The new Monopoly: It's round and cash-free

Raiden

Wakanda Forever
Reaction score
New Monopoly Board: Credit Cards Replace Money, Boards Get Circular In 'Revolutions'

Cash may be king in some households, but we are a society that increasingly prefers plastic to paper money. So it seemed inevitable that the 75th-anniversary edition of Monopoly, which will debut in stores this year, will be cashless -- no funny money.

The Huffington Post reported that “instead of pastel-colored paper money, little real estate magnates will gobble up house and hotel pieces with credit cards.” The metal tokens -- the race car is always our choice -- will be replaced with plastic tabs, and the game board itself will be round. (The best photo we could find is here.)

Is this welcome progress or change we don’t need? The Huffington Post polled its readers:

Fewer than 10%, last time we checked, said it’s an improvement over the regular game. Almost 35% picked “I’ll have to try it first,” and just shy of 56% voted in favor of the paper-money version with its “outdated graphics.” (That choice got our vote.) What’s next, one reader said, a redesign of chess?

New editions of Monopoly are nothing new. A debit card version first appeared in the middle of the last decade. That electronic-banking Monopoly also featured higher property values and modern tokens, including a flat-screen TV.

And once the newest rendition, called Monopoly Revolution, appears, the old style will continue to be available, too.

That's good. Just as in real life, commentators observed, cash comes in handy when you're playing the game. Among the objections to a cash-free Monopoly:

How can you steal money from the bank when no one’s looking? (We would never do that!)
“Does it still allow for loans and side transactions?” one reader of Gizmodo asked. Or how would you go about putting all fines in the middle of the board and awarding that pot to the next person who hits "Free Parking"?
What will replace the satisfaction -- and bragging rights -- you get from accumulating a big wad of bills? “There is a lot of fun involved in counting those fake paper currencies. I just love it when I hold a bundle of them in my hands and count them all together,” Robert wrote at Trends Updates.
If you really want to modernize the game, a Gizmodo reader said, update the Chance and Community Chest cards with messages like "Your government has decided to give you $200. Spend it and increase the economy!" or "Bernie Madoff stole your money. Lose $300."

Along the same lines, a Huffington Post reader suggested that a truly modern version of Monopoly wouldn’t be much of a game at all. The banker would always win: “In the middle of the game, the credit cards all go to 29.99% and suck all the money out of the system.”

What do you think? Is a round and cash-free Monopoly acceptable, or is the old-fashioned version more to your liking?

What do you guys think about a credit card-based monetary system and a circular board in the new Monopoly?

I like the paper money....I like to see someone sitting there forlorn with just one pink 5 and all they own is a railroad

Half the fun was accumulating loads of cash and flaunting it over everyone else. "Look at how much is on my card!" just doesn't do it for me.

It was also a great way to teach children math.

And the rectangular board is better because all the Free Parking cash could go in the middle (if you played that way) and I would tuck the edge of my cash under my side of the board so the stacks couldn't get knocked around.

I'm not sure how I feel about the 'new' version yet...it just doesn't seem like Monopoly to me...

I'm not sure how I feel about the 'new' version yet...it just doesn't seem like Monopoly to me...

That was basically my thought when I first read the title

Ugh, credit cards? How unappealing.

"The metal tokens -- the race car is always our choice -- will be replaced with plastic tabs"

*near faint*
No more fighting over the race car or top hat, and forcing the youngest kid there to take the thimble?! MADNESS!!

has anyone tried monopoly deal? its much better than what this new one is

Ugh, credit cards? How unappealing.

"The metal tokens -- the race car is always our choice -- will be replaced with plastic tabs"

*near faint*
No more fighting over the race car or top hat, and forcing the youngest kid there to take the thimble?! MADNESS!!

**** that ****. I'll keep a race car in my pocket in case I ever have to play this version.

i like the old one...this one,not so much

Paper money was a huge part of the fun. You can't just get rid of something important like that. That's like taking the chocolate chips from cookies. Who the hell wants to play with credit? It's a damn game for goodness sakes. Bring back the fake money!

As Wieg said, paper money was always a great way to teach kids about money and math...you can't do that with a debit card.

Monopoly with no paper money? No thanks.

Not that I care too deeply. I don't like Monopoly much anyway.

what about Monopoly Deal?

a26r9k.jpg

Whatever. The only board game that matters is Risk.

You know, I imagine switching to credit cards might make it a little difficult to... negotiate your way around these games. You know, like when you loan another player about $100 under the condition they pay you back the next time they pass Go. And maybe they have to give you an extra $20 in interest as well.

Come on, I know my family wasn't the only bunch of people who bent the rules of Monopoly. Anyone else ever buy Park Place just to spite the guy who already owned Boardwalk, and you had to make some sort of special arrangement like co-owning Park Place or only selling them the property if you get free passage through it? Ah, those were the days.

Oh, Hype Server. You're incorrigible.

You must not speak blasphemy Katie. I don't want you to end up on the wrong side of the gods.:oldrazz:

i like paper money better...

and in the original you feel more like you own a (square) property rather than a small inch part of a pie lol

and i serrrrrriously do not want to hear beyonce sing

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"