• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Official Green Lantern Review Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, did any of you see Mark Millar's comments on this movie?

I'm sorry, but I wish to God this guy would never open his mouth publicly, because whenever he does, he just sounds like a major *****e. Worse than The Phantom? Really, Millar?

I also have trouble taking anything he says seriously considering he had NO problem with a movie studio taking his brilliant Wanted comic and turning it into a completely unrecognizable POS.

Well, I happen to like "The Phantom"(1996).:cwink: I thought it was one of the best superhero movies from the 90's, along with "The Rocketeer".

...but yeah, what a *****e, if he said that. Still, his "Nemesis" was pretty cool.

Last edited:
my only concern is that they don't inspire imagination. I remember the early day kyle rayner. I would spend so much time looking at the constructs and imagining what myself as an artist would make. I assume with Hal it's different or maybe it's just WB.

I do prefer the approach seen in tron legacy though.
specially the light jets

where can I find his comments?

My thoughts exactly. why did he make a boring sword when he could have made some kind of tricked out blade that extended spikes up his arms. Imagine how the japanese would make a character like this! if they did a DC vs Capcom videogame they would do very imaginative things with the constructs.
And yes, I love how Kyle Raynor paints his constructs. I really hoped they would have had a longer training scene in this movie. The whole thing was way too rushed.

Who cares what Millar says?

Who died and made him the all knowing on comic book movies?

Well, I happen to like "The Phantom"(1996).:cwink: I thought it was one of the best superhero movies from the 90's, along with "The Rocketeer".
Ditto on "The Phantom" and "The Rockteer."
I liked "The Shadow" too.

My thoughts exactly. why did he make a boring sword when he could have made some kind of tricked out blade that extended spikes up his arms. Imagine how the japanese would make a character like this! if they did a DC vs Capcom videogame they would do very imaginative things with the constructs.
And yes, I love how Kyle Raynor paints his constructs. I really hoped they would have had a longer training scene in this movie. The whole thing was way too rushed.

go read green lantern rebirth 6, johns explains the style of constructs used by the different human green lanterns. a tricked out sword isn't hal's style.

go read green lantern rebirth 6, johns explains the style of constructs used by the different human green lanterns. a tricked out sword isn't hal's style.

I have all of those. :)
I still think they could have pushed it a bit. But thats just my picky suggestion.I wouldn't take points off for it.

Sorry, guy, but with the current techniques available CG is probably the best way to portray most of the alien creatures used in the film. Furthermore, it would have been a waste of time and money making costumes for all off those characters just for a 5 or 6 minute scene. Not only were you able to represent all 3600 members of the corps, but you are now able to store the models of the characters for future use in subsequent films or other projects.

It wouldn't have been necessary for the full corps, just the principles like Tomar Re, Killowog and the Guardians. Those that had dialogue, closeups ... as close to photo-real CG has come, there's a texture and a quality to in-camera effects that it just can't replicate.

There's also something about the movement that, even with mo-cap being what it is, still has flaws. The opening aliens ... I mean, they were just reptilian heads with space suits, hardly necessary for full on animation.

yea, considering the potential playing up the constructs angle has for the audience it definitely is a shame. I remember picking up Morrisons JLA (new to gl and pretty much everything at that point) and Kyle saved metamorpho's team in this cool space ship like construct(I think) and they're like "what? no bubble" and kyle's like, "that was the other guy"
It was then that he became the dude to me.

Johns comes alone and literally champions that stuff that was just ridiculed and dated(makes it work I'll give him that) and expects the entire market to be happy with it. I think the films will suffer for it imo.

whatever the reasoning, at the end of the day they will reap what they sow.

yea but sometimes it's hard to really get this things to emote, even in hellboy.
nothing beats the work in pirates dead mans chest though. NOTHING

funny you should say that:facepalm:

Avatar, at least in terms of realizing an immense world that FEELS large. Was it me or did the Oa scenes feel ... confined. They took place in the open but there was something about them that didn't feel like they were "outside". Avatar was able to capture that well, though they also had natural fixtures (trees, mountains) to make the viewer accept the location.

Another option is practical with CG enhancement to exaggerate emotion that a prosthetic might not otherwise allow.

Just got back from watching it.

Yes, the movie isnt perfect but it's not the abomination some are saying it is and I enjoyed it nonetheless for the most part. Although I thought the editing was atrocious/downright weird at times at times (wondering if alot of stuff was cut?), as was the tone, the dialogue and the needless inclusion of Hammond and his father, Reynolds made for a pretty decent Hal and Strong was excellent as Sinestro. Thought the space fx were great, as was Oa, the Corps - even if the Guardians mouth animation irked me a bit. I will make a point of saying that not once did I find the suit or mask distracting or 'fake looking' (as some posters have said they found them) and the flying scenes and constructs were pretty well executed and cool to watch.

In short I'd give it a 6.5, maybe 7 out of 10 at a push - but has the potential to be better. Hopefully, if there is a sequel they can iron out some of the kinks and then this would truly be something special. I also hope we get a bigger percentage of off-world stuff [after all, isnt that really what we wanna see?].

Saw GREEN LANTERN yesterday. I'll admit, I, like many, was terrified by the 20% Rotten Tomatoes rating. And ultimately, I am disappointed. But its in the fans, not the movie. The hyperbole here about this movie is ridiculous. Ridiculous and really immature.

This isn't some utter failure to capitalize on the potential of a great and classic mythology. It's not some failed adaption of a great character. It's not an embarrasment for the character by a long shot. It's a good movie. Bottom line. It's a good movie. Does it have its flaws? Absolutely. The story is fairly "superhero generic" beyond the Green Lantern lore. There are some troubling and inconsistent editing issues. The score is really only serviceable, save for a few key moments, where it's fantastic. There are a few things that would have been welcome (More of The Corps in action, more of the supporting Lanterns and cast) that weren't there, or weren't there enough. There were certain elements of it that could have been handled better, or more compellingly. It needed another 20 minutes or so. But none of these things make it a bad movie. These are issues that almost every single film out there has, including the best of the best of the superhero films. That isn't to say its one of the best comic book movies ever made, because its not, not by a longshot, but its a good comic book movie, and an important one, too. Because this may arguably be the first WB/DC comic book film that truly embraces its comic book nature and roots (Other than WATCHMEN), and this is both a good and a bad thing. There is a good movie within those flaws and issues I mentioned, and a movie that contains a lot to like.

Last edited:
I loved the intro sequence. Right away, you can tell we're going to be in a heightened reality of sorts, as the universe doesn't quite look realistic. Its a bold choice though, almost a fairytale version of an alien sector of space. The only thing missing is the Book of Oa opening like a true fairytale would (And Salakk, of course). The exposition at the beginning has an effect that is sort of like cave paintings made of light. The blending of the concepts of Krona, Legion and Parallax into one character is an interesting choice. I never thought I'd see the story of Krona, Legion, and Parallax considered for live action...ever, let alone blended together. Just enough is said about The Guardians to interest us in the concept while leaving some mystery. The scene with the crash-landed aliens is a bit awkward, but I think its neccessary to allow Parallax to escape. And right from the start, Parallax makes for an appropriately creepy and disturbing villain.

Abin Sur being depicted as the Lantern who overcame and imprisoned Parallax is a nice touch, gives him a nice stature amongst the Corps, and gives a decent and believeable reason for his untimely death. It was nice to see him get some combat with Parallax, brief as it was. Temuera Morrison does a very nice job with Abin Sur in a short time onscreen.

Hal's introduction on Earth is admittedly a bit cheesy, but its also appropriate as the character is being presented. There's a nice bit at Ferris (Side note: How cool is it to see Ferris Industries finally onscreen?) where Hal and Carol show their markedly different approaches to life while still trying to appease each other, and then we're off into a heck of a dogfight, getting to see Hal do what he does best. Take risks while flying planes. And that was really well done, and I was glad to see Hal and Carol flying together, at least for a little while. Shades of Top Gun of course, but also very much its own thing. At first, cutting Hal's memories of his father's demise into his plane crash is a bit awkward and jarring, but when it became apparent what was going on, it became an interesting choice, and it makes for an interesting character element. I do wish the quality of the film during the flashback had some sort of nostalgic or nightmarish element to it, or had evolved as the sequence wore on, but its a minor quibble. Despite the different ages of the actors, there is definitely some decent chemistry between Hal and Carol, especially when they are arguing or she's chewing him out, and when his risk doesn't appear to pan out like he wanted it to, you can see him trying to feel guilty over it, even as he thinks what he did was right. Pure Hal. And its pure Carol to find the silver lining in his actions and use that to better everyone's situation.

I like the scene with the Jordan family, as simple and short as it is. Its very telling. Hal is a screwup, even to his own family. The scene with Jason is revealing, too. He's not supposed to be afraid, and he's telling the world that he's not by overcompensating, facts that he won't admit to until later, but he is. Love that they bothered to have Hal shoot the car off the racetrack before he leaves Jason's room. Also, kudos to the filmmakers for casting a kid who looks and acts like a real kid for once as Jason instead of a weird mop of hair with no soul. I was a little disappointed that we never came back to Hal's nephew, or his family after this, but Jim and Jack don't really belong in this story, and didn't have to be here, though it would have been nice to see, in a longer version of the film.

That said, in one of the most perfectly awkward and joy-inspiring moments I've recently seen in a superhero film, Hal gets just unceremoniously grabbed by an orb of weird green light and ripped off to be dumped into an adventure. That's just perfect. Hal racing to save the alien without much hesitation is note perfect. Abin Sur's dying speech is very well done. He doesn't milk the death as other superhero actors have done, he just dies with dignity, having survived long enough to pass on his ring and what to do with it, fighting for breath to whispher words like "honor" and "responsibility". I could have done without Hal's "No no no don't do that" when Abin is dying, but it works in context.

I'm glad that Hal involves Tom in his discovery of Abin Sur, and I'm equally glad to see that the writers nixed that silly "Tom takes Abin Sur's spaceship home and fixes it" plotline from the old script, because that was just too much to swallow. I do wish Tom had a bit more to do in this film, but his time onscreen is welcome nontheless. He served his purpose in the capacity of their job together, and as Hal's friend, he provides an audience identification character for a bit, albeit a loud and rather animated one. That's basically, as far as I know, the role he always had in the comics until The Last Will and Testament storyline happened.

I was hoping for something a bit more classic for Hal's first ring charging sequence. Something with Hal standing, ring to the lantern he's holding in the classic pose, etc. This scene threatened to devolve into Ryan being Ryan at first, with his recitation of classic oaths of power (which was kind of funny) and his frustrated "Come onnn!", but Reynolds really sold the overall moment here, with the first recitation of the oath, and it was pretty powerful stuff to hear his voice sober and break before he ever realizes the impact of his words.

The scene between Hal and Carol at the bar is welcome and fairly genuine. I'll go ahead and say it now. Their relationship may actually be the best and most believeable romantic chemistry we've seen in a recent DC superhero movie in a long time. Seriously. Because its the most natural. They just worked really well together. Hal's beating at the hands of his former coworkers after he leaves is pretty brutal for a movie like this, and I'm really glad to see the reasoning behind it. Because he kind of deserves it at this point, and its what is needed to drive home the point, for him to hit rock bottom. I love that his first construct is the forever-classic giant fist/boxing glove. Love that. Perfect choice. And then, yet another orb of weird green light rips him off into more adventure.

The trip to Oa isn't quite as awe-inspiring as a flight through space could be, but its cool enough, awe-inspiring enough, and Reynolds sells it well. The induction process was a bit more organic than I had expected it to be, and fairly painful looking. I wonder if the ring really needs all those implanted elements, but it did help the merge the relative magic of the ring with a type of alien pseudoscience, and the first shot of Hal's glowing, lantern-adorned chest is pure gold. Tomar-Re is almost perfect. Geoffrey Rush's voicework struck just the right balance of whimsy and wisdom to sell the character. The flight sequence where Hal discovers Oa was really just okay, though it was nice to see Hal doing flips and barrel rolls and acting like, well, a kid who's acting like he's become a plane. Oa itself kind of underwhelmed me. It was well designed for the most part, and quite sprawling, but also a bit cluttered, making it hard to take much of it in. I would have liked to have seen it from street level, and seen a bit more of the Corps on Oa going about their daily lives. The Corps gathering sequence was fantastic. Sinestro's speech to the other Lanterns, seen in previous clips or not, is incredible, as is his recognition that Hal has big boots to fill and the Lanterns' reaction to that. And of course its cool to see all the classic Lanterns there, whether we get to hear them speak or not. The training sequence with Kilowog could definitely have been longer, but combining Kilowog's sequence and Sinestro's makes for a fairly satisying introduction to such matters. What is there is very satisfying, and mattered later on in the film. The point was obviously not that Hal was going to be training longterm here a la Batman (and had the sequence continued along those lines, it would have been one more derivative and generic element in this film) and to recreate that type of sequence, but that he didn't think he could handle the weight of being a Green Lantern and quit, forcing himself to learn on the job and bringing his own personality to ringslinging. That was a choice made by a filmmakers as part of Hal's overall character, and while it is not what I and many would have preferred, I can't fault them for sticking with it and committing to it here. It made for a more compelling conflict in the end, and felt more "Hal". Otherwise, his whole "I can't do this" approach would ring really, really false.

Hal's time on Earth after he returns to Oa is for one purpose. To learn that giving up was wrong, to learn to be a hero, and to learn how to take responsibility. And he does, in grand fashion. I loved that he used a giant green racetrack to save the helicopter during his first appearance as Green Lantern. That was clever stuff, and it was just...right. It reminded me of the slides and chutes and such that he used to make in the silver age, updated for a modern audience, with just enough of a dash of childhood magic to it. His first appearance at Ferris is just right in my mind, from Carol doing what she can to help out, to Hal rescuing Carol and giving her to her father, trying to pretend like what he did is no big deal, and getting the heck out of there. Green Lantern is a man of few or no words here. He speaks less than Batman does here in his first appearance, and something about that and Reynolds stoic performance reveals his realization of the importance of his new powers.

Hal meeting Carol later on as Green Lantern is fantastic. Love his dark, whispery voice. Love his half-cheesy-but-half-serious cowboyish attitude. Love the fact that for half a second she doesn't see through him, and then when she does she just freaks the hell out, and he just thinks its hilarious. Sure, it would have been nice to see them go flying together, either in planes or with light...but that's Superman's territory, and two Superman movies have already done that, and done it well. So instead we see them where they belong. Overlooking Ferris industries, the place that has shaped them both, and talking about what Hal screwed up, and what matters, and what he has to do now. I do miss Hal making Paris out of green light for her, though, as in a previous draft of the script.

Hector Hammond's arc, threaded throughout the film, is grotesque, and creepy, and disturbing, which is exactly what it should have been. They. Nailed. It. Saarsgard does a really nice with a very basic and simple idea. A lot has been made of how useless Hector Hammond was. Well...yeah. That's because he was supposed to be. The whole point of the film is that Hal uses his newfound power responsibly and with honor, despite an initial rejection of it, and Hector does not, and uses his power for self serving purposes, despite initially embracing it. I really can't bring myself to care that he didn't rob a bank or have any major plans, because thats the point of Hector Hammond, and always has been. A largeminded fellow turns out to be smallminded. A lot has been said of his lack of character development, but he's no less interesting than Scarecrow in BATMAN BEGINS was, or than any other supporting villain for that matter. Hector Hammond never was anything but a man who wasted his potential and his power in the comics. Here, he wastes it on personal issues while Hal gets over his own and uses his power to help others. He's designed to be a foil and a mirror for the hero, and thats what he is. Hector kills his father in a pretty cold and disturbing manner, and what his father apparently plans to allow to have done with Hector was a bit jarring as well. Eventually, he can't stand himself as he is, uses his power to threaten the woman he supposedly loves, and reveals that all he really wants is power, and not her...and that..that I thought was just creepy stuff. Genuinely creepy and evil. I don't really care whether he knew Hal or Carol before, or how well he knew them, or the details of their life before this movie. That didn't really have much to do with anything, other than to explain that he has followed Carol and her career and resented her love for Hal, and that was there as plain as day, and believeable enough. They live in the same city...they could easily know each other.

I really liked Hal admitting to Hector that he understands fear, and asking him to let him help him. I'm really glad to see there was a "Hal gives up the ring to a villain" sequence in the film. Cliche or not, that's also classic Green Lantern stuff, and a neccessary point of his origin, the realization that its not all about the ring. The resolution of that is fantastic, with the power ring's blast not harming Hal, and Hal's line "You have to be chosen". Carol, who had been the damsel in distress previously in this scene, does more than a lot of female leads have, saving Hal from Parallax with some quick thinking. When Parallax arrives (I got a kick out of how Parallax suddenly just appears there outside the windows), Hector's death is appropriate and grisly. Not sure what "You have failed me" means from Parallax. I assume its that he didn't finish Green Lantern off, but its a minor quibble.

And then Hal does exactly what he should have done in this situation. Flies to Oa and appeals to The Guardians. And we get another classic Guardian moment, where they reveal that they may not be as beneficial as they originally appeared. The refusal to help Earth in order to save their own Corps, and themselves for the time being. And Hal's recognition of that and his stubborn refusal to accept it. His speech to them then has just enough of an earnest edge to make me believe I was listening to Hal Jordan from the comics. It's like he doesn't quite know how to say it yet...but knows he needs to, and so even though he's unsteady and unsure, he does.

There's a lot of whining online that Parallax is depicted a RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER-esque Galactus type cloud that looks like a giant bowel movement. Maybe. But Parallax is much cooler than Galactus ever was, has more to do with humanitys own issues and the issues of Hal Jordan, and was generally scarier, if not as large in scale. The concept apparently had to be Krona, and it had to be Legion, and it had to be Parallax, and it does incorporate all those elements in a sense. Fear is an ugly, dirty, excrementous, crawling, reaching thing, and so to me, the design makes sense. There was something about that roiling mass of fear-ridden souls that was just eerie. What Parallax did to innocent people was pretty scary. What he represented was scary. Fear itself being the villlain is a pretty bold choice in general. Seeing Hal face the living embodiment of fear...people are really complaining about that because the cloud of fear's motivations that feeds on the fear of others weren't complex?

Hal VS Parallax is awesome. One of the cooler and more unique action sequences in a while. At first I didn't think a giant cloud would be very threatening, but though the sequence is broadly drawn, the stampeding, terrified crowds of Coast City do serve to provide a decent bit of emotional stakes. The battle doesn't quite have the kinetic impact of a Spider-Man fight, or the impact of a fistfight between Batman and Ra's Al Ghul, or the technical wizardry of Iron Man VS Iron Monger, but there's something cool about its scale and the nature of it anyway, the dark magic VS light magic approach. And I was really happy to see that no one felt the need to explain what was happening every three seconds. When Reynolds yelled for the innocent bystander to run, I knew for sure that he was an appropriate Green Lantern. He has a heroic stoicism and presence to him that just works for the character.

The sequence where Hal, about to buckle under the power of Parallax, recites the oath and finds new energy and light to fight Parallax, is very well done. Granted, the way that Hal ultimately beats Parallax is a little odd, leading him a merry chase through space and into the Sun in a use of power sequence that is a tiny bit awkward...but it wasn't bad, and it was actually pretty satisfying to see the space cop embrace his element and what little he had learned from the others to defeat Parallax. And then I realized that not only had he done that, but he'd used the ultimate source of light to do it, to destroy the dark, corrupted yellow energy of Parallax. The jets he uses to bolster himself were appropriate, and could easily represent Hal and Carol or Hal and his father flying side by side (I know, that's not there, but work with me, it should have been). Yes, it would have been nice to see The Corps show up to help out a bit, and to protect the people of Earth, and to take part in a massive battle, or at least some of them. But A, that would be time consuming and expensive. This movie obviously didn't have an unlimited runtime or resources. B, this is Hal's test. C, where would the sequel go after that? After you show 3,600 Lanterns show up to help out on Earth, what do you do for an encore? Show it again? Show it in space? I think its fine to want to see a ton of Green Lanterns in action, but to denounce the entire idea of the Corps within the film as failed because we didn't get to see the full potential of it in the first film is a bit silly.

Structurally, I would definitely have liked more of a denoument at the end of the film. Something with Amanda Waller coming to terms with just what is out there, something with Carol and her father (actually, the film needed some of this anyway), maybe something with Hal and his family, something with Coast City realizing the impact of Green Lantern's arrival and rebuilding. Really, the lack of Coast City's "reaction" to Green Lantern, or rather, the degree of it, is one of the weaker elements of the film, though there are a few moments detailing it after he appears. The moments between Hal and Carol and his recognition of his newfound responsibility are well done, and the way the film ends, with Hal being represented as one of the distant stars in the sky is also well done, calling to mind what Tomar Re told him about the stars and the Corps members earlier in the film.

Last edited:
MASSIVE SPOILER:

The coda with Sinestro putting on the Yellow Power Ring, I'm of two minds on. On the surface, it feels too soon to reveal he's going to be a villain, and I understand where people are coming from. On the other, despite the lack of a true character arc, the guy had yellow eyes like Parallax, and looked like a villain and was named "Sinestro". It was freaking obvious that Sinestro was discovering the power of the yellow light of fear throughout the film and wanted to wield the yellow power ring, and why he wanted it was also obvious, as were the risks of such a thing. It's not a complex reason, and it never has been in the source material...power. Power to maintain order. Which I think anyone who watched the film and saw Mark Strong's performance and heard all the warnings about yellow power should already know. Its not like he actually becomes a villain at the end of the film. He just puts on the Yellow Power Ring and revels in it a bit. The potential to become a villain is certainly there, but judging by what happened to Krona, what happened to Hector, and the Guardians clear reaction to his request in the first place, the potential for anyone using the light of fear to become a villain is strong, and the second Sinestro said "Once I have mastered the light of fear" to the Guardians, you know what was going to happen.

I could see a sequel using a secretly yellow-Power Ring wielding Sinestro establishing his dictatorship on Korugar and Hal and the Corps' discovery of that and his fall from grace. The reveal at the end here only reveals that he has the potential to succumb to evil. I don't really think they've "ruined" anything. They just showed some of it over the course of this film, and will build on it in the next. And let's face it, if there isn't a sequel to this, then we've seen what waited for Hal and the Corps eventually. So its a satisfying moment. And it makes sense in the context of the film.

Last edited:
Here are the soon to be famous (or infamous) words from Mark Millar, regarding the Green Lantern film.

"I hereby declare Green Lantern the worst superhero movie ever made. And yes I count The Phantom and The Shadow as superhero movies.

Green Lantern was the cheapest-looking 300 million dollar movie I’ve ever seen. Why didn’t they give that money (to) Africa?

It had a couple of good moments, all coming from Mark Strong. But oh man.

It was just such an ODD movie. Like it traveled here from a parallel universe where they made a Green Lantern movie in 1995.

But it was only eight quid and thus worth it. And I know I’ll go and see it again ”

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...19&t=Mark_Millar_Weighs_In_On_iGreen_Lanterni

That bolded bit is humorous but a very strong criticism. Any Lantern readers care to chime in. I am already preparing to see this movie at my local $5 theater. For $5, two hours isn't that bad, but if the film is truly this disaster, perhaps I am better off waiting to rent it sometime later this fall?

Just curious, did any of you see Mark Millar's comments on this movie?

I'm sorry, but I wish to God this guy would never open his mouth publicly, because whenever he does, he just sounds like a major *****e. Worse than The Phantom? Really, Millar?

I also have trouble taking anything he says seriously considering he had NO problem with a movie studio taking his brilliant Wanted comic and turning it into a completely unrecognizable POS.

Tells you everything you need to know about his credibility. Plus, never trust a Scottsman.

Actingwise, the entire cast is solid, and often strong, which is a relief. With broadly drawn, and somewhat over the top characters, performances were a bit of a concern going into this. Ryan Reynolds, my main concern going into this film, and a lot of people's worry, turns out to be very good as Hal Jordan. He's good enough to make you believe that he's both Hal Jordan and Green Lantern, and he plays two distinct characters therein. He's not great, but he has moments where he is very good, and several where he shines. He plays a Hal Jordan who knows he's a screwup, doesn't quite want to be, but isn't really sure how to avoid it, because doing so conflicts with who he is. His recklessness evolves into the risk taking man who will become the Greatest Green Lantern of all. Reynolds' Green Lantern is funny, vulnerable, earnest, somewhat charming, stoic, compassionate, and even commanding at times, and he looks great in the suit to boot. He has a lot more personality than a lot of superheroes have had of late, which is a huge plus, and he delivers his somewhat over the top speeches with a kind of earnest belief in the material.

Blake Lively, another one of the major question marks of this cast, turns out to be one of its main strengths. I had serious concerns about her. But weven without a great deal of depth or brilliant lines to work with, she still turns in one of the most genuine performances of a comic book love interest we've seen. Her Carol Ferris is recognizeable as the character from the books, has several layers to her, and is a nice balance of damsel in distress and damsel who can kick ass given the chance. She's compassionate, stern, driven and intelligent, and it all comes through from her performance as well as the dialogue.

Peter Saarsgard makes a fantastic Hector Hammond. He plays the role with a sense of balance that a lot of actors in similar roles have not achieved with such over the top characters, including actors in better franchises. He is creepy and disturbing, sure, he has to be, but he's also pathetic and insecure, resisting the urge to include much wink and nod in his performance, and his insecurities come to light through his performance in a grand and often very subtle way. It was just a joy to watch his performance throughout the entire film.

Mark Strong is almost perfect as Sinestro. There's an ease to his performance and a detachment from those around him that is a little eerie, but that's what he's best at, and he brings it to this film. Its unfortunate that he isn't given more to do to be sure, but his time with The Guardians and The Corps was satisfying as hell. He does get to go into battle a bit, and he takes part in training/forging Hal, and there is a bit of an arc between him and Hal, so he's not nearly as useless to the plot or the film as people are pretending he is. He is, after all, a supporting character in this movie.

Taika Waititi's Tom Kalmaku is just kind of there, and thankfully never devolves into outright camp, though he's clearly in the film as comic relief. His reactions seem mostly genuine, and his joy at seeing Hal's new abilities is welcome. I do wish, as I've said above, that he had more to do, but I'm also glad to see him here, period.

Tim Robbins performance as Senator Hammond is getting a lot of heat from critics, but I think he did a decent job. He's not supposed to be likeable, and he's really suppoed to be kind of a fake, superficial person. So when his emotions don't feel genuine, that's because they aren't supposed to. He's basically the Mr. Earle of this film, and he did a decent enough job with his role.

Angela Basset is surprisingly good as Amanda Waller. Not that I have doubts about her talent, I just heard a lot from critics about how she mailed it in or how she played it for cheese, but I assume they were just looking at her hair, because I didn't see anything but a genuine performance from her, and she deserves kudos for that, because she may become something important to the DC movieverse. I wouldn't hate to see her show up again in other Green Lantern movies. If she's the DC movieverse's Nick Fury, then at least she can act a lot better than Sam Jackson can, and she did so here.

The special effects were generally very good. The CGI tends to be fine. The constructs look fantastic. The Green Lantern suits occassionally seem to have arbitrary glowing lines at times, which I wasn't real keen on, but the overall execution and concept of the musculature based outfits is good. The Guardians look realistic enough, and just heightened enough to suit their immortality and stature in the mythology. The sets and environments all matched the tones of the encounters that took place in them. Parallax looked great. Hector Hammond's effects looked realistic.

Director Martin Campbell was clearly in somewhat unfamiliar territory here. But he didn't quite stumble, either. The space sequences were fantastic, occassionally lavish, and always beautiful. The Earth scenes looked real, and were appropriately grounded when needed, and fantastical when not. The action was effective and nice to look at. The pacing for this movie is fine. I really have no idea why anyone would complain about the pacing of this film. There are some definite and obvious editing issues, but they're not editing issues so much because they're inherently bad, but because they rob the film of some of the magic of its more epic imagery, and there are some fairly awkward flashbacks inserted via editing, such as Waller's when Hammond reads her mind.

The script for GREEN LANTERN isn't, as some people have been complaining, weak or remotely horrible. It's actually very solid, structurally, character developmentwise, and even plotwise, certainly as compared to many other superhero films. It's just rather "safe". And one wonders why a several hundred million dollar film about a character most people barely know of would play it safe? IRON MAN played it a bit safe. So did SPIDER-MAN. So have a lot of films, in various ways.

Storywise, this film isn't plotless in the least. There is a very clear plot, which should be recognizeable to every Green Lantern fan out there, and I don't think that's neccessarily a bad thing. This was done deliberately, and I think, effectively. It's not a convoluted or overly complex plot, and its mostly tied to Hal Jordan and Hector Hammond's origins, the threat of Parallax, and the general idea of will VS fear. As such, the plot itself tends to be broader and bigger than most superhero stories we've seen of late. Partially, I suspect, because it's a less than two hour film and it had to be simplified somewhat. And partially because, well, it's Green Lantern. His character arc isn't complex. Nor are those of his enemies. They never have been, and they never will be. Nor, arguably, should they be. The idea of will and fear are simple ones that are very accessible to almost everyone. What isn't simple is actually dealing with fear and exercising your will, and I think the film showed that fairly well.

There was quite a bit of exposition in the film (though I don't think there's as much as people are implying). Look at the context of the film and the actual Green Lantern mythology, though, and then look at how its used in the film. Not every character goes around spouting exposition. Its mostly the Lanterns that do. Why? Because its the legend of the Green Lantern Corps. Their oral history. They're passing it down as they always have, verbally, through stories about what happened. Read a Green Lantern comic book. They have a freaking plot device called The Book of Oa that is nothing BUT exposition. There are times exposition is a problem. The Lanterns and The Guardians explaining and discussing a dark facet of their history is not one of them. There are times exposition is neccessary, and almost every time it was needed here, I feel like it was used appropriately. The film wasn't all "show" and no "tell". I found it a decent balance of both.

On to some of the complaints:

1. Too much of the movie happened on Earth.

Really? This is an actual complaint fans of Hal Jordan have? Green Lantern is, in the largest sense, a space opera...but Hal Jordan is the Green Lantern of Sector 2814. That translates to him being, all together now...The Green Lantern of Earth. Could fans ***** about there being less time on Oa any more? While Oa has some obvious significance in the mythology, it is primarily just a base of operations. We saw Hal's arrival, induction, first flight over Oa, Sinestro rallying the Corps, and Sinestro and The Guardians, and there was plenty of that. Are people really complaining about the amount of those elements? This movie, being about Earth's first human chosen to be a Green Lantern, absolutely belonged mostly on Earth, and should have been on Earth. No one advertised otherwise, and people should not have expected otherwise. The fact that this was touted as DC's STAR WARS doesn't mean that it was going to actually BE STAR WARS. But there ARE elements that are similar to Star Wars. Clear ones.

2. It's cheesy.

There were times during the film where I thought "Now this is just silly and weird". That I thought things looked way too garish. And then I started to feel really stupid, and hypocritical. Because I quickly realized that they were also near-perfect adaptions of the source material. Green Lantern and the universe surrounding it can be silly and weird. It can be bright, and garish. That's half its appeal. Thats its magic. The fact that serious ideas about will and fear and order and justice can be juxtaposed with big, bright battles of good and evil light from magic rings. But reading a lot of the posts here, few people here seem to have felt any magic during this film. Few people seem able to use their imagination for anything, or to accept the imaginative elements of this movie. That's just sad. And not sad because the filmmakers didn't include any...its just sad, period.

3. It's not deep

This one is pretty simple. I don't think its apologetic to say that the fact that Green Lantern may not have had the depth of some of the other great superhero films is largely an issue of the source material its based on and the issues that has inherent to it...not the film itself. Be honest about the stuff you love. The filmmakers were.

Now, there are some obvious ways this film could have been better.

-More about Hal's father, and his impact on Hal's life.
-Development of Carol and her father's relationship.
-More development for almost any character arc, and more of a detailed look at Hal's own issues, a more sensitive touch with the themes.
-A more varied and unique storyline with less generic elements.
-A huge battle with the Corps, and more action for Sinestro, Tomar-Re, Kilowog and the others.

But including most or all of these things would likely have resulted in a two and a half to three hour movie and a much larger budget, and a less accessible film to general audiences. And filmmaking is a game that involves being realistic and being choosy. And realistically...the public doesn't know what Green Lantern is, and certainly doesn't love him as much as they love Batman or Superman going into the film. So the "dream film" wasn't going to happen yet. Just like X-MEN had to start somewhere and choose what to show, just like BATMAN BEGINS had to start somewhere and choose what to show, just like Spider-Man had to start somewhere and make its choices about what to show, GREEN LANTERN had to scale back at first as well. That doesn't mean the franchise doesn't have potential, or that there aren't things to embrace about it. Because there are. Things unique both to this franchise and to this mythology.

Opinions are fine. But so many of them here seem just arbitrary. Just because you personally didn't like something, or wanted something done differently, or because it could have potentially been done better, that doesn't make it automatically outright bad. The groupthink here, and the lack of reasoning in the arguments...its just ridiculous. It always is, but especially during this film's reception. The sad part of that is it limits discussion about the film (and the mythology) to a series of "Yuh huh", "Nuh uh" level arguments. I really feel this movie's actual flaws are on comparable levels to other high quality superhero films. Films along the lines of X-Men, Batman, etc, but for some reason, those movies get a pass, and this one doesn't. I personally suspect that its because many fans can't think for themselves and just go along with the critics, because the last time I was in here, I could have sworn the mood was decidedly better, but it doesn't ultimately matter why, its just troubling to me. While this movie's strengths don't put it squarely in the upper echelon of superhero movies, it has elements that can stand up to elements of the best of them.

Green Lantern is a success on many levels. Rather than lambaste its "failure", we should be hoping for more successful elements.

Since you put out Amanda Waller, what a waste of a perfectly good character. They do the flash back thing about her family being killed, and it's all for not. She's pretty much out of the movie for the rest of the film.

It's like they were torn between having a cameo and having a full fledged Nick Fury type crossover deal, and the flinched on both counts.

Go watch the movie. Decide for yourself. Five dollars is a sandwich lol.

Here are the soon to be famous (or infamous) words from Mark Millar, regarding the Green Lantern film.

"I hereby declare Green Lantern the worst superhero movie ever made. And yes I count The Phantom and The Shadow as superhero movies.

Green Lantern was the cheapest-looking 300 million dollar movie I’ve ever seen. Why didn’t they give that money (to) Africa?

It had a couple of good moments, all coming from Mark Strong. But oh man.

It was just such an ODD movie. Like it traveled here from a parallel universe where they made a Green Lantern movie in 1995.

But it was only eight quid and thus worth it. And I know I’ll go and see it again ”

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...19&t=Mark_Millar_Weighs_In_On_iGreen_Lanterni

That bolded bit is humorous but a very strong criticism. Any Lantern readers care to chime in. I am already preparing to see this movie at my local $5 theater. For $5, two hours isn't that bad, but if the film is truly this disaster, perhaps I am better off waiting to rent it sometime later this fall?

It's disturbing that he counts The Phantom and The Shadow as his examples for worst comic book movies. Has Millar never seen Batman and Robin or Wolverine? Hell I'd definitely rank GL above most of the early to mid ought comic flicks; FF, Daredevil, even Spider-Man.

Millar likes to talk a lot of ****, that's just his game. You already know what you're getting when you axe his opinion.

Millar is accurate. GL did seem like a crappy 90s movie.

It did look cheap.

Where did the budget go? I'm starting to think execs pocketed most of that money.

Millar is accurate. GL did seem like a crappy 90s movie.

It did look cheap.

Where did the budget go? I'm starting to think execs pocketed most of that money.

Maybe, and I'm just guessing here, the budget went into the copious CG effects that were most of the time very well done and convincing?

Wow did millar say it was the worst he's ever seen did he actually watch wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"