The Official Hellboy/B.P.R.D. Thread

PhotoJones

Avenger
Reaction score
There have been no posts in the Hellboy Comics forum in the last 30 days, making it defunct. I figured this forum is the next best place for Hellboy discussions.

So. Anyone reading Hellboy and/or BPRD?

I've tried reading the BPRD minis. I've been really bad about it, though. I have a few scattered issues from the first few minis, only some of which I've actually read; then I have all of the last complete mini, but I've only read 2 or 3 issues. I'm following Garden of Souls, though. I'm curious to see what comes of Abe's discovery of his life as Everett Langdon Caul.

Hellboy, on the other hand, I'm way behind on. I got into Hellboy long before the first movie, but I didn't have enough money to get all the trades. So I've read the first two, but that's it. Now that I'm actively trying to read all the series I've always wanted to read but never got around to, I'll probably tackle Hellboy next, after I get the second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen trade.

So, basically, I like Hellboy and BPRD but I have nothing to contribute to this thread. :(

I'm a late comer to Mignola's little slice of comics, but I've become pretty taken with it. I read BPRD: The Dead and Plague of Frogs last night, and those were excellent. I've also picked up Garden of Souls, but I'm going to hold off on that until The Black Flame and Universal Machine are shipped to me. Guy's artwork on the BPRD series is amazing. I love looking at the pages.

As for Hellboy proper, I'm behind as well. I've got minis and oneshots in a scattered fashion, and I'm trying to pick up last mini, The Island. I was left a little lost by the first issue of Darkness Falls.

I've read all six Hellboy trades and they're great. I haven't read any B.P.R.D. books though.

I have a few trades, really really enjoy them...I'd love to pick up more, and the BPRD trades, but it's about money :(

I'm a late comer to Mignola's little slice of comics, but I've become pretty taken with it. I read BPRD: The Dead and Plague of Frogs last night, and those were excellent. I've also picked up Garden of Souls, but I'm going to hold off on that until The Black Flame and Universal Machine are shipped to me. Guy's artwork on the BPRD series is amazing. I love looking at the pages.

As for Hellboy proper, I'm behind as well. I've got minis and oneshots in a scattered fashion, and I'm trying to pick up last mini, The Island. I was left a little lost by the first issue of Darkness Falls.
I read The Island and I thought it was great. I missed the first issue of Darkness Falls, though. Hopefully my shop will order more.

Does anyone know if Hellboy's supposed to reunite with the rest of the BPRD cast now that Mignola's got Fegredo to regularly pencil Hellboy comics the way Davis regularly does BPRD ones?

I think I read somewhere that Hellboy's going to be on his own for a while.

I read that a long time ago, when the BPRD series were starting out, as a way to explain Hellboy's absence from the BPRD. Seriously, though, his sabbatical's been going on for like forever and a day now. I want to see him learn about Abe Sapien's past and Roger's death and meet the new BPRD members and all that good stuff.

I kinda like him off on his own. For now, that is. Eventually I'd like to see him return to the BPRD. I think are more stories to tell with Hellboy going solo then have been told already. There really haven't that many minis or even one shots in the past few years compared to all the BPRD minis.

On a side note, I just bought Universal Machine, which makes me current with BPRD. Once that ships, I'll be able to fully enjoy Garden of Souls.

Garden of Souls' last issue was pretty interesting. Cool developments for Abe and Daimio.

I read the first issue of Garden of Souls, and it looks like the whole arc is going to be Abe-centric, specifically finding out about his past as Caul. It's hard, but I'm holding off on reading the rest of series until Black Flame and Universal Machine come to me.

There's not much harder than not reading comics you have right in front of you...

Oh, it looks Abe-centric, but there is a whopper of a surprise for Daimio, too.

Don't spoil it.

Man, this thread might as well be called the "Photo and Corp Show"...

I know. Apparently no one else on the Hype cares about Hellboy.

Or, I guess, they might be at the actual Hellboy forums...

Well, I tried the Hellboy Comics forum first, and it's now defunct.

I guess we really are the only people on the Hype who care, then. That's sad. :(

Maybe they just haven't thought to look here for some Hellboy goodness. Right? Right?

:csad:

Yeah, I don't know how they'd ever figure out that this is the spot for Hellboy/BPRD stuff. ;)

Seriously, though, the Misc. Comics forum is always dead. It takes something really major to get people to care enough to come here. Maybe Hellboy just isn't big enough.

I care, it's just there's so many trades and spin offs as well as other games, dvds comics and figures to buy that it's impossible to get it all, so for now Im relegated with hellboy to some trades, the movies, animated dvds and figures and videogames.

Yeah, I don't know how they'd ever figure out that this is the spot for Hellboy/BPRD stuff. ;)

Seriously, though, the Misc. Comics forum is always dead. It takes something really major to get people to care enough to come here. Maybe Hellboy just isn't big enough.

I just couldn't believe that no one had made a post in the last 30 days. I mean, in the last 30 days, Hellboy: Darkness Calls and BPRD: Garden of Souls have dropped.

And then when I make a thread about it, you and I are the only people that notice. Weird.

Yeah, it is odd. Horrorfan's here too, it seems, so that's at least one more. And, since he brought up the DVDs, I'd like to comment that I just finished watching Hellboy: Blood and Iron and The Amazing Screw-On Head last night, courtesy of a month-old TIVO'ing and Netflix, respectively.

Both were great, although I loved Screw-On Head's utterly random jackassery more. Much like another favorite of mine, The Venture Brothers, Screw-On Head takes a lot of the conventions of the genres Mignola plays with most--horror, action, historical fiction--and turns them on their heads in some hilarious ways. David Hyde Pierce was phenomenal as Emperor Zombie, who's just a great character in general. One of my favorite parts of the whole thing was where Zombie actually demotes himself from "Emperor Zombie" to "Mr. Zombie" because he "takes orders from the demigod now." :D

Beyond just the great acting and funny gags, Screw-On Head captures Mignola's style in animation pretty damn amazingly. It was honestly like watching a Mignola comic come to life. I give it 10 out of 10 screwable appendages. :up:

Blood and Iron was also great. The voice cast in particular was pretty impressive. Ron Perlman's voice is always a joy to hear coming from Hellboy's mouth; it has just the right combination of grumpiness and sarcasm. Doug Jones does an admirable job aping David Hyde Pierce's movie Abe. Peri Gilpin's voice is one of my all-time favorite voices, and it works perfectly for Kate Corrigan. The only big-name star who sounded kind of sub-par was Selma Blair, who sounded like she phoned in her performance a bit.

The story was excellent. It's basically a cold case from Professor Bruttenholm's pre-Hellboy prime that comes back to haunt him, which is my favorite kind of Hellboy story, since it allows Mignola to weave historical fiction into the present-day workings in that seemingly effortless, well-researched way he does. One thing I liked about this plot in particular was the fact that Bruttenholm actually does some heavy lifting toward its resolution, rather than languishing in the background while Hellboy, Abe, and Liz handle everything. I don't want to spoil anything by going any further into it, but Bruttenholm basically emerges as the real hero of the story, giving a nice sense of closure to his era-spanning adventure.

My one disappointment in Blood and Iron, along with the previous direct-to-DVD movie Sword of Storms, is the fact that the cast is kept so small. You can do anything in animation and the plot did call for some extra BPRD members besides the main trio, so why couldn't we have gotten Ben Daimio or Johann Kraus in on the action instead of "the human metal detector"? Oh well, maybe in future DVDs. I'm hoping for a DVD that deals with the discovery of Roger the Homunculus, at the very least.

I'd give Blood and Iron a solid 8 out of 10.

I've been wanting to get my hands on the Hellboy animated movies for awhile now, but just haven't gotten around to it. Glad to see they're worth it, though. :up:

In all fairness, Daimio is a relatively new character. If they plan on adding to the cast, Roger would up next. Then Johann, then Ben.

And Horrorfan's on my ignore list. :o

Blood and Iron was also great. The voice cast in particular was pretty impressive. Ron Perlman's voice is always a joy to hear coming from Hellboy's mouth; it has just the right combination of grumpiness and sarcasm. Doug Jones does an admirable job aping David Hyde Pierce's movie Abe. Peri Gilpin's voice is one of my all-time favorite voices, and it works perfectly for Kate Corrigan. The only big-name star who sounded kind of sub-par was Selma Blair, who sounded like she phoned in her performance a bit.

The story was excellent. It's basically a cold case from Professor Bruttenholm's pre-Hellboy prime that comes back to haunt him, which is my favorite kind of Hellboy story, since it allows Mignola to weave historical fiction into the present-day workings in that seemingly effortless, well-researched way he does. One thing I liked about this plot in particular was the fact that Bruttenholm actually does some heavy lifting toward its resolution, rather than languishing in the background while Hellboy, Abe, and Liz handle everything. I don't want to spoil anything by going any further into it, but Bruttenholm basically emerges as the real hero of the story, giving a nice sense of closure to his era-spanning adventure.

My one disappointment in Blood and Iron, along with the previous direct-to-DVD movie Sword of Storms, is the fact that the cast is kept so small. You can do anything in animation and the plot did call for some extra BPRD members besides the main trio, so why couldn't we have gotten Ben Daimio or Johann Kraus in on the action instead of "the human metal detector"? Oh well, maybe in future DVDs. I'm hoping for a DVD that deals with the discovery of Roger the Homunculus, at the very least.

I'd give Blood and Iron a solid 8 out of 10.

Ok and this thread inspired me to go out and buy a few Hellboy/BRPD trades so that was cool :D

I didn't like sword of storms, is B and I better? It looks so much better, with vampires and werewolves and classic monsters, I think it would be more my thing than the first animated was....is the second movie gonna be based on any comic arcs?

You interested in the video game? It looks really good and has Perlman signed up for voice duties...

I think Blood and Iron was indeed the better of the two. I don't know what the second movie is gonna be based on. I just hope it's good.

I haven't heard anything about the video game. I'm waiting until I move to a new apartment to finally buy a 360, and all I have right now is a PS2 and an old Dreamcast, so I haven't been following video games too much lately.

I just finished up Conqueror Worm last night, and my initial reaction is "More Lobster Johnson, please".

That guy's nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"