First Avenger The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved Craig's Armstrong main theme for Incredible Hulk. For me, that is the most memorable theme of any of the Marvel Studio films thus far, though Cap's is pretty good.

[YT]1oiG8KmKpqo&feature=related[/YT]

Agreed, I love Hulks score.

I'm in the minority but I thought IM's score was really good. It fit really well in every scene. Standalone, not so much. I didn't like IM2's score because it felt like Batman Returns music.

I loved Craig's Armstrong main theme for Incredible Hulk. For me, that is the most memorable theme of any of the Marvel Studio films thus far, though Cap's is pretty good.

[YT]1oiG8KmKpqo&feature=related[/YT]
Oh yeah, TIH's score was fantastic. There was something very "Universal Monsters" about it that really fit the film and character.

Oh yeah, TIH's score was fantastic. There was something very "Universal Monsters" about it that really fit the film and character.

I agree. That's exactly how I felt. It's always a pleasure to know there are people here too that are actually not clueless about quality film music, and the composers associated with them.

[YT]1oiG8KmKpqo[/YT]

I'm going to level and say that the only reason I dug some of the lines is because of the delivery of them. If it wasn't for that then I would have said that all of the lines came off as being god awful.

That's basically my order, though I'd switch TIH and Thor around.

I might as well after I've bought Thor on Blu-Ray and re-watched it as many times as I have TIH!

Sidenote: Still kinda bumming that Norton won't be back as Banner, though! :csad:

It's just become obvious to me that the time square scene was supposed to be the marvel studio post credit a mace windu fury scene and the original ending was no doubt the kids on the street.

Film would have probably been stronger if left in that state. But the opportunity the avengers trailer presented was just too juicy. I mean they released the trailer this week and if they put it in front of the film it would probably work against the plotting (for the casual audience), so the post position was the obvious choice. And it plays well as far as the business end is concerned.

Still think Whedon's direction had more life in 10secs than the latter 2 thirds of of Johnstons film.

i like how he fell through the window when running, he wasn't used to his speed yet. also he swung his shield at people's faces really fast, i was amazed how fast he actually was with it. the fighting was cool i was hoping to see a couple moves like roth's character did in TIH though. mostly the flip over someone. im so pumped for the avengers now. would be cool to see cap fight the hulk like blonsky, but im still more pumped to see thor fight the hulk.

Since, I'm a little late to the party...

I will say this film was amazing. Just about as good as IM. I was hoping someone could make another "great" Marvel film. IM 2 was too much of something (felt stuffed), Thor was ok, and I didn't like TIH outside of Banner...

And, I want to stress the relationship was by far the best ever in a comicbook film (not including V-Evey).

Just really loved it. Was a fun "war" film. Also, the tiny Steve didn't have any issues to me.

Yea I think Joss will give steve some great moments, he may even put hulk on his ass.

After just wearing a modest Flash shirt during Green Lantern... I decided to go a little more out for Captain America (hey, it is the last film before Avengers:

251575_2282899597036_1385234463_2636783_7450319_n.jpg

Me, after purchasing my tickets for AMERICA!

I realize that the kids with the trash can shield was supposed to be the original ending, but the "I was supposed to have a date" line made the ending a bit more poignant, so I don't mind.

Still think Whedon's direction had more life in 10secs than the latter 2 thirds of of Johnstons film.
Steve hitting the punching bag did a better job of convincingly showing us Caps physical abilities than anything in the movie IMO.

Steve hitting the punching bag did a better job of convincingly showing us Caps physical abilities than anything in the movie IMO.

Cap launched a few hydra agents in the movie don't forget.
Maybe if he lifted the rear end of a car during the chase.

After just wearing a modest Flash shirt during Green Lantern... I decided to go a little more out for Captain America (hey, it is the last film before Avengers:

251575_2282899597036_1385234463_2636783_7450319_n.jpg

Me, after purchasing my tickets for AMERICA!

Hey Where are your Hulk smash gloves to complete the Avengers ensemble ?

Cap launched a few hydra agents in the movie don't forget.
Maybe if he lifted the rear end of a car during the chase.
I know Cap had feats of strength in the movie, and I enjoyed all of them but in the Avengers clip?...it looked like Chris Evans really did that ish.

I don't want to post a lengthy review, but I just saw the movie today and I really enjoyed it.

I was honestly surprised at how emotional I felt during Cap's final scene with Peggy. That whole bit where they're arranging plans to go dancing really got under my skin, pretty heartbreaking.

It's just become obvious to me that the time square scene was supposed to be the marvel studio post credit a mace windu fury scene and the original ending was no doubt the kids on the street.

You're entirely wrong about Whedon's "minute" of film having more life than the entire movie. But that above quote is probably true considering some of my friends helped work on a Cap shoot in New York in April or May which was called "reshoot." I'm guessing it was this.

He's not wrong it's just his opinion. I get alot of flack for thinking that Thor is a pretty average movie and I wouldn't want anybody else to get that even if I completely and totally disagree with them, which I do.

Personally I hope that Avengers is a decent film and I hope that Whedon ups the anti because I felt that Serenity looked like an episode of a T.V show. Right now, he's still a T.V director to me so hopefully his movie actually feels like a movie.

Just got back. Loved it. Easily my favorite comic book movie of the summer, and I honestly liked the rest of them (Thor, X-Men and GL). But Cap took it to another level. I think overall it just flowed a bit better than the others and Evans as Steve Rogers really shined. I also thought Hugo Weaving, Haley Atwell, Tommy Lee Jones, Sebastian Stan, Stanley Tucci, Dominic Cooper and Toby Jones were utilized perfectly. Would have liked to have seen a bit more of the Invaders, but there's only so much time they had. The "Cosmic Cube" plot was a little vague, but I was willing to let that go, since I'm used to world annihilation plots in these movies being a little questionable.

On to The Avengers! Preview looked cool but I'm agree with I SEE SPIDEY on Whedon. He's a TV director right now to me, and not even a great one at that. I thought Buffy was bullsh** and Firefly was lame, but I'm pulling for him to knock this out of the park. He'd better deliver.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this movie, and the more I do, the more I think that it is one of the better films about a Marvel character.
I think I have to see it a 2nd time.

Personally I hope that Avengers is a decent film and I hope that Whedon ups the anti because I felt that Serenity looked like an episode of a T.V show. Right now, he's still a T.V director to me so hopefully his movie actually feels like a movie.

Serenity had a budget of under $40 million dollars and he delivered one of my favorite sci-fi films of all-time. I hadn't even seen an episode of Firefly at that point and I really didn't care about Buffy at all.

The guy is an intelligent and talented director, period. Give him real toys to play with and a talented team around him and I can't wait to see what he does with Avengers. In fact, I honestly can't think of another guy I'd want in charge. Not Spielberg, not anyone else.

^I was eh on Serenity. Not noteworthy at all to me.

Even if you weren't moved by those characters you should watch the film with Joss' director's commentary on if you have the chance. You'll see that he has an intelligence and a pure understanding of direction that will put you at ease about Avengers.

Plus, I love his writing on Astonishing X-Men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"