The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

I thought Toy Biz bought Marvel at this time, and that's what got them out of the bankruptcy thing...and gave Avi control of these characters...

that an selling the characters off

All this sudden news coming out of Fox tells me that The Avengers juggernaut has them pissing in their pants. Unfortunately that also means they're going try even harder to hold on to what they got instead of just treading water like they normally do. :cmad:

Right and Toy Biz & Avi Arad licensed out the filming rights to Fox, Sony, & Universal. Despite all the crap Arad gets he is the one that organized these multimedia expansions to prevent Marvel from going into bankruptcy.

Even when the initial buying out of MEG happened they still faced some serious financial problems internally.

All this sudden news coming out of Fox tells me that The Avengers juggernaut has them pissing in their pants. Unfortunately that also means they're going try even harder to hold on to what they got instead of just treading water like they normally do. :cmad:

sigh...why would Avengers have Fox pissing in their pants?
This makes no sense.
The reason we are hearing news now is because there is news now.

This makes no sense.

I don't get that either. Maybe they are worried about the time frame to get out a movie, I don't know.

or maybe after so many months and years they finally have something to report

This makes no sense.

Maybe because their failure with DD and F4 is going to be all the more apparent if they let the rights on those properties expire and they end up back up in Marvel Studios, who then turn said properties into successes?

Right... so the director of DD goes on record that there no new updates on the movie and goes so far as to direct a TV pilot because of the snail-paced development, then just as The Avengers' slaughter on the box office commences, suddenly we have new writers and Fox is renewing their option.

Maybe because their failure with DD and F4 is going to be all the more apparent if they let the rights on those properties expire and they end up back up in Marvel Studios, who then turn said properties into successes?

Right... so the director of DD goes on record that there no new updates on the movie and goes so far as to direct a TV pilot because of the snail-paced development, then just as The Avengers' slaughter on the box office commences, suddenly we have new writers and Fox is renewing their option.

i suggest you go into the DD reboot thread. Thats how movies are. One day there is no news and one day a ton of news.

i suggest you go into the DD reboot thread. Thats how movies are. One day there is no news and one day a ton of news.

There's "news" because Fox got spurred to make news. This is reminiscent of when they suddenly announced they were rebooting F4 just as news of Disney buying Marvel broke out. Or WB forming a DCE a week after that.

polls_its_a_conspiracy_5653_43343_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

The way I see it, I think we can almost guarentee that Ghost Rider, Daredevil and Fantastic Four will be back at Marvel soon. Spidey will depend on Sony's financial situation. X-Men I'd say is unlikley, unless Disney and Marvel pull out a LOT of money and buy them back.

The sooner the better for all of them. Although, I know that GR deserves an R rating and Marvel said they won't make any R movies...they need to get rid of this policy. Action Horror can be profitable.

Last edited:
The sooner the better for all of them. Although, I know that GR deserves an R rating and Marvel said they won't make any R movies...they need to get rid of this policy. Action Horror can be profitable.

DD and FF aren't going anywhere anytime soon

And I sure as hell hope the X-Men and Spider-Man don't either. I'm more the happy with where they are.

Regardless of Marvel disney can't be happy that most of the real heavy hitters of marvel are owned by rival companies.

Yes the avengers will do massive and a sequel should do fine but aside from iron-man independently these films: thor, cap etc. haven't put up the big numbers that a spider-man or the original x-men trillogy have for fox or sony.

Disney isn't dumb they bought marvel for a reason and i'm sure they want marvel's top attractions not the b or c guys. Am I wrong?

also 1000 posts.

^ to be fair x men 3 the highest grosses x men film only made 10 million more than Thor

spiderman is the one they need thats the heavy hitter since spiderman 3 made 890 million WW

I was thinking more in terms of domestic gross. Where clearing 200 million is usually seen as the mark of a true blockbuster.

Comic book films have traditionally been more domestic box office driven than other blockbuster type movies.

I don't think Fox is scared of Avengers, I think Fox is just thinking 'Wow, maybe these Marvel properties are profitable after all.' So they'll double down their efforts to exploit them, and make some of that Marvel comic book movie money.

And then be confused when most of them only achieve tepid results, because its not the characters or universe that have made the MCU so successful, its the quality of the work. The GA won't be any more interested in a crappy FF reboot now then they were previously.

Well I'm not happy with it at all. MS has shown they can make a buck without making a mockery of the properties. With Fox it's all about the money.

Dismal news. :down

I think everyone's biggest fear is that we wouldn't be getting as many movies based on Marvel characters if Marvel Studios got the rights back to all their characters.

This is completely untrue.

No one wants to over-saturate the market right now. For the past several years, there's been 1 DC movie and about 3 Marvel movies produced annually. Generally, 1 or 2 of those Marvel movies is produced by a company other than Marvel Studios.

Does anyone honestly think MS is only producing 1 or 2 movies a year due to financial reasons anymore? They now have the backing of one the largest media corporations in the world. If they knew that Fox or Sony wouldn't be producing a Spider-Man or X-Men movie every year, MS would happily be pumping out 3 films a year.

I think that's what people who support these properties at other studios need to understand. Marvel getting these rights back does not mean they tuck them away for a decade, whereas Fox or Sony would have been giving you Daredevil and Fantastic Four movies for years. Marvel would fill in the void left by the other studios.

I think everyone's biggest fear is that we wouldn't be getting as many movies based on Marvel characters if Marvel Studios got the rights back to all their characters.

This is completely untrue.

No one wants to over-saturate the market right now. For the past several years, there's been 1 DC movie and about 3 Marvel movies produced annually. Generally, 1 or 2 of those Marvel movies is produced by a company other than Marvel Studios.

Does anyone honestly think MS is only producing 1 or 2 movies a year due to financial reasons anymore? They now have the backing of one the largest media corporations in the world. If they knew that Fox or Sony wouldn't be producing a Spider-Man or X-Men movie every year, MS would happily be pumping out 3 films a year.

I think that's what people who support these properties at other studios need to understand. Marvel getting these rights back does not mean they tuck them away for a decade, whereas Fox or Sony would have been giving you Daredevil and Fantastic Four movies for years. Marvel would fill in the void left by the other studios.

movies have to be budgeted for and planned for. Just getting the rights backs doesn't mean we'll see movies immediately. Right now MS schedule is planned out to 2018...with sequels and new up comings. Any of those films wouldn't see the light of day til 2020...maybe.
I'll deal with a Fox DD or FF or Sony Spider-man...because nothing about the characters to me says they need to pop up in an Avengers movie. Do we really need a Reed cameo when we can have Pym or Banner be the resident egg head????

movies have to be budgeted for and planned for. Just getting the rights backs doesn't mean we'll see movies immediately. Right now MS schedule is planned out to 2018...with sequels and new up comings. Any of those films wouldn't see the light of day til 2020...maybe.
I'll deal with a Fox DD or FF or Sony Spider-man...because nothing about the characters to me says they need to pop up in an Avengers movie. Do we really need a Reed cameo when we can have Pym or Banner be the resident egg head????

Firstly, I've never heard anyone say that Marvel has a set production schedule into 2018. If you have evidence to the contrary, please produce it...

Of course they have films in development, but there is never a certainty of them even being greenlit for production at all. These decisions are made as they assess the success of particular characters and franchises as they are released.

So, to assert that we would never see a film produced using the reverted rights to the Fox and Sony Marvel properties until 2020 is absurd. And that's not to even mention the fact that Marvel Studios would most likely be producing more films per year to fill the void left by the other studios, as I already explained.

Secondly, the argument of "we don't need these characters in the MCU anyway" always read to me as an attempt to cope with the idea of Marvel never getting the rights back.

Do you actually think fans would be complaining if Marvel got Spider-Man and X-Men back? Of course not. So, why even bother with the "Well, they're probably better off at the other studios anyway" line of reasoning? Nobody believes that. Not even you.

Firstly, I've never heard anyone say that Marvel has a set production schedule into 2018. If you have evidence to the contrary, please produce it...

Of course they have films in development, but there is never a certainty of them even being greenlit for production at all. These decisions are made as they assess the success of particular characters and franchises as they are released.

So, to assert that we would never see a film produced using the reverted rights to the Fox and Sony Marvel properties until 2020 is absurd. And that's not to even mention the fact that Marvel Studios would most likely be producing more films per year to fill the void left by the other studios, as I already explained.

Secondly, the argument of "we don't need these characters in the MCU anyway" always read to me as an attempt to cope with the idea of Marvel never getting the rights back.

Do you actually think fans would be complaining if Marvel got Spider-Man and X-Men back? Of course not. So, why even bother with the "Well, they're probably better off at the other studios anyway" line of reasoning? Nobody believes that. Not even you.
Well said. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"