The Neon Demon

OMYlr7H.jpg

:ilv:

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh.

Julian Winding - The Demon Dance
[YT]0w8HIj5PkpM[/YT]

When does the score release? Sounds like a must buy.

Loved the movie. I fully understand why it has been so polarizing, you really have to let go of all traditional movie expectations with pictures like this.

Refn confirmed that Gosling and him was doing another LA based film together.

Ck_7i8eVEAAIJc1.jpg:large

Refn confirmed that Gosling and him was doing another LA based film together.

Yes! I'm so happy Gosling is very picky about what films he stars in. With Blade Runner 2 and now another film with Refn, I'm so excited to see what he does over the next few years.

HO-LY HELL...

What did I just watch?

Seriously...I'm honestly perplexed by this film. I've never felt so uneasy leaving a movie theater before. I love horror films/nothing ever really gets to me but, there is one scene in this film that had me dry heaving.

I'll probably never watch this film again but damn did I enjoy it. I love Refn and his direction/his style. He definitely is more of a "style over substance" kind of person. I think though that there was a lot of symbolism/deeper meanings to things that went over peoples heads. I know IGN gave this film like a 5 or something? They said that it tried too hard...I personally don't see it.

I feel like there is some truth to what was seen in the film. I do feel like the modeling world is very pretentious/cut-throat. (albeit not as drastic as what is shown). As I type this, various scenes are playing over in my head. Keanu's role, while small, had a memorable moment that was very unsettling.

The highlight of the film though, as with any projects he's attached to, was Cliff Martinez's score. Wow, just...wow. One of the best I've heard in a long time.

I look forward to hearing others reactions/opinions about this film.

I may catch it tomorrow. Money's tight and the girlfriend wants me to take her to Independence Day.

I may catch it tomorrow. Money's tight and the girlfriend wants me to take her to Independence Day.

I'd say that's probably a safer bet if you're taking your girlfriend to see a movie.

If you're taking your girlfriend to see this film, just a heads up...

This movie has some unsettling themes about beauty and how girls/guys perceive beauty. I understand that's a given when seeing the trailers but...I think it's presented in a way that's not expected.

Also they don't show anything but, there is a "rape" scene. The way it's done with just the audio is very unsettling.

I'd say that's probably a safer bet if you're taking your girlfriend to see a movie.

If you're taking your girlfriend to see this film, just a heads up...

This movie has some unsettling themes about beauty and how girls/guys perceive beauty. I understand that's a given when seeing the trailers but...I think it's presented in a way that's not expected.

Also they don't show anything but, there is a "rape" scene. The way it's done with just the audio is very unsettling.

I know what's in it. Read the script. If it's still playing when payday comes I'll probably catch an early matinee. I have a feeling this will be more Only God Forgives than Drive.

Fanning deserves a nod for this role you think?

Just some quick thoughts of the movie which I caught last night.

The Neon Demon is Refn’s most aesthetically pleasing picture to date with its vibrant colors that change from one palette to the next in an instant. Its score, like every other Refn film, is memorable and coordinated perfectly with the action taking place on screen. Unfortunately, coincidentally, it’s also Refn’s most shallow film despite having some of the most dialogue he’s ever included since Bronson. Elle Fanning shines as Jessie which seems to be the films only saving grace when it comes to the interest of characters, but the bi-polar tonal differences up until the final act seems like Refn didn’t know exactly what kind of movie he wanted to make—a tribute to The Valley of Dolls, Suspiria, Black Swan, or even Possession (1981). What started out as a seemingly straightforward criticism of Hollywood’s obsession with underage girls, the dog-eat-dog nature of the fashion industry, and the desire for older men to prey on younger—often underage—girls suddenly becomes an almost misogynistic parody of cannibalistic rejects which includes a make-up artist that *********es to a corpse and baths in the blood of a girl who she attempted to molest.

Also,
did anyone else get a Possession (1981) vibe from Ruby's moonlight scene with the blood/liquid flowing out of her vagina?

I saw it again last night and didn't connected like the first, i just didn't got in it, even though i saw some new symbolism and triangles (lots of them). I mean it's a movie you really have to be in the mood for it and the room and the people with you play a big role i think.

If someone want to share some symbolism they catch i share mine, so some SPOILER after now.

Three girls for the triforce and Jesse is in the middle, we can see this in the show scene where she goes from blue to red and where she was horrified of te three other reflections (three girls can be seen as part of her) she now accept and kisses them.

So there was color symbolism i gues green were people who care about her, purple were already tainted innocence with a sexual desire (the jaguar scene take place after she met with the boy and has that dress).

Three times they are clear shot of flowers: one flower on the desk in the interview when she was to do her walk, then the boy come to her and give her a bouquet of flower and she finaaly is burried in the roses.

The movie can be seen as a metaphor of a girl discovering her body and having sex, menstruation and even giving birth. It is the passage, in ritual, from innocence to the narcissique conscioucness. You could also say she choose a personnality from the three.

At the end when ruby has blood coming of her in the moonlight it can represent birth, the girl vomiting her eye (moon) and cutting her stomach open are also symbolism for that. As for the last i actually would have like her to make the eye in her mouth visible, like she would have a third eye but in her mouth, that would have been one more triangle. The last scene also takes place in front of a pool full (again czn symbolize pregnancy), and close to the sea.

The colors and composition of the shot and the movement of colors, all is really worked really precise but i didn't get to give it a meaning, i thought we pass from blue to red, the moon goes from right to left, so it might just be coherence and sub text for the emotion of character and global evolution.

Refn give all those little elements and it his for the viewer to mzke his movie and total interpretation. So it's a very active movie, you really have to think and it is also a sensorial experience so if your in the right mood it can be an amazing cinema experience...as it can be boring.

Last edited:
ApophènX;33875439 said:
I saw it again last night and didn't connected like the first, i just didn't got in it, even though i saw some new symbolism and triangles (lots of them). I mean it's a movie you really have to be in the mood for it and the room and the people with you play a big role i think.

If someone want to share some symbolism they catch i share mine, so some SPOILER after now.

Three girls for the triforce and Jesse is in the middle, we can see this in the show scene where she goes from blue to red and where she was horrified of te three other reflections (three girls can be seen as part of her) she now accept and kisses them.

So there was color symbolism i gues green were people who care about her, purple were already tainted innocence with a sexual desire (the jaguar scene take place after she met with the boy and has that dress).

Three times they are clear shot of flowers: one flower on the desk in the interview when she was to do her walk, then the boy come to her and give her a bouquet of flower and she finaaly is burried in the roses.

The movie can be seen as a metaphor of a girl discovering her body and having sex, menstruation and even giving birth. It is the passage, in ritual, from innocence to the narcissique conscioucness. You could also say she choose a personnality from the three.

At the end when ruby has blood coming of her in the moonlight it can represent birth, the girl vomiting her eye (moon) and cutting her stomach open are also symbolism for that. As for the last i actually would have like her to make the eye in her mouth visible, like she would have a third eye but in her mouth, that would have been one more triangle. The last scene also takes place in front of a pool full (again czn symbolize pregnancy), and close to the sea.

The colors and composition of the shot and the movement of colors, all is really worked really precise but i didn't get to give it a meaning, i thought we pass from blue to red, the moon goes from right to left, so it might just be coherence and sub text for the emotion of character and global evolution.

Refn give all those little elements and it his for the viewer to mzke his movie and total interpretation. So it's a very active movie, you really have to think and it is also a sensorial experience so if your in the right mood it can be an amazing cinema experience...as it can be boring.

You actually have to cover this stuff with the spoiler tags, man. Not just say spoiler.

Just some quick thoughts of the movie which I caught last night.

Refn did the movie has he went, he changed things on his inspiration and spontaneous revelations. He stated in interview he like to not know where he goes.

I saw it as perspective on the projection process. The audience identify to Jesse "everybody wants to be me" and Ruby *********e on a dead body representing her, it can represent the cold relation viewer have with what's on the screen. As there projection is now the on of ruby: a dead body. I think that rises the disgusting feelings this scene can causes

I did Terry i learned something today! Yeah

Last edited:
ApophènX;33875505 said:

Refn did the movie has he went, he changed things on his inspiration and spontaneous revelations. He stated in interview he like to not know where he goes.

I saw it as perspective on the projection process. The audience identify to Jesse "everybody wants to be me" and Ruby *********e on a dead body representing her, it can represent the cold relation viewer have with what's on the screen. As there projection is now the on of ruby: a dead body. I think that rises the disgusting feelings this scene can causes

I did Terry i learned something today! Yeah

And that's one the problems I have with Refn. He doesn't really have an logical explanation for why he does things other than to provoke his audience with a feeling of shock and discomfort.

Just watched a red band trailer for this that I hadn't seen before. I had no idea Keanu Reeves was in this.

And that's one the problems I have with Refn. He doesn't really have an logical explanation for why he does things other than to provoke his audience with a feeling of shock and discomfort.

Well yes it has but he doesn't tell you with words, he gives you inch and clues and you make your own view of the film. Wich enhance the discomfort since your put through your really subjectiv view, you connect more personnaly and face your representation of it (your ego and the film is about that).

But i'm sure it takes a lot of pleasure to do so, no doubt but you don't see a director like him all the time, i'm really happy he exist. Someone that is open out egocentric and make a movie about narcissism. But i won't say there is no explanation, i take out the word rational wich is very reductive. That he doesn't have it plot out full from the beggining doesn't mean it doesn't have a meaning, quiet the opposite in fact, it's just a different approach of the writing process, it's called improvisation, relying on instinct, again fitting the movie well.

OGF was about a man loosing power and he link this with very sexual content, it's normal it creates a reject from the audience, it's the goal, being put in front of the repressed. Wich is a goal in itself for that matter and a good one in a world of safety and comfort where we only experience the horror of our minds through a screen

ApophènX;33875983 said:
Well yes it has but he doesn't tell you with words, he gives you inch and clues and you make your own view of the film. Wich enhance the discomfort since your put through your really subjectiv view, you connect more personnaly and face your representation of it (your ego and the film is about that).

But i'm sure it takes a lot of pleasure to do so, no doubt but you don't see a director like him all the time, i'm really happy he exist. Someone that is open out egocentric and make a movie about narcissism. But i won't say there is no explanation, i take out the word rational wich is very reductive. That he doesn't have it plot out full from the beggining doesn't mean it doesn't have a meaning, quiet the opposite in fact, it's just a different approach of the writing process, it's called improvisation, relying on instinct, again fitting the movie well.

OGF was about a man loosing power and he link this with very sexual content, it's normal it creates a reject from the audience, it's the goal, being put in front of the repressed. Wich is a goal in itself for that matter and a good one in a world of safety and comfort where we only experience the horror of our minds through a screen

I love Refn's films (Valhalla Rising is probably my favorite) so I understand his desire for underlining meanings and overt themes that don't necessarily need to be written out for the audience. But there's a point, which Refn has admitted, that some stuff he decides to put in his films don't have any meaning other than shock value. The issue I have with TND is that all of the characters feel like archetypes instead of flushed out three dimensional individuals--besides Jessie. So when the third act comes around and it becomes almost completely metaphorical when everything prior was pretty straightforward, it just seems lazy.

Valhalla rising is my favourite too, i would have loved to see it in cinema.

I understand your point,mostly since my second viewing yesterday, the first time i felt that the three girls were archetypes and different representation of Jesse's personnality, that's how i interpreted the triforce. Enhanced by the fact we don't see many people in ht emovie apart them,iot really feel like she's alone with herself and different side of her personna. The third act was great for me, with eye and the moon, i thought it was about birth and ended the search for sexuality. So it didnt' feel lazy but mostly because i was really invested in it.

And something i noiced the second time is the use of the red light projectors and the two blue eyes in the pool that looked like the ones Ruby draw in the mirror, wich could symbolize the two breast and the belly where she will cut herself (so birth again)

ApophènX;33876251 said:
And something i noiced the second time is the use of the red light projectors and the two blue eyes in the pool that looked like the ones Ruby draw in the mirror, wich could symbolize the two breast and the belly where she will cut herself (so birth again)

The lighting for this film, in general, was absolutely stunning. When Ruby is drawing on the mirror and the background suddenly shifts :hmr:

But the club scene, at the beginning, especially reminded me of Suspiria more than anything else besides the blue at the very end.

I have yet to see Surprisa but the photogrpahy was indeed fabulous with lots of different shade/environnement and all had a very special feel'to them. Jesse appartement felt like a little worm shelter with the corn/plants motifs on the wall and the orange color.

Also one thing i notice is Ruby make Jesse an angel with the make up and in the scene at her house after the shower there is an angel in the background.

Jesse also seem to have somthing about breathing since the first shot has her throat bleeding, Keanu in her dream, and she has an habbit of focusing on her breath alot.

I also like how, it seems, they passes these animal feeling beetwen the character, in the first scene the boy has a look, then the girl in the bathroom after the interview, and then in Ruby's frame in her appartement. I like all those little details that gives hint on the character or you can make what you want with them.

Also Refn said he originally wanted to do a movie in Tokyo and i want to see that, with the color work he does it's gonna be delicious.

Didn't even notice the angel bit, but I picked up on the three animals: puma in Jesse's room, the stuffed leopard and wolf in Ruby's mansion.

Also there was a necklace that seems to go from character to character but i don't remember that well to be sure.

Just wondering if it's true that the Ruby/Jesse hookup scene in the trailer isn't in the movie. Jesse basically shuts it down immediately?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"