Xbox The Official Gears of War Thread

Looks like it has Gears Tactics characters.

Tis is very cool!

After completing Halo Infinite I wanted to give another big Xbox IP a try and, even though the first GoW had a PC port back then, I've never played it until now.

The game features the bullet-spongiest enemies I've ever seen. Holy ****... Fortunately it's a short game (finished in 6-8 hours) because I wasn't too impressed overall. Among other things, AI for the squad mates is dumb considering they were pretty useless in most gun fights.

I don't think I'll bother with the other four games, especially since GoW 2 and 3 are not even on Game Pass... However, I'll play Tactics only because it's an XCOM-lite.

Rumours of a Gears of War collection similar to the Master Chief Collection, although it could be a different Microsoft property getting the treatment according to the source of the rumour. They wouldn't commit to which series it was.

After completing Halo Infinite I wanted to give another big Xbox IP a try and, even though the first GoW had a PC port back then, I've never played it until now.

The game features the bullet-spongiest enemies I've ever seen. Holy ****... Fortunately it's a short game (finished in 6-8 hours) because I wasn't too impressed overall. Among other things, AI for the squad mates is dumb considering they were pretty useless in most gun fights.

I don't think I'll bother with the other four games, especially since GoW 2 and 3 are not even on Game Pass... However, I'll play Tactics only because it's an XCOM-lite.
This was one of the games that brought co-op campaign cover shooting to the forefront and is probably best played that way. It's obviously dated now (2006) but was visually great at the time it came out and the gameplay was fresh back then. Gears 2 brought team coop Horde mode which was another phenomenon at the time it came out (my entire friends list was Horde players and I even booted some real life friends temporarily as I needed every slot for the kind of people who were happy to drop in during a great run when we lost someone - one of my best ever gaming experiences and played it pretty much every day for 3 years). Then Gears 3 was when nearly my whole friends list were playing the multiplayer, plus the campaign was 4 player co-op. Even Gears 3 is very old now (2011). They were all a product of their time that inspired many other games but gaming has moved on since, although I do hope the franchise can see a resurgence with Gears 6 after a good gap.

Yeah, I wouldn't give up on the franchise too quickly based on a game that is 15 years old haha It was largely praised at the time for it's difficulty, inventive cover system and integrated co-op.

Later games are fantastic and 5 was excellent. I think the spongey enemies adds to the difficulty for me, that feeling of fighting inhuman monsters. Also adds to the great risk/reward of those instant takesdowns like a chainsaw, yank kills, sniper headshots etc You're not meant to just mow through enemies like other shooters, it's very much about bunkering down behind cover and planning your moves and adapting on the fly when an enemy rolls up on you.

Also I would say, if you're not playing it in co-op, you're missing out on one of the best aspects of the series too. I still think Gears is the gold standard for co-op when it comes to giving players unique characters to assume, instead of generic avatar 1, 2 & 3.

I have no one to play with in couch co-op... :csad:

Besides, I verified and Gears 2 & 3 are not even on PC. So I'll have to either skip them and jump directly into 4 & 5, or play them using an emulator.

4 & 5 are kind of a trilogy reset. It's a continuation of the story but fresh new characters, so works as a jump in point. You could always pick those up, then wait for the inevitable remaster of 1-3.

Alright, I'll give the franchise another try on my next Game Pass subscription.

I have no one to play with in couch co-op... :csad:

Besides, I verified and Gears 2 & 3 are not even on PC. So I'll have to either skip them and jump directly into 4 & 5, or play them using an emulator.
Given the way you felt about 1 after all this time you could just catch the story on youtube to save time if you want and save yourself for Gears 6 to really try and jump in at launch. Doesn't need to be couch-co-op, online co-op with a friend can be really fun too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"