The Neon Demon

I'm probably skipping this one. It sounds unnecessarily disgusting. I still feel the burn from that piece of trash Only God Forgives.

Good movie. Lots of blood at the end of it. Video quality and soundtrack was great. Red Band Trailer should have been edit to take the **** out of it. Then pushed more as the main trailer. The first trailer was very bad and had boring music in it. Hope a Blu-Ray or 4K disc come out for this movie.

I saw this last night. It's worth watching for the visuals alone. I thought it was enjoyable, but can see why others wouldn't like it. The ending was disturbing in an enjoyable way.

My biggest complaints would probably be that some of the acting and writing at times felt dry.​

Yeah, this was amazing. Refn isn't for everyone, but if you like his other stuff, I think you'll like this.

Just wondering if it's true that the Ruby/Jesse hookup scene in the trailer isn't in the movie. Jesse basically shuts it down immediately?

Yeah, hookup doesn't happen between them. Yet Ruby tries pretty hard to get it in :cwink:

Wow, I really dug this. Awesome adult fairy tale. Definitely agree on the Argento vibes. Glad I stayed spoiler free on it. :up:

Will have a different view of Jenna Malone for quite sometime haha.

9/10

It's been roughly four days since I've seen this film and it is still on my mind. In todays market...I'd say that's very impressive.

I'm also finding more and more symbolism with the film. This movie was honestly incredible. I wish it was doing better but, it'll just have to be a diamond in the rough.

I hated that film so much that if I could personally guarantee that Refn never made another film I would. I absolutely would. I've never seen a film so devoid of any shred of humanity. There wasn't a single character in that movie, and the protagonist (Jesse) was so arrogant and conceited that I didn't give a rats ass what happened to her, or any other character for that matter. I'm repulsed by what I just saw, and not just the big controversial bits.

Damn, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the film Matt.

To be fair though...at least from my view point of the film, isn't that what Refn is ultimately going for with the audience? He's directing/written characters you SHOULDN'T like/care about. It all comes down the themes of the film and peoples descent into narcissism.

Jessie, in the beginning, was a character I liked. I liked that she was different/stuck out in a sea of manufactured clones. In a way, it kind of was reminiscent to how modeling has become as an industry. (Or it's just always been that way).

But then she descends into arrogance and being conceited, a great 180 on the part by Fanning, and you truly feel she is a different person. When she started spewing her trash about "I don't want to be like them...they want to be me." I was like, yep...you're done. I didn't like her anymore.

I liked Ruby's character because I thought she meant well but then, you know, she kind of pulls her things at the end and I'm like, okay...you're not who I thought you were.

I thought Refn did an exceptional job directing this but, as someone said above, Refn isn't for everyone. Again, sorry to hear you're disappointed leaving the film. Kind of feel bad "hyping" it up for you.

I think what poisoned me on it was that I read the script. The script was pretty good. The movie was not.

I feel like Father Time and History are going to be very kind to The Neon Demon and Only God Forgives. Two of the few films where people seem to LOVE or HATE. Not every case , but typically in art, the love/hate thing eventually leads to respect, regardless of personal opinions/preferences. No one can say Refn doesn't have a unique voice, that's for sure and for directors, that's the biggest compliment one can get.

I hated that film so much that if I could personally guarantee that Refn never made another film I would. I absolutely would. I've never seen a film so devoid of any shred of humanity. There wasn't a single character in that movie, and the protagonist (Jesse) was so arrogant and conceited that I didn't give a rats ass what happened to her, or any other character for that matter. I'm repulsed by what I just saw, and not just the big controversial bits.

I simply can't agree.

If only for catwalk casting scene. The scene plays out almost entirely through eyelines but I found it amazing how much the actors put across in just their faces even as in character they were trying to keep their composure. You can see the disappointment and defeat in the actresses' faces so well. That scene is expertly put together and really surprised me.

Last edited:
I feel like Father Time and History are going to be very kind to The Neon Demon and Only God Forgives. Two of the few films where people seem to LOVE or HATE. Not every case , but typically in art, the love/hate thing eventually leads to respect, regardless of personal opinions/preferences. No one can say Refn doesn't have a unique voice, that's for sure and for directors, that's the biggest compliment one can get.

Only God Forgives struck me as openly and purposely antagonistic towards the wider audience that Drive had brought Refn.

This film though often respulsive I found to be very effective and engrossing.

I heard that this film skewed closer to Only God Forgives. While it certainly isn't as accessible as Drive I wouldn't particularly compare it to Only God Forgives either.

A major part of it is just Refn's approach to these women. He writes them with a certain cattiness that is a superficial mask for roiling hatred and envy. The character interactions and what you can read on everyone's faces just struck me as much more complicated and real in contrast to the long blank stares he's worked with in his other movies.

And holy hell was I not prepared for some of the directions this film took. Its easy for things to be merely shocking and inviting controversy but there were multiple parts of this film that I found to be truly gut wrenching. Yes, THAT scene included. It just went on so long and was shot in such a way that I was truly disturbed in a way that I haven't felt with a film in a long, long time.

I think this is a very strong film that works in the exact way that was intended. Its a film though that I would have a very hard time recommending as I would not want to discuss it's content beforehand but just saying "Hey go see this. It's great" would give others a very strange impression of me.

I think what poisoned me on it was that I read the script. The script was pretty good. The movie was not.

This is exactly how I felt about 'Drive.' Loved the screenplay. Hated the film.

The Neon Demon was promising up until the final act when the full, uninhibited Refn took over. At that point the entire film derailed.

All that **** with Ruby after Jesse died was insane. What was that **** in front of the mirror? What was with the water the plants topless and then lying in a shallow grave? It was idiotic. And that's not even mentioning how repulsive that corpse *********ion scene was. Between that and having the audience listen to the rape of a 13 year old in it's entirety I damn near walked out. It was shock for the sake of shock. It lacked purpose.

At the end of the day the film, like so many of Refn's, lacked humanity. His characters are just vehicles for shock.

Isnt the whole point of the film to repulse you and shove atrocities of this life of the characters in your face? Granted I havent watched it yet, but thats what I took away from the trailers.

Based on what Im reading this is sounds like Refn by way of Von Trier's Anti-Christ which is full of disgusting imagery, but its not meant purely for shock value.

The Neon Demon was promising up until the final act when the full, uninhibited Refn took over. At that point the entire film derailed.

All that **** with Ruby after Jesse died was insane. What was that **** in front of the mirror? What was with the water the plants topless and then lying in a shallow grave? It was idiotic. And that's not even mentioning how repulsive that corpse *********ion scene was. Between that and having the audience listen to the rape of a 13 year old in it's entirety I damn near walked out. It was shock for the sake of shock. It lacked purpose.

At the end of the day the film, like so many of Refn's, lacked humanity. His characters are just vehicles for shock.

Ruby's drawing in the mirror could symbolize the woman body, two cross for the brest/eyes and the big one for the stomach, in front of the pool on of the model sees those eyes in it and then goes to cut herself open, the pool was full like her belly. Birth symbolism, as well with Ruby bleeding on the floor under the moon/eye

Lying inthe grave was among flowers, flowers come repetively in the film, you give it the meanings that suit the best to you.

Masterpiece.

If some of you were repulsed at certain scenes or found Elle Fanning's character too arrogant then Refn did his job. You were supposed to be repulsed by the "beauty", her narcissism.

It's a fairytale but i wouldn't say they lacked humanity. Elle Fanning's character a lot of humanity for a good part of this film.

Cliff Martinez' score was phenomenal. Beautiful visuals. Refn is one of the director's out there that puts his stamp on things, delivers a strange/unique experience, puts his personal obsessions into his work (characters who are obsessed with beauty/death/sex/money which are all relevant to this world we live in), and i do really dig his characters. Sometimes the artsier the movie, the less interesting the characters are. I don't believe that's the case with Refn. There's always at least 1 character that i find incredibly compelling in each of his movies.

If you wanted to walk out then Refn achieved his goal, which you don't have to agree with, but i certainly love it. He wants a reaction, good or bad, a strong reaction is what he wants, and that's what i love to hear with music and film and art. Something that gives me a feeling that something is different or bold because i'm totally sick of generic "art". You were supposed to feel sickened by certain aspects of the film because he's trying to show you that obsession with surface level beauty can turn out to be disgusting. And it's also a horror movie at its core. Texas Chainsaw Massacre has a lot of substance? I would argue that it doesn't. But it's entertaining and influential to a lot of viewers and filmmakers. I thought he combined purpose with violent entertainment. And you certainly don't have to like it.

Matt Mortem, that is just selfish of you. If you don't like his movies, you don't have to watch them. Ignore it. Never take away something from people if they enjoy it. I don't like a ton of music out there but i wouldn't say something ridiculous like that. Refn is not for everyone just like Italian horror isn't for everyone or surreal art isn't for everyone. Hell Kubrick, Lynch etc aren't for everyone but they're bold artists with their own vision. Sometimes you like a drawing just because it looks cool. There doesn't have to be more meaning than that if you don't want it to. Sometimes you find meaning.

I would avoid bringing up Texas Chainsaw Massacre considering you seem pretty well ignorant of the context and intents of the film, but that's for another thread's discussion.

Saying something doesn't have to have meaning to be worthwhile as art is hardly a defense. Empty aestheticism and hollow shock are exactly what Refn is being accused of.

Last edited:
Matt Mortem, that is just selfish of you. If you don't like his movies, you don't have to watch them. Ignore it. Never take away something from people if they enjoy it. I don't like a ton of music out there but i wouldn't say something ridiculous like that. Refn is not for everyone just like Italian horror isn't for everyone or surreal art isn't for everyone. Hell Kubrick, Lynch etc aren't for everyone but they're bold artists with their own vision. Sometimes you like a drawing just because it looks cool. There doesn't have to be more meaning than that if you don't want it to. Sometimes you find meaning.

I was being hyperbolic in what I initially posted about Refn, and I don't think it's necessary in the least to personally attack me because I didn't like the film. I came into this thread optimistic about the movie up until the moment I saw it. I didn't like it but I sure as hell didn't personally attack anyone for enjoying it. To each their own, but I thought the movie was pretentious as hell and didn't justify it's shocks or arty trappings with a worthwhile narrative.

Last edited:
I was being hyperbolic in what I initially posted about Refn, and I don't think it's necessary in the least to personally attack me because I didn't like the film. I came into this thread optimistic about the movie up until the moment I saw it. I didn't like it but I sure as hell didn't personally attack anyone for enjoying it. To each their own, but I thought the movie was pretentious as hell and did justify it's shocks or arty trappings with a worthwhile narrative.

All true, but I loved it. :woot:

Cl2wRfyVYAA5KQE.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"