The Northern & Southern hemisphere Rugby union thread (6 Nations,Super Rugby,sevens)

Whether that's a good move or not for the competition is one thing but it's good overall for Argentina. They are also taking the bull by the horns with North and South America. Word has it the Argentina Rugby Union are in negotiations with the Canadian, USA, Chilean, Uruguayan and Brazilian Rugby Unions to put together a 6 Nations style tournament in the Americas. It will run concurrently with the European 6 Nations in order for all those nations to have access to their overseas pro players. If a TV deal gets done it could potentially start a massive change in both continents by bringing more professionalism to the region. World Rugby currently has both Brazil and Mexico earmarked as important markets they are targeting and a 6 Nations style competition could really get things rolling there.

I quite like Argentina in the 4 nations with RSA/AUST/NZ. Frankly they'd demolish everyone in the Americas every year (Mexico AND Brazil would make it closer than either/or as well as Argentina), but it's good to here someone getting proactive with rugby in that region.

So... there's going to be an Argentinian team in Super Rugby next year...

Discuss.

I also see that Japan is also going to have a team in the Super Rugby Tournament as well,Im looking forward to Argentina having its first professional club Rugby team ( I believe that the Argentine Captain Agustín Creevy has chosen to captain the new team next season)

I quite like Argentina in the 4 nations with RSA/AUST/NZ. Frankly they'd demolish everyone in the Americas every year (Mexico AND Brazil would make it closer than either/or as well as Argentina), but it's good to here someone getting proactive with rugby in that region.

It would effectively be a 'B' team as most of the first choice players will be in Super Rugby during that period, but the Argentine Union is smelling the money that's on offer in that part of the world. The rugby market in the USA and Canada is growing and Brazil has all the potential in the world to ignite with Sevens inclusion at the Rio Olympics. If Argentina become leaders in that region it could really transform the game in that part of the world. I think their Super Rugby team is also going to perform pretty well granted they can deal with the travel issues. The main person behind the push is former captain Agustin Pichot, he's really pushing to get Argentina to be not only one of the leaders in the game globally, he wants to see the Pumas lift the World Cup trophy in the not too distant future. A good TV deal from this new proposed tournament could do a lot to achieve that.

I could see their Super 15 (or whatever it becomes known as) club being around .500 in their first season since it's incredibly hard to go play in Argentina and I could see their home ground becoming a veritable fortress like an Eden Park.

Don't know how well they'll adjust to the pace... but they're good at making teams play at their tempo and really making teams work.

A mid-table finish for them in their first season would be a good result IMO. For the Japan team anything better than last would be good.

A mid-table finish for them in their first season would be a good result IMO. For the Japan team anything better than last would be good.

Agreed on both counts. A "great" result for the Argentinian team would be playoff contention. Not necessarily making it, but being one of the teams where you're sizing your chances up and looking at your bonus points. "Good" would be middle of the field.

Pan American 6 Nations are moving ahead in 2016. Argentina, USA, Canada, Uruguay, Chile and Brazil will all play in a tournament based off the same 6 Nations concept in Europe, during the exact time time window to take advantage of regulation 9 requiring all clubs to release players for international duties. This is big news for the region.

What are the odds that Argentina wins the first ten of them?

Wouldn't be at all surprised if they went undefeated for the first 5 or so...

It would be their second string team so they might not dominate so easily. The UAR are looking to sign up to 45 players for full time contracts, half would apply their trade in the new Super Rugby team and the other half I would assume apply their trade in this new tournament. Argentina are looking to build a core foundation built on professionalism, something the country has lacked until now.

Pan American 6 Nations are moving ahead in 2016. Argentina, USA, Canada, Uruguay, Chile and Brazil will all play in a tournament based off the same 6 Nations concept in Europe, during the exact time time window to take advantage of regulation 9 requiring all clubs to release players for international duties. This is big news for the region.

What are the odds that Argentina wins the first ten of them?

Wouldn't be at all surprised if they went undefeated for the first 5 or so...

Bah! Argentina's second XV is probably a level up than the rest of these beginner nations equivalent.

I hope this wont effect Argentina's place in the Rugby Championship tournament.

Unlikely, the Rugby Championship is on pretty stable ground right now as it gives the tournament 2 games a week to sell to broadcasters. Reverting back to a Tri-Nations would bring in less money. Plus Argentina have closed the gap between them and the other teams (at least the Wallabies and Springboks), so it's not like there's a competitive issue. Thing with this Pan Am 6 Nations (or whatever they call it) is there's a lot of potential in the North American and Brazilian markets for money to be made. Rugby is the fastest growing sport in these countries and if this new tournament gets off the ground the flood gates could open within 10 years, and the Tier One nation who is going to benefit the most is Argentina. The North American market is on the cusp of opening up as the All Black found out last year at Soldier Field in Chicago, the Wallabies are also going to play a test at the same venue at the end of August. It's likely more Tier One nations are going to tour both the US and Canada in the coming years, which is awesome to see.

Halftime and Brumbies killing it as they got healthier right at the business end of the season. Joe Tomane with a double by the fifteen minute mark and his hat-trick about ten minutes later (off a dead-start fend no less). Scott Sio closed out the half with a try to send them off 24-6.

Pretty worried about next year with certain guys leaving to go overseas, but if they stay healthy I honestly can't see any reason they can't win it all.

Rugby Championship starts this week!

How James Horwill made the Australian team after this Super 15 season defies belief.

Should be an interesting match. Curious to see how the overseas players fair.

Been pushed forward this year due to the World Cup, and only an abbreviated tournament. Each team will play each other once, plus one additional match that doesn't count towards the final table. So pretty much whoever wins their three games gets the cookies. New Zealand v Argentina tonight. Strange having a test match on a Friday night.

All Blacks looked good last night. 39-18 over Argentina.

All Blacks or South Africa for the World Cup. The only NH country I see with a slight chance is Ireland.

But I'm not too well versed in Union to bet on those. What do you think mate?

via https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spo...ain-venue-for-the-2019-rugby-world-cup-q02081

In not so good news for the 2019 world cup:

Japan forced to find a new main venue for the 2019 Rugby World Cup
Japan scrapped the design of the stadium which was planed to be use for both the 2020 Olympics and the 2019 Rugby World Cup because of soaring costs and said it will reopen bidding for a new plan.

"We have decided to go back to the start on the Tokyo Olympics-Paralympics stadium plan, and start over from zero," Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told reporters after a meeting with Yoshiro Mori, chairman of the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee. "The cost has ballooned just too much."

The government has been under mounting criticism as the estimated cost of the new National Stadium rose to 252 billion yen ($3 billion NZD), nearly twice as much as the initial estimate of 130 billion yen.
The Tokyo 2020 organizing committee said it respected Abe's decision, but "we would like to ensure that the construction of the stadium is completed in time for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games." The committee said it will work closely with the government to make sure the review does not "adversely affect" the event.

The huge cost of the stadium went against the International Olympic Committee's "Olympic Agenda 2020" reform program, which seeks to make the games less expensive and ensure long-term use of venues.
John Coates, head of the IOC coordination commission for the Tokyo Games, said the Japanese government was in the position to decide on the project.

"We take note of the decision by Prime Minister Abe to review the design plan and to look for a feasible solution that will offer a state of the art stadium with top level conditions for athletes and spectators," Coates said in an IOC statement. "We understand that the review of the stadium will not affect its delivery for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, and we will work with the Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee to ensure that what is needed for the games is delivered in the revised plan."

Abe said the stadium won't be completed in time for the 2019 Rugby World Cup, the first in Asia.

The new 80,000-seat stadium had been scheduled to serve as the showpiece venue for the rugby tournament, hosting the opening game, semifinals and final.

World Rugby, the sport's international governing body, said it was "extremely disappointed" because Japan has repeatedly assured the stadium would be ready for 2019. The organization is seeking detailed clarification from the Japanese organizing committee and will consider the options of the impact of Friday's announcement.

The leading candidate for an alternate main venue is the 72,000-seat International Stadium in Yokohama, just south of Tokyo. The stadium, which hosted the 2002 soccer World Cup final, was one of 11 other venues selected for the 2019 tournament.

Construction was scheduled to start in October on the bicycle helmet looking stadium.

The latest cost estimate was a sharp increase from a 163 billion yen estimate last year. It would have been the world's most expensive sports stadium, surpassing the $1.6 billion MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.

Quite the screw up by the stadium designers.

All Blacks or South Africa for the World Cup. The only NH country I see with a slight chance is Ireland.

But I'm not too well versed in Union to bet on those. What do you think mate?

I think if memory serves me right the AB's and South Africa will be on the same side of the draw should they finish top of their respective pools, meaning they'll potentially clash in the semi-final, winner of that I think will win the cup. Ireland I think is the best shot for the NH, they seem to be in a bit of a golden period right now, were unlucky to lose the the All Blacks last time they played.

Australia wins the Rugby Championship over New Zealand 27-19!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"