First Avenger The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Avengers, they're gonna have to find some way to explain how Steve went from a 90 lbs kid with no training (that we see), to waking up as the best hand to hand fighter in the world. I'm sure they will, they just could have made it easier on themselves by throwing in a scene of him training during the montage.

Liked him tossing soldiers over tanks during the movie, but the "super soldier" moment for me was after the credits when he punched the bag clear across the room.

the "super soldier" moment for me was after the credits when he punched the bag clear across the room.

As opposed to chasing down a car, outswimming a submarine, punching through it's window, making 100 foot jumps......?

I completely forgot Thor's score. Superhero movie scores have been lacking lately.

As opposed to chasing down a car, outswimming a submarine, punching through it's window, making 100 foot jumps......?

I don't know if people were watching the same film as some of us here. They clearly showed his super soldier moments. They did it a lot.

Cap's score was way more memorable for me. I couldn't tell you what the other's sounded like (and I saw Thor four times). I've been humming Cap's since the first time I saw it.

Thors score was not memorable for me at all. I dont remember Iron Man's theme either if he had one. I just liked the ACDC songs

I dont thinK IM had one. If it did I dont remember. But yeah THe AC/DC was sick

OK, so I'm a bit late, lol, but here's my thoughts:

8.5/10
I thought this movie was amazing. Visually, emotionally, musically, it was all crafted with technical precision, and I definitely felt that classic film vibe that the filmmakers said they were aiming for. I'm always somewhat skeptical when I hear directors say they want to make a film feel like this, that, or the other thing, but I really believed it here. The Indiana Jones feeling was so strong that I felt like a little kid again for 2 hours. It was fun, well acted, had great action, and an amazingly compelling love story.
The great:
-The entire cast. Chris Evans was a perfectly sympathetic hero, and he made Steve Rogers someone you were really pulling for, more so than Thor or Iron Man. Hayley Atwell was also perfectly cast, and made for a strong leading lady. The radio conversation between them at the end was terribly moving, and honestly got me a little misty-eyed. Sebastian Stan, Stanley Tucci and Tommy Lee Jones also did amazing things with their limited screen time.
-The Visuals. The look of skinny Steve, the special effects, and just the general look of the film, the color palette used, were all remarkable.

The not-as-great:
-Red Skull. While Hugo Weaving did an admirable job, the character was just not fleshed out enough. His motivation was not clearly spelled out, and it's not enough to keep saying "ooh the Red skull's crazy!". He lacked the weight as a nemesis that the best villains like Loki or The Joker bring.
-Bucky's [BLACKOUT]end. I felt that whole scene could've been longer. It just felt so abrupt, they hopped on the train then, BAM, done. I wouldve like to see them go through the whole train, taking out hydra goons before getting seperated, then everything happens. I also think Bucky should've jumped to protect Cap with the shield, but that's a small nitpick.[/BLACKOUT]
-Nazis. Now, I know they were in there, not saying that they weren't. But it might've been nice to see a normal wwII battle between allied soldiers and nazis, even if it was just a brief opening battle, then move on to hydra.

So yeah, all in all, I loved it. I honestly don't know which film I prefer tho...

This or Thor...?
I thought both films were excellent, and I must say this has been a great movie year for Marvel fans.. Make Mine!

Now, the painful wait for May 2012...

Last edited:
Iron Man's theme(from the 1st film) is memorable. Most of the background music is cool but lackluster. So I agree partially.
[YT]I9PhfUsFvj0[/YT]

Thor had a good score imo, better than Iron Man's for sure. I think this piece is very good:
[YT]4QB71syU3RE[/YT]

And Cap had the most memorable score imo. The main theme is hummable and the March theme from the credits is very nostalgic of older Williams pieces and it reminded me of Alan's BTTF days.
[YT]LsO-lttHb8k[/YT]

Those too. There were a bunch, but that one was my favorite, somewhat because it was the simplest and least fantastical. Just Cap punching something...really hard. Authentic.

Last edited:
I loved Craig's Armstrong main theme for Incredible Hulk. For me, that is the most memorable theme of any of the Marvel Studio films thus far, though Cap's is pretty good.

[YT]1oiG8KmKpqo&feature=related[/YT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Cap's theme is easily the most memorable of the MCU so far, imo.

Does anyone know what part of Wagner's Valkyrie was playing during the scene when Red Skull was having his portrait painted? I want to look it up on Youtube and listen to it again.

Just saw it and loved it. Evans was great in the role. Nice to see that he could definitely carry the role. Shaw, Atwell, Jones and Tucci were good as well. I thought the Skull was fine as the villian he just lacked something I cant put my finger on.

After seeing it again yesterday I've raised my my score. I'm firmly in 8.5 out of 10 territory now.

I loved Craig's Armstrong main theme for Incredible Hulk. For me, that is the most memorable theme of any of the Marvel Studio films thus far, though Cap's is pretty good.

[YT]1oiG8KmKpqo&feature=related[/YT]

Yeah, I thought the theme for Hulk was fantastic. Cap's is also solid; Iron Man had a great theme but a weak overall score, and frankly I don't even remember Thor's.

Last edited:
I honestly think IM has the least memorable score of all the Marvel-produced films to date. But I still love it! You can still pick it out during both films when it happens. I absolutely LOVE TIH's score as well as Thor's.

And I think Cap's score is perfect for a 1940s WWII era score. Think back to Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan... It's the all-American horns & snare drums type of theme and it perfectly reflects the hero and the time period. Well done

Yeah. MCU Steve was pretty close in terms of power to 616 Steve. In the movie, he may have been running anywhere from 30 to just under 60mph. (comics Steve has been noted to be able to cover a mile in just over a minute) Strength is pretty obvious in the movie. ( BuckyCap has mentioned that Steve was at least 3 times stronger than he is) also unable to become intoxicated was directly from the books. And I'm assuming MCU Steve was able to "see faster than the bullets" to dodge so many in the flick.
I also like the unspoken power of his mental faculties in the movie. The sheer ability to memorize in perfect detail maps and locations after a quick glance. ( also trajectory calculations for shield tosses and catches)
All in all I'm happy with Cap's power/ability portrayal.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that the music was really atrocious as well. It seemed uninspiring and annoying at times and sounded much like the music you hear in pay per view cable network made comedies from early to mid 90's. I'm done.

Okay. You clearly have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about, that much is a given. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. You're in the minority, fortunately.

The music for this film was terrific, and easily the best Marvel superhero score to date, not to mention in a "long time" as far as grand old-fashioned traditional orchestral scores go.

I find it nothing more than laughable that there are actually people here who have the audacity to call Alan Silvestri's work "atrocious". One of the best action composers in modern film music.

Sit back, and realize what tasteless fools you are:

[YT]4rPoIqWU3GA[/YT]

[YT]rcsQ-cnIm5Q[/YT]

[YT]nm66O75ax_w[/YT]

[YT]KJuws-GFlqY[/YT]

[YT]hTGOs3EYGFg[/YT]

[YT]3jdppauXBcM[/YT]

[YT]DrkguvGFnrE[/YT]

[YT]HsKsaJ78XBQ[/YT]

[YT]HZE75BT03eA[/YT]

[YT]LsO-lttHb8k[/YT]

Last edited:
As a non fan of Captain America (almost indifferent to him), I got to say that I loved Cap! It had a certain charm to it that no other superhero movie has ever had. Chris was fantastic and all of the beats played almost perfectly. I give it a 9/10. Now my Marvel Studios rank:
1. Iron Man
2. Captain America
3. Thor
4. Iron Man 2
5. The Incredible Hulk

After seeing it again yesterday I've raised my my score. I'm firmly in 8.5 out of 10 territory now.

That's great! I'm hoping my wife would want to watch it with me so I can see it a second time. :yay: Btw, maybe you should update your sig to reflect the new score you gave to Cap.

That's great! I'm hoping my wife would want to watch it with me so I can see it a second time. :yay: Btw, maybe you should update your sig to reflect the new score you gave to Cap.
I forgot to, thanks.

As a non fan of Captain America (almost indifferent to him), I got to say that I loved Cap! It had a certain charm to it that no other superhero movie has ever had. Chris was fantastic and all of the beats played almost perfectly. I give it a 9/10.
I don't know much about him either so I can't engage in any of the nit-picking some fans have. And I'm grateful for that to tell you the truth.

My Marvel Studios film rankings thusfar:

1. Captain America: The First Avenger
2. Iron Man
3. The Incredible Hulk
4. Thor
5. Iron Man 2

To be honest though, I'd really have to say that 1 & 2 are tied for 1st place and 3 & 4 are tied for 2nd. I only slightly ranked CA:TFA and TIH higher than the others because I'm a bigger fan of the characters.
IM2 is not AT ALL a bad movie either, but in my opinion the sequel is the weakest of the 5. (not by much though)
Can't wait for The Avengers next year! I hope that it tops them all!

Last edited:
My Marvel Studios film rankings thusfar:

1. Captain America
2. Iron Man
3. The Incredible Hulk
4. Thor
5. Iron Man 2

To be honest though, I'd really have to say that 1 & 2 are tied for 1st place and 3 & 4 are tied for 2nd. I only slightly ranked CA:TFA and TIH higher than the others because that I'm a bigger fan of the characters. IM2 is not a bad movie at all either, but in my opinion is the weakest of the 5.

That's basically my order, though I'd switch TIH and Thor around.

Hard to say what my favorite scene was, but it's probably the one when Cap fought the Hydra soldiers before he let himself get captured. The shield action was tremendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"