kind old man. Toriyama developed his origin later in the Saiyan Saga, but it was an origin that he intended to be canon, even during the time we weren't aware of it in Dragon Ball. So we could go back and watch DB, and that origin is still of canonical merit.

I was introduced through DBZ, like 90% of the fans, but after having seen Dragon Ball, neither series was the same to me. They were each completely different series apart, than they were together.

GT is the only series I would view as a separate entity from DB/Z, simply because it makes so little sense, and the story is utterly riddled with plotholes. Not to mention the fact that Akira Toriyama had virtually nothing to do with it. What a mess TOEI made of his mythos in an effort to continue making money.

I think the combination of mythology and sci-fi is great, I hope that this shows up in the film because I think it's a very important part of the series.

This is what, I think, made Dragon Ball Z vastly popular among the general public. Dragon Ball had a strong fanbase, but it's clear that Toriyama's story tripled in popularity once the science-fiction element was more heavily expanded upon.

I don't want it to be like Goku is a teenager that gets picked on in school, but he finds out he has super powers and Piccolo comes to Earth in a space pod and is like "Alright I'm taking over!" Oh, you're an alien too, let's team up. No? Ok, prepare to die!"

God, I hope not. I can't imagine any fan who would want something even remotely close to this.

Both Piccolo and Kami are to halfs of the same whole so technically they are both from Namek. Remember one cannot live without the other. At least thats the way I understand it.:word:

Not quite true, Kami was born on Namek but sent into space as a young boy.

But that was before he was split into Piccolo and Kami. Kami and Piccolo are two beings that incarnated the evil and good that existed in that Namekian (who was never named)

Time for a new topic of discussion methinks.

Do you think Piccolo's power with Nail was cancled out after he joined with Kami, or do you think he kept the power as well? Also, do you think Piccolo could continue to increase his power by constantly merging with other Namekien's? Discuss.

He probably could. It would have been funny if Piccolo would have merged with Dende.

I often wonder if Piccolo had the potential to learn to make a set of Dragon Balls himself, if it's a skill that can be learned or only certain Nameks are born with the ability.

No that would ruin the movie... if Piccolo could create his own balls he wouldn't need to look for them.

Time for a new topic of discussion methinks.

Do you think Piccolo's power with Nail was cancled out after he joined with Kami, or do you think he kept the power as well?

I'm sure he kept Nail's power, as well as his memories, though I'd think it would only account for 5% or less of his power.

Also, do you think Piccolo could continue to increase his power by constantly merging with other Namekien's? Discuss.

Yes, this is something I've thought about before. It would seem that a Namekian could infinitely increase their power, as long as there were other Namekians for them to perform the Yuugou merging of bodies. It even made me wonder...what if all the Namekians in existence were to merge into one being? You'd have something potentially rivaling, if not exceeding, the power of GT's non-canonical Super Saiyan 4.

I'm sure he kept Nail's power, as well as his memories, though I'd think it would only account for 5% or less of his power.

Yes, this is something I've thought about before. It would seem that a Namekian could infinitely increase their power, as long as there were other Namekians for them to perform the Yuugou merging of bodies. It even made me wonder...what if all the Namekians in existence were to merge into one being? You'd have something potentially rivaling, if not exceeding, the power of GT's non-canonical Super Saiyan 4.

There would definately be an increase, however I'm not sure if he would have become "that" strong. If it's true that the increase from Nail was only 5%, Nail being the second strongest Namek, that would mean all the other Nameks were weaker. Now just remember there were not a lot of Nameks left, so fusing with them would have given him an increase, that's for sure but I'm thinking only as powerful as a SSJ3 or perhaps a little less.

There would definately be an increase, however I'm not sure if he would have become "that" strong. If it's true that the increase from Nail was only 5%, Nail being the second strongest Namek, that would mean all the other Nameks were weaker. Now just remember there were not a lot of Nameks left, so fusing with them would have given him an increase, that's for sure but I'm thinking only as powerful as a SSJ3 or perhaps a little less.

The Yuugou merging seems to be of equal potency to that of Potara fusion or the Harahotaku dance. Piccolo's power increased by at least 10-fold after his merging with Nail, and goodness knows how much after his reuniting with Kami. That's as though he's undergoing a Potara/Harahotaku fusion EVERY single time he merges with JUST one Namekian. His power would be enormous.

Yuugou doesn't rely solely on adding both participants' power levels together, just as the other forms of fusion don't. Gotenks, for example, is much, much stronger than just Goten and Trunks' power levels added together. There's an additional power gained, on top of the two users' power levels.

Let's assume for a minute that the Yuugou fusion took both users' power levels, added them together, and multiplied the sum by -pulls a random number out of the air- 10. That's about the strength of the fused Namekian. And a varied equation would follow for the Harahotaku/Potara fusions.

Now imagine if Piccolo repeated this process over and over with all of the Namekians in existence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"