The Summer 2011 Clusterf**k

I hate that the title for Captain America is The First Avenger.

By Garth Franklin
Monday, September 29th 2008 9:42am
'Zephyr' here with a quick, but very interesting, release date update:

The recent Disney Showcase confirmed that not only does "Pirates of the Caribbean 4" have the greenlight, but Johnny Depp will be returning to the titular role of Captain Jack Sparrow.

Now it seems Disney has scheduled the film for May 20th 2011 - the weekend before Memorial Day Weekend and two weeks after Marvel Studios' "The First Avenger: Captain America".

However, there is significant doubt over this release date. There appears to be new screenplay in the works and Gore Verbinski is not confirmed to direct and is already attached to both "Rango" due for March 2011, and the video game adaptation "Bioshock".

As well, May 2011 not only has the previously mentioned Captain America, but Spider-Man 4 and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II as well. It is very doubtful that Disney would scheduled their picture to go up against either of those films on Memorial Day Weekend.

However, if this release date pans out, then Disney would force either Sony or Warner Bros. to move their respective films to less saturated months.

I see it playing out like so; or rather, if these films are coming out Summer 2011, the only way it COULD work out:

May 6th - The First Avenger: Captain America
May 20th - Pirates of the Caribbean 4
May 27th - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II
June 3rd - Kung Fu Panda 2
June 10th - Spider-Man 4
June 24th - Cars 2
July 1st - The Avengers
July 15th - Batman Begins 3

You could push Captain America to Friday April 29 just like Iron Man 2 was slotted at the end of April.

APRIL 29 - The First Avenger: Captain America Paramount/Marvel
MAY 6
MAY 13 - Pirates of the Caribbean 4 Disney
MAY 20
MAY 27 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II WB
JUNE 3
JUNE 10 - Kung Fu Panda 2 Dreamworks Animation
JUNE 17
JUNE 24 - The Avengers Paramount/Marvel
JULY 1 - Cars 2 Disney/Pixar
JULY 8 - Spider-Man 4 Sony
JULY 15
JULY 22 - The Dark Knight Triumphant WB
JULY 29
AUGUST 5
AUGUST 12 - A crappy Fox movie
AUGUST 19
AUGUST 26

Looking at it now I doubt WB would have Harry Potter (8) and a TDK sequel in the same summer. They would probably shift TDK to 2012. However another superhero movie such as Green Lantern or Arrow may not find an audience after 3 Marvel movies but a TDK sequel would likely be the movie of the summer.

Add a Apatow comedy, maybe a Ferrell comedy, and a musical.
Usually studios have 3-6 films a summer.

^It would be a dumb move for WB to have Potter and Batman 3 the same summer but two months is far apart for a blockbuster filled summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Potter in the fall in Batman 3 is indeed slotted for summer 2011 but as it stands Potter is the summer king of 2011. Pirates 4 will be hearty competition if it the gears get moving on it. But I also stress that we will likely see Transformers 3 during summer of 2011 as well as a Will Smith movie and more than likely even a Fox X-Men movie such as Magento or a young X-Men spinoff.

its too early to say what will go where in 2011 . there also might be other big releases , sleeper hits and apatow movies that should be considered a factor.

^It would be a dumb move for WB to have Potter and Batman 3 the same summer but two months is far apart for a blockbuster filled summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Potter in the fall in Batman 3 is indeed slotted for summer 2011 but as it stands Potter is the summer king of 2011. Pirates 4 will be hearty competition if it the gears get moving on it. But I also stress that we will likely see Transformers 3 during summer of 2011 as well as a Will Smith movie and more than likely even a Fox X-Men movie such as Magento or a young X-Men spinoff.

WB could have a Terminator sequel in 2011 or the God of War movie.

Remember that the two highest grossing movies of WB have been released in the summer. The last Potter flick and TDK were released in the summer. That's the whole reason why the latest Potter flick was delayed.

Now i don't know if WB might move Potter. They definately won't move TDK.

Remember that the two highest grossing movies of WB have been released in the summer. The last Potter flick and TDK were released in the summer. That's the whole reason why the latest Potter flick was delayed.

Now i don't know if WB might move Potter. They definately won't move TDK.

The first HP-movie is still the highest grossing in the series and that one was released in November

The first HP-movie is still the highest grossing in the series and that one was released in November

Ah my bad :o. I thought that the last Potter flick was the highest grossing WB flick.
But it is true that they have faith in summer release for Potter because of the last one
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37931
"Our reasons for shifting 'Half-Blood Prince' to summer are twofold: we know the summer season is an ideal window for a family tent pole release, as proven by the success of our last Harry Potter film, which is the second-highest grossing film in the franchise, behind only the first installment. Additionally, like every other studio, we are still feeling the repercussions of the writers' strike, which impacted the readiness of scripts for other films--changing the competitive landscape for 2009 and offering new windows of opportunity that we wanted to take advantage of. We agreed the best strategy was to move 'Half-Blood Prince' to July, where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid-summer."

The last POtter flick will be released in 2011 so it'll be hugely anticipated. Ditto with The Dark Knight follow up. With dark knight's immense's success , you just know the movie will be massive.
That's why i think that WB won't move the batman follow up.

Potter might budge and i think that WB would be wise to do that. I'm pretty sure that the movie will be a massive hit but if i were an WB exec. i'd move Potter away. Having 2 movies hitting 400 million in the same year is something very few studios can pull off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"