Woman Stabbed Boyfriend Over Alleged Monopoly Cheating

Donut

Avenger
Reaction score
Laura Chavez, 60, of Santa Fe, N.M., is accused of repeatedly stabbing her boyfriend, Clyde “Butch” Smith, 48, when a family game of Monopoly went terribly awry.

Chavez began to argue with Smith while playing the board game with her 10-year-old grandson. The boy told police that Chavez accused Smith of cheating at Monopoly, and then sent the boy to bed around 11 p.m. mid-argument.

According to a probable cause statement released by police, the couple’s argument escalated until Chavez hit Smith over the head with a glass bottle, then grabbed a knife and began to cut him on his head, neck, face, arms and hand.

Chavez’s grandson slept through the physical altercation, waking up when police arrived in his bedroom, according to the statement.

Police said Smith was in stable condition at St. Vincent’s Hospital, where he was taken by ambulance after the attack. Doctors told police Smith was “very intoxicated” when he arrived. Police said Chavez’s apartment was covered in blood from the assault.

Chavez was held on a $5,000 bond.

This Monopoly-inspired attack is not the first incident of board game rage. In September, a Florida man allegedly choked his wife over a game of Yahtzee, and in 2009 a Michigan man went to jail for assaulting his Monopoly foe when she would not give up Park Place and the Boardwalk.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...over-alleged-monopoly-cheating-165913443.html

Go Directly to Jail. Do Not Pass 'Go.' Do Not Collect $200.

Damn. I guess she was ticked he had gotten all four railroads, and wouldn't sell her Boardwalk.

I guess she'll be wanting to use her "get out of jail" card pretty soon. :o

In Syracuse, N.Y. there was an incident similar to this this past week where a woman fatally stabbed her boyfriend or husband over an argument started by playing a game together. What is wrong with people!? I had a giant enemy crab defeat me on Freedom Unite and I didn't have a poopy pants temper fit about it. I just laughed at it instead. Heck, I was busting a gut playing that QWOP game and posting scores in the negative range.

Don't play anymore board games.It's hazardous to your health.

Too true. During what I thought was a friendly game, I sunk my friend's Battleship several years ago, and he tried to strangle me.

Sounds like he was trying to sink your Battleships for good!

What is it you have to get when rolling the dice to get out of jail again?

If you cheat at Monopoly while playing with a grandmother, you should expect to be stabbed.

Monopoly is boring without cheating.

Actually, Monopoly is boring.

This is why I always try to lose whenever I play with an aggressive gamer.

I almost got stabbed over a game of Monopoly once. It's weird how it does that to people.

I too want to read the article and then make some joke or game board reference followed by leaving the thread to read something else. Instead, I'll ask whatever happened to Monopoly Jr.? Loved that game as a child. Got to own my own amusement park :o

That's just weird. The worst I've ever seen is the Monopoly board getting flipped over because someone was mad they were losing. I actually have fun when I lose. One time my nephew and I were playing and he won by just a few dollars. Those that want to commit murder because of losing need to be locked up in an asylum and given medication.

He's 48, she's 60.... He's probably been freeloading off of her and that was the final straw!! :cmad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"