The Official Halo thread!

I think that a PG-13 rating would work. The games really only have an M rating because of blood and a little profanity

No need for an R rating. Why they were rated M I have no idea. That crossed over to film would be PG-13. Now Gears of War should be R rated.

I think the first game was M because it came out closely after 9/11. Then with the sequels, MS & Bungie didn't want to seem like they were going "baby" on everyone & gave it a M.

A PG-13 rating would be perfect & I think it's what MS would want.

The swearing and the excess blood in the first one made it M, and the rest just followed the same rating. I remember when you could mod the game or even glitch it so you could keep shooting someone... the amount of blood was ridiculous! Or even when you would shoot someone every few minutes in the same place without killing them... the amount of blood coming out of them would stain the walls and the ground black! Hahahaha, it was hilarious.

Halo needs to be pg-13, now for the story i would prefer if they based it around the original game, and if it has sequels the same thing would be made, then the Halo trilogy would be a full cinematic trilogy.

I have a question. How would a Halo movie based on the main trilogy work?
I like the games just for the gameplay and the multiplayer, but the story was never that good. But thats not something a good screenwriter couldnt punch up.
But the main character is faceless he spends literally the whole time with a helmet on; which I guess isnt far off from V in V for Vendetta, but then he doesnt even talk.

From just a cinematic perspective I dont see how they can make a film with that problem.

I like the games just for the gameplay and the multiplayer, but the story was never that good. But thats not something a good screenwriter couldnt punch up.
But the main character is faceless he spends literally the whole time with a helmet on; which I guess isnt far off from V in V for Vendetta, but then he doesnt even talk.

From just a cinematic perspective I dont see how they can make a film with that problem.

Exactly,you dont need to base the story entirely on Master Chief, thats why there are side characters (Natalie portman in V) to help make the story move on, Sgt Johnson, Cap Keyes Cortana Guilty Spark, the elites, etc.

Read this. Or, part of this.

http://www.latinoreview.com/script-reviews/halo-1

Exactly,you dont need to base the story entirely on Master Chief, thats why there are side characters (Natalie portman in V) to help make the story move on, Sgt Johnson, Cap Keyes Cortana Guilty Spark, the elites, etc.
If I had to write a screenplay based on Halo, I would actually have a different main character from Master Chief who is just an everyman soldier. Basically, this character would be Ben Hur, and Master Chief would be Jesus. Master Chief wouldn't be at the front and center of the film's narrative, but whenever he shows up he would kick all kinds of ass.

Whatever they do for this movie, I hope that it eventually happens. It's a shame that it had such a disappointing false start before, because if they'd gone through with Peter Jackson producing and Niel Blomkamp directing I think this movie could have been one of the biggest blockbusters of the decade.

i think it would be a great movie based on what Neil did on D9. but based on what do you think it would make a lot of money? only with sequels we can know if they will be big or small. and this is based on boxoffice DVD's and general public. if they like it. for example teh Star Trek sequel. it will be huge.

You guys just had to bump this thread and get my hopes up, didn't you :csad:?

But I agree with Timstuff. As much as the fanboys would ***** and moan, I think any film should be told from the perspective of the Marines/ODSTs, with Master Chief as a secondary (but important) character. I'm sure this comparison has been thrown around before, but I'm definitely thinking Saving Private Ryan meets sci-fi.

Master Chief is a badass, but that can only carry a film so far. As written, he's a cardboard-box of a character. He doesn't talk that much, you never see his face, he lacks depth and personality, and his borderline invincibility would effectively strip the film of any sense of drama with him as the lead. In order to make Master Chief work as a main character on screen, changes would need to be made.

As he is now, he'd have to be as Timstuff suggested. An almost omnipresent character that serves as a beacon of hope and strength throughout the film. A banner for the Marines to rally behind. The legendary hero that keeps them going.

Details On The "Halo" Film Collapse

By Garth Franklin
Friday April 20th 2012 10:30AM

High profile projects fall apart all the time. Most are due to money, others to studio politics, and others to creative differences with the principals involved. In the case of the now defunct film adaptation of best-selling video game series "Halo", the real story was a mix of all of these things.
Excerpts from Jamie Russell's new book "Generation Xbox: How Video Games Invaded Hollywood" have appeared on Wired.com in which various people involved in the former Fox/Universal co-production speak up about what happened.
Creative Artists Agency's Larry Shapiro, who was handling the deal on behalf of Microsoft, says "Microsoft's unwillingness to reduce their deal killed the deal. Their unwillingness to reduce their gross in the deal meant it got too top-heavy. That movie could have been Avatar."
Neill Blomkamp, the "District 9" filmmaker attached to direct the project, agrees saying "When you have a corporation [Microsoft] that potent and that large taking a percentage of the profits, then you've got Peter Jackson taking a percentage of the profits and you start adding all of that stuff up, mixed with the fact that you have two studios sharing the profits, suddenly the return on the investment starts to decline so that it becomes not worth making. Ultimately, that's essentially what killed the film."
It wasn't just the disagreements between Microsoft and Hollywood, but between the studios involved and the creative talent.
Blomkamp says "the suits weren’t happy with the direction I was going. Thing was, though, I’d played Halo and I play videogames. I’m that generation more than they are and I know that my version of Halo would have been insanely cool. It was more fresh and potentially could have made more money than just a generic, boring film — something like G.I. Joe or some crap like that, that Hollywood produces.”
He also admits "The way Fox dealt with me was not cool. Right from the beginning… until the end when it collapsed, they treated me like ****; they were just a crappy studio. I’ll never ever work with Fox ever again because of what happened to Halo"
Click here to check out the full and fascinating article.

I love how blunt he is.. Fox studios is a pretty **** studio

I'd like to pick on Fox again, but it seems like Microsoft is as much to blame for this mess. They entered into uncharted territory and immediately began throwing their weight around in a seemingly ostentatious manner, and stubbornly refused to yield on anything. The part where they tried to pit Universal and Fox against one another, only for it backfire spectacularly was :doh: worthy.

I actually like that Microsoft wasnt letting the studios have there way with the behind the scenes stuff and what not.

Couldn't MS just Bank roll this themselves? Hire Peter Jackson's production company and bring Blomkamp in to Direct. Cut Universal and Fox out completely.

I'd like to pick on Fox again, but it seems like Microsoft is as much to blame for this mess. They entered into uncharted territory and immediately began throwing their weight around in a seemingly ostentatious manner, and stubbornly refused to yield on anything. The part where they tried to pit Universal and Fox against one another, only for it backfire spectacularly was :doh: worthy.

So you are blaming Microsoft to make sure the movie is up to standards ? Would you want FOX to ruin Halo ? Like they ruined X3 & FF ? I don't blame Microsoft for not wanting the studios to have any say in the decision making

^then they can make the movie themselves because any studio would have say on the decisions of a big budget movie

Shocking that Fox was hard to work with. [/sarcasm]

So you are blaming Microsoft to make sure the movie is up to standards ? Would you want FOX to ruin Halo ? Like they ruined X3 & FF ? I don't blame Microsoft for not wanting the studios to have any say in the decision making

^then they can make the movie themselves because any studio would have say on the decisions of a big budget movie

Exactly. Creative control is one thing, but they're also demanding a sizable portion of the gross while footing none of the production budget. Keep in mind this is still a videogame movie, which has yet to be a proven break-even genre, much less a profitable one.

But more than that it's the general arrogance and naivete Microsoft exhibited in a field that they were clearly not ready for.

Microsoft could very easily bankroll this movie and reap all of the rewards. If they want complete creative control over the film, that may very well be their only option.

Having watched those live-action Halo shorts, I'm still hoping that Blomkamp's Halo sees the light of day. Not with 20th Century Fox, mind you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"