First Avenger The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things that I liked seeing in regards to the pre serum Steve, was how even though he wasn't strong back then, he still had more common sense than most people, shown evident when he had just unscrewed the flagpole for it to come down instead of having to try and climb it.

Everyone laughed at my theater A LOT seeing Steve just pick it up and nonchalantly say "Sir" to his commander before getting into the car with Peggy.

I'm going to go see the movie again after work on Tuesday. Has anyone figured out what was done to Bucky?

Last edited:
I remember getting excited when i saw the posters for 1990's Captain America plastered all over a construction site.But to my knowledge the flick never made it into a theatre.Years later i watched it on video,and i found out why it never hit the big screen...it was awful!!
I did like the short lived series featuring Reb Brown as Cap

Finally CA gets the big screen treatment he deserves.Chris Evans easily discards the flames of his other Marvel comics big screen character The Human Torch and slips into Caps boots.There is not a second in the film when i dont believe in Evans as the ninety pound,asthmatic(some very seamless CGI),but brave Steve Rogers,or the brawny star spangled,Captain America.
Tommy Lee Jones is great as the gruff ,but willing Colonel Chester Phillips.
Nice turn also by Stanley Tucci as Dr. Abraham Erskine,who believes in the good hearted,Steve Rogers.I liked Hayley Atwell's spirit as Peggy Carter,but the romance between her and Cap never really gets going.
Director Joe Johnston easily puts the look and feel of the World War II era on the big screen as he did with 1991's The Rocketeer.
Die hard by the book CA fans may not like certain alterations to the CA legend,and there are a few corny scenes,Hugo Weaving adds some menace as Johann Schmidt/Red Skull(great make up/mask) but there was definitely not enough rock em sock em fights between him and Cap.
CATFA is an enjoyable adventure with some flaws,another good chapter that will lead to the Avengers finally assembling on the big screen.
Scale of 1-10 an 8

I'm going to go see the movie again after work on Tuesday. Has anyone figured out what was done to Bucky?

Maybe Red Skull was trying to re-create the super soldier serum and tested it on Bucky?

Or maybe memory implants?

Something related to the Winter Soldier. :funny:

Maybe Red Skull was trying to re-create the super soldier serum and tested it on Bucky?

Could be that he was just being interrogated, but I think you're suggestion of trying to re-create the serum is the best idea.

Either way, if they bring him back for the sequel (and they should), it might be smart to tie in whatever was being done to him to his survival and re-emergence as the Winter Soldier.

I loved the movie. :hrt::hrt: It was a great way to do the character, without coming out too cheesy and without making him too much like Ultimate Cap. As a Cap I very very pleased with the movie. My only gripe at first was small, but I got over it the more I thought about it.

Not seeing Cap actually frozen was the only gripe. I was really looking forward to seeing how they were going to handle that. But just showing the shield and having you assume he was there worked for me. I know that it confused alot of my friends that were unaware of his origins. So I had to explain it a few times.

I think the one shot that just blew me away at how Evans looked like Steve from the comics was; right before he went AWOL and was putting on the leather jacket. It was just a great shot and reminded me of a few similar shots in recent comics. And with the mask off, I will say, the USO outfit looked great, especially when Steve is walking down the stairs signing autographs.

I honestly was like a fanboy the entire movie, filled with excitement and joy at how they handled my favorite Marvel character.

I'd say from reading these post that overwhelmingly the fans are very happy with this. I think they made minor changes to make the character work where other attempts had failed but you can tell they kept a lot of touches to try and satisfy fans.
This was a film very respectful to fans IMO. It really was about as good as a Cap movie could be.

this movie was incredible

I just wished they showed more of caps "serum" skill

Loved the movie,that's the way a Cap origin movie should be done,I miss the punch in Hitler's face though...:yay:

Everyone may be "reviewed out" but I'm going to get my $.02 in anyway.

Grade: A-

You can tell that Thor and Captain America were both done at the same time and more in synch than when IM and TIH were done. Now I love TIH, wish it had caught on just saying that Thor and Cap are both high quality and if there is justice will at worst perform the same at the box office.

Captain America opens in the present day with some SHIELD agents answering a call by some Arctic Circle researchers who've stumbled on something BIG. The agents uncover Cap and then we are whisked back to 1942.

The "skinny" Steve part of the movie sells you on the character. They do a really great job of showing why Erskine is going to pick him for the project. Not once was I ever thinking Evans looks off right here. The affect was excellent.

Evans does a great job as Cap/Steve. He really brings out the heart of the character in a way I wasn't sure he could. I knew he could look the part when cast. However, roles like PUSH, Losers and Johnny in FF don't sell you on an actor whose going to pull off the humbleness of Steve Rogers. He does just that, he acts the required part and did it convincingly. Acting, huh, who knew?

Haley Atwell as Peggy Carter is brilliant and looks fine in every scene. Even with her hair wet out on the frontlines. That red dress at the pub though, WOW!! You really do sense the attraction that is there before they really reveal it's there.

Hugo Weaving as Red Skull was fantastic. Skull is a more 1 dimensional bad guy and kudos to Weaving for bringing the flair to the part. He and Evans share 3 scenes that I counted and each one was fun to watch.

Tommy Lee Jones, I guess I expected him to be a glorified cameo but he had a real big part in the film and has some of the best lines really. The one "he's still skinny" is just one of several great lines.

Regarding the foreign markets reaction I can't say unless you just have a predisposed bias against anything you recognize as AMERICAN you'd not like this. If your an action movie fan, a period piece fan then this should be right up your alley. Outside of the USO War Bonds selling moments(where it is intentional propaganda) there isn't anything that screams "AMERICA F&CK Yeah!"

Armin Zola was great as the quirky side kick to Red Skull. Not in the funny "kick him around" type way. In the "there is genius here, don't screw with it" way but the character recognizes Skull's madness and plays along accordingly.

I'll be seeing this again shortly. Can't wait.

What time did you see the movie? I went to the 2D showing at 4:30 p.m. yesterday and about 80% of the theater was empty. I guess people were still at work but I thought there would be more kids and teenagers at that time. There were a lot of people at the Harry Potter shows though.
I was there at 6pm the TWO 2d was 600 & 615 and the 3d was 650

Hmmm, I didn't think of it that way. It'd be nice in a Captain America sequel to find out that he'd been frozen too...I mean, it seemed convenient that he'd been plummeted into a cold, snowy canyon-type area...

I forgot to add that the music was really atrocious as well. It seemed uninspiring and annoying at times and sounded much like the music you hear in pay per view cable network made comedies from early to mid 90's. I'm done.

I forgot to add that the music was really atrocious as well. It seemed uninspiring and annoying at times and sounded much like the music you hear in pay per view cable network made comedies from early to mid 90's. I'm done.

Good.

I wouldn't say atrocious but I will agree with you on this part. The score fell flat and It needed a noticeable theme song like Indy.

He's how much I liked it. When I really like a film, I get depressed when it ends for a little bit afterwards because I loved following the character so much, well, I was depressed for 2 days after seeing Cap.

Oh yeah that was one thing. The score wasnt that good to me either. Not bad just not memorable or something I want to own

The score is a bit melodramatic at times, downright campy if you will, but it works. It's not Williams or Mansell, but it's so preferable to the non existent score in Iron Man or Hulk. I can't even remember Thor's. I can still hum Cap's.

I remember Thor's very well. I even got it. I liked it a lot

I couldn't remember any of the superhero movie scores this year to be honest. I couldn't find one leitmotif (yes im using big words here :p ) in Caps score which I thought it was really needed to make the movie more memorable. Although I did like the USO song they played so I can't completely write off the music for Cap.

For the life of me I don't even begin to comprehend why the Paramount people didn't use a Cap's shield shaped reflection in their logo,the X was always there for the Fox logo,I just thought it would be a nice touch ESPECIALLY in the Paramount logo!Other than that the movie approached perfection for me....

I still think Caps theme is the most recognizable out of all of Marvel's heroes. It's a very hum-able theme.

Yeah it's been stuck in my head for a couple days. I love the Cap March theme from the credits as well as the USO Star Spangled Man song of course...now if only we got a Hydra anthem.

Love the avatar Stringer. Idris is the man.

Walking into the theater I was decked out in Cap attire; Cap shirt (Commander Rogers costume) Cap fossil watch (just the Shield) Cap Belt (Kirby Art) Cap briefs (Shield on the crotch) and for some reason, I had two Cap shield pins that I ended up pinning to my shirt to make it look like I had shield nipples

And then, because that wasn't enough attention, you came here and told everybody.

Yeah it's been stuck in my head for a couple days. I love the Cap March theme from the credits as well as the USO Star Spangled Man song of course...now if only we got a Hydra anthem.

Love the avatar Stringer. Idris is the man.
No doubt!:up:

I'd bet on the re-create the serum theory. Even though it's a bit convenient in terms of plot that they happen to pick Steve Rogers best friend. There might be records and maybe this causes the Russians to find or look for the body but find Bucky alive like Shield found Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"