The Official Hellboy/B.P.R.D. Thread

This "Darkness Calls", is it collected in TPB form yet? I could've swore I saw Hecate in the Strange Places TBP, along with several of Big Red's older foes. :huh:

Oh, and congrats, photojones! Did you ever check out The Bones of Giants by Christopher Golden? Argueably the best Hellboy novel I've ever read...though I do have a small library of those: The Lost Army, The Bones of Giants, On Earth As It Is In Hell (weakest one, imo), and most recently The Dragon Pool (second favorite). :up:

Darkness Calls is on it's 2nd issue (just came out yesterday), so it'll be awhile before it's collected.

I haven't read any of the Hellboy novels, but I've heard nothing but good things about them. How do they fit in with the comics? Or are they stand alone tales?

I'd say more stand along tales within their own continuity...but do you remember that professor guy from King Vold that had a hole in his hand by the story's end? He's back in The Bones of Giants.

In the comics, I think Kate Corrigan was an old love of Hellboy's, wasn't she? Anyway, in the novels, there's an archaeologist by the name of Anastasia Bransfield who fills that role (though Kate's still mentioned and seen, same with Manning). Their relationship is touched upon in The Lost Army, and revisted in The Dragon Pool.

Finally.

I just got caught up with Hellboy and BPRD. I can't wait to see what's in store for Abe and Daimio. Corp was right: MAJOR revelations about Daimio's past in Garden of Souls.

As for Hellboy, I'm really digging Duncan's art. I know it's blasphemous to say, but I think I like it better than Mignola's more recent stuff. The story continues what's been started since Wake the Devil, and it's closer in tone to the older Hellboy stories than the last couple of minis; a lot more humor.

I finally got Darkness Calls #1, coincidentally the same week that #2 came out. So I read through both and I enjoyed them immensely. I was lost at first since I haven't read Wake the Devil yet, but the recap Mignola provides in this mini was pretty clear on what happened. Once I had a picture of what had come before in my mind, the story lit up and really started getting good.

Fegredo's art is great, but unlike photojones, I can't quite say I prefer it to Mignola's. It is nice to see someone who can make Mignola's very distinctive style of portraying Hellboy's face, in particular, look credible again, though. I've always thought Hellboy looked kind of silly when people tried to ape Mignola's take on his face or not quite like Hellboy when they tried to draw him their own way. Fegredo manages to capture Hellboy in a way that no other artist besides Mignola has for me. He's also pretty damn good at the other Hellboy staples--namely, skeleton chicks, Lovecraftian monsters, and anthropomorphic animal demons. I'll always prefer Mignola, but since Mignola's too busy to draw now, Fegredo is an excellent substitute.

Can we at least agree that Guy Davis is the only artist for BPRD?

Well, Davis or Mignola. Mignola's an acceptable artist for anything he's created.

I dunno man. The combination of Davis and Stewart is pretty hard to beat.

Yeah, but Mignola created the characters. Whenever I think of Hellboy or anything in his world, I have a Mignola picture in my mind, even if he's never drawn the character.

Anything as heavy as the story of The Chained Coffin?

Awesome...the Pirate Lord will be on the hunt for this Darkness Calls.

Awesome...the Pirate Lord will be on the hunt for this Darkness Calls.

I would seriously suggest you pick up The Third Wish and The Island before you do that. Those two are really the first chapters to the story that continues on in Darkness Calls. They're only two issues a piece, and they shouldn't be hard to find. They've also been collected in the Strange Places trade.

I'm glad it's a mini and not a one shot. A great character like LJ, deserves a mini at least.

If only there were some way to get him into the modern-day BPRD. On the one hand, I admire Mignola for sticking to his guns and keeping Roger dead and Lobster Johnson in the WWII era and continuing to evolve characters like Abe and Johann, but on the other hand it'd be so awesome to see all of the characters together.

If only there were some way to get him into the modern-day BPRD. On the one hand, I admire Mignola for sticking to his guns and keeping Roger dead and Lobster Johnson in the WWII era and continuing to evolve characters like Abe and Johann, but on the other hand it'd be so awesome to see all of the characters together.

I agree with you about Mignola having the cajones to utilize "dead is dead". Especially when the second Hellboy movie is going to feature Roger.

Damn...I miss Roger. :(

I love how he's hitting on all the women in the BPRD, too. He's so inept at it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"