The Neon Demon

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
"Drive" Helmer Takes On A "Neon Demon"

By Garth Franklin Monday November 3rd 2014 09:50AM
Following their collaboration on "Only God Forgives," Gaumont and Wild Bunch are set to re-team with "Drive" helmer Nicolas Winding Refn for the upcoming horror film "The Neon Demon".
Refn and Mary Laws penned the script which is set in Los Angeles and deals with a "vicious beauty". The female lead star will be announced shortly with further cast members to be unveiled later this year.
Shooting is slated to begin in Los Angeles in the first quarter of next year ahead of a 2016 release. Gaumont and Wild Bunch will co-finance and co-distribute.
Source: Screen

"Drive" Helmer Takes On A "Neon Demon"

By Garth Franklin Monday November 3rd 2014 09:50AM
Following their collaboration on "Only God Forgives," Gaumont and Wild Bunch are set to re-team with "Drive" helmer Nicolas Winding Refn for the upcoming horror film "The Neon Demon".
Refn and Mary Laws penned the script which is set in Los Angeles and deals with a "vicious beauty". The female lead star will be announced shortly with further cast members to be unveiled later this year.
Shooting is slated to begin in Los Angeles in the first quarter of next year ahead of a 2016 release. Gaumont and Wild Bunch will co-finance and co-distribute.
Source: Screen

Carey Mulligan cast in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....

I can't wait. :oldrazz:

Teaser Poster.

vBIqpYC.jpg

Loved Drive. Hated Only God Forgives.

But I'm intrigued by the premise so I will definitely be checking it out.

Loved Drive. Hated Only God Forgives.

But I'm intrigued by the premise so I will definitely be checking it out.

I hated Only God Forgives until I drank a special tea.

It works if you see it as the other face to Drive. The same character on a different path. Drive was a fairy tale dream. Only God Forgives was the nightmare of that same dream.

To be fair on Only God Forgives, the production was a disaster. I think there's even a documentary that was filmed by Winding's wife and show how he going through this personal hell, and Only God Forgives was the result of it.

It seemed like Nick Winding Refn was intentionally trying to make Only God Forgives the anthesis of Drive. While Drive was cool, accessible and well liked, Nick wanted the opposite. I guess he didn't want his career to be defined by Drive, but sometimes that's out of the artist's hands when it goes public.

I hated Only God Forgives until I drank a special tea.

It works if you see it as the other face to Drive. The same character on a different path. Drive was a fairy tale dream. Only God Forgives was the nightmare of that same dream.

Yeah, while both of Gosling's charters were the quiet type they're complete opposites.

Driver was calculating and noble; Gosling's character in Only God Forgives was a coward and nearly incompetent. Couldn't even beat up that Thai cop. Dare I say he was mentally challenged too.

Remember guys to check his movies pre-Drive! Bronson, Fear X, Pusher trilogy, the Pusher trilogy! ;)

Much hype for me on this film.

The Pusher trilogy was amazing. Along with Bronson. Too bad he had a falling out with Tom Hardy though.*

*It steamed from the writing credits for Bronson, in which Hardy helped with but never got credited.

i'm excited and i'm excited that it's a female lead. ScarJo would be too obvious, right?

Drive felt like the announcement of a major talent to me. i mean, some others would point at Pusher or Bronson or Valhalla Rising, but for me Drive was when Refn's considerable potential clicked in a major, major way.

Only God Forgives is an aesthetically accomplished Kubrick rip-off but that very derivative aspect of it along with it being so unpleasant and ultimately kind of hollow keeps me from wanting to revisit it.

WKW's The Grandmaster is a gorgeous film, can't wait to see what the DP from that and Refn can do together and with material that would seem a bit of a change of pace for Refn.

Only God Forgives struck me as a case of "you're really trying too hard with this one." Plus it was just kind of a slog to sit through. As for this movie, yes Johansson's name popped into my head right away. I think that Julianne Moore could be a good choice as well.

I kind of liked only god forgives, granted, I looked up what it was supposed to be about before watching it so I "got" what Refn was going for. It wasn't executed well but I liked what he was trying to convey.

To be fair on Only God Forgives, the production was a disaster. I think there's even a documentary that was filmed by Winding's wife and show how he going through this personal hell, and Only God Forgives was the result of it.

It seemed like Nick Winding Refn was intentionally trying to make Only God Forgives the anthesis of Drive. While Drive was cool, accessible and well liked, Nick wanted the opposite. I guess he didn't want his career to be defined by Drive, but sometimes that's out of the artist's hands when it goes public.

I've never heard that. In fact a major reason why he filmed in Thailand was that he had vacationed there several times and wanted to return. Weird.

Elle Fanning will star on this. :up:

http://www.thewrap.com/elle-fanning...ding-refns-horror-movie-neon-demon-exclusive/

Written by Refn and newcomer Mary Laws, “Neon Demon” is a female-driven horror film that the director’s longtime producing partner Lene Borglum will produce via their Space Rocket banner.

Fanning will play an aspiring model who is caught in a world of beauty and demise.

“Elle Fanning is a super cool wonder woman and I look forward to going on a terrifying trip with her into ‘The Neon Demon,’” said Refn, the acclaimed director of the “Pusher” trilogy.

Australian actress and supermodel Abbey Lee is set to take a leading role opposite Elle Fanning (The Boxtrolls, Maleficent) in The Neon Demon, an upcoming horror thriller from Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Only God Forgives). According to Deadline, Lee will play Sarah, the ringleader of a group of young female ne’er do wells.
“One morning I woke and realized I was both surrounded and dominated by women,” Refn said of the project when it was first announced. “Strangely, a sudden urge was planted in me to make a horror film about vicious beauty. After making ‘Drive’ and falling madly in love with the electricity of Los Angeles, I knew I had to return to tell the story of ‘The Neon Demon.’ This movie is a manifestation of the strong ties between us and will lead to many more adventures.”
Lee can be seen coming up in George Miller’s long awaited Mad Max: Fury Road and is also part of the ensemble cast of Alex Proyas’ Gods of Egypt, on track for a February 12, 2016 release.
Refn co-wrote the screenplay for The Neon Demon with newcomer Mary Laws and plans to shoot this March for a 2016 release.

Just learned of this movie very recently. I absolutely love Drive, and like Only God Forgives a lot. Very interesting movie. I'm really looking forward to this.

As production nears, Nicolas Winding Refn continues rounding out his cast for The Neon Demon, the horror tale that’s being co-financed and co-distributed by Gaumont and Wild Bunch. Deadline reported last week that Abbey Lee was the director’s choice to join Elle Fanning in the female-led scarer. Gaumont and Wild Bunch say today that Keanu Reeves, Christina Hendricks, Jena Malone and Bella Heathcote are also aboard. Hendricks and Lee previously teamed with Refn on Drive. Details are sparse on the new folks’ roles, but the director has said Neon Demon would be “a horror film about vicious beauty.” He wrote the screenplay with new talent Mary Laws and shooting starts on March 30 in Los Angeles.

I was curious and kinda looked up on his private life. Goddamn.

The dude went through a lot in a short period of time. River Phoenix was also his best friend.

Nothing but love for Neo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"