The Neon Demon

Considering people either really like the movie or seem to have their jimmies rustled completely, I'd say Refn is doing a good job because he makes you feel something. Whether it's positive or negative, there's a lot of movies that evoke no reaction whatsoever.

Saw this yesterday and thought it was one of the most powerful, arresting films that I've ever seen. Not many movies I've seen have ever really made such an impact on me that I can vividly remember much about them, but this film had such an amazing combo of visuals, music, and "shock value" that it became one of my most unforgettable film experiences. And, the more that I think about it, the more that I appreciate it. Few movies have ever been so daring, shocking, unnerving, and yet visually-gorgeous as this one. The closest parallel I can think of might be A Clockwork Orange, which it strangely reminded me of, as both just had a kind of surrealistic horror that was just under the edge.

Of course, the film's various shocking/disturbing moments had the most impact, but there were plenty of other scenes that left a strong "after effect" in my brain, like the other girls judging Jessie at the nightclub, the "party" in the nightclub where the lights flashed on and off (which was done so brilliantly that my jaw dropped), Jessie's "walk" audition along with that guy's reaction, and Jessie's moment of awakening and self-confidence with those crazy-surrealistic visuals, just to name a few.

I went in expecting more of a horror-genre movie than it was, but came away thinking that it outdid any horror movie that I've ever seen before with so many of its horrific implications. And more than that, I really liked how bold and fearless it was and totally unafraid to be its own thing and do the complete opposite of playing anything safe. I can understand why others would call it pretentious, and creating shock value for the sake of being shocking, but for me its raw boldness and fearlessness made it feel so refreshing in a world where so many uninspired cookie-cutter movies come out of Hollywood.

My heart sank when I saw the big chain cinemas weren't playing this, but luckily a local arts venue is running it from this Friday. That's my day off so I'm booked in for an afternoon showing. I CANNOT wait.

What's crazy is around St. Louis, the chain theaters were the ones that played this while the art houses didn't. It is amazing to me that a megaPlex theater goer could stumble into this.

Saw this yesterday and thought it was one of the most powerful, arresting films that I've ever seen. Not many movies I've seen have ever really made such an impact on me that I can vividly remember much about them, but this film had such an amazing combo of visuals, music, and "shock value" that it became one of my most unforgettable film experiences. And, the more that I think about it, the more that I appreciate it. Few movies have ever been so daring, shocking, unnerving, and yet visually-gorgeous as this one. The closest parallel I can think of might be A Clockwork Orange, which it strangely reminded me of, as both just had a kind of surrealistic horror that was just under the edge.

Of course, the film's various shocking/disturbing moments had the most impact, but there were plenty of other scenes that left a strong "after effect" in my brain, like the other girls judging Jessie at the nightclub, the "party" in the nightclub where the lights flashed on and off (which was done so brilliantly that my jaw dropped), Jessie's "walk" audition along with that guy's reaction, and Jessie's moment of awakening and self-confidence with those crazy-surrealistic visuals, just to name a few.

I went in expecting more of a horror-genre movie than it was, but came away thinking that it outdid any horror movie that I've ever seen before with so many of its horrific implications. And more than that, I really liked how bold and fearless it was and totally unafraid to be its own thing and do the complete opposite of playing anything safe. I can understand why others would call it pretentious, and creating shock value for the sake of being shocking, but for me its raw boldness and fearlessness made it feel so refreshing in a world where so many uninspired cookie-cutter movies come out of Hollywood.
:up:

Finally saw it this afternoon. Bloody beautiful.

Incredible visuals. The Argento influence was strong even down to the music blaring. Great performance by Elle. I was surprised at the ending, but loved it.

For NWR. :hrt:

The eyeball! :funny:

What's crazy is around St. Louis, the chain theaters were the ones that played this while the art houses didn't. It is amazing to me that a megaPlex theater goer could stumble into this.

I caught this film at a huge (24 screen) local AMC theater. Granted, it didn't last very long, I think only about 2 or 3 weeks. Personally, if my local AMC hadn't played it, I probably wouldn't have seen the movie until it was out on disc.

Oh and this film really made me want to see Elle Fanning as Zelda in a Legend of Zelda movie. That scene where she was wearing the jewelry on her face was the clincher for me—given the right costuming and make-up, I think she'd really work as Zelda. Preferrably opposite Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Link, who's practically the spitting image of the older teenage Link from the games!

Last edited:
Very much looking forward to this especially because of Abbey Lee who was amazing in last year's Fury Road

It's available on itunes.

Saw it yesterday, I think along with The Witch it's one of the best and most hypnotic horror movies in recent memory. I liked Drive and hated OGF but that one was great - there was not much plot but the film was very interesting and the acting was superb. I read the original script and was a bit sad Hednricks' scene was cut short and the ending was changed - though the ending in the movie was great - but after the mixed reviews the film really surprised me. I really hope Abbey Lee continues to act, she is a revelation

Just saw this, I'm still processing what I saw and somehow can't stop thinking about it. A mix between Mulholland Dr. and Suspiria which I loved both but I can't rate this one just yet.

I just watched this on Netflix last night and holy ****. It's one of the most hypnotic films I've ever seen, I honestly felt disorientated for a good while after finishing it. Visually gorgeous, incredible soundtrack, well acted, with some extremely disturbing imagery. The last 30 minutes are not for the faint hearted, one scene in particular (if you've seen it, you know the one) made me really uncomfortable and I'm extremely hard to disturb, so for goodness sake don't watch this if you're easily offended.

I loved it. I can't stop thinking about it and that's rare for me. Also, I am never looking at Jena Malone the same way ever again. :cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"