The Northern & Southern hemisphere Rugby union thread (6 Nations,Super Rugby,sevens)

Do they have leagues in their own countries?

Yep, and many have been going on for decades.

Russia has a pro league.
Romania has a Pro league (more or less pro, but it's more like a part time wage).
Germany's league is mostly amateur but hand full of clubs are professional, there are around 20 teams in the Rugby Bundesliga I believe.
Spain's and Portugal's Leagues are semi-professional.
Georgian league is amateur but the game is well supported and more of the top players play in France. They are very much to Europe what Argentina is to South America.

Oh good to know. I don't really watch club rugby union much, watch more club rugby league but if these countries have the infrastructure of their own league they can hopefully keep improving.

Ireland England on. They take a 3 point lead and almost followed up with a try straight after (stopped just short of the line). Serious pressure still on. 5 metre scrum.

Ireland scored 3 from that earlier pressure. They both then got 3s to make it 6-3 before England missed a penalty.

Another penalty gives Ireland a 9-3 lead

Ireland (Robbie Henshaw) get the first try of the game giving them a 19-3 lead vs England

England get a penalty and close the gap, score now 19-6

FlusteredAjarHylaeosaurus.gif

19-9 now. Need to get the gap down to one score.

England slowly getting back into this within the final 10min of this game (19-9)

Looking too late now, less than 4 minutes left. If it was 14 I'd fancy them getting level.

Oh I thought England had gotten a try. Doesn't matter now game over. Congrats Ireland. Maybe the Championship is alive for England even if the Grand Slam is gone.

holy crap I had no idea Italy beat Scotland

Yep, I missed that game too. Looks like Scotland get the wooden spoon this year.

2019 Rugby World Cup venues have been announced.

Tokyo National Stadium - 80,000
Yokahama International Stadium - 72,000
Shizukoa Stadium - 51,000
Toyota Stadium - 45,000
Sapporo Stadium - 41,000
Hanazano Stadium, Osaka - 40,000
Oita Stadium - 40,000
Kobe City Misaki Park - 34,000
Umakana Yokana Stadium, Kumamoto - 32,000
Kumagaya Rugby Stadium - 24,000
Level 5 Stadium, Fukuoka - 22,000
Kamaishi Stadium - 15,000

I wonder how popular rugby will be there.

World Cup may be expanded to 24 teams in 2023. Via BBC.co.uk.

World Rugby boss Brett Gosper has said a future World Cup could enlarge the number of teams taking part without losing competitiveness.

Both England 2015 and Japan 2019 will have 20 teams, but 2023 may be larger.

Mr Gosper said allowing fringe nations into the event would allow them "to promote the sport in their countries".

"As the sport grows and we conquer new markets the discussion is about looking towards expanding [of the World Cup], rather than contracting," he added.

'Fast growing'
A larger World Cup would offer the chance to sell the sport into new markets, as well as increasing the potential revenues from the tournament in terms of TV deals, sponsorship, hospitality and ticket sales.

He said a larger World Cup would not necessarily mean teams playing more games, as tournament groups - which currently have five teams in them - could be juggled in size.

Mr Gosper said rugby union was growing strongly around the globe, but particularly in the markets of the US, China, India and Mexico, with Russia and Germany also growing nations.

"Rugby is the fastest growing team sport in the USA," Mr Gosper told a Sport Industry Group Breakfast Club gathering of sporting executives in London.

He added that although Germany and Russia also offered potentially huge new TV markets for the sport, 2019 was not considered the right time to expand and bring them in.

Final round Six Nations results from overnight. 27 tries in all were scored with Ireland, England, and Wales all in the mixed to take the title. Ireland won on points difference by a mere 7 points over England and only 10 points over Wales.

England 55 France 35
Wales 61 Italy 20
Ireland 40 Scotland 10

Some interesting facts. It was the biggest total number of points scored in a single round of 6 Nations games, in all 27 tries were scored across the 3 games, Wales scored 47 points against Italy in the second half and it's the first time all three winners scored 40 or more points in a single round of games.

Final table

Screen_Shot_2015_03_22_at_11_59_27_am.png

What is the purpose of Italy and Scotland ? They barely compete and win a game every other year or so.

Just making up the numbers at the moment. Scotland haven't finished higher than 3rd (3 times) in the last 15 years and Italy no higher than 4th (twice). It's been a four way battle for the last 15 years. Only twice in 15 years have teams other than Scotland or Italy finished bottom of the table.

They should have a play off system say next year whoever finished last will be demoted for the highest ranked none 6 Nations member. Which I presume is Georgia. Give them a chance to compete and get their play level up to a higher standard.

Sadly that's not going to happen, purely for the reason that Georgia, as good as they are now, is not a country that brings a lot to the table financially, neither does Romania. You can bet your house on it if it were Spain or Germany knocking on the door it would be a different story. 6 Nations is unfortunately a closed shop.

So... there's going to be an Argentinian team in Super Rugby next year...

Discuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"